PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

Chaddylex, it wouldn’t happen to be a guy who was an excavator for a living, would it?
To tell you the truth, I have no clue what the guy did for a living. I was so young. The granddaughter was actually adopted and was sent away to I believe foster care when we got older because the parents couldn’t control her. Her mom (my Girl Scout leader) died in an apt fire in the early 1990’s

To tell you the truth, I have no clue what the guy did for a living. I was so young. The granddaughter was actually adopted and was sent away to I believe foster care when we got older because the parents couldn’t control her. Her mom (my Girl Scout leader) died in an apt fire in the early 1990’s
Molestation often leads to behavior problems. I'm liking that old man for this crime more and more. If it wasn't him, it could have been someone who had access to his van, like your girl scout leader's husband.

Molestation often leads to behavior problems. I'm liking that old man for this crime more and more. If it wasn't him, it could have been someone who had access to his van, like your girl scout leader's husband.

There are a lot of convincing leads like this. For example, the van recently processed from a junk yard belonged to a guy who had a serial molester friend living with him. The van was hidden away since the mid-80s. That was Armstrong County, not Westmoreland, if I’m not mistaken, but the police were already aware of it and apparently had checked it out before.

Then, I imagine the police have a good reason for saying it was someone Cherrie knew. At this point, they probably know of everyone Cherrie knew in her short life. Do they have an idea? Surely, they know about the neighbor Cherrie grew up across from who is a repeated convicted child molester.
And in 2011, they had that tip that was strong enough for them to go public saying this may be THE tip that solves it.

If only we knew all the police know...

There are a lot of convincing leads like this. For example, the van recently processed from a junk yard belonged to a guy who had a serial molester friend living with him. The van was hidden away since the mid-80s. That was Armstrong County, not Westmoreland, if I’m not mistaken, but the police were already aware of it and apparently had checked it out before.

Then, I imagine the police have a good reason for saying it was someone Cherrie knew. At this point, they probably know of everyone Cherrie knew in her short life. Do they have an idea? Surely, they know about the neighbor Cherrie grew up across from who is a repeated convicted child molester.
And in 2011, they had that tip that was strong enough for them to go public saying this may be THE tip that solves it.

If only we knew all the police know...

I am not a believer in psychics either - but she is kind of maybe saying what you just said above.. I looked and saw Janice shared the video also. Janice also said that she was contacted by a Private investigator and a search team just last month. Maybe some things are going on behind the scenes we have no idea about.

I have been thinking about this case since I was a little girl.I’m from Pittsburgh. I found this picture of a van and thought it looked like the one described. TheSamba.com :: Bay Window Bus - View topic - Where are the Ski Bum Buses at?

Can't get past the "what make of vehicle does the site cover" question, that vehicle does look similiar in Cherrie Mahan’s Case, I was wondering if anyone could help with this vehicle make Screenshot_20200920_105149.jpg picsart_07-09-12.58.30.jpg it's similiar to a vehicle that was used in 6 Year Old Morgan Nicks abduction on June 9th 1995 in Alma, Arkansas, I was trying to create an account on that site, but couldn't get past the question

Can't get past the "what make of vehicle does the site cover" question, that vehicle does look similiar in Cherrie Mahan’s Case, I was wondering if anyone could help with this vehicle make View attachment 265202 View attachment 265203 it's similiar to a vehicle that was used in 6 Year Old Morgan Nicks abduction on June 9th 1995 in Alma, Arkansas, I was trying to create an account on that site, but couldn't get past the question
If you are talking about the Samba site, it's a VW Volkswagen) van.
If you are talking about the red truck, it's a Dodge even though the text mentions Ford.

3 weeks from today will be 36 years since Cherrie disappeared. I remember seeing it on the news as a 9 year old like it was yesterday. Someone knows something. I wish they would come forward!

36 years today (my above post I was thinking she went missing the 25th - she went missing February 22nd) I am wondering if any of the local news stations will have a story about her disappearance today.

Cabot is just north of Pittsburgh, and I was born and raised in WV not far from there-a van like that should have stood out. Not all that common (the Bigfoot 4x4 would have been more at home). My first thought after reading the thread on Cherrie was the really popular ski areas in north WV like Canaan Valley and Snowshoe.
I don't know if the van I saw has ANYTHING to do with Cherrie, but when I saw it on the website I thought it was so odd that the van was on a website dedicated to abandoned buildings
Unfortunately, the town is easily accessible by I-79 and I-80, anyone could have hit one of those highways and been far south or in NJ/NY in a matter of hours
I have some of the webmasters of the more popular UE sites looking for me, too
This link is from 2005 but there are some interesting thoughts in the comments. One was that it could have been a delivery/work (catering?) van. I too think perhaps the eyewitness account may have been a bit off. I also wondered if a search was ever done at the time at Moraine State Park, which is vast with not much action in February. BIG lake there too and it's not all that far from the abduction scene. There was and still are alot of rural areas in Butler County, PA which is about a half-hour North of Pittsburgh and an hour south of Erie, PA. A half hour to the west is the Ohio border.

http://users.1st.net/mwells/CherrieMahan.htm

I've ALWAYS thought, who could forget that child's eyes? So precious.
It has now been 37 years and I wonder if anyone ever h
I got to thinking about that last point and went to Google Maps. I couldn't make a link work to what I found, but you can see it if you go to Google Maps and type Cornplanter and Winfield Road Cabot PA.

There is a short and direct access to the north to Rt 422, which connects directly to I-79 North to Erie or I-79 South to West Virginia. You can also continue and access the Pa and Ohio turnpikes. There is also a direct route south to Rt 28, which has an exit that is 2 miles away from the the Allegheny Valley exit on the PA turnpike (I-76) , from which point a van could go west or east. No EZ Pass or cameras to see the van in those days. You could also go east on 422 and through the mountains up into the Allegheny National Forest and into southern New York, where there are several ski areas. That would take about 3 hours but much of it is very rural and soon enough it would have been getting dark and people would be home and inside. Ski areas to the north, the east (Seven Springs) and the south.

Weirdly, the spot where is almost a perfect spot from which to kidnap a child; if you are pretty sure you can get an hour's jump, you can be in Ohio or the PA mountains or halfway to Erie before anyone starts to look.

You can best see what I mean if you put the little focus thingy halfway down in order to see the intersection in relation to other WPA road. I've lived here all my life and always thought of Cabot as so rural, and such a weird spot for a kidnapping. But I'm sure the state troopers that handled the case thought about this location long ago.

I dont know if anyone is keeping up with these posts and checking their comments but I hope so. I grew up new Butler. The chatter about routes gets me pumping sometimes. I realize everyone is trying to figure things out, but google maps doesnt give you accurate descriptions of times for a route, now back routes locals will know, etc.
I lived right off of I-76 in Beaver Falls Pa. As an adult I moved to New Castle and then to Ohio. My Dad lives in Butler off of 422.
I’ve been thinking about this case this week, as it marks its 25th anniversary. I grew up in the area, and have lived there for most of my life, so I’m familiar with the case. And as a father of two, I think it is important to find out what happened to Cherrie on that day. This is my first post on this site, so I apologize for the length, and I hope you bear with me.

Two things really stood out to me as I look at this case, and that is the location of the road and the description of the stop. First off, for those that know the area, Cornplanter Road is really in the middle of nowhere. It isn’t a shortcut to anywhere, unless you live very close to the road, and even then it isn’t the best choice. The chances of someone from out of town traveling down this road to grab a child would logically be extremely small, especially one in a brightly colored and decorated van. The only people who travel that road are those who live close, and I think that may have been the case that day.

Second, the description of who was where at the stop is confusing. Cherrie came out of the bus with three other kids, so I’m assuming they’d all live very close to each other. She crossed behind the bus according to another mother at the stop, but students are supposed to cross in front of the bus, so that the driver can see the student at all times. If the van was behind the bus, it would be safe to assume the van would need to follow the bus out of the road, unless it would turn around and go back the way it came in. If it did that, then the mother, who would be picking up her kids also, should have noticed a van turning around if she was going up her nearby driveway. I know this is confusing, but somehow it all doesn’t make sense to what needed to happen to have the child disappear. Why would someone in a van that did not know the area grab the child, not knowing who was looking at the road or even where other local houses may be? And where does the blue car that was seen come in? Was it parked there waiting, or was it also following the bus down Cornplanter Road? These would be things that would be needed to be clear up, because these witnesses at the stop were the ones that saw the van. And considering the closest ski area is at least 2 hours away in multiple directions, having a driver in ski gear here would be extremely unlikely at best.

And one other thing about this scene...one of her friends from school in a recent story marking the 25th anniversary said that Cherrie told her she was afraid of a neighbor's dog. Would this be the neighbor that saw the van, or someone else? And where was this dog in relation to where Cherrie was...was she playing in the neighbor's yard or close enough to make the dog bark? Or did the neighbor bring the dog to Cherrie? I would like to find that out. It would suggest that she did have some contact with that particular neighbor and his dog, whether alone or with her family, and any investigator should get more details on this.

Lastly, the area around the road is pretty rural, but has several things that are interesting in this case. The whole area is undermined, meaning there are a series of mines under the whole area. West Winfield for example had an old coal mine that was used to grow mushrooms, and was one of the largest producers of mushrooms in the area in 1985. In addition, many of the local farms were larger than 100 acres, with lakes and woods that would be perfect places to hide things. If you Google the area now, for example, the newer Birdsfoot Golf Club was built from a private farm. There are many other farms that size in the area, and some may even have access points to some of the old mines. Also, there are areas that are fairly close that are desolate. For example, if you take Iron Bridge Road, just south of Cornplanter Road, it will take you to PA 128 and close to Murphy’s Bottom, which is a great place to hide things. The reason I bring this up is simple, because I don’t think the van with the ski mural made it out of the area, if it was involved in the case. I think that the persons involved in this case were local, and still may be local.

If I was the new lead investigator looking back on this case, I would first make sure I got a definite description of who was where at the bus stop, just to have that defined. That would tell you if the witnesses were actually in a position to see what they saw. Then I would look at some of the people that would have been close to the area, and make a list. I would look at those who would have lived on Cornplanter Road at the time, and would have taken the same path turning off of Winfield Road as the bus from the school. That would include all the children also. Then I would look at the roads that come off of Cornplanter (Russel & North Scenic Drives, plus Moorehead, Bauer, Leisureville & Sarver Roads). I would also look at the members of the church that Cherrie and her family went to at the time, because those people would have known where the family lived and when Cherrie got off the bus. Plus I would look at the classes around 1985 (say 84-88) for Freeport High School, which was accessible by driving a few miles down Kepple Road, located south of Cornplanter Road. The time that Cherrie disappeared would have fit in to the time frame where teenagers were driving home from school.

I think this is where modern technology comes into play. We know following these crimes that people that abuse kids usually don’t stop until they are caught, and we have 25 years to see if anyone close to the area was abusive. If someone on those lists came up on Megan’s List, for example, or as committing a crime towards children, I would want to talk to them about Cherrie. In fact, there is a person on Megan’s List that currently lives on Leisureville Road in Cabot that was arrested for a sex crime in 1991, according to the web site. He would have been 15 in 1985 if he grew up in the area, but the real kicker was one of the autos he listed…a blue 1969 Camaro. The other blue car, perhaps?

I think that chasing the van has been a dead end in this case. Looking through Google news at the Pittsburgh Post Gazette articles (the local Valley News Dispatch & Butler Eagle, which covered the case intensely, aren’t available on Google news) shows that the van story came into play only a few days after Cherrie’s disappearance, and time may not have been spent on other possibilities. If the van was involved, I don’t think it made it out of the area that day if at all, even though people may have saw it somewhere else. If it was involved in this case, I would not be surprised to find pieces of it buried somewhere on a local farm, or in a mine shaft accessible to a farm. In looking at the case, I think it was done by someone local, from everything I mentioned above, and I’d like to see the police take another aggressive look at the case for its 25th anniversary to find the person that took this little girl.

Ah yes! Finally! A post that makes sense. Im from around that area also, a little more south however. My dad now lives off 422 in the area. Back in the time of Cherrie's disappearance everyone and i mean EVERYONE was focused on the van. To the point that they located over 2000 of them in the surrounding areas. So yes people, they were popular!! Also this van and the mysterious blue car were both parked ON Winfield. Not Cornplanter which is where Cherrie lived. For this van and the car to get from winfield and grab Cherrie from the time the bus dropped her off until her parents didnt hear her is an impossible scenario! I lived in a home up a hill driveway and occasionally my mom let us walk up it even though you can't see the road from our house. In the time it would take for someone to pull up quickly behind me, stop suddenly, jump out and thrown me inside... My mother would have heard the vehicle squealing to a halt, the doors being closed and me scream. Janice McKinney (Cherrie's mom) and Leroy McKinney heard nothing. Not even footsteps which is why they went to look for her. So obviously if they could hear her walking up the drive usually and they stated they could hear her and her friends exchanging goodbyes, then clearly they would have heard this massive van peel to the bottom of their driveway ans the doors slam shut and the van peel off. For these reasons Im starting to believe the van ans the car were not involved. Or they were decoys. No one would use such a flashy van to commit a crime (especially a child kidnapping) in RURAL western Pa in that era. Hell if we saw a car in your driveway we didn't know you better believe not only are we gonna TALK to that driver lurking at the bus stop in a van but we are gonna ask the neighbor about that mysterious car in your drive that afternoon as well.
I was born in 1983. 2 years before Cherrie disappeared and y'all we still didnt start locking our doors in the country out there! Because we knew back then that a neighbor was better than a ring camera sometimes. The van/car theory, i feel, may be a red herring we have all chases all these 37 years.
Also I am so glad you clarified that all the ROUTES ppl claim they may have taken after the abduction, were non-existent back then. Yet, a LOCAL or someone working with a local, would know all the quick paths to the major highways. Its for this reason that I agree with you that their escape was planned via interstate and highway. These routes easily connected Ohio (just a half hour direct route from there) to West Virginia, to lake Eerie and other places quickly such as New Jersey via New York. Since the police spent so much time in the first few hours using bloodhounds, helicopter and foot search; it's VERY believable that the perps got her across state lines before anyone took supper from the oven in that area that night.
Also worth noting, the bloodhounds could only trace her steps to where the van was sitting at the bus stop (possibly because she walked past it). And police say that there was no evidence she ever entered the driveway; no foot prints in the snow. This could be due to the snow melting on the driveway (it was 55 that day) but all 8 y.o kids are enticed to walk in what is left of the snow. This ties in with your theory that it was not the van but possibly another vehicle everyone should be looking for.
I also feel that most likely it was a local or it was someone that knew her bio-dad. This is simply due to the fact that 1. Cherrie and her parents had only lived in the home 7 months. I realize thats enough time for a person to see her and take a shine to her but i am not sure. 2. Her dad placed himself at a party of a mutual friend of Cherrie's mom (which Janice and Cherrie attended as well) not long before she disappeared. 3. Janice claims Cherrie's bio-dad raped her and this was how Cherrie was conceived; which dad denies the rape and denies paternity. It could be that seeing her at the party made bio-dad realize that Cherrie was starting to look like him which would prove he was lying about the rape and the paternity of Cherrie. The police have stated that since Cherrie is missing DNA could not be taken to establish paternity proof.
I just wish her back-pack or the school pictures she had in there that day would be found somewhere to shed some light. Or any clue other than what we already have.

Does anybody know the time that the parents reported her missing?

Police were called within a half hour, there was a search party (including bloodhounds and helicopter) within an hour of her coming off bus. Some reports say approx. 4:05 pm she left bus, some say 4:10. So i would say it is safe to assume that police were called by 4:30.
Leroy waw seen running up and down their road and Winfield screaming for her and yelling to neighbors asking about her. Then he went home and called police.

Cherrie Ann Mahan
cherrie_ann_mahan_1.jpg
cherrie_ann_mahan_2.jpg
mahan_cherrie3.jpg

Cherrie, circa 1985
  • Missing Since 02/22/1985
  • Missing From Cabot, Pennsylvania
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/14/1976 (44)
  • Age 8 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'2, 68 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white leotard, a gray coat, a blue denim skirt, white stockings, blue leg warmers, beige soft ankle boots without heels, and brown Cabbage Patch earmuffs. Carrying a blue backpack with two straps and a cream-colored top, and decorated with a blue and red heart.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Cherrie has a dog bite scar on her left arm. Her left arm was previously broken below her left shoulder, but the injury had healed before her 1985 disappearance. Cherrie has a cowlick on the right side of her hair. Her hair was slightly longer at the time of her disappearance than in the photographs shown above. Her ears are pierced.
Details of Disappearance

Cherrie was last seen getting off of the bus from her elementary school at approximately 4:05 p.m. on February 22, 1985. Three other students got off with her at the stop. She was approximately 100 to 150 yards along a dirt driveway from her family's residence on Cornplanter Road in Cabot, Pennsylvania at the time she disappeared.

When she failed to arrive home, her stepfather went looking for her and called police when he failed to find her. Cherrie has never been heard from again.

A bright blue or green 1976 Dodge van was seen in the area at the time of Cherrie's disappearance and may be connected to her case. The van was following the school bus Cherrie had been riding in. The van had a snow-capped mountain and skier mural painted on both sides of the vehicle. The skier was wearing red and yellow clothing and was skiing down the mountain.

mahan_cherrie_van.jpg
mahan_cherrie_van2.jpg

Sketches of van possibly involved

The van has never been located or identified and investigators are still not sure if it was connected to Cherrie's case. Two sketches of the vehicle are posted with this case summary. A small blue car was also seen near the site of Cherrie's disappearance. It is unknown if the car has anything to do with her case either.

According to her mother, Cherrie was conceived through rape when her mother was sixteen years old. The police did not believe the rape allegation and Cherrie's biological father was never charged. She believes people connected to Cherrie's father were involved in her disappearance. Cherrie's father maintains his innocence in her case.

Cherrie's family had her declared legally deceased in 1992. They donated the life insurance policy they received to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and put a car accident settlement she had received into a trust fund for her brother.

Cherrie's case has never been solved. Some agencies state she disappeared from Saxonburg, Pennsylvania.

Investigating Agency
  • Pennsylvania State Police 412-284-8100
Source Information

I've read through this entire thread and I love the WS community (the care and concern). I will say that given the seclusion of the area, this reminds me a lot of something that could have happened similar to that of the Peggy Ann Bradnick case, which happened just 15 minutes from me. It's hard to say what really happened, but I am definitely following this forum.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back