GUILTY PA - Jessica Padgett, 32, Northampton County, 21 November 2014

I wonder if he had been assaulting her since she was small. And she just kept quiet. I wonder if he was a sex offender and he made the deadline before Megan's law came into affect so he didn't have to register as one.

Or if she had said something to indicate she was going to tell her mother and/or police when her mom returned to town?? Something made him kill her that day, not any other day in 20 years.

DA wants to bar insanity defense for man accused of killing stepdaughter, having sex with body

A district attorney is trying to bar an insanity defense for a Pennsylvania man accused of killing his stepdaughter and having sex with her corpse.

(...) Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli says 53-year-old Gregory Graf's defense attorney missed an Oct. 1 deadline to file a report by the psychological expert he plans to call at trial.

Graf's trial is set to begin Nov. 2. Morganelli says prosecutors won't have enough time to review the expert's report and prepare to rebut it at trial.
(...)
The judge scheduled an Oct. 30 hearing on the matter.
http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2015/10/da_wants_to_bar_insanity_defen.html

Bless them. :(

I'm local to this case, and have met some of the people that knew Jessica, or her family members. The media here is just all about shock headlines, and I think that's what my biggest fear is....that when the trial starts, we're going to see nothing but gory and shock headlines on a daily basis. It's going to be a macabre circus. ;( It's so traumatizing to those that knew her.

I presume the jury will be sequestered to watch this video privately, otherwise you're going to have a lot of sick and headline-mongering piranhas snapping their jaws, seeing who can describe it in the most explicit and disturbing way.

We're seeing this sicko's face on the news on a weekly basis now, every time I see a new headline featuring his ugly mug, it turns my stomach.

Never thought of that. Good point though. As the defendant he has the right to watch any evidence against him I would assume. He should not be allowed to watch the video.
I can't even begin to imagine...... my mind can't even go there.

During the Paul Bernardo murder trial here in Toronto, the videos of the multiple rapes and beatings of Leslie Mahaffey and Kristen French were shown to the Jury in open court however, only the jurors were able to see the videos. Everyone else, including Bernardo got "sound" only. It was excruciatingly painful for the families and the reporters who sat through them day after day. Many had to leave the courtroom as they couldn't bear it. The families mostly left.

Hopefully in this case, the court will do it's best to ensure the victim is provided as much dignity as is possible. What a horrible thing to have to watch. I just can't imagine.

During the Paul Bernardo murder trial here in Toronto, the videos of the multiple rapes and beatings of Leslie Mahaffey and Kristen French were shown to the Jury in open court however, only the jurors were able to see the videos. Everyone else, including Bernardo got "sound" only. It was excruciatingly painful for the families and the reporters who sat through them day after day. Many had to leave the courtroom as they couldn't bear it. The families mostly left.

Hopefully in this case, the court will do it's best to ensure the victim is provided as much dignity as is possible. What a horrible thing to have to watch. I just can't imagine.

At least there won't be any screams seeing this manly man abuses dead people!!!

MOO!!

They can't put the jury into a separate room to have them view the video. It has to be done in the courtroom. However, I have no doubt the judge will make sure that only the jury and attorneys can see that evidence and everyone else, including people sitting in the gallery, will not.

As for the media, all media is in the business of selling their news. It's all about ratings and always has been and always will be. If people are turned off by what any media person is reporting or how they're reporting it, then the way to strike back is to not be a consumer of that newspaper or TV channel. Otherwise any attention, even negative attention, is considered a positive.

The trial begins today. Keeping Jessica's loved ones in my thoughts.

Riley Yates ‏@riley_yates [video=twitter;664079165038137344]https://twitter.com/riley_yates/status/664079165038137344[/video] Jack McMahon made it. Gregory Graf trial to begin.

Trial to begin as scheduled. I haven't found a live stream but will post it if I find one.

As Gregory R. Graf's murder trial opened on Tuesday, a prosecutor outlined the evidence authorities have gathered to show that the Allen Township man killed his stepdaughter, then sexually abused her corpse.

Graf, defense attorney Jack McMahon told jurors, is guilty of murdering 33-year-old Jessica Padgett, then videotaping himself performing sex acts on her corpse.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/...dgett-murder-trial-begins-20151110-story.html

So so awful. I have to recap but is he still pleading not guilty and his lawyer is saying he's guilty but not of 1st degree murder? That's the "strategy"?

LaurieMasonSchroeder ‏@LehighCourts
Disturbing details as Greg Graf's murder trial begins: http://fw.to/mZn8p9l

There is no live stream and no one is live tweeting. The above article is a good recap of what happened in court yesterday.

Oh my lord. This horrible, horrible man. Apparently he made the comment to arresting officers that he "should have killed his neighbor instead. No one would have looked for her." I think that statement alone shows that he just wanted to kill a woman.

A few things have been mentioned in news reports that had been unreleased to the public previously:

Graf went to an adult store the day before the murder and purchased items that he used in his video.

Graf went to a local hardware store the day after and purchased carpet cleaner and mops.

Graf called Jessica repeatedly the morning of the murders, with excuses of needing help with a computer program asap in order to lure her over to his home that day.

Graf was extremely concerned about police helicopters that were using infrared technology to search for Jessica, and kept asking questions about how they worked.

A person that came to the residence to search for Jessica the day she disappeared saw Graf wipe blood off his hands.

Graf called his answering service shortly after Jessica's murder and was joking around with them, kiddingly calling the person "sleepy".

Graf claims he "doesn't remember" the murder. Perhaps the video will help remind him.

Graf's own daughter testified against him and stated that when searchers wanted to look in the area that Jessica was concealed, he deterred anyone from looking there, stating that the area had already been thoroughly searched. She also stated that he was acting distraught and worried about Jessica's whereabouts.

His lawyer is stating that he is guilty of murder and sexual abuse, but that it was not premeditated. If it is deemed he killed on the spur of the moment and it was NOT premeditated, his sentencing could be 20 to 40 years at most.

If it is ruled that it WAS premeditated (and let's face it, it's pretty clear it was) then he can get life with no possibility of parole.

At this point, I question what the point is. If it is ruled that it was NOT premeditated, I'm sure due to the brutal and abusive way he killed, he would get the max allowed, 40 years. Graf is 53 years old. Does he have some pipe dream of being released as a 90 year old man and being able to resume his "hunts"?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back