Found Deceased PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If JS was released from prison in Feb 2019....could there be more victims?? Scary thought!! Anymore missing girls in the area?
Oh, I believe once LE knew he was responsible for the abduction of Linda Stoltzfoos you can believe they had other LE searching for other victims and are still looking into that aspect including in nearby/ neighboring states.

I’m personally unclear as to where the owner of the property was when he saw smoker’s car again and went to have a look. That said it’s a quiet rural area and I’m sure at most he’s thinking it’s some harmless idiot looking to steal tools. Smoker wasn’t around, he was likely way off behind the property burying her clothes near the train tracks. So it probably just looked like no one was around and he snapped his pics. I still say he saw tools because that would a) validate his most likely fear of a burglary, and b) explain why it took so long for the police to show. If he saw a gun or a body or bloody clothes they would have been out there in a hot second.
Your right Torbs, that place would have been surrounded by LE.

TwoBlueJays, please tell me when was he (JS) in prison for non-violent juvenile offenses ? In 2007, at the age of 21 (JS) was sentenced and served 12 years in prison for a 5 day string of armed robberies of businesses with a BB gun; his 18 year old younger brother was arrested as well. JS was released in February of 2019. JS was certainly not a mentor or a good role model for his younger brother IMO. He went to high school in Kinzers which is less than 8 miles from Bird In Hand, had a 3.0 grade average and was a wrestling star. Talk about going down the wrong road in life. Oh, boy!!!!!
Sorry, some of the articles I read downplayed the robberies, essentially saying that he robbed a farm stand with a BB gun. It sounded like a dumb kid crime, not a felonious assault with a weapon.

I believe the reason it took so long for police to respond to the shed company is do to the lack of police coverage. It’s covered by state police who have a Large coverage area.

Good morning! Just a few thoughts...

I wonder if they have any evidence that suggests JS had LS at his apartment.

I wonder if JS had a girlfriend since he was released from prison and if anything with a woman precipitated this event.

I wonder what evidence has been found in JS’s car.

I still wonder what precipitated all the water searching that the Amish did.

I wonder if JS was on something when he did this somewhat disorganized kidnapping.

I wonder if LE has told the Stoltzfoos family that evidence indicates that LS is definitely no longer alive.

I wonder if the somewhat paltry information that’s come out since the arrest of JS means that LE is still looking at other arrests.

JMO

Good morning! Just a few thoughts...

I wonder if they have any evidence that suggests JS had LS at his apartment.

I wonder if JS had a girlfriend since he was released from prison and if anything with a woman precipitated this event.

I wonder what evidence has been found in JS’s car.

I still wonder what precipitated all the water searching that the Amish did.

I wonder if JS was on something when he did this somewhat disorganized kidnapping.

I wonder if LE has told the Stoltzfoos family that evidence indicates that LS is definitely no longer alive.

I wonder if the somewhat paltry information that’s come out since the arrest of JS means that LE is still looking at other arrests.

JMO
I wonder if a coworker reported to LE that JS had gone camping, fishing up in Welsh Mountain Preserve and that's what led to begin searching there as well.

And I wonder why JS who was given a chance at a decent life after a terrible first few years and who seemed to respond through his high school years, would blow it all on an armed robbery spree. He even said at trial that he was raised better than that and his parents continue to support him even after 12 years in prison. He had a job and a car and a supportive family, why couldn't he respond to that and stay out of trouble? I think she was a random target but I think he set out that morning to do something to someone one. Why did he escalate in that direction and manner instead of a couple of more armed robberies like before?

or a tool, like a hammer or crowbar. I wonder if that’s what the Ronks business owner saw in the car that caused him to take pictures. He might have associated tools like that with a break-in attempt, which is what he was probably worried about when he called 911.

JMO
I agree he saw something in the vehicle like that or maybe a shovel with some women's clothing near it or something.

Whatever it was, it looked out of place and suspicious when coupled with the vehicle being where it was.

I also agree with others that he probably had a weapon that made the girl comply with him. A few commands like dont scream or run and lying to her that she would not be hurt so long as she comes with him may have made her comply.

If anyone pulls a weapon on you and tells you to follow them to their car and not to scream or run. Scream and run!

As mentioned already by others, studies have shown that your odds are not good if you let yourself be taken from the initial abduction location to somewhere else. The "somewhere else" is usually very bad and the chances are it will end badly if you get taken away to it.

This case is so upsetting and the monster needs locked away forever or worse. I feel so bad for the Amish community as they will be more fearful now of outsiders.

And I wonder why JS who was given a chance at a decent life after a terrible first few years and who seemed to respond through his high school years, would blow it all on an armed robbery spree. He even said at trial that he was raised better than that and his parents continue to support him even after 12 years in prison. He had a job and a car and a supportive family, why couldn't he respond to that and stay out of trouble? I think she was a random target but I think he set out that morning to do something to someone one. Why did he escalate in that direction and manner instead of a couple of more armed robberies like before?
I have a friend who has experience with adoption of children who are not infants and have had very rough beginnings, and he believes JS may demonstrate an extreme level of reactive attachment disorder. I think the idea is that neglect, abuse, inconsistent care, and having to fend for oneself into early childhood can essentially create a sociopath and accomplished manipulator who is incapable of empathy and caring relationships. Kind of like an alligator can be your pet until it decides to eat you. Obviously this is just speculation, but it explains why a person could have been “rescued” and handed a perfect life but inexplicably seems to take the wrong path.

JMO AND YMMV

I have a friend who has experience with adoption of children who are not infants and have had very rough beginnings, and he believes JS may demonstrate an extreme level of reactive attachment disorder. I think the idea is that neglect, abuse, inconsistent care, and having to fend for oneself into early childhood can essentially create a sociopath and accomplished manipulator who is incapable of empathy and caring relationships. Kind of like an alligator can be your pet until it decides to eat you. Obviously this is just speculation, but it explains why a person could have been “rescued” and handed a perfect life but inexplicably seems to take the wrong path.

JMO AND YMMV
What I was thinking after watching a show on feral children; they said if you can get to them by age 3, (or 4?), you could be successful in getting them back to "normal" but after that it's much more difficult. (Paraphrased, of course.)

It appears he thrived and even excelled while living with his adoptive parents; was he incapable of self-control once he was on his own ? He could have gotten help, but chose not to.

It appears he thrived and even excelled while living with his adoptive parents; was he incapable of self-control once he was on his own ? He could have gotten help, but chose not to.
Ex-PV wrestler gets 12 1/2 - 30 yrs. for area holdups

At the sentencing as outlined in the article above, one of his parents said he was “trouble” from the time they got him. Now he was obviously a good athlete and an above-average student.

MOO: But at home, things were probably not so rosy. I imagine there were patterns of dishonesty, being destructive, harming parents and siblings, impulsive and risky behavior...not things you call the police for, and often not things you confide in other people, because as parents you are doing everything right.

Edited to add: I have seen this close up, and it didn’t end well for the child. The heartbreaking thing was that there were no winners. Poverty and neglect stacked the deck against this child, the parents believed they were saving a life and doing a good thing, other people suffered as the child got older and more dangerous, resistant to any kind of intervention...and as a teen this particular boy took his own life.

If a child spends his first 7 years, "on the streets" uncared for and unloved and not learning how to think of others or considering their feelings, learning empathy or compassion, how hard it must have been to be placed in an environment where those attributes are taught and expected and modeled everyday. Those synapses in his brain never developed, then he went to prison for 12 years where those behaviors were never modeled. It is no wonder this has turned out like it has. MOO MOO MOO

What I was thinking after watching a show on feral children; they said if you can get to them by age 3, (or 4?), you could be successful in getting them back to "normal" but after that it's much more difficult. (Paraphrased, of course.)
Feral children. Never heard that term before stopstaring. My sister used to feed feral cats at several locations. At one spot, they would not go near the food or water till she was a safe distance away. Another site she trapped some and had them spayed or neutered and returned them to their colony. While they may adapt to a new environment if forced to, they pretty much continued to be unruly and untrusting.

Last edited:
Feral children. Never heard that term before stopstaring. My sister used to feed feral cats at several locations. At one spot, they would not go near the food or water till she was a safe distance away. Another site she trapped some and had them spayed or neutered and returned them to their colony. While they may adapt to a new environment if forced to, they pretty much continued to be unruly and untrusting.

JMO
Re BBM
Ive never heard the term either but I like it as it is a good comparison.

We successfully brought in and raised a feral cat but it took a lot of work to gain its trust and have it calm down to where it became a loving pet cat for us.

There were certain traits that he never could shake like bringing us home trophies to show off like some cats do. But most cats will bring home mice or small birds. Our feral cat would bring home large squirrels and medium sized rabbits.

He never liked being in our house but he loved our garage and that was his nighttime sleeping place as each night he would wait for us to open the garage to let him come inside to sleep the night safely. Then in morning he would be let out and he loved the outside and being free to roam.

As he got older, he stayed closer and closer to the house and stopped roaming far. He protected "his yard" with a passion.

It was the most amazing and wonderful pet cat we ever had and we miss him to this day. It took about 3-4 years before we considered the cat to be domiciled enough to be called a real pet cat. A lot of gentle and friendly work with it, and it came around nicely.

We have tried that with other ferals and it did not work out. They wanted to stay wild.

I still feel its brazen to walk up and take pictures of someones interior. The resident saw something big to risk taking pictures knowing driver can walk up to him with a gun. To risk all this for pictures do you think he saw a back seat of blood or bloody clothes?
I do wonder the same. I have seen suspicious vehicles. My goal is to photograph the license plate and outside of the car. Never once has it occurred to me to photograph the interior. Now if I glanced in and saw something that didn't look right at all, I would take a quick look around, behind me, snap photos and run. The only reason I would take picture of an interior is if something looked wrong.

I still feel its brazen to walk up and take pictures of someones interior. The resident saw something big to risk taking pictures knowing driver can walk up to him with a gun. To risk all this for pictures do you think he saw a back seat of blood or bloody clothes?
I do wonder the same. I have seen suspicious vehicles. My goal is to photograph the license plate and outside of the car. Never once has it occurred to me to photograph the interior. Now if I glanced in and saw something that didn't look right at all, I would take a quick look around, behind me, snap photos and run. The only reason I would take picture of an interior is if something looked wrong.

If a child spends his first 7 years, "on the streets" uncared for and unloved and not learning how to think of others or considering their feelings, learning empathy or compassion, how hard it must have been to be placed in an environment where those attributes are taught and expected and modeled everyday. Those synapses in his brain never developed, then he went to prison for 12 years where those behaviors were never modeled. It is no wonder this has turned out like it has. MOO MOO MOO
It could be something as simple as he was born with a deficiency in his brain Rosiebones. While we delve into the why of his behavior, I have to remind myself this man is a monster and should never ever be let out of jail. He has caused one beautiful young woman unspeakable pain, suffering, and anguish along with her family and community. I just randomly chose a post to respond to so please don't take this personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member