PA - Josh Kruger, 39, community advocate and journalist, shot and killed at home - Philadelphia, 2 Oct 2023

ifindedout

Reaction score
Police are investigating after an LGBTQ+ and homelessness community advocate and journalist was shot and killed inside his South Philadelphia home early Monday.

According to law enforcement officials, the 39-year-old man -- identified as Josh Kruger by the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office -- was shot several times in the chest and abdomen just before 1:30 a.m. in a home along the 2300 block of Watkins Street.

Kruger died at the hospital a short time later, police said.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney in a post on X, the platform formally known as Twitter, remembered Kruger as a person who "cared deeply about our city and its residents."

The Inquirer reported Monday that Kruger had posted to Facebook in September about a person who had entered his home, searching for their boyfriend. Kruger said the person identified themself as "Lady Diabla, the She-Devil of the Streets." On Monday, those details could not be found on posts to Kruger's Facebook page that were publicly viewable.

In an Aug. 29 post to Instagram, Kruger shared photos from a home security camera of a dark-colored Ram 1500 pickup truck and wrote that the driver had "sent a heavy glass egg (?!) projectile through my front window." He called it "seemingly a targeted act" and asked for help identifying the pickup's driver.

Kruger was an award-winning journalist who wrote for many publications in Philadelphia as a staff member and freelance writer, including PhillyVoice, the Inquirer, BillyPenn, WHYY, Philadelphia Magazine and others. He also spent five years as a spokesperson and content director for City Hall before he resumed his career as a journalist in 2021.

"A freelance journalist was shot and killed at his home in South Philadelphia early Monday morning, the police said. The journalist, Josh Kruger, 39, was shot seven times. The police said that no arrests had been made and that no weapon was found. The police arrived at the scene about 1:30 a.m., and Mr. Kruger was pronounced dead at a hospital around 2:15."

From realanastasia's Inquirer link ..

The charity others showed him during times of hardship influenced how he treated people — and pets — in his life. He often took in older, hard-to-adopt cats, including those with FIV, the feline version of HIV. His current companion and “best friend” was a one-toothed senior cat named Mason.

How lovely.
RIP Josh Kruger.

Jaz Brown heard the gunshots and screams of her neighbor, Kruger, outside their door early Monday morning.

"Josh was calling for help and I called the police to make sure they'd come out for them," Brown said.
[snip]
"When I was a victim of a hate crime, he was one of the first people to be neighborly and come over and provide support. Kind words. At that time I feared for my safety. I feared people would come back again," Stephens said.
Philadelphia journalist Josh Kruger shot, killed inside Point Breeze neighborhood home

Kenney said in a statement on Monday that he was "shocked and saddened" by Kruger's death.
1696411516761.jpeg
"[Kruger] cared deeply about our city and its residents, which was evident in his public service and writing," Kenney said in a statement. "Our administration was fortunate to call him a colleague, and our prayers are with everyone who knew him."

The DA's LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee said Kruger never stopped fighting for Philadelphia's LGBTQ+ community.

Kendall Stephens, who was a friend and neighbor of Kruger's, said he was a force for change who lived out the words he wrote to give voice to the voiceless.

Last edited:
Police identified the suspect as Robert Edmond Davis. Davis' last known address is about two blocks from where Kruger lived.

Davis is described as a 19-year-old Black male standing 5-foot-5 and weighing 160 pounds.

He is considered armed and dangerous.

If you see Davis, do not approach him but call 911 immediately.
Arrest warrant issued in murder of Philly advocate and journalist Josh Kruger

Police are investigating after an LGBTQ+ and homelessness community advocate and journalist was shot and killed inside his South Philadelphia home early Monday.

According to law enforcement officials, the 39-year-old man -- identified as Josh Kruger by the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office -- was shot several times in the chest and abdomen just before 1:30 a.m. in a home along the 2300 block of Watkins Street.

Kruger died at the hospital a short time later, police said.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney in a post on X, the platform formally known as Twitter, remembered Kruger as a person who "cared deeply about our city and its residents."

The Inquirer reported Monday that Kruger had posted to Facebook in September about a person who had entered his home, searching for their boyfriend. Kruger said the person identified themself as "Lady Diabla, the She-Devil of the Streets." On Monday, those details could not be found on posts to Kruger's Facebook page that were publicly viewable.

In an Aug. 29 post to Instagram, Kruger shared photos from a home security camera of a dark-colored Ram 1500 pickup truck and wrote that the driver had "sent a heavy glass egg (?!) projectile through my front window." He called it "seemingly a targeted act" and asked for help identifying the pickup's driver.

Kruger was an award-winning journalist who wrote for many publications in Philadelphia as a staff member and freelance writer, including PhillyVoice, the Inquirer, BillyPenn, WHYY, Philadelphia Magazine and others. He also spent five years as a spokesperson and content director for City Hall before he resumed his career as a journalist in 2021.
More in the attached article. I encourage reading it in entirety. What a loss.

1696688563593.png
Robert Davis, 19, was named as the suspect in the death of freelance reporter Josh Kruger in his Point Breeze neighborhood on Monday.Philadelphia Police Department

''Police noted there is footage that shows Davis in the area of Kruger’s house before the fatal shooting, but a specific location wasn’t given.

A motive for the shooting was not provided by police either''

Oct 6, 2023 article

[…]

Police say Davis is still at large and is considered to be armed and dangerous.

[…]

Police said they have video of the suspect in the area of Kruger's home before the shooting.

[…]

Arrest Warrant Issued For Suspect in Murder of Josh Kruger, Police Say Journalist Trying to Help Teen Who Killed Him/

Robert Edmond Davis, 19, was identified as the suspect, Philadelphia police homicide unit Lt. Hamilton Marshmond said during a Friday news conference, per CNN.

Marshmond said an arrest warrant that “includes the charges of murder and related offenses” was issued, according to the outlet. He also urged the suspect to surrender to police.

"Our goal is to have Mr. Davis taken into custody in a safe manner for the public, our officers and himself,” the police lieutenant said.

The family’s contentions come as detectives separately discovered and are investigating what multiple law enforcement sources have called explicit photos and messages in Kruger’s phone. The sources, who requested anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation, did not say whether the images or messages were connected to Davis, but said they were “disturbing” and have been turned over to the department’s Special Victims Unit for further analysis.

Deputy Police Commissioner Frank Vanore said the contents of Kruger’s phone are part of the investigation as detectives seek to learn more about why he may have been killed. But critical details of what happened, he said, lie with Davis, who remains at-large.

“I think he could answer a lot of questions if he comes into custody and surrenders,” Vanore said. “It might help us put all this together.”

The family’s contentions come as detectives separately discovered and are investigating what multiple law enforcement sources have called explicit photos and messages in Kruger’s phone. The sources, who requested anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation, did not say whether the images or messages were connected to Davis, but said they were “disturbing” and have been turned over to the department’s Special Victims Unit for further analysis.

Deputy Police Commissioner Frank Vanore said the contents of Kruger’s phone are part of the investigation as detectives seek to learn more about why he may have been killed. But critical details of what happened, he said, lie with Davis, who remains at-large.

“I think he could answer a lot of questions if he comes into custody and surrenders,” Vanore said. “It might help us put all this together.”

I suspected from the get go that this would be a domestic crime and that it would be sordid, but I never imagined it would be (allegedly) criminal. Though nobody deserves to be murdered, it sounds like Kruger was weaving a tangled web.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhysiare
Back