GUILTY PA - Carlesha Freeland-Gaither, 22, Germantown, 2 November 2014 - #2

Bumping...... Anyone know when the trial is supposed to start?

This article is from February, about the person who witnessed the abduction. It's unfortunate that he was/is dealing with that kind of harassment. Guess it shows why people are sometimes reluctant to come forward with information that may help investigators solve a crime.

Hero Witness in Germantown Abduction Feels Slighted by City

Bumping...... Anyone know when the trial is supposed to start?

This article is from February, about the person who witnessed the abduction. It's unfortunate that he was/is dealing with that kind of harassment. Guess it shows why people are sometimes reluctant to come forward with information that may help investigators solve a crime.

Hero Witness in Germantown Abduction Feels Slighted by City

I think about this girl so often! I hate that the hero is being harassed! Even the comments are not nice and he is commenting back on there. I would be proud to have him as a neighbor or a friend. I hope he realizes that lots of people are just rude and not nice in this world. That should not change him from being the stand-up guy he is.

So he did it to try and get money from her so he could visit his daughter before going on trial for an earlier crime:

"Barnes ... confirmed he abducted the 22-year-old nursing aide in hopes of getting money from her to travel south to Virginia to see his daughter there before facing charges for an earlier attack"

So he did it to try and get money from her so he could visit his daughter before going on trial for an earlier crime:

"Barnes ... confirmed he abducted the 22-year-old nursing aide in hopes of getting money from her to travel south to Virginia to see his daughter there before facing charges for an earlier attack"
IMO, this was no robbery or kidnapping for money. He thinks he can get a lighter sentence by bringing an innocent child into the equation. He showed no compassion toward CFG. The crime he committed against her was a violent abduction and sexual assault. He has a history of assaulting women. There is a federal kidnapping charge against him. He deserves nothing less than the max!

IMO, this was no robbery or kidnapping for money. He thinks he can get a lighter sentence by bringing an innocent child into the equation. He showed no compassion toward CFG. The crime he committed against her was a violent abduction and sexual assault. He has a history of assaulting women. There is a federal kidnapping charge against him. He deserves nothing less than the max!

Yeah, the rape and setting on fire of a child who was digging a grave for--- that pretty much squashed the nice guy wanting to see his daughter thing, for me. He is evil and I am so glad both of those girls are still alive, despite him trying.

"No Va. trial for Charles City man in abduction of Richmond girl, 16"

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/crime/article_b2db6b4d-30e1-54d9-8e3b-329ba6d2ed5f.html

The man charged in the torture and abduction of a teenage girl in 2014, one of the area’s more horrific crimes in recent years, will not be tried in connection with the case by prosecutors in Richmond and Charles City County.

A plea agreement in federal court in Philadelphia last month that could bring a 35-year prison term for Delvin Barnes in an unrelated case also includes an agreement not to prosecute the Charles City resident for the alleged abduction, rape, torture and attempted murder of the 16-year-old Richmond girl.

“I don’t think there is anything wrong with the plea agreement,” Herring added. “In fact, it is the smart thing to do, considering the condition of the victims. Abduction with intent is a very serious charge, but it could not be successfully prosecuted without the victim having a very prominent role.

“The only reason to resolve cases like this, without a trial, is to spare the victim” who still may be in a traumatic condition. “Trying to bridge the spread between an appropriate term of years and a life sentence can be a fool’s undertaking,” Herring said.

The guilty plea Barnes gave in Philadelphia in September sets up a January hearing in which U.S. District Judge J. Curtis Joyner will decide whether to accept a plea agreement that not only specifically drops Barnes’ exposure to criminal trials in Richmond and Charles City but does away with the prospect of life sentences on multiple federal counts.

Barnes could be released in his early 70s.

Also, the reward money has not been paid out.

Nearly a year later, some $47,000 in reward money for information leading to Barnes’ arrest and/or conviction offered by the FBI, the city of Philadelphia, and other entities remains unpaid.

Among those who contributed to Barnes’ capture is Henrico County schoolteacher Martin Johnston, who saw video of the Nov. 2 Philadelphia abduction on television and suggested that case involved the same person who had abducted the teenager in Richmond a month earlier.

Johnston believes he is due some of the reward money, as does a Philadelphia man who twice called police when he witnessed the abduction. Freeland-Gaither herself left behind her cellphone when she first was attacked, hoping it would reveal that she had been abducted.

I've had this in my subs for ages, hoping to see an update whether it be a sentence for Barnes or an interview with Carlesha herself. I hope she's doing ok.

Did he get 35 years?!

He was sentenced to 35 years.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Germantown-Abductor-Sentencing-Carlesha-Freeland-Gaither-Delvin-Barnes-Philadelphia-Kidnapping-Caught-on-Cam-385079341.html

A man who pleaded guilty to kidnapping a Philadelphia woman off the street and holding her hostage for nearly three days learned his fate Thursday afternoon.

Delvin Barnes, 38, was sentenced to 35 years in prison. His sentencing comes months after he pleaded guilty to abducting Carlesha Freeland-Gaither.

I just watched the See No Evil episode about Carlesha's kidnapping and recovery. I'm still so amazed that she was found alive, and at all of the pieces that fell perfectly into place.

Carlesha is amazing.

I just watched the See No Evil episode about Carlesha's kidnapping and recovery. I'm still so amazed that she was found alive, and at all of the pieces that fell perfectly into place.

Carlesha is amazing.

Took me a while to find it (I'm in England and don't have access to all the US channels) but just sat down with a cuppa to watch it on youtube:

[video=youtube;UAqdRH5ar-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqdRH5ar-k[/video]

Wow, that was awesome, couldn't help but cry when Carlesha spoke at the end, what an amazing girl!!

I can't help but think if it weren't for the GPS tracker this case might have ended very differently, so thank god for that and for CCTV, though there are big lessons to be learned about quality and visibility I think. Also thanks for FBI Special Agent Percy Giles who I now have a small crush on. :blushing:

It's not often we have a happy ending on here, but y'know, I think Carlesha's gonna be just fine. If you ever see this, Carlesha, we were all rooting for you kidda and you did everything right! An advocate for other kidnap victims if ever there was one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back