GUILTY PA - Jennifer Daugherty, 30, Held Captive, Tortured To Death, Greensburg, 11 Feb 2010 *appeal 2022 denied*

"police say they believe foul play could possibly be involved."

Last time I checked people don't just end up in garbage bags under trucks by themselves.

Me girl saw that in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette yesterday and had to read it aloud to make sure that is what it (he) said. Aye yi yi! I can't see that being taken out of context. Then again, maybe the person who found the body was afraid of being named as a suspect.

This is just terrible. I do not know what has happened to our world. You think things could not be any worst and then read this. How can someone do something like this. I just do not understand...

Years ago IIRC there was also a murder of a mentally handicapped man.
IIRC 3 people were involved, torturing him and murdering him...........
they wanted his SSI check for months.
They befriended him for money.......
could this be how she got there??? a plan???

Lizzybeth--I think you are referring to the torture and murder of James McNeely by the Harvey family of Ladonnia, MO. Many similarities, especially the involvement of women. There's also some similarities with Kyle's horrible case and with Megan of West Virginia.

Most of you know that I've worked with and parented a large number of people with developmental disabilities. Delightful for the most part but also challenging. I may be totally off base, but I'm seeing some DD here. If you read the latest link, the torture methods are extremely immature (horribly sick but still immature) and the mug shots give me a sense that we're dealing with a group of people who have some serious deficits. I think it's also worth noting how quickly this group was found and the crime "solved".

I do NOT mean to be disrespectful of the victim in any way as my heart breaks for her but she also looks to be compromised in some way. If this hunch plays out, I'm hopeful that the media does not minimize this crime. People with DD commit crimes and are victims far more than we'd like to recognize. They do, however, require very different methods of accessing the judicial system.

As I said, I could be flat out wrong, but I'm suspicious of what I'm seeing.

I am at a loss for words!! Senseless crimes that make one wonder if the human race has really progressed beyond the Stone Age mentality. These 6 have not. Sadly, no motive has been noted. From what has been released in the media, it sounds as though this was a "thrill kill". Even if the motive was robbery the murder was a choice the perps consciously made. May the victim rest in peace.

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A woman was fed vegetable oil, spices, detergent, urine and medications, then forced to write a suicide note, stabbed to death, wrapped in plastic, put in a garbage can and dumped in a school parking lot, police said Friday as they charged six people.

Jennifer Daugherty's head had been shaved, and she had been bound with Christmas decorations and clothing; she also was hit with a towel rack, vacuum cleaner hose and a crutch, according to an affidavit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/12/AR2010021201815.html

Words fail...almost beyond belief.

I can't believe these people sickening!! I'm curious to know how she ever met them her step father said she had just mentioned them as friends. I think the girl was possibly abused more than 36 hours, her parents called and she never picked her cell phone up, you could see she clearly loved her family on her myspace. I think it is sad the police were called and left, the girl was being tortured then. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10043/1035428-100.stm And on her myspace page she said her favorite past history was Christmas as a Kid. :( So in a sick twist they covered her in Christmas decorations. Wonder if father is sure she didnt meet these people off myspace? this comment snipped to Her latest update, posted Jan. 26, read, "This is my time to make a new start for myself, and making some new friends and not being afraid of anything, so this is going to be a good thing for me."

she said she was making some new friends was these the new friends? Also on her myspace page for her name she had listed her yahoo messenger id name so anyone could have contacted her via yahoo if they seen that.
I'm thinking these people came to her and gave her a sugar coated story of how they could be friends and so forth and tricked Jennifer into thinking she had met real friends. Something doesnt add up to me.

Stepfather Bobby Murphy, 62, of Mount Pleasant, told The Associated Press that the victim had the mental abilities of a 12- to 14-year-old.

Murphy said he was the last family member to see Daugherty alive, on Monday, when he took her to get on a bus to Greensburg. She had both a dentist and a counselor there who helped her with a mental disability, he said.

Murphy said he's not sure which one Daugherty had an appointment with, but later that day, she called home and asked permission to spend the night at "Peggy's" house. Murphy said his stepdaughter planned to return home Tuesday.

Daugherty had become involved in a community center in Greensburg where she met several people whose names she mentioned as friends, Murphy said - including several whose first names share those of some of the suspects.

"I don't know 'em personally, but Jennifer mentioned some of their names as being her friends - but evidently not," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/12/AR2010021201815.html

I hope we find out what the motive was, what possesses people to do these horrible things to another human being.

I would say the motive was meanness - out and out meanness.

This poor woman. She sounds so sweet and trusting.

How could you live with yourself if you participated in something like this? How could you live with yourself if you failed to protect, or at least try to help someone, you saw in such a predicament?

I don't understand - like a pack of mean, angry dogs. But at least with dogs, there is no torture, they just quickly tear you up. Here, these 6 people appeared to delight in the pain they were causing this young woman :furious:

I pray that the medicine they made her take at least took the edge off the pain and/or made her unconscious so that she did not know the full extent of this horror.

Prayers to her family,

Salem

I am so sad as I didn't want to be right. If, what the dad says is true, this young woman would have received very few, if any, services. To qualify for Developmental Disability Services you must have an IQ under 69 or a disability which causes you to function as if that were your IQ. People often confuse functioning levels greatly. A person functioning at a 14 year old level is an adult, in actuality.

Our family feels extremely fortunate if we can get kids to a second or third grade academic level with an emotional level around 9-10. That level of functioning can see you through job training, some community college classes and independent living. I'm afraid that Jennifer might have functioned even lower and was not skilled at reading social boundaries and personal safety rules. I'm sure the girl truly thought these perps were her friends. If she met them at a center for the disabled or on the street, it's highly possible/probable that they have cognitive and/or mental health issues also.

As wicked and hard-hearted as it sounds, this is what happens when people with developmental disabilities go overlooked and under-supervised. It's very much like a group of fourth graders with a mob mentality. As a mea culpa, I have two very frightening young men on the streets with little oversight. They've both absconded from services as services are voluntary. Adult homes for the DD population are not locked. They are vulnerable themselves and also scary as heck as they are currently unmedicated with multiple diagnoses.

Our daughter who is trafficked is much like Jennifer. 63 IQ and totally trusting. Her torture has been much more insidious. She's prostituted. These are human beings who desperately need our help and our supervision. There's so little out there for them and the streets are not safe.

My prayers go out to all the families affected.

It's hard enough to understand how one person can be so cruel, but for six people to all be so cruel and band together to do something like this to another human being? It's beyond all understanding.

Rest in peace, Jennifer Daugherty. I'm so sorry you had to endure this.

Found this comment I had the girl Amber and her her brother at a program called SPARC that housed children with mental health diagnoses. Just shows what these children grow up to be and are capable of when they live the life that Amber led. She was in and out of foster homes, and involved with WCSI and WCCB. Maybe if someone would have realized how dangerous she really was...

InappropriateFeb. 12, 2010 2:26pm EST. I also read if it is infact the same Amber she is 8 weeks pregnant by the myspace. If this is not okay to post please remove.

god i wish this had just been a serial killer it would be a lot easier to stomach........
6 twisted people torturing a mentally disabled woman and disgarding her like garbage?
ughhhhhhhhhh

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyLFC1892
Back