PA - Crystal and Shane Robertson charged with keeping 7 uneducated children in filthy conditions, Sellersville, May 26, 2023

As long as they had TV the whole time I expect they'll ultimately be able to join society. I just hope there's a funded program available to them for the years it's going to take.
Even if the parents had television, I very much doubt the children were permitted to watch it. They are described as “lacking basic knowledge“ here: 7 kids found living in "deplorable" conditions, padlock on fridge in Bucks County

My gosh, most of them didn't even know their own birthdays!

Last edited:
This isn't even a homeschooling issue. These children were never enrolled or reported to their school district - it's like they didn't exist. In PA to homeschool you have to turn in a bunch of info to your district twice a year and get a evaluation done by a teacher. These kids weren't even homeschooled on a basic level, and certainly not on a legal level. And it doesn't sound like they ever had medical care, which if they did would have raised a red flag to doctors that they were illiterate and unschooled. It makes me wonder if she had any of the children in a hospital, or gave birth solely at home. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up not having birth certificates or SSNs.

Authorities discovered in the investigation that none of the seven children had attended school and lacked basic knowledge. They also exhibited social anxiety, police say.

Authorities said medical evaluations concluded the children were “clinically underweight and malnourished.”

“Personal hygiene of the children was also found to be concerning, resulting in two of the children having to shave their hair due to severe matting,” according to a news release from the Pennridge Regional Police Department.

This isn't even a homeschooling issue. These children were never enrolled or reported to their school district - it's like they didn't exist. In PA to homeschool you have to turn in a bunch of info to your district twice a year and get a evaluation done by a teacher. These kids weren't even homeschooled on a basic level, and certainly not on a legal level. And it doesn't sound like they ever had medical care, which if they did would have raised a red flag to doctors that they were illiterate and unschooled. It makes me wonder if she had any of the children in a hospital, or gave birth solely at home. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up not having birth certificates or SSNs.
Many PA families who are even good homeschoolings families report not sending in any paperwork or reporting anything, and nothing ever happened as a consequence. Even in states where some tiny bit o attempt at regulation exists, there is very little - if any - actual enforcement. That is the issue. Abusers using legal loopholes in the laws to "homeschool" when no actual schooling is even occuring/.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back