Identified! PA - Bensalem, WhtFem 461UFPA, 20-30, pregnant, in pumphouse, Jan'88 - Lisa Todd

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — Bucks County authorities have identified the skeletal remains of a young woman found on the grounds of the abandoned Publicker Distillery in Bensalem in the 1980s.

Investigators say the girl, known as Publicker Jane Doe, is really 17-year-old Lisa Todd from Philadelphia — who was also pregnant, which investigators have known since the bones were found.

Exclusive: Skeletal remains found in 1988 identified as missing young woman from Philadelphia

My condolences to the beloved ones of Lisa Todd ♡

upload_2021-3-9_21-7-41.png

Bode Technologies was the company breaking the case and managed to identify Lisa Todd. She was reported missing to the Philadelphia Police Department in October 1985, but removed from the NCIC after her 18th birthday.

"Investigators were able to build out a family tree thanks to a genealogist and located two of Todd's family members in Philadelphia.

They verified that Lisa Todd has disappeared in the fall of 1985, at the age of 17, and was never heard from or seen again.

Police say Todd, who had a 2-year-old, was reported missing to Philadelphia police in October of 1985 but was taken out of the National Crime Information Center on her 18th birthday.

Todd's death is considered suspicious and it remains under investigation.

"We're here today to give you a rundown of the case, but more importantly, the family is still alive and have many family members in the city of Philadelphia," said Fred Harran, Bensalem's Director of Public Safety. "We know that there is someone out there that has more information on this particular case and we want that person to come forward."

Harran says the department will not rest until they find out the exact cause of death and manner of death, and whoever may be responsible is brought to justice."

Informative briefing (video) in link:
Pregnant woman in 1988 cold case identified by police as missing Philadelphia mother

Attachments

• lisatodd.png
    lisatodd.png
    526.3 KB · Views: 20
EP-308119892.jpg
upload_2021-3-9_21-7-41-png.287840

Frank Bender did a great job with her reconstruction.

Last edited:
First off, I'd like to say I hope her family has found peace knowing what happened to Lisa. I'm a teacher and these situations are heartbreaking. Teen girls getting pregnant and dropping out is always so tragic for us as educators.
Second thing - although Lisa was probably murdered, I could see another route to this. Maybe Lisa got lost in the woods and hid in the pumphouse for protection from the elements and drowned (or died of hypothermia?). Regardless, it's difficult to come to a 100% conclusion here.

wow, this was one of the cases that stuck with for years! So many emotions, glad that Lisa has her name back and she and her family at least have that answer, and hopefully more in the months to come. Sad that such a young girl didn't have a chance to grow along with her children. Angry at the circumstance that placed her in that pump house, and that her case was removed from NCIC so soon. Thankful that LE pursued additional DNA testing with Bode to finally identify her. Rest well Lisa.

She must have dropped out of school way earlier than 17 as she already had a 2 year old child when she disappeared. She must have gotten pregnant at 14 or 15 the latest. I wonder what happened to her that her life took such a turn?

I also wondered if she died by a non foul play situation. She was found seated in the pumphouse. While a killer may seat the victims, especially if they think they can get away easily with it, it also looks to me as if she sat down to rest in the pumphouse and died there. I guess anything is possible. Is the abandoned distillery far from civilization?.
Edit, checked it, it is within the city of Bensalem. No remote area at all.

First off, I'd like to say I hope her family has found peace knowing what happened to Lisa. I'm a teacher and these situations are heartbreaking. Teen girls getting pregnant and dropping out is always so tragic for us as educators.
Second thing - although Lisa was probably murdered, I could see another route to this. Maybe Lisa got lost in the woods and hid in the pumphouse for protection from the elements and drowned (or died of hypothermia?). Regardless, it's difficult to come to a 100% conclusion here.

Last edited:
Authorities in Bensalem, Bucks County, announced on Tuesday afternoon, 3/9, that they have identified the remains known as 'Publicker Jane Doe' for over 30 years. The have identified her as missing teen Lisa Todd of Philadelphia. The skeletal remains of a young pregnant woman were discovered on January 24, 1988, in an underground pump house at the abandoned Publicker Distillery along State Road in Bensalem. Over the years, police attempted to identify the woman. At one point in the 90s, a forensic sculptor created a bust of what she might look like. As DNA technology progressed, technicians were able to extract and sequence DNA from both the mother and fetal baby's bones. A team of DNA genealogists were able to build a family tree with the help of ancestry companies like 23andMe. They were able to locate Jane Doe's probable siblings, who still live in Philadelphia.

17-year-old Lisa Todd was six months pregnant when she went missing in October 1985. She had dropped out of high school and had a 2-year-old son. Police still don't know how she died and how she ended up at the distillery. "Who she was with, whether or not there was any drug or alcohol use, whether this was intentional or accidental, people that could account for her whereabouts and what she was doing. We need the public's help," Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub said.
iradiophilly | News - NJ Man Wanted in 5 Deaths Cross Country; Publicker Jane Doe ID: 17yo Lisa Todd; 15yo Boy Shot in SW
MAGLOCLEN-BensalemTwpPD_DRAFT_AP21011-clothing-jewelry.jpg
Police said the circumstances surrounding her death are suspicious and they’re still trying to determine how she died and why her body was left at the distillery. Todd’s family was notified and are cooperating with Bensalem Police Detectives.
Police ID Missing Pregnant Woman 33 Years After Her Skeletal Remains Were Found

The last time Linda Todd saw her older sister, Lisa, was in a Philadelphia schoolyard more than 33 years ago.

A call from a Bensalem detective a few weeks ago changed everything.
“I got a big knot in my stomach and a kick in my back at the same time,” she recalled.

Bucks County authorities have now identified the skeletal remains of a young woman found on the property of an abandoned distillery in Bensalem in 1988. She was nicknamed Publicker Jane Doe, but now she has a name: Lisa Todd, Linda’s older sister.
Exclusive: Woman seeks answers as to how her sister, now identified as the skeletal remains found in ’88, was killed

Credit: Bensalem police
One portion of a mysterious cold case in Bensalem Township has been solved.

Fred Harran, Bensalem’s public safety director, said the investigation into the woman’s death is still open.

“Pregnant ladies don’t just fall into wells and die. Something happened,” District Attorney Matt Weintraub said, adding it is unknown if Tood’s death was a crime.

Bucks County Coroner Meredith Buck said an autopsy from the 1980s was inconclusive due to the condition of the body. She said there is presently a view of the cause of death underway.

Frank Bender, who was a renowned forensic artist and member of the Vidocq Society before his death, created a sculpture based of the remains in 1994 in an effort to help police identify the body.
NEARBY: DNA Helps ID Pregnant Woman Found Dead In 1988 - LevittownNow.com

In 2020, Bensalem police contracted with a private company that extracted more DNA. And finally, early this year, a team headed by professional genealogist Yolanda McClary — who specializes in cold cases and has her own television series — built a family tree based on the DNA that pointed to two key relatives: Joseph and Linda Todd, who live in Philadelphia.

Lisa Todd had briefly attended Frankford High School in Philadelphia, but police believe she dropped out around her freshman year. They estimated she would have been in the 1985 or 1986 graduating class.

Todd also had a son, who was two when she disappeared and now lives out of state.

“What makes this case so incredible is the utilization of the technology we have in 2021,” said Bensalem Public Safety Director Fred Harran, who was a brand new patrol officer when Todd’s body was first discovered. “The case really broke just two months ago. The genealogy now available to us is remarkable.”

“Although we’re fortunate enough to be able to give the Todd family some peace of mind and some closure … there is certainly more to the story,” he said.
DNA technology leads to breakthrough in decades-old Bucks County ‘Jane Doe’ case | WITF

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charharr
Back