Othram - General Discussion - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the profile was built, Othram’s in-house genealogy team used forensic genetic genealogy to produce investigate leads.

In mid-February of 2023, the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office received the Othram report indicating the DNA profile may belong to Jeffery Todd Sydow, born in 1963.

The report included several genetic relatives, including a possible sister named Shirl from Missouri.

Sheriff’s investigators were able to contact Shirl, who confirmed that she did have a brother named Jeffery Todd Sydow.

Shirl told investigators that for unknown reasons Jeffery stopped communicating with family members. Their last contact with him was in the mid-1990s.

Over the years Shirl had tried to reach out to Jeffery but could not locate him. As family was not sure whether the loss of contact was intentional, Jeffery was never reported as a missing person.

The DOJ was able to compare the one latent print with fingerprints known to be Jeffery’s and got a positive match.

Family members are making arrangements with the Humboldt County Coroner’s Office to have Jeffery’s remains released for burial with other deceased family members.

“We’d like to thank the California Department of Justice DNA Lab and Othram for their outstanding work and assistance in solving this case and providing the Sydow family some closure for their missing loved one,” the sheriff’s office said.

The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office is continuing its partnership with the California DOJ and Othram, and is reviewing several of missing persons investigations for the use of this latest DNA technology.

Just in time for the weekend:

Thrilled to share that as part of a longstanding collaboration with Will County Coroner's Office, we helped identify Marie R. O’Brien, of Aurora, Illinois, found in the rubble of a demolished building in 1997. This case was a DNASolves crowdfund and funded by ALL OF YOU! Thank you!! We do not yet have a photo of Marie, but we are working on locating one with the law enforcement agency.

Thrilled to share that as part of a longstanding collaboration with Will County Coroner's Office, we helped identify Marie R. O’Brien, of Aurora, Illinois, found in the rubble of a demolished building in 1997. This case was a DNASolves crowdfund and funded by ALL OF YOU! Thank you!! We do not yet have a photo of Marie, but we are working on locating one with the law enforcement agency.

Great to see the collaboration with Will County, Othram! I know they have an unidentified Jane Doe from 1968, I am sure they are eager to see her identified too!

Excited to share that as part of a longstanding collaboration with Snohomish County Medical Examiner's and Sheriff's Office, Othram Inc assisted in the identification of 29-year-old Gary Lee Haynie. This case was funded by DNASolves.com!

Sleep well, Gary.

Identified! - WA - Everett, Wht/NativeMale 30-70, UP14154, wallet, clothes, shoes, Jan'79 - namus removed

Second case in one day! Not sure there is a Websleuths thread but here goes...

We helped the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office & the California DOJ in identifying 35-year-old Jeffery Todd Sydow, whose remains were found in 1998. This case is the first of many, as part of an ongoing collaboration with the California DOJ.

After 25 years, Humboldt County John Doe is Identified

Sleep well, Jeffery.

No Doe thread for Jeffrey that I could find.

Sleep well, Marie.

IL - IL - Will Co, WhtRace UP5206, 15-24, in demolished factory near I-80, May'97

I couldn't find missing threads for any of these folks.

Bonus case for the weekend!

As part of a longstanding collaboration with the MS Office of the Medical Examiner, we are pleased to share we helped identify a young girl, whose remains were disrupted by Hurricane Katrina years earlier.

As part of a longstanding collaboration with the MS Office of the Medical Examiner, we are pleased to share we helped identify a young girl, whose remains were disrupted by Hurricane Katrina years earlier.
Sleep well, sweetie.

No Doe thread for this girl.

Wow, any more California cases on the way? They have so many unidentified.
This Barstow California case is so disturbing.

Thread 'CA - Barstow, HispFem 14-19, UP6718, severed head in backpack, Feb'10'
CA - CA - Barstow, HispFem 14-19, UP6718, severed head in backpack, Feb'10

This warms my heart more than I can say!!!
I worked coordinating teams that were on the ground the day after Katrina doing inspections of homes and remediation work to save anything still remaining. The reports went through me also and looking at the photos was so heartbreaking. I literally saw caskets floated out of the ground and half a block down the street, piled up against the remains of a home. What was worse, no one paid attention to them for so long, because there were so many other priorities.
I don’t think I was aware of this collaboration, so I want to personally commend you for giving these individuals their names back. I hope peace is brought to both them and their families.

This warms my heart more than I can say!!!
I worked coordinating teams that were on the ground the day after Katrina doing inspections of homes and remediation work to save anything still remaining. The reports went through me also and looking at the photos was so heartbreaking. I literally saw caskets floated out of the ground and half a block down the street, piled up against the remains of a home. What was worse, no one paid attention to them for so long, because there were so many other priorities.
I don’t think I was aware of this collaboration, so I want to personally commend you for giving these individuals their names back. I hope peace is brought to both them and their families.
Thank you and thanks for the work that you did after the disaster. We would hope that with this new technology, we could provide frontline assistance for the next natural disaster in realtime.

Great way to start the week:

We assisted in another current case, this time helping the Ward County Sheriff's Office in identifying 63-year-old, Manly Bacon. The man was found last October by the highway and he could not be identified through traditional means. There does not appear to be a Websleuths thread for this case.

Great way to start the week:

We assisted in another current case, this time helping the Ward County Sheriff's Office in identifying 63-year-old, Manly Bacon. The man was found last October by the highway and he could not be identified through traditional means. There does not appear to be a Websleuths thread for this case.

Sleep well, Manly.

And you're correct, no Doe or missing threads for him.

Two in one day: We are thrilled that we were able to assist the MA State Police & local agencies in identifying a 1978 female homicide victim from Granby, Massachusetts as Patricia Ann Tucker, born July 28, 1950.

Two in one day: We are thrilled that we were able to assist the MA State Police & local agencies in identifying a 1978 female homicide victim from Granby, Massachusetts as Patricia Ann Tucker, born July 28, 1950.

Here she is!

I suspect we know who killed her.

Here she is!

I suspect we know who killed her.
Thanks for sharing the thread. Yes, it seems there is a suspect identified!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth