GUILTY PA - Dr. Melissa Ketunuti, 35, murdered in her Philly home, 21 Jan 2013

My guess is that as a doctor, she took one look at his strung out face and knew she needed to get him out of her house. An awkward situation no matter how you handle it. He probably took it as rejection / a put down. Of course that scenario only works if he actually "snapped". With all of the info coming in, it looks like premeditation to some degree with his stalking.

--IF-- she did indeed get annoyed with him -- IF there was a fight...

Again, we have only the killer's word for it that there was ever a fight at all. No-one heard a fight. He could have just walked in and attacked for all we know.

An admission that is going to help a perp's defense a LOT is hardly worth considering as a fact, imo.

bourne, the other case is not at all relevant to this one, aside from a similarity in how the victims was treated - as the other is officially unsolved, Melissa's case has given me insight into the killer involved. (I won't talk about it here, as I'd prefer this discussion remained focussed on Melissa).

My thoughts are still with her family and friends.. and her patients, who are also impacted by her tragic loss.

Reading the BTK letter, I had a moment of profound pity for the woman who slept next to him for 34 years.

And one, too, for Smith's partner.

I'd really not be so convinced he'd killled before, if not for the several quite ritualistic elements involved in Melissa's death, and the way Smith carried on blithely to the 'next job' and then went home, day done.

I think Smith would have calmly gone about his life like nothing happened at all - until the next time.

eta: And I think he totally looks like the park rapist sketch. Enough of a resemblance there, it made me blink anyhow. Hope the DNA's processed soon.

I know, I felt just awful for Rader's wife and children. I also feel bad for Smith's Girlfriend. All of sudden your life with that person would feel like nothing more than a big lie. I am also sad that their dog was shot during the arrest.

I have not had time to post, but the other night I did look at the mug shot side by side with the sketch of the Pennypack Park rapist and I totally see the similarities. The eyebrows, the nose and the shape of the mouth were very close to Smiths'. I sincerly hope Smith's arrest solves several cases.

I was married to Jason Smith's brother, Seneca, for 3 1/2 years, and we were together a total of 6 years. It boggles my mind that the man who was the best man at my wedding has done this horrible thing. I've slept under the same roof as him. To be honest, as shocked as I am, I am not surprised. He has had issues for many years. I also would not be surprised if he becomes a real suspect in other crimes. I am pretty sure his juvie record is sealed, but I know he has one.

Welcome tmelliott14.

I would be in shock too. My mind would be going back over every encounter I had ever had with him, wondering if I or anyone in my family had ever been in danger. I am glad you are okay.

And there's the proof -- in those phone calls -- that Smith had at least some prior contact with Melissa. Thank you for that news.

My gut says that wasn't all there was to it, but we'll see, I suppose.

I recently went crazy on an exterminator....Scenario was, new apt (never apt dweller) and the bugs were really bad. The pest control guy came and to me he was my savior. He thought it funny and told me how he would spray my apt, they'd (the bugs) run upstairs, then just come back down..that's how he keeps his job. Needless to say, my Jersey attitude let loose and he could have killed me. He left when my bf heard me hollering and came inside and said "dude, she will hurt you". I am 5'6" - 115...and stupid as it is, I have got into with a few service men over my years. I may think before I speak from now on.

"dude, she will hurt you". :floorlaugh:

Your story just cracked me up. We are about the same heighth and weight, and like you I am not afraid to express how I really feel, especially when I am angry.

Years ago, I went off on this guy and basically showed him out of my brother's hospital room. A couple years ago, I was at my brother's apartment and the nurse that was taking care of him told me that she always wanted to meet me because her husband was the one that I had went off on that day. I guess he came home that night and told her what had happened at the hospital. His final comment to her was, Damn, she's sexy when she's mad :what:

sigh...I dont think I will ever understand men, but like you, since I started reading about these murders, I am really watching my behavior in all situations. I look back over the years and just shudder when I think of all the dangerous situations I have placed myself in.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/20...eals-new-details-on-suspect-in-doctors-murder

"The search warrant say detectives found three phone calls between Smith and Ketunuti in the days before the murder to set up an appointment for this past Monday. The warrant says he came to the house with tools and a plumber's torch to fix a low water pressure problem."

Thank you for the link.

The footage where it show his vehicle, shows a truck that is a light enough grey that some may call it white and there is a ladder on top of it.

This footage, coupled with the sketch of the Pennypack Park rapist may indeed be Smith.

--IF-- she did indeed get annoyed with him -- IF there was a fight...

Again, we have only the killer's word for it that there was ever a fight at all. No-one heard a fight. He could have just walked in and attacked for all we know.

An admission that is going to help a perp's defense a LOT is hardly worth considering as a fact, imo.

bourne, the other case is not at all relevant to this one, aside from a similarity in how the victims was treated - as the other is officially unsolved, Melissa's case has given me insight into the killer involved. (I won't talk about it here, as I'd prefer this discussion remained focussed on Melissa).

My thoughts are still with her family and friends.. and her patients, who are also impacted by her tragic loss.

I think he would use anything she said, even a "Hi, you must be the exterminator" to exaggerate his claim that she provoke him. He has to. He has no choice now but to claim she somehow "bossed" him around, "belittled" him, and that in his mind -- her hurtful, oppressive words -- caused him to kill her. Ridiculous, I know. But a few jurors with axes to grind against intelligent, wealthy doctors, may believe his lame manslaughter defense.

I understand about your not wanting to share the other case that has you so riddled. It's too bad though since I see many other cases that may be entirely irrelevant to this one already posted to this thread.

Agree with the sentiment about the tremendous loss to Melissa's family, friends, colleagues, and everyone's she touched in her personal and professional life. I also feel great empathy for all the potential people -- particularly the children in Botswana and other nations -- whose lives could have been saved through her research efforts and her desire to bring vaccines to neglected populations in other countries.

RIP Dr. Melissa Ketunuti. <3

- I'm very interested in areas outside out Lewittown where Smith may have lived either growing up or as an adult.

**I am only aware of him living in the Levittown and Bensalem areas in PA and also the Lambertville area of NJ. I also know that he lived in the Tampa, FL area in the late 80's with his mom and brother.

- How'd he treat his girlfriend and ex-wife? Was there respect there? Was he ever abusive?

**I wasn't aware that he had an ex-wife. My marriage to his brother ended in 2004, so if he married/divorced after that, I am unaware. I am good friends with one of his ex-girlfriends and I know she wouldn't have put up with abuse. I think her problem with him was he wasn't going anywhere in life. She was educated, he was not. He had no ambitions other than partying and having sex. Hence the children out of wedlock. I know he has one son, and I was under the impression he had a daughter as well. Two different women, though.

- Was he kind to animals? Did he ever exhibit aggression or cruelty or neglect toward them?

**He was kind to the pets in his family, for sure. When I knew him, his mom, had 14 cats and 8 dogs and he was kind to them. I never saw or heard of any cruelty.

- What vehicles was he known to drive? Did he borrow any on a regular basis?

**Honestly, I don't really remember anything about his vehicles. I was shocked to see he had such a nice truck, so I am assuming he had crap cars or borrowed his mom's car.

- Did he ever go fishing/camping/away on his own?

**I am not aware of any trips he took on his own. I know he was really involved with his extended family for the longest time until they started spreading out across the country. I'm not really sure how he spent his time once they moved away.

- What was his relationship with his mother?

**He had a weird relationship with his mom. They were roommates for the bulk of the time I knew the family. I'm trying hard to remember specifics, and if I do, I will certainly update.

- Was he known for mood swings that lasted over time, like he'd be super irritable for a week or two, and then suddenly way more calm and relaxed?

**Again...I'm not sure. I honestly had a big problem with his family, in general, for a long time. I avoided them at all costs because they had done some things that really hurt me, emotionally. One thing that I think is worth mentioning is during the year 2000, he moved into my ex's apartment (before we were married) for several months. He basically lived rent free. My ex had a land-line phone (back when cell phones were relatively new) and he ended up racking up about $1000 calling phone-sex lines. We never saw the money to pay that back, but when we realized it happened, he was kicked out and moved back in with mommy.

tmelliott14, I cannot thank you enough for coming here and talking so frankly with us.

I am not at all surprised to hear his relationship with his mother was a bit odd. And from what you've said, it sounds like he was quite used to not having to take responsibility for his actions. And wow, a grand on sex calls??? That says "sexual issues" right there..

I get the feeling he's the kind to feel 'entitled' to stuff. Women, too? Whether they want him or not?

Interesting too, how his former gf is educated, and he was not - in light of who he killed. I feel for your friend, I bet she's thoroughly freaked out by this news..

I mentioned ex-wife as news reports said he had one (iirc) and a son by her, I think. Apologies, if I am wrong.

Thanks again - and please do feel free to add info as it comes to you. I truly believe this was not his first crime, and that he will not confess to any prior ones.. not at this point, anyway.. so anything that might help in sleuthing his locations/habits/etc is really awesome.

Ausgirl, I knew the woman who gave birth to his son, and to my knowledge they never married. By the time she got his number, she was already pregnant, but clearly smart enough NOT to marry him. I am like 90% sure he had a daughter by another women, but I honestly do not know the status of their relationship. He definitely had "sex" issues...I am quite sure that if they can get his sealed records they will find more there.

Also, I just thought I would mention this to you kind folks out there that I was contacted by a reporter from the Philadelphia Daily News today and I did give an interview. She said it will run in Monday's paper, if anyone wants to check it out. She actually tracked me down though this thread on this site!

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them, if I can remember! Let me know. Goodnight for now!

Also, I just thought I would mention this to you kind folks out there that I was contacted by a reporter from the Philadelphia Daily News today and I did give an interview. She said it will run in Monday's paper, if anyone wants to check it out. She actually tracked me down though this thread on this site!

Here is the article she refers to from today's (Monday/ 1-28-2013) paper ...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130128_Exclusive__Portrait_of_an_accused_killer.html

Thanks.

tmelliott14, awesome!

And it's good to know the media keeps an eye on WS. :)

Here is the article she refers to from today's (Monday/ 1-28-2013) paper ...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130128_Exclusive__Portrait_of_an_accused_killer.html

Thanks.

Thanks to the sister-in-law and also the mother's ex-lover for disclosing info about the perp. Apparently JS has lived under the roof of women all his life. The fact that he's good with animals could be why Melissa's pit/lab mutt did not attack him. The one sexual assault in his closed adolescent record which according to the sister-in-law the mother had denied, is interesting, and also his making $1000 calls for phone sex indicate some type of deviance.

"He was more rude and disrespectful than abusive and, you know, just because of his nonambition it turned a lot of girls off," [Ms. Elliott] said.

I think "rude and disrespectful" can be considered verbal and emotional abuse, and those types of abuse can be worse than physical abuse. What I'd like to know is whether he was equally rude and disrespectful towards men as he was towards women. I have a feeling he is only disrespectful towards women.

Most articles said JS currently lived with his gf, her mom and their daughter and a dog. No gf papa. However, there was one article that said the gf's father also lived in their current home. Does anyone know whether the gf's dad currently lives with them?

I wish there was more recent history of the perp as it appears the last time either had seen him was in 2004 and 1992, respectively.

Alleged killer exposed himself on I-95 last year

The man charged with killing Melissa Ketunuti, a doctor at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, exposed himself while driving on I-95 in Bensalem last year, according to court documents.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dncrime/Alleged-killer-exposed-himself-on-I-95-last-year.html

Quelle surprise!

Sounds like JS has spent his life skating around serious charges and having his abusive behavior excused away.

Um I'm pretty sure I know that Kathleen McGrath. Shock for me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back