PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

Also another question please if anyone knows.It says in Namus also that Anecdotal information may connect this victim to the state of Kentucky: Prior to the victim's discovery, in September 1957, local police in Bedford Borough encountered a loitering man in possession of a rifle; this unidentified man said he was enroute from Kentucky to Canada.

Where in Canada was he headed to?

I am now fairly sure of Mr. Bones's association with Manhattan. I found Active Locksmith located at 195 Avenue A in the East Village, in 1946. The Kiffe store was one mile away in SoHo. They only had one store in the whole world. I have not looked into the Kentucky or Canada angles yet. My next step will be to determine what years Active was at that location, to narrow things down some.

Thanks to Ms. Suzanne for suggesting interlibrary loan of NYC phone books for that purpose.

I want to try to get the Village Voice to run a story on him. One thing he never has had is national exposure.

LE seems pretty sure of his height, probably 6'4". I have not found anyone that big missing yet. Do any of you know of an online site for people looking for long lost friends or relatives?

"Mr. Bones" was obviously a sort of "free spirit" and a sort of rugged individual/nonconformest who traveled a great deal perhaps simply going where the open road took him.

Clues in his belongings indicate connections to Chicago, Ill, Indianapolis, IN, New York, NY, and of course - Pennsylvania.

It is possible that he was traveling by motorcycle, but just as possible that he was hitchhiking or driving a car just before he met his death near Bedford.

The books are an indication that he had an interest in poetry, history, reading, etc. But these were not textbooks, as such. Maybe he associated with the "Beat" movement which was popular in the 1950's. Publishing a story about him in "The Village Voice" might generate some interest.

Did he have a mother or father or other family looking for him and wondering about him? Where was his home?

Hello Richard,
His contacts were made in Chicago, the rifle was sold in Ft. Wayne, Ind. in 1939. Other than the key with the locksmith's address in the East Village, the mess kit, and being found in Pennsylvania that is all we have. The contacts were not sold at the factory, and the rifle may have gone through several hands before Mr. B. got it because of the 20 year time span. Those seem to have been pretty well investigated at the time.
I keep trying to find a match but so far no one missing is as big as Mr. B. At the top of his given height range, he may have been 6'6"! Richard Colvin Cox was much smaller. Ronald Tammen also was much smaller. Both of them resemble Mr. B's sketch fairly well, especially Tammen.
Anyone know how tall Judge Crater was?:banghead: He was last seen a few blocks from 195 Avenue A.

There is always a chance that Mr. Bones will be identified. Last May, a young man who had been found dead near the PA turnpike in November of 1968 was finally identified after 44 years.

Mr. Bones left behind a lot of clues. Maybe something will pan out...

There is always a chance that Mr. Bones will be identified. Last May, a young man who had been found dead near the PA turnpike in November of 1968 was finally identified after 44 years.

Mr. Bones left behind a lot of clues. Maybe something will pan out...

Thanks Richard. If I could get them to do isotope analysis and familial DNA it might narrow things down a bit geographically. The isotope analysis costs quite a bit and I'm afraid there is nothing in the budget for poor Mr. Bones.
Sometimes I wonder if the "clues" are clues at all. When I camped a lot I took all kinds of things to start a fire. His books might have no more significance than that.
There could not be that many missing men as big as he was. Roughly the 95th percentile.
I am trying to get his story and that sketch out there. I think the break, if we ever get one, will be family looking for him, at this point probably family who never knew him. I'll keep at it.

Bumping for Mr. Bones. Here is hoping that 2013 will be the year when he is identified. He is the second longest unidentified decedent listed on the Pennsylvania missing persons site. Only The Boy In The Box has been unidentified for longer.

There is action on the Mr. Bones case.

For months now I have been working on this, and late last year found a missing person who may very well be Mr. Bones. He matches in physical size and description (down to hair color), time since LKA, and cause of death.

As he is NOT listed on any missing persons site, and out of respect for the privacy and dignity of his family, in any discussion on this board let's call him PMB, for "Potentially Mr. Bones". No names, please.

Because of information found by some very gifted researchers, the Attorney General's office in PMB's home state has reopened the investigation. A good investigator is on the case and I have confidence in him. I expect PMB to be listed on NamUS soon. DNA testing of relatives of PMB should soon occur, although the comparison is not an optimal one.

I hope this is a match and we can send Mr. Bones home. Even if we don't get a match, the family's DNA will be in the system for comparison to other UIDs.

Thanks to Richard, CarlK, and Ms. Suzanne for your help and encouragement. I nearly gave up at one point. It has been a long, lonely, dark road - but the end may now be in sight.

At some point I hope to be able to reveal to you exactly who he is, what happened to him, and how he ended up in the mountains of Pennsylvania. At this time I cannot, and ask your forgiveness and patience on that account.

I'd like to "like" your post hundreds of times, Magnum P.E.! Even though I don't have much to say, I have diligently kept up with the updates posted by you and others on the mystery of "Mr. Bones." I am grateful for your persistence and tenacity in seeking out PMB. Kudos!!

May I please ask are they sure Mr Bones have been dead up to possibly a year?
I've been looking at Max Edward Metcalf missing from Wisconsin October 7th 1958.He fits Mr Bones description pretty good.There is apparently DNA on Max Edward Metcalf.Have they checked these two for a match? Can they?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/15603/4796/

Case Information
Status
Missing
First name
Max
Middle name
Edward
Last name
Metcalf
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen
October 07, 1958 20:30
Date entered
07/25/2012
Age last seen
30 to 40 years old
Age now
0 years old
Race
White
Ethnicity
Other
Sex
Male
Height (inches)
65.0 to 75.0
Weight (pounds)
190.0 to 220.0

May I please ask are they sure Mr Bones have been dead up to possibly a year?
I've been looking at Max Edward Metcalf missing from Wisconsin October 7th 1958.He fits Mr Bones description pretty good.There is apparently DNA on Max Edward Metcalf.Have they checked these two for a match? Can they?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/15603/4796/

Case Information
Status
Missing
First name
Max
Middle name
Edward
Last name
Metcalf
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen
October 07, 1958 20:30
Date entered
07/25/2012
Age last seen
30 to 40 years old
Age now
0 years old
Race
White
Ethnicity
Other
Sex
Male
Height (inches)
65.0 to 75.0
Weight (pounds)
190.0 to 220.0

Hi Ms. Suzanne,
He surely does fit Mr. Bones in many ways, but he went missing only hours before Mr. Bones's skeletal remains were found hundreds of miles away - the next morning, in fact. If he had gone missing in 1957 or so I'd be all over this lead. In our area, it takes months to skeletize, a year or so to not have a greasy coating on them. They were well aware of that in 1958 and so were pretty sure of how long Mr. B. had been dead. It is one of the few certainties in the case.
I wonder about the 10 inch height range for Mr. Metcalf. I've never seen one that large.
So far as I know, DNA testing on Mr. B's possible relatives is happening. No one will return my emails about the case at this time.

Ok.Thank You..I don't know his story or if he really came up missing on that date or not or if animals got to Mr Bones ect....I would check with Max Edward Metcalf if they have the DNA too.

October 9, 2013 will mark the 55th anniversary of the day Mr. Bones was found. The granddaughter of PMB (Potentially Mr. Bones), a really great person, is unfortunately not a suitable match for DNA testing. Results might be a possible relationship but no certainty of a connection, so LE has apparently opted not to do the test. Her privacy will be respected here.

The cooperation of known male descendants of a male sibling of PMB will be needed. In keeping with Websleuths protocol, they will not be contacted by me and in fact are likely not aware at all of the investigation at this point. It is hoped that when they read the story they will come forward. LE in PMB's home state does have the contact information.

I am as certain of Mr. Bones's identity as I can be without the DNA.

Watch for some important details to be released in a newspaper article around the anniversary date. This will answer many questions, and much more can be discussed here at that time. I can tell you a few things now that I believe with fair certainty to be true:

1) There was no New York Connection. I chased my tail on that one for a good while.
2) He was a homicide victim killed in another state and his remains were dumped in Bedford. I could not determine if his killer was familiar with the area but I think he probably was.
3) The belongings were red herrings left by his killer, including the books. He actually was a man with little formal education.
4)None of us found a missing person report because there never was one.

Hang in there a while longer, old friend. If I am right we are close to getting you out of that barrel and back to your hometown where you can receive a proper burial near your family.

Hello Richard,
His contacts were made in Chicago, the rifle was sold in Ft. Wayne, Ind. in 1939. Other than the key with the locksmith's address in the East Village, the mess kit, and being found in Pennsylvania that is all we have. The contacts were not sold at the factory, and the rifle may have gone through several hands before Mr. B. got it because of the 20 year time span. ....

Actually, the information about the rifle being sold in 1938 or 39 was not correct in the origional case summary and in early posts in this forum.

The follwing is from my 2008 post (number 291 on page 12):

... "Although the Doenetwork and early posts in this thread described it as a "Springfield Rifle", that was evidently only a sort of generic name meaning that it was a bolt action type. I spoke with the officer working this cold case, and he described it to me as a Remington Model 721A in 30-06 caliber.

The Remington 721A (a civilian hunting rifle) was introduced in 1948 and last manufactured in 1962. These dates do not support a statement made in one of the posts which dated the rifle to 1939. It was, in fact, a fairly new rifle at the time of this young man's death (1958). Documents indicated that it was origionally purchased in Fort Wayne, Indiana, but no records were kept back then as to who that origional retail purchaser was. The date of that purchase is also in question." ...

The rifle was likely sold in Fort Wayne, Indiana but the date of that sale had to have been some time between 1948 and 1958.

I'm impressed by your tenacity Magnum (and Richard, who got this ball rolling so long ago.) I'll keep an eye out for the news stories as well. Amazing if you can close the books on this one...

Dating the rifle...

The manufacture date of the Remington rifle found with "Mr. Bones" could be determined very easily simply by examining the rifle barrel. On the left side of the barrel, just forward of the reciever, is a three letter code which corresponds to the month and year that the rifle was made. The serial number could also be used to determine/confirm the year of manufacture. These "barrel codes" are something unique to the Remington Arms Company, and they have been using them for many years.

While the year of manufacture in and of itself would not prove anything, it might indicate if the rifle had been in someone's possession for a period of time, or if it had been recently purchased prior to "Mr. Bones's" death.

Several boxes of .30-06 ammunition were also found in the dead man's belongings. They would have had lot numbers marked on the boxes, which also could provide a date of cartridge manufacture. Was only one cartridge missing? Were there fired cases in the boxes, along with live cartridges? Were any fired bullets recovered from the scene?

If "Mr. Bones" committed suicide with this rifle, he would have had to pull the trigger with his toe, or would have had to use a stick or tree branch. What was the configuration/arrangement between the body and the rifle when found? Also, was there only one fired shell casing in the chamber of the rifle - or were there other cartridges in the rifle's magazine? If he intended suicide, one cartridge would have done the job without the need for a follow up shot. If the rifle were fully loaded (magazine and chamber), one might conclude that it was an accident, or a murder with the rifle left behind at the scene.

I'm impressed by your tenacity Magnum (and Richard, who got this ball rolling so long ago.) I'll keep an eye out for the news stories as well. Amazing if you can close the books on this one...

Thanks, Irish Eyes. If I have found Mr. B.'s identity Richard gets partial credit. We have shared insightful emails on this case and he was the one who got us started. I never went into much about the rifle as the trooper in charge of the case is not communicative.
I can however add one other important piece of information: the person (long beyond earthy justice now) who LE suspected of killing PMB in 1957 had a business in (drum roll) .....Fort Wayne, Indiana. I don't think it was Mr. B's.

There are other circumstantial bits shared by PMB family members that I can't post here yet. I looked very very hard for reasons that Mr. B. could NOT be PMB. I could not find one, not in months of investigation. One thing that has bothered me all along, no one would ever tell me if PMB's head wound and Mr. B's head wound were compatible. If it turns out they weren't, then I have wasted a lot of time. Cops like to get information, they don't like to share it.
An overlay of images of PMB and Mr.B done by Carl K. (thanks) was an "aha" moment. The differences were in the parts they guess on. PMB had protruding ears compared to the reconstruction sketch of Mr. B. Photos show he was indeed a bruiser of a man, having been a boxer in his youth and standing over 6 feet.

Anyway, as a friend of mine told me, if Mr. B is not PMB then he ought to be.

This has always been a fascinating case with so many clues and dead ends.

Some of the items found with "Mr. Bones" include:

Remington Rifle and ammunition
Canteen
Camp Cooking items
Books
Motorcycle Jacket and Boots
Keys
Contact Lenses
and much more

But so many questions regarding not only what he was found with, but also what was NOT with him:

Identification
Wallet
Vehicle (motorcycle? car?)
Appropriate clothing for camping or hunting
etc.

Was he traveling on his own? Was he part of a group? Was he a victim of murder or was he a suicide? So many questions.

Actually, the information about the rifle being sold in 1938 or 39 was not correct in the origional case summary and in early posts in this forum.

The follwing is from my 2008 post (number 291 on page 12):

... "Although the Doenetwork and early posts in this thread described it as a "Springfield Rifle", that was evidently only a sort of generic name meaning that it was a bolt action type. I spoke with the officer working this cold case, and he described it to me as a Remington Model 721A in 30-06 caliber.

The Remington 721A (a civilian hunting rifle) was introduced in 1948 and last manufactured in 1962. These dates do not support a statement made in one of the posts which dated the rifle to 1939. It was, in fact, a fairly new rifle at the time of this young man's death (1958). Documents indicated that it was origionally purchased in Fort Wayne, Indiana, but no records were kept back then as to who that origional retail purchaser was. The date of that purchase is also in question." ...

The rifle was likely sold in Fort Wayne, Indiana but the date of that sale had to have been some time between 1948 and 1958.

Thanks Richard for making the make/model of the gun more clear. I remember thinking when I first saw the gun described as a "Springfield" that maybe it was mistakenly called that because the .30-06 Cal. is technically referreed to ".30-06 Springfield". Just like there are calibers such as .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, 7MM Reminington Mag, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc.

At first I was puzzled with so much ammo left at the scene but if Mr. B was in fact killed and then dumped there it makes sense that the killer would dump the gun there and all ammo he had linking him to the gun as well.

Tracing a "long gun" even today would be hard for LE. Two years ago I had my house broken into and 2 shotguns were stolen. Of course I reported them stolen and gave the serial numbers to the officer who responded but what I found out was that the state did not track "long gun" serials and me giving the serial numbers would only be beneficial in claiming the guns if they were ever recovered.
So I kindly asked the state police that if my gun was used in a homicide and left at the scene. How would they trace it to me if I had not reported it stolen.
The state police told me they would have had to call the manufacturer and find out what gun shop/store they orginally shipped it to.
From there they could only rely on the gun shop's records to trace it back to the owner. But the orginal owner probably sold it to someone..who may be the killer or he also may have sold it to the killer.
So obviously having the gun is a good piece of evidence but it's not surprising to me at all that LE has only a dead lead there.

Gun laws were real lax in the old days. I remember back in the 80's when I bought my first rifle I just gave the guy at the store 150.00 cash and he handed me the rifle..that's it. I could have used the rifle in a homicide the next day dumped the gun at the scene and there was nothing at all linking me to that gun. Even if they went to the store I bought it from the only thing they would have had to go with a maybe a physical decription if the store owner remembered me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back