PA - Conner Snyder, 8, & Brinley, 4, hangings, Berks Co., 23 Sept 2019 *Mom arrested* *GRAPHIC* #2

^^rsbm

After the Court rejected the negotiated guilty plea agreement (which we've not seen), the defense made a filing with the Supreme Court -- perhaps appealing the Court's actions.

In other words, canceling the March Trial date was no surprise given the pending action. Of course, I agree that justice for the children is long overdue!

Do you have a date on this filing? I do not have that in my notes. And unfortunately, I can not access the court site you posted above. TIA!

Do you have a date on this filing? I do not have that in my notes. And unfortunately, I can not access the court site you posted above. TIA!
Here you go:

12/11/2023 12/07/2023 Supreme Court of Pennsylvania -Middle District Application for Extraordinary Relief / Berks County District Attorney's Office

I would love to see the defense's legal argument in support of extraordinary relief. Pennsylvania Rule of Criminal Procedure 590 is clear that a judge has the discretion to reject or accept a plea regardless of what the parties may have worked out. (See Pa.R.Crim.P. 590(A)(3): "The judge may refuse to accept a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, and shall not accept it unless the judge determines after inquiry of the defendant that the plea is voluntarily and understandingly tendered. Such inquiry shall appear on the record.")
I don't imagine Judge Johnson is too pleased with either counsel right now for daring to bring her such a plea agreement!

@Seattle1 - have a note to ask about the case - any movement going on? TIA! :)

No additions since the three calendar events noted below, and no entries to the docket-- most likely awaiting whether or not the appellate will hear the (sealed) petition.

12/18/2023 1:30 pm Courtroom 7A President Judge M. Theresa Johnson Pre-Trial Hearing/ Cancelled

02/07/2024 9:00 am Courtroom 7A President Judge M. Theresa Johnson Call of the List/ Cancelled

3/04/2024 8:30 am Courtroom 7A President Judge M. Theresa Johnson Jury Trial/ Cancelled

No additions since the three calendar events noted below, and no entries to the docket-- most likely awaiting whether or not the appellate will hear the (sealed) petition.

12/18/2023 1:30 pm Courtroom 7A President Judge M. Theresa Johnson Pre-Trial Hearing/ Cancelled

02/07/2024 9:00 am Courtroom 7A President Judge M. Theresa Johnson Call of the List/ Cancelled

3/04/2024 8:30 am Courtroom 7A President Judge M. Theresa Johnson Jury Trial/ Cancelled

Thanks! i will check back in a few weeks...

@Seattle1 - wondering if there are any updates yet? TIA! :)
and Happy Easter!
It Is Easter Smiley

@Seattle1 - wondering if there are any updates yet? TIA! :)
and Happy Easter!
It Is Easter Smiley
Entry on the Calendar but nothing on the Docket:

Docket Number: CP-06-CR-0000570-2020
Court Case
CRIMINAL DOCKET -- Page 2 of 28
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania v.
Lisa Rachelle Snyder

04/09/2024
9:00 am Courtroom 7A
President Judge M. Theresa Johnson
Status Hearing Scheduled

Tuesday, April 9th:
*Status Hearing (@ 9am ET) – PA – Conner Snyder (8) & Brinley L. Snyder (4) (Sept. 23, 2019, Albany Township; found hanging from basement rafters) - *Lisa Rachelle Snyder (36/now 41) “mom” arrested (12/2/19), charged (12/9/19) & arraigned (3/12/20) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of 3rd degree murder, 1 count of tampering with or fabricating evidence, 2 counts of endangering the welfare of children, 1 counts of animal cruelty & 2 counts of sexual intercourse with an animal (with a dog). 9/2/21: Animal cruelty & sex with dog severed from original charges. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial was set to begin on 3/4/24 was cancelled. No further dates.
Berks County President Judge Theresa Johnson presiding.

Information & court info from 12/19/19 thru 12/12/23 reference post #835 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...pt-2019-mom-arrested-graphic-2.488603/page-42

12/11/23 Update: 12/07/23 Supreme Court of Pennsylvania -Middle District Application for Extraordinary Relief / Berks County District Attorney's Office.
12/18/23 Update: Order: Hearing on 12/18/23 was vacated. Next Call of the List hearing on 2/7/24. On 12/7/23-Defense filed motion to appeal the Court's actions (not accepting the plea deal) to the Supreme Court.
2/7/24 Update: Due to defense’s motion to appeal decision, Call of the list hearing was cancelled as was trial on 3/4/24. Next status hearing on 4/9/24 @ 9am.

COURT OF COMMON PLEAS OF BERKS COUNTY

Docket Number: CP-06-CR-0000570-2020
Court Case
CRIMINAL DOCKET

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
v.
Lisa Rachelle Snyder

ENTRIES

Sequence Number/ CP Filed Date/ Document Date/ Filed By

1/ 03/27/2024/ 03/27/2024/ Johnson, M. Theresa
Order Scheduling Case Status Hearing 4/9/24; Waiver of PA.R.Crim.P.600/1013

1/ 04/09/2024/ Berks County Clerk of Courts
Clerks Worksheet

2/ 04/09/2024/ 04/09/2024/ Johnson, M. Theresa
Order Scheduling Non-Jury Trial Hearing 9/16/24; Waiver of PA.R.Crim.P.600/1013

3/ 04/09/2024/ 04/09/2024/ Johnson, M. Theresa
Order Scheduling Motions In Limine Hearing 6/28/24; Waiver of PA.R.Crim.P.600/1013

1/ 04/10/2024/ 04/09/2024/ Johnson, M. Theresa
Waiver of Jury Trial

@Niner

@Seattle1 - any updates yet for this case? TIA! :)

Whatever went before the Appellate level for "extraordinary relief" after Judge Johnson refused the defendant's plea agreement is sealed.
However, all we know is the Supreme Court Denied the Application on March 25, 2024.

Since the ruling, it appears whatever was denied resulted in moving forward with a non-jury trial!

And looks like a bench trial is Ordered for 9/16/24.

I presume Judge Theresa Johnson will be presiding over this trial but I guess we will more learn later.

Last edited:
This is the best we received from the DA when Judge Johnson shut down the plea deal.

From the quoted link:

District Attorney John Adams declined to say why prosecutors had agreed to let Snyder plead no contest to the reduced charge of third-degree murder, which carries a sentence of 20 to 40 years in prison.

“We don’t contest the fact that she’s mentally ill, and she meets the threshold set up under the law that she is mentally ill," he said in a phone interview after the hearing.

Snyder's defense lawyers had no comment. Snyder had no reaction to the judge's ruling and ignored a reporter’s questions outside of the courtroom.

[..]

The defense had planned an insanity defense, citing a “chronic history of severe mental disorders.” Her lawyer has said Snyder had severe depression, borderline personality disorder, dissociative disorder and other mental illness at the time of the homicides.

Prosecutors had indicated they would seek the death penalty.

I dunno -- from capital murder to pleading no contest to reduced charge of third-degree murder sure sounds insulting to me. I think I can understand the Judge walking out of the courtroom. Seriously, could not admit 3rd degree murder? Wow. These were her babies and she wanted them out of the way. JMO

The bench trial has me wondering if she’s going for a guilty but mentally ill plea. Another PA case, Laurel Schwemmer, went that route.

I just read about Laurel Schlemmer on another MSM site linked below and think Schlemmer facing as much as 20 to 40 years in prison on each third-degree murder count, and/or for each of her children she killed, is a fair sentence-- even if she begins her sentence in a state mental hospital, and moved to prison if doctors ever deem her cured.

In the case of Snyder, I don't doubt that she has mental issues but I'm not convinced she couldn’t form the specific intent to kill that's required for first-degree murder, at the time she killed her children when they got home from school.

IMO, I think she had a child aging out of child support, and she found a new, online occupation where having two young children in the home would cramp her style.

I also think Snyder wanting to plead no contest (in the plea agreement rejected by the Court) is more evidence of Snyder being crazy like a fox.

Whatever happens here, I think it's critical that Snyder acknowledge what she did to her babies, and admit how she betrayed the sacred trust between a mother and child.

If she's found guilty but mentally ill, I just want her sentenced where she can never be near children again for the rest of her life. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloridaThemisProject
Back