PA - Ellen Greenberg, 27, Philly teacher’s brutal stabbing, ruled suicide but possible homicide, Jan 2011

12 yrs...wow didn't realize that it's been that long.

This kind of reminds me of the Jennifer Kesse case, in that, if you want anything done to solve the murder, you have to do it yourself.

Both sets of parents will not give up in the hunt for the truth.

jmo

Also from the article @IDK shared upthread:
(BBM)

"If there's evidence to support suicide then they shouldn’t withhold everything," Sandee Greenberg, Ellen's mother, told Fox News Digital. "Put it out for the public to see."

Tom Brennan, a former state police trooper for 25 years and the private investigator the family hired almost a decade ago, told Fox News Digital that, through depositions in the first lawsuit, the family discovered in 2021 that Greenberg suffered a 6.5-centimeter wound to the back of her head after her heart stopped beating.

I’ve just learned of this case this morning, and am fully outraged by many aspects!
I’ll be watching this thread now with you all, and hoping that justice will eventually prevail for EG and those who love her.

Also from the article @IDK shared upthread:
(BBM)

"If there's evidence to support suicide then they shouldn’t withhold everything," Sandee Greenberg, Ellen's mother, told Fox News Digital. "Put it out for the public to see."

Tom Brennan, a former state police trooper for 25 years and the private investigator the family hired almost a decade ago, told Fox News Digital that, through depositions in the first lawsuit, the family discovered in 2021 that Greenberg suffered a 6.5-centimeter wound to the back of her head after her heart stopped beating.

I’ve just learned of this case this morning, and am fully outraged by many aspects!
I’ll be watching this thread now with you all, and hoping that justice will eventually prevail for EG and those who love her.

The investigation in this case was so clearly botched from the police to the coroner, as to offend the conscience.

Wow, this case is wild. Stabbing sure doesn't seem like a "painless suicide" method, but if she had that search term on her computer and had been experiencing extreme depression and anxiety, combined with the zero defensive wounds, nothing heard by neighbors, locked from the inside apartment... maybe that's the case?
Maybe she was incapacitated? The article notes bruising on her right side?? Complex case

8/11/22

The case of a beloved Pennsylvania schoolteacher found dead with 20 stab wounds is being reopened more than a decade after it was initially ruled a suicide.

The family of Ellen Greenberg emphatically denied there being any chance that she could have killed herself. The 27-year-old educator was about to be married when her fiancé told police he came home from the gym to find her lying in their Philadelphia apartment on Jan. 26, 2011

Her fiancé, Sam Goldberg, told the 911 operator he thought she may have slipped and hit her head, and audio recording of the call captured the moment he discovered she had been stabbed.

“Her shirt won't come off, it's a zipper. Oh, my God, she stabbed herself,” he said.

Greenburg was stabbed 20 times, 10 in the back of her neck, once in the scalp, eight times in the chest and in the abdomen.

Her death was at first ruled a homicide but was later changed to suicide. Her parents have spent the last 11 years fighting that ruling.
Isn't that an odd utterance by the fiance, "she stabbed herself"? If I found a loved one covered in blood and saw a knife in her chest, my first impulse would be to exclaim, "she's been stabbed." It's as if he was pointing them in the direction of suicide from the very start.

1688414154746.png

7/3/23

Greenberg had 10 stab wounds to the neck and back of the head, with an additional 10 to her stomach, abdomen, and chest. A knife was still plunged into her heart.

At the time, police claimed that the door of Greenberg's apartment was locked from the inside and there were no signs of a struggle.

Goldberg told investigators he came home in 2011, kicked the door, and found his fiancé dead with a knife clinging to her chest.

In a chilling 911 call, he told police Greenberg had stabbed herself. 'Help!... My fiancé's on the floor with blood everywhere.'

He later added, 'I can't see anything... there's nothing broken... Ellie!... I think she hit her head.'

'Oh my god! She stabbed herself... she fell on a knife... there is a knife sticking out of her heart.'

The Chester County District Attorney's Office began an outside investigation into Ellen's death last year, but now governor Shapira had been sitting on the case for years while he was attorney general.

'He stole four years from us, holding the case in his office, and we have no evidence of him doing anything,' said Ellen's mother Sandee Greenberg.

View attachment 432623

7/3/23

Greenberg had 10 stab wounds to the neck and back of the head, with an additional 10 to her stomach, abdomen, and chest. A knife was still plunged into her heart.

At the time, police claimed that the door of Greenberg's apartment was locked from the inside and there were no signs of a struggle.

Goldberg told investigators he came home in 2011, kicked the door, and found his fiancé dead with a knife clinging to her chest.

In a chilling 911 call, he told police Greenberg had stabbed herself. 'Help!... My fiancé's on the floor with blood everywhere.'

He later added, 'I can't see anything... there's nothing broken... Ellie!... I think she hit her head.'

'Oh my god! She stabbed herself... she fell on a knife... there is a knife sticking out of her heart.'

The Chester County District Attorney's Office began an outside investigation into Ellen's death last year, but now governor Shapira had been sitting on the case for years while he was attorney general.

'He stole four years from us, holding the case in his office, and we have no evidence of him doing anything,' said Ellen's mother Sandee Greenberg.
I fee lso sad
View attachment 432623

7/3/23

I feel so bad for this family- it looks like justice delayed is justice denied in this case

I fee lso sad

I feel so bad for this family- it looks like justice delayed is justice denied in this case

This is really heartbreaking. Gavin Fish had interviewed Ellen’s parents back in April or so, and they sounded hopeful after a 3 hour interview with the Chester county DA’s office. They felt they were listened to and their concerns taken seriously. Now it seems that meeting was possibly just done to placate them? I hope I’m wrong!!! IMO only.

Video is under 8 minutes.

Ellen Greenberg: JoScott Morgan says key points were overlooked after teacher was stabbed 20 times​

Medicolegal death expert JoScott Morgan discusses the Ellen Greenberg case, a young Philadelphia teacher found dead in her apartment in 2011. Authorities ruled Ellen's death as a suicide, despite her having 20 stab wounds to her body, including one stab wound to the back of her head.

Last edited:
Video is under 8 minutes.

Ellen Greenberg: JoScott Morgan says key points were overlooked after teacher was stabbed 20 times​

Medicolegal death expert JoScott Morgan discusses the Ellen Greenberg case, a young Philadelphia teacher found dead in her apartment in 2011. Authorities ruled Ellen's death as a suicide, despite her having 20 stab wounds to her body, including one stab wound to the back of her head.

Thanks for posting this video. I thought it was standard practice for someone from the coroner’s office to attend the scene of an unexpected death? All that potential evidence is now lost and the time of death is currently based only on her fiancé’s statement….

Thanks for posting this video. I thought it was standard practice for someone from the coroner’s office to attend the scene of an unexpected death? All that potential evidence is now lost and the time of death is currently based only on her fiancé’s statement….
This case was massively botched right from the start
So sad

Video is just over 10 minutes and worth the watch (moo). It speaks volumes about the case.

Family of Ellen Greenberg searching for answers 10 years after her death​

The parents of Ellen Greenberg are still searching for answers in the death of their daughter who was stabbed to death inside her Manayunk home over 10 years ago.

Video is just over 10 minutes and worth the watch (moo). It speaks volumes about the case.

Family of Ellen Greenberg searching for answers 10 years after her death​

The parents of Ellen Greenberg are still searching for answers in the death of their daughter who was stabbed to death inside her Manayunk home over 10 years ago.
After listening to the video I have concluded that, sadly, this case will never be solved or even investigated any further unless new evidence comes to light.

What I did not realize until I listened to this video was most, if not all evidence was taken from her home- including her phone and her fiancee's computer- I could not believe how this case was basically whitewashed from the moment the police entered the home. I also was not aware that she had bruising on her body that the parents state was present for a period of time- they suggested there was domestic violence--- unproven at this point but suggested. Certainly could be the case. The attorney genera told the parents without additional evidence he cannot go forward with this case. How could any half way intelligent person believe a person who has 20 stab wounds, committed suicide? I don't get it, never will. Just feel really sad for her parents.

Last edited:
After listening to the video I have concluded that, sadly, this case will never be solved or even investigated any further unless new evidence comes to light.

What I did not realize until I listened to this video was most, if not all evidence was taken from her home- including her phone and her fiancee's computer- I could not believe how this case was basically whitewashed from the moment the police entered the home. I also was not aware that she had bruising on her body that the parents state was present for a period of time- they suggested there was domestic violence--- unproven at this point but suggested. Certainly could be the case. The attorney genera told the parents without additional evidence he cannot go forward with this case. How could any half way intelligent person believe a person who has 20 stab wounds, committed suicide? I don't get it, never will. Just feel really sad for her parents.

Me too. They are so strong and fighting so hard for Ellen, but the stress can’t be good for them at this stage of their lives. So sad.

My sentiments too and I thought this case was substantially similar to the Rebecca Zahau homicide. moo

My sentiments too and I thought this case was substantially similar to the Rebecca Zahau homicide. moo
I agree --2 sad cases that involve botched investigations that reflect poor police investigation along
With poor medical examiner/coroner investigation

Commonwealth Court Affirms Suicide Ruling

Writ of Mandamus - [man-DAY-muss]

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members