Othram - General Discussion - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we are always throwing cases your way and you can't take on them all, but I can't help but mention these two Florida UID's. (One from 2006 and another from 1980) Thank you Othram - The Lab of Miracle Workers ;)

This man spent years living under a false identity.

This last one was exhumed in 2010 for further testing/DNA material but nothing further announced in the news.

I know we are always throwing cases your way and you can't take on them all, but I can't help but mention these two Florida UID's. (One from 2006 and another from 1980) Thank you Othram - The Lab of Miracle Workers ;)

This last one was exhumed in 2010 for further testing/DNA material but nothing further announced in the news.
Great suggestion for Steven Mason, the man with the false identity.

"The Knox County Regional Forensic Center is tasked with identifying bodies every single day. It's not always that simple."

A Texas-based company could provide that answer. Othram Inc. is cracking mysteries across the country using advanced genomic techniques including what it calls "Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing."

Last September, it identified remains found decades ago in Campbell County as Tracy Sue Walker, a missing Indiana teenager.

In March, it identified remains found decades ago in Gatlinburg as Charlotte Roberta Henry.

"If that is successful, we believe that we're going to be able to clear several of our unidentified cases by just finding familial DNA and being able to identify the next of kin of who these individuals were," Thomas said. "Hopefully by this time next year, we may have several of our unidentified cases closed which we're very excited about."
We are excited to get on these cases. We are also working in TN with TBI: Unidentified Human Remains Initiative.

There was a case out of Knox county quite awhile back where a man was found by the RR tracks. He was wearing a shirt with an emblem to an Italian restaurant, I believe. I was hoping that would be one sent to Othram but I don’t see any Knox county cases listed. Do you have any at all for Knox?

I will need to go find the information on this UID. I know the detail above is vague.

ETA: Found it….

PMI was estimated at one month so I felt there was hope for an identification eventually.

Found in the Coster Rail Yard area in Knoxville 8/30/88. Perimortem cut marks found on several skeletal elements. Body then buried under railroad tracks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

There was a case out of Knox county quite awhile back where a man was found by the RR tracks. He was wearing a shirt with an emblem to an Italian restaurant, I believe. I was hoping that would be one sent to Othram but I don’t see any Knox county cases listed. Do you have any at all for Knox?

I will need to go find the information on this UID. I know the detail above is vague.

ETA: Found it….

PMI was estimated at one month so I felt there was hope for an identification eventually.

Found in the Coster Rail Yard area in Knoxville 8/30/88. Perimortem cut marks found on several skeletal elements. Body then buried under railroad tracks.

Thanks we will take a look!

How about Mr. Bones from Bedford, Pa? He may now be Pennsylvania’s longest unidentified decedent, from fall of 1958. No exhumation would be necessary, as his remains are in a cardboard barrel in the custody of the State Police. His case is 585UMPA.

Bumping for Mr. Bones.
His remains have been sitting in that barrel at the Bedford Barracks since 1958. How does this work, does LE have to contact Othram to request assistance or does Othram approach LE?
I doubt that this case, which is now quite solvable, will be solved. Sadly, there is seemingly no interest in doing so.

Othram is thrilled to support the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) in clearing their backlog of unidentified remains. This time, we are excited to share that we assisted in identifying 28-year-old Jerry Harrison of Little Rock, Arkansas, whose body was found in 1986. Expect lots more updates from TBI this year!

More on the TBI initiative: Unidentified Human Remains Initiative.

SEXRACEDATE FOUNDCOUNTYESTIMATED AGE RANGE
MaleWhite12/2/1977Johnson51-60
FemaleWhite10/21/1981Cheatham14-17
FemaleWhite8/5/1983McMinn20-30
MaleBlack8/26/1983Cumberland15-20
FemaleWhite4/2/1985Cheatham30-40
MaleWhite10/1/1985Loudon51-60
MaleWhite4/7/1988Hickman22-35
MaleHispanic8/9/1999Cocke25-29
MaleWhite5/18/2018Dickson47-67

Othram is thrilled to support the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) in clearing their backlog of unidentified remains. This time, we are excited to share that we assisted in identifying 28-year-old Jerry Harrison of Little Rock, Arkansas, whose body was found in 1986. Expect lots more updates from TBI this year!

More on the TBI initiative: Unidentified Human Remains Initiative.

TN - TN - Claiborne Co, WhtMale 31-40, UP1570, in wooded area, winter clothes, no teeth, Aug’86

SEXRACEDATE FOUNDCOUNTYESTIMATED AGE RANGE
MaleWhite12/2/1977Johnson51-60
FemaleWhite10/21/1981Cheatham14-17
FemaleWhite8/5/1983McMinn20-30
MaleBlack8/26/1983Cumberland15-20
FemaleWhite4/2/1985Cheatham30-40
MaleWhite10/1/1985Loudon51-60
MaleWhite4/7/1988Hickman22-35
MaleHispanic8/9/1999Cocke25-29
MaleWhite5/18/2018Dickson47-67
Lots of cases and lots of future solves!

Second case today.

As part of an ongoing collaboration with Humboldt County Sheriff's Office & California DOJ, we are excited to share that Othram was able to assist in identifying a Wayne Adam Ford victim found in 1997, as Kerry Ann Cummings, born in 1972.

Second case today.

As part of an ongoing collaboration with Humboldt County Sheriff's Office & California DOJ, we are excited to share that Othram was able to assist in identifying a Wayne Adam Ford victim found in 1997, as Kerry Ann Cummings, born in 1972.

We are excited to get on these cases. We are also working in TN with TBI: Unidentified Human Remains Initiative.

"The Knox County Regional Forensic Center is tasked with identifying bodies every single day. It's not always that simple."

A Texas-based company could provide that answer. Othram Inc. is cracking mysteries across the country using advanced genomic techniques including what it calls "Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing."

Last September, it identified remains found decades ago in Campbell County as Tracy Sue Walker, a missing Indiana teenager.

In March, it identified remains found decades ago in Gatlinburg as Charlotte Roberta Henry.

"If that is successful, we believe that we're going to be able to clear several of our unidentified cases by just finding familial DNA and being able to identify the next of kin of who these individuals were," Thomas said. "Hopefully by this time next year, we may have several of our unidentified cases closed which we're very excited about."

Very good article profiling each of the 10 cases that have already been sent to Othram from TBI:

Who am I? 10 cold cases TBI hopes new DNA initiative will solve

Correct links added to two of the threads above, apologies.

Last edited:
Last year, Othram identified skeletal remains discovered in Newport Township, Pennsylvania in 2012 as Joan Marie Dymond of Wilkes-Barre. She was a 14-year-old teenager who vanished from Andover State Park in 1969 and was likely murdered.

Tomorrow at 2 PM Eastern Standard Time, Pennsylvania State Police will hold a press conference to discuss an important update in Dymond's case.

Update on remains identified as teen missing since 1969

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members