PA PA - Albany Twp, WhtMale 25-40, UP5661, in cave @ The Pinnacle, ring w/blue stone, clothes, Jan'77

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Exclusions
MP4392 James Charapko 08/28/1975 Miami-Dade FL
MP7201 John Chocha, Jr.07/19/1969 Dauphin PA
MP23570 Warren Niederfringer 06/01/1972 Hartford CT

If neither Paul or Michael are a match, any update of this one? Joseph Bichrest.

Thumbnail

I've always believed him to be a good match physically and he also has ties to PA. It's mentioned earlier in the thread that he was suggested to the MSP and I have no doubts that it was followed and he is probably a rule out but putting him back out there just in case.
He's not on the rule out list.

No he’s not. I haven’t read the thread in a few years. Is he on their radar? I’d be very surprised if it’s not him.

Original

Exclusions
MP4392 James Charapko 08/28/1975 Miami-Dade FL
MP7201 John Chocha, Jr.07/19/1969 Dauphin PA
MP23570 Warren Niederfringer 06/01/1972 Hartford CT

Thanks for sharing. Not sure why John Chocha’s name was included but thankful of the interest.

a family member shared DNA that was not successful to a match.

This was already known and the thought was the DNA was going to be compared to a body buried on Carlisle Military Base. That was not the case.

John Chocha Jr. was buried there in 1969. He was admitted to HSH prior as a political dissident (similar to Ionia State Hospital/Prison) because he was a cousin to Boleslaw Chocha of Poland. They never met but due to war with Vietnam (that Poland supported North Vietnam), he was considered a possible threat.

Passports, immigration papers and photos now prove without a doubt there was no relationship between The two.

There is currently a move to have the files released by writing the White House at whitehouse.gov/contact

I’m the grandson who has the documents and investigated thoroughly with the help of friends, family and law enforcement.

No he’s not. I haven’t read the thread in a few years. Is he on their radar? I’d be very surprised if it’s not him.

I talked to Maine SP a while back about Joseph Bichrest but I never heard back where they ended up with their investigation as him being this JD

Depending on outcome of previously submitted possibility, John Haywood Barreto should be considered. Many similarities in physical appearance and timeline for missing veteran is almost exact. He would let his hair grow long with full beard, reddish color. Bright, blue eyes. Traveled aimlessly. Age within range and height/weight very close to UID. More details in link.

John Haywood Barreto

@Caring1 Hey could you post The Current NamUs Exclusion List for this John Doe?
3 Missing Person Exclusions

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP7201John Chocha, Jr.
Date of Last ContactJuly 19, 1969
StatePA
CountyDauphin

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP23570Warren Niederfringer
Date of Last ContactJune 01, 1972
StateCT
CountyHartford

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4392James Charapko
Date of Last ContactAugust 28, 1975
StateFL
CountyMiami-Dade

The full skeletal remains belong to a John Doe otherwise referred to as “Pinnacle Man.”

The man’s frozen body was found Jan. 16, 1977, in a cave at the Pinnacle, a popular vista along the Appalachian Trail in Albany Township, by two Bethlehem teens who were hiking.

The man, who was believed to be 25 to 30 years old when he died, is one of 11 unidentified human remains in the custody of the coroner’s office. Five of them, including part of a skull found in a pond last year in Amity Township, are kept in the coroner’s office because they contain no flesh. The others are interred in crypts in cemeteries in the county.

Fielding said he doesn’t believe anyone would be OK with their remains stored in a closet in the coroner’s office indefinitely, so he asked his staff what was being done about the matter.

“We just don’t think it’s right,” he said when asked why the office was concerned about identifying bones that have been in storage for as long as 45 years. “They shouldn’t be here. They should be with somebody who knows them.”

The office has been working with Charles Evans Cemetery in Reading to find dignified spaces to store the unclaimed ashes of identified descendants, Fielding said.

“With ‘Pinnacle Man,’ for example, he’s an unidentified person,” Bonilla said. “We have his skeleton still with us, and we can’t really cremate him because we don’t know who he is, and once we cremate him there’s no chance of extrapolating anything.”
Although “Pinnacle Man’s” remains were buried in the potter’s field in 1977, he wasn’t initially on the coroner’s office radar. Someone brought to their attention that the long-buried man was still unidentified.

“We had to reconstruct the case file because we knew he existed,” Bonilla said. “And now we had people telling us this guy in 1977 was never identified. We found the autopsy report and sort of rebuilt the case file.”

According to records, the man found in the cave was about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighed about 155 pounds. The autopsy did not determine when he died but indicated the body was fairly well preserved.

Bonilla said a state police cold case investigator identified two potential matches, both men from other states who were in their early 20s when they went missing in 1975.

A forensic odontologist affiliated with NamUs, Dr. Richard Scanlon, compared the dental records of two missing men to “Pinnacle Man” and found several similarities but was unable to make a positive identification.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back