Othram - General Discussion - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
New cases:

Looks like only the Baby Doe has a thread, though the NamUs number for the teen is mentioned in the description as a 'companion case'.

GA - GA - Norcross, UnsSex, UP90200, human remains found in a box, Feb'98

Perhaps a thread could be created for the teen, or the Baby Doe thread could be expanded to include both?

Thanks for sharing! Two cases and lots to do.
It's an interesting one. I'm wondering if these little ones were removed from their original resting place because a cemetery was cleared to make way for development. But then, why were they never reinterred? Such a mystery. Hope you can help us to solve it.

It's an interesting one. I'm wondering if these little ones were removed from their original resting place because a cemetery was cleared to make way for development. But then, why were they never reinterred? Such a mystery. Hope you can help us to solve it.
Certainly a possibility. We will investigate.

Thanks for sharing! Two cases and lots to do.

I love the business model of crowd funding to cover the costs of doing this work. Individuals, communities, service groups and other sources of funding can be organized a lot quicker than relying on gov't funding.

Are you finding that this type of funding has a down-side, that the intriguing cases get funded more readily than others? Are some cases being left behind because of various manifestations of bigotry?

I love the business model of crowd funding to cover the costs of doing this work. Individuals, communities, service groups and other sources of funding can be organized a lot quicker than relying on gov't funding.

Are you finding that this type of funding has a down-side, that the intriguing cases get funded more readily than others? Are some cases being left behind because of various manifestations of bigotry?
Crowdfunding is very powerful but alone, it is not enough. Like you said, it takes time to develop government funding opportunities so crowdfunding acts as a bridge until then and it means the world to families that have already waited so long for answers.

In terms of your second question, it's something to monitor for sure. We do not pick what cases we crowdfund. Cases are selected by agencies and if the DNA evidence is good enough, we will try to help. We want this technology to be available to all agencies and all applicable cases.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. We are officially launching our new website on Monday. Would love for the Websleuths community to take a look: Othram - A Revolution in Cold Case Resolution.

Hold on to your (Websleuths) threads because we have lots more case announcements coming next week.
Nice site, easy to navigate and the handy ''solve your case'' option is great especially for people new to the technology!
''Othram technology enables the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) and the Australian Federal Police’s (AFP) National DNA Program to identify human remains and resolve missing persons cases. Local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies across the United States and internationally have partnered with Othram to break through previously impenetrable forensic DNA barriers and close previously unsolvable cases.
Solve your case''

Hope everyone has a great weekend. We are officially launching our new website on Monday. Would love for the Websleuths community to take a look: Othram - A Revolution in Cold Case Resolution.

Hold on to your (Websleuths) threads because we have lots more case announcements coming next week.
Great to see the mention of working with the AFP DNA Program. You do great work in the US, but Australia's Does need you, too! Very excited.

Very nice! Love the cool new graphics!
I agree with @dotr that it’s easy to navigate. I noticed the store, and am looking forward to seeing what will be offered there! Speaking of $$$, the best I could tell crowdfunding donations will still be done through the dnasolves site, which is accessible by clicking on ‘How the case was solved’ in the ‘Recent casework’ section.
Thanks for sharing your new site. I enjoyed having a look around. Have a great weekend!

I agree with @dotr that it’s easy to navigate. I noticed the store, and am looking forward to seeing what will be offered there! Speaking of $$$, the best I could tell crowdfunding donations will still be done through the dnasolves site, which is accessible by clicking on ‘How the case was solved’ in the ‘Recent casework’ section.
Thanks for sharing your new site. I enjoyed having a look around. Have a great weekend!
DNASolves always has and always will be our advocacy site and our place for crowdfunding cases.

Swag store will launch next week!

Store launched: Othram Store
The net proceeds from all purchases go towards funding DNASolves cases.

For those that missed it last week, the new Othram site launched: Othram - A Revolution in Cold Case Resolution.
Same mission, new site & look.

Last edited:
I found this fascinating article in Popular Mechanics, about how new algorithms are speeding up the process of narrowing down the area of the family tree to focus on, to more efficiently find DNA targets.

Anyone interested in the practical application of math, will find this quite interesting. Hurrah for using math to solve crimes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard