PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

He was a good man. We think of him often and do talk about this case.

If true: his computer was found in the creek, with all internals destroyed. In a loving relationship. No money troubles. No threats.
Antique shopping and light wilderness walk?
DOJ/FBI need to review this case. Unbelievably sad case.

Didn't know about the author / writing, thank you for the heads-up. May answers finally come.

///// jmo moo omo

He was a good man. We think of him often and do talk about this case.

If true: his computer was found in the creek, with all internals destroyed. In a loving relationship. No money troubles. No threats.
Antique shopping and light wilderness walk?
DOJ/FBI need to review this case. Unbelievably sad case.

Didn't know about the author / writing, thank you for the heads-up. May answers finally come.

///// jmo moo omo
The laptop was found in the Susquehanna River on the north side of the bridge. The stuff about the computer is accurate.

Great work compiling that background J. J. in Phila! Superb! In reviewing this thread again, those timelines, and pondering, for some reason with the perceived mood or temperament change, reported uneasiness, and inattentive behavior…… wonder if that more likely signifies fear? Of something? (As opposed to confidence, and about to make a great escape? But I will concede there is not really a way to determine or know.)

And just thinking out loud here……. If I was planning a walk away, I think I might be exuding a cool and calm demeanor. About to IMO pull one over and just disappear. (Granted I’ve not been in this position, so who knows?) MOO

Last edited:
Great work compiling that background! Superb! In reviewing this thread again, those timelines, and pondering, for some reason with the perceived mood or temperament change, reported uneasiness, and inattentive behavior…… wonder if that more likely signifies fear? Of something? (As opposed to confidence, and about to make a great escape? But I will concede there is not really a way to determine or know.)

And just thinking out loud here……. If I was planning a walk away, I think I might be exuding a cool and calm demeanor. About to IMO pull one over and just disappear. (Granted I’ve not been in this position, so who knows?) MOO

Fear of a killer? No, based on his other actions, e.g. going into remote areas with spotty cell phone coverage, at best.

Fear that something might go wrong, e.g, breaking up with a mistress? Possibly. Fear that something might go wrong, e.g. that he couldn't pull off the disappearance? Possibly. A symptom of depression or contemplation of suicide? Possibly.

This is one of those things that can point to all three scenarios. Yes, I'm open minded and yes,it is annoying. :)

These were posted a while back:

Thursday, 4/14/05

8:00 AM: Ray F. Gricar (RFG) attends a Prison Board Meeting in the Willow Bank Building. Minutes show a routine meeting, that dealt with an employee grievance (union thing). Meeting ended at 8:45 AM, though there may have a closed session to deal with the grievance.

Participants noted that RFG seemed to mumble answers to questions and was looking out the window. Uncharacteristic, but consistent with other reports since at least 3/8/05.

c. 10:30-11:00 AM RFG spotted near a boat launch at Lake Raystown, by a "doctor" who knew him.

10:52 AM Daughter Lara Gricar (LG) called RFG briefly. She would call him several times a week to check in with him. She has indicated she just called to tell him she loved him.

Before 5:00 PM RFG exchanged some e-mail with then defense attorney Stacy Parks Miller (SPM), regarding a case. He was joking around with her.

2:00-4:00 PM Then ADA J. Karen Arnold (JKA) heard what she described as "forcefully closing" the door to RFG's office. She noted that that when he was stressed, he had a habit of closing his door in such a manner, if "busy or preoccupied."

c. 5:30-6:00 PM RFG and live in girlfriend (and coworker) Patty Fornicola (PEF) seen walking in Tallyrand Park, by former County Commissioner Vicky Wedler (who often opposed Gricar when she served). She described Gricar as looking "depressed." She commented to both of them that they looked like "a perfect couple." RFG and PEF continued walking and after another turn around the park left.

6:21 PM RFG on security video entering the rear entrance of the Courthouse. He was driving the red Mini Cooper, and was not carrying the laptop. He was wearing the fleece.

9:03 PM RFG seen exiting the Courthouse and driving off in his car. He was not carrying the laptop. One source makes it 8:03 PM.

NB: The most direct route to Lake Raystown is about 53 miles. RFG could have left Bellefonte at 9:00 AM and arrived the by 10:30 AM. He was also known to exceed the speed limit and as being an "adventurous driver."
Thanks, I’ll check links and incorporate them into my timeline, if that’s ok. I’ve only just begun to organize all the info in the investigation files.

I learned a few things going through those files. Nothing drastic but some of the conventional wisdom about events doesn’t give the full picture. For every person who claimed Ray was sad or depressed, there are more that say he was in good spirits. That’s why it helps sometimes to review the case files.

Last edited:
Thanks, I’ll check links and incorporate them into my timeline, if that’s ok. I’ve only just begun to organize all the info in the investigation files.

I learned a few things going through those files. Nothing drastic but some of the conventional wisdom about events doesn’t give the full picture. For every person who claimed Ray was sad or depressed, there are more that say he was in good spirits. That’s why it helps sometimes to review the case files.
I'm not sure if anyone used those terms, though JKA described him as "distraught" during the week 4/11. The descriptions were more along the lines of not focused or distracted, possibly preoccupied. PEF noted that he was sleeping more, napping.

IMO, walkaway..
But where did he go and who might have helped him?
That would explain the computer search for how to destroy a hard drive...
Well planned and to my knowledge, no reported sightings of Ray, so wherever he went, he disguised himself well or maybe out of the country?

The only thing that is odd to me is if you were going to walkaway or commit suicide, would you go to a busy area where you would be recognized? I would think you would prefer a more out of the way secluded spot to meet up or leave the vehicle (?)

IMO, walkaway..
But where did he go and who might have helped him?
That would explain the computer search for how to destroy a hard drive...
Well planned and to my knowledge, no reported sightings of Ray, so wherever he went, he disguised himself well or maybe out of the country?

The very first person I would be looking at is Barbara Gray as a helper.

Where would be Slovenia.

See the "Southfield sighting."

The only thing that is odd to me is if you were going to walkaway or commit suicide, would you go to a busy area where you would be recognized? I would think you would prefer a more out of the way secluded spot to meet up or leave the vehicle (?)
It makes a lot of sense, actually. RFG would establish where he was, and LE would be looking for him in Lewisburg. If my guess is correct, and he walked away, he spent the night of 4/15 in Centre County.

Maybe a year from now on the 20th anniversary of his disappearance he will release a book titled “How I Disappeared and Hid In Plain Sight For 20 Years.” Or, more likely, 40 years from today those of us still living will know little to zero more about the disappearance of Ray Gricar than we do today in 2024.

The Southfield sighting is interesting.
Barbara Gray as a possible helper... knowing that Ray was close to his daughter Lara, would Barbara help Ray disappear knowing that this would cause their own daughter grief? Or, do you suspect she knew as well?
The very first person I would be looking at is Barbara Gray as a helper.

Where would be Slovenia.

See the "Southfield sighting."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiouscanadian