GUILTY PA - Charlenni Ferreira, 10, suffers gruesome death, Philadelphia, 21 Oct 2009

Charleeni-Ferreria-PA-Oct-09.jpg

Rest in peace, Charleeni Ferreria. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

And of course, the child is beautiful. Just beautiful. There is no doubt she is a princess for real where she is now.

This is slightly off topic, but I have to say this. This is a 10 year old child. She could talk. And I imagine she did during the investigation in 2007. So what happened? Apparently no one could hear her? :( Docs say she is okay. DHS gets to close the case and they are glad, because after all, these POSs are saying they are being "harrassed" and DHS just doesn't need that kind of press.

Charleeni learned that it is painful to disclose. Because no matter what the adults that say they are going to help you do, no matter what you tell them, you still have to go back.

In reality and generally speaking, the only time it is safe to disclose abuse is when the child lives with both their bio dad and mom and they are loving parents and the abuse happened by someone outside the family. That really is the only time a child is safe, as far as I can tell.

I am so sorry Charleeni that no one listened, that the Drs. were idiots and that you suffered so much, sweetie. The angels will take good care of you and you will never have to be afraid again.

Salem

Thanks for writing that Salem-I had to write to the reporter who did the piece on the panel of experts. I had to explain that I thought in spite of what all these learned folks came up with, the equation was simple...Charlenni was murdered so DHS was wrong in their risk assessment.

(((((believe09))))) - I agree with you. If we could only see the report to learn for ourselves what this little 7/8 year old girl had to say, I bet we could determine that DHS closed it ears to her voice. :(

I'm glad you wrote the reporter. Maybe that reporter should ask DHS what Charleeni had to say during that investigation and why DHS thought that Charleeni's words were not important?

I am only assuming that Charleeni disclosed abuse at the time. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Children in trouble generally have NO reason to believe the adults that are supposed to save them. Its a lesson they seem to earn early, poor babies.

Salem

Oh and another point..........the 2nd Doctor with the Indian name who saw her & simply ordered blood tests?
They said he was in KENSINGTON........I wouldnt take a stray dog to a free Vet in Kensington let alone a child for an abuse investigation! Kensington was/is known as "The Badlands" & Im shocked theres even a supposed legit doctor practicing there(Im biting my tongue as to not get o/t about the Doctors possible nation of origin) but it once again shows how failed this girl was as why wasnt she brought toa qualified,legitmate medical facility??
TWO school NURSES from TWO seperate schools reported abuse & this girl wasnt rushed to C.H.O.P(childrens hospital of philadelphia)? Why was her abuser allowed to pick some shady doctor to examine her??

AS for her not saying anything..........SHE WAS A CHILD!!!!!!!!! Why didnt SHARON MARSHALL ever say anything? Why didnt JAYCEE??? THe finger pointing needs to be done at the family,the "medical professionals" and DCF **NOT** at the VICTIM regardless of age! NOt only was she physically abused she was mentally & emotionally! We cant begin fathom or question the abused 10 year olds state of mind!!

I want to add this physician to the tags-here is a snip from one of the links:

"In September, the family took Charleeni to Ramesh Parchuri, a family practitioner in Kensington. Parchuri said he did not have any paperwork telling him about the nurse's concerns or that there had been previous abuse allegations.
Parchuri said he ordered blood tests for Charleeni's anemia and planned to see her again. He did not notice any of her injuries."

Didnt notice any of her injuries.

In Iowa the DHS case workers call me to give me a heads up and my office schedulers put ? abuse in for the presenting complaint..When I evaluate the child I do a full hx. If saw a ? abused child with a limp I sure as h--- would order an Xray of hips and of ribs ( frequent site of fractures in abuse) and I might have ordered a full body evaluation for fractures. DHS and the Docs screwed up big time!!!!!!

~respectfully snipped ~
AS for her not saying anything..........SHE WAS A CHILD!!!!!!!!! Why didnt SHARON MARSHALL ever say anything? Why didnt JAYCEE??? THe finger pointing needs to be done at the family,the "medical professionals" and DCF **NOT** at the VICTIM regardless of age! NOt only was she physically abused she was mentally & emotionally! We cant begin fathom or question the abused 10 year olds state of mind!!

VespaElf - I hope you did not misunderstand my post - I was NOT blaming the victim - I was blaming DHS for NOT listening to her. I agree both docs should be disqualified BUT in addition, DHS does NOT get a free ride just because they took her to the DOC. I am sure this child said something AND DHS REFUSED TO LISTEN TO HER AND PLACED HER RIGHT BACK IN HARM'S WAY.

It is my opinion that when a child complains of abuse - that child should immediately be removed from the home. I don't give a ***** how many lawsuits the parents might want to file. If a child complains - they need to be removed from the home - I don't what the Doc says, I don't care what the parents say. The child should be listened to FIRST. And if the child shows any fear about being returned to the home, the child should NOT be returned!

Salem

Panel exonerates DHS in child-abuse death

By John Sullivan
Inquirer Staff Writer
Posted on Fri, Feb. 19, 2010

A panel of experts who reviewed the abuse death of 10-year-old Charlenni Ferreira found no fault with the city Department of Human Services' handling of her case, but said city agencies responsible for children needed to work together to prevent deaths.

Charlenni, a fifth grader at Feltonville Intermediate School, died in October in what investigators called one of the worst cases of child abuse they'd ever seen.

She first came to the agency's attention in 2006 after a school nurse called the agency's child-abuse hotline, saying Charlenni had gashes on her hands, a split lip, and other injuries.

But the agency said that after investigating, monitoring the family, and twice taking Charlenni to doctors who specialize in abuse cases, it could not prove abuse and had no legal ground to keep the case open. During the investigation the Ferreiras complained that DHS was harassing the family.

The case was closed in March 2007; two years later, the girl was dead.

Police charged Charlenni's stepmother, Margarita Garabito, 43, of Feltonville, with murder. Her father, Domingo Ferreira, was also charged, but he committed suicide in jail shortly after his arrest.

much more here (and it only stirs up more questions, IMO, than providing answers)

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/84762207.html

oh of course dhs is never to blame for anything
\
how about the doctor who claimed there was no abuse?

Those darn doctors should lose their license to practice. Did they not talk to this little girl and why no xrays? What does it take to tell that a child is being abused. That poor little girl. I wish just one of her friends would have told someone. Why do people talk after the fact but not when it counts? Kids could have talked to their parents who could have gone to LE.

Her dad was nothing but a coward. He had the guts to pick on a little girl but was probably afraid of what would happen to him in prison. Well dad, I would guess that being in hell is a lot worse then anything that could have happened to you in prison...burn daddy burn.

maybe the kids did tell there parents and the parents did nothing.

I am waiting patiently for DNA to be released. Dad was gone to the DR until 3 days before she died. By then she had the gash and the broken hip at a minimum.

IIRC she told her friend who was raping her. The pneumonia that killed her was from multiple broken ribs-so that injury was older than 3 days...both lungs collapsed right?

I mean her poor tired body just couldnt do it anymore. She lived at least 4 years like this.

Thanks for the reminder, BeanE. I have to assume that she was not in school at some point-the number of her CURRENT fractures would have made it impossible for her to function...the broken wrist alone and the broken ribs.

What is so frustrating for me DHS and the physicians are the only ones left to rail against. Stepmom is behind bars and dad is dead. It is all too little too late.

Thanks for the reminder, BeanE. I have to assume that she was not in school at some point-the number of her CURRENT fractures would have made it impossible for her to function...the broken wrist alone and the broken ribs.

What is so frustrating for me DHS and the physicians are the only ones left to rail against. Stepmom is behind bars and dad is dead. It is all too little too late.

The articles indicated she went to school most, if not all the time, but I think I know why. As painful as it must have been for her to navigate her way to school, at least she knew while she was there, nobody would hurt her, nobody would beat more on her wounds, so she could have a few hours with some easing of her physical pain, a few hours without being tortured.

If your choice is to walk to school on a broken hip, or stay home and get it beaten on, and more bones broken, and your skull slashed open, and get sexually mutilated, then survival instinct kicks in, and you walk on the broken hip. It hurts less than the alternative. Just like an animal will gnaw its own foot off to get out of a trap. This is what Charleeni was reduced to. This is why Charleeni hobbled to school, and sat at a cold hard desk with her gashed scalp and broken bones.

The torture, the physical and emotional pain Charleeni suffered, is... well, I consider myself to be an articulate person, but I can not find the words for it.

All I can say is Oh My God! This poor child. :(

Salem

Awful, awful, awful that no one helped this poor child. In reading more I think she knew she was about to die. And did, a week before turning 11.

"Emanie Feliciano, 9, who...played with Charleeni, remembered the girl saying recently, 'I'm going to have a birthday. Well, maybe not.'

"'What 10-year-old is going to say that?' asked Emanie's mother, Leslie Santiago, 28."

My heart is breaking.

http://tinyurl.com/yjn6t9u

snipped from article: "Sources say she was suffering from a broken wrist, ribs and hip, and had an 8 inch gap in her skull that was stuffed with gauze and covered by a weave. Sources said she was also sexually assaulted and mutilated."

and this is heartbreaking to me somehow

"Despite her injuries and repeated abuse, sources say Ferreria made her way to school every day and kept perfect attendance. No one at the school was apparently aware of the terrible pain the little girl was enduring."

She was a 10 year old little girl.

Our world is so sad.

OK .. I just almost threw up! Dear God ... please take special care of this little girl, when she arrives.

(((((believe09))))) - I agree with you. If we could only see the report to learn for ourselves what this little 7/8 year old girl had to say, I bet we could determine that DHS closed it ears to her voice. :(

I'm glad you wrote the reporter. Maybe that reporter should ask DHS what Charleeni had to say during that investigation and why DHS thought that Charleeni's words were not important?

I am only assuming that Charleeni disclosed abuse at the time. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Children in trouble generally have NO reason to believe the adults that are supposed to save them. Its a lesson they seem to earn early, poor babies.

Salem

I am sure that Charleeni learned NOT to say anything to anyone about the abuse she underwent, long before 2007 when DHS failed her the first time.

I am sure her step monster "Mother" threatened her against saying anythig to anyone! Poor baby must have been terrified when the school nurse reported her condition.

I hope the DHS system is NOT allowed to get away with denying guilt in this matter. This case continues to gnaw at my soul! TWA sweet girl!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back