PA PA - Markia Benson, 36, found slain in bathtub, Secane, 30 Mar 2016

I am surprised there hasn't been more about this case, but looks like not many suspects maybe. Wonder who the BF was that found her? I can't find her FB page, it is no longer there. I was just wondering if there were any names released as to who was the NJ person.

I am surprised there hasn't been more about this case, but looks like not many suspects maybe. Wonder who the BF was that found her? I can't find her FB page, it is no longer there. I was just wondering if there were any names released as to who was the NJ person.

The extreme brutality of this crime and the lack of publicity following it saddens me :-(

This article from back in April 2016: http://www.phillyvoice.com/upper-darby-police-still-searching-markia-bensons-killer/ said they have:
numerous suspects

I can't find her FB page but I found a go fund me page that I believe was formed in memory of Markia. Its called the "The MYB (Markia Y Benson) Foundation for Domestic Violence Awareness" and it looks like it was set up by Markia's sister and boyfriend- in the "story" part it says the page was:
born as a result of trying to cope with the loss of our beloved sister and girlfriend
https://www..com/t2yqs2pd

The page says the aim of the MYB foundation is to bring:
awareness to the acts of and those who have been a victim of domestic violence.

The definition of "domestic violence" is:
violent or aggressive behaviour within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner

Do you think this implies that they believe acts of domestic violence led to Markia's death? i.e. that a former spouse or partner was responsible?

This would explain the personal nature of the crime. As this article says:
The homicide scene was indicative of somebody who was really, really angry. This was personal. We believe it was a crime of passion and hatred.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/upper-darby-police-still-searching-markia-bensons-killer/

JawNZ thank you for the info and reply.

I think that there is more to the story than we are hearing, only because of some of the wording in the articles and I have seen something like this before. I am not saying it is connected, just that it sounds familiar to something else. So I was looking for an article to see if they have any suspects, ( I know they have many) but this case did too. Thanks again.

It works for me. But, it's pretty locked down and won't tell you much.

I kept trying to get the link to work and finally it did, now It's gone again. I can't believe nothing on this case, sounded like they had a POI and someone failed a poly. She was from NJ and recently moved to her apartment. But worked in Philly, I think.

I keep looking for any updates or a name of the person they interviewed. I guess they are building their case, I hope so. This kind of horrible violence has to be stopped. I see her face and I just feel so bad about what happened to her. God let LE get something to get an arrest.

Just bumping this thread. It doesn't look like this murder has been solved yet.

Just bumping this thread. It doesn't look like this murder has been solved yet.

I check on it about once or twice a month. Must be so frustrating for the family.

Very sad.

It sounded like the scene had a lot of evidence left behind so I was hopeful it would have been solved by now. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before arrests are made.

We have interviewed most of the people she associated with and polygraphed several people, individuals we feel could be a person of interest and we continue to focus on DNA.

According to Chitwood, due to the quantity of evidence inside the apartment, the unit was not returned to the family for several months after the incident.

A year after Markia Benson’s murder, the mystery remains unsolved

I still think of Markia. <3
I do too. I don't get how this vicious murder barely made news. I hope race wasn't a factor but if she was white this case would have been national or at least taken more seriously. In Plainsboro NJ Carolyn Byington had a similar attack, I don't mean it's the same offender but people were horrified and wanted answers from police the apartment complex. Markia has not gotten people to that level. Why?

I grew up not too far from here. I vaguely remember this from the news, as messy as the crime scene was, it’s hard to believe they don’t have something to make an arrest. Web sleuths is a little slow right now, so I am reluctant to click on the links. What part of Secane was this in? Near Aldan or toward Ridley(I remember a bunch of apartment complexes near the YMCA)? I would think in 2016 there would’ve been cameras at least in the parking lot or businesses near by might have captured something. I wonder why Clifton heights didn’t get the case, not that they’re any better than UD or Ridley. Her family should do interviews to let people know there hasn’t been any arrests. I pray Markia gets her justice!

I grew up not too far from here. I vaguely remember this from the news, as messy as the crime scene was, it’s hard to believe they don’t have something to make an arrest. Web sleuths is a little slow right now, so I am reluctant to click on the links. What part of Secane was this in? Near Aldan or toward Ridley(I remember a bunch of apartment complexes near the YMCA)? I would think in 2016 there would’ve been cameras at least in the parking lot or businesses near by might have captured something. I wonder why Clifton heights didn’t get the case, not that they’re any better than UD or Ridley. Her family should do interviews to let people know there hasn’t been any arrests. I pray Markia gets her justice!

Bolded by me.

I'm not sure any of us here know the area well enough to answer this question. I'd like to see the Cold Case ladies tackle this one. I bet they could get answers.

I thought the New Orleans Park Apartments were in Secane and in Ridley Township. Secane usually is. It's possible UD was consider more equipped to deal with a brutal murder. I grew up in Ridley Park which is inside Ridley Township (so weird lol). I don't know if many or Delaware County PA police departments can really handle a homicide that isn't straightforward. Markia Benson's murder seems to be brutal and senseless with know clear suspects. I hope it gets solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back