Identified! PA - Newport Township, WhtFem 15-21, UP10836, Alden Mountain, Nov'12 - Joan Marie Dymond

victoriarobinson642

Reaction score
NAMUS:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

---

Article:
DA, PSP, Luzerne Foundation partner to fund cold case investigations | Times Leader

---
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.27.38 PM.png

Demographics
Sex - Female
Race / Ethnicity - White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Range (Years) - 15-21
Date Body Found - November 17, 2012
Condition of Remains - Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

---

Jane Doe, Newport Township, was discovered on Nov. 17, 2012, on Alden Mountain Newport Township Luzerne County. The human remains were discovered on Earth Conservancy Inc., coal company wasteland. The remains were discovered by individuals digging for relics near an old mine shaft.

The remains were determined to be that of a female estimated to be in her late teens/early 20s. The remains examined suggest death due to foul play. The remains are estimated to have been present since possibly the 1960s.

The remains were submitted for DNA testing, a profile suitable for CODIS search was developed. CODIS stands for Combined DNA Index System. This is a national database comprised of several indexes including DNA profiles of convicted offenders, profiles developed from evidence in unsolved crimes, and profiles developed for the identification of missing persons.

This search did not yield any investigative leads as to the person’s identity.

The advent of forensic genetic genealogy is another avenue to potentially identify the remains. The remains will be submitted to Othram, a company that specializes in degraded DNA samples.

---

I remembered there was just about no info on this case when I first saw it, so I'm glad that something is finally moving with it. That area's pretty isolated -- I have a friend who lives nearby there and, like a good portion of the county outside of Wilkes-Barre + Hazleton, it's heavily wooded. Alden Mountain Road is actually right outside of Nanticoke, though, a decently sized town. I wouldn't be surprised if she came from there, because Nanticoke doesn't have a very good reputation crime-wise. From personal experience, the place just feels threatening, and friends there have said that it can be pretty scary at times. Interesting to see a reconstruction, too, plus that bit that says she could have been there since the 1960s; not surprising given that road is flanked on both sides by a thick forest canopy, and I doubt people would be actively romping around back there very much.

Actually, I just checked the coordinates, and, assuming I put them in right, they're much closer to Nanticoke than I thought. The coordinates peg the remains as being right at the end of a residential street?

Edit: nevermind I can't read, it specifies how the remains were found. That makes more sense.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220304-234928_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220304-234928_Maps.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Original
Original
Original

Alternative reconstuctions

Looks like she was identified? No name released, pending the conference. Missing since 1969, so the PMI seems like it was spot on.

"State police at Wilkes-Barre have scheduled a news conference for Monday to release the identity of a teenage girl reported missing in 1969."

This article states her name to be 'Joan Marie Dymond', missing since June 25, 1969.
This is what her friend said in the comments section:

"I can't believe it. I grew up down the street from Joanie. I recall her going missing after my family had moved from Andover Street. This was the heyday of the "love generation," and her parents and family were plagued with gossip that she had joined a cult, run away with "hippies," taken off for the West Coast, for Texas, for--you name it. Over the years, gossip changed. It was that her family had learned her whereabouts but discouraged her from returning. Oh, those poor people. I can't believe all the rumors, all the neighborhood biddies (male and female), talking Joanie and her family down. I'm just stunned. God Bless the Dymonds. Joanie was pretty and friendly and kind. So was her family. They didn't deserve this, and please respect her memory and theirs. For anyone who grew up in the Rolling Mill Hill section of Wilkes-Barre at that time, remember that in 1969, those of us who were lucky enough got to watch the moon landing. That's how long this family has waited. I don't know if the Dymonds are still in the area or if Joanie's parents are still alive. Whatever family members are still here to learn this sad news, please believe that many people refused to engage in gossip and prayed for her safe return. Rest in Peace, Joanie. I'm stunned."

This is what her friend said in the comments section:

"I can't believe it. I grew up down the street from Joanie. I recall her going missing after my family had moved from Andover Street. This was the heyday of the "love generation," and her parents and family were plagued with gossip that she had joined a cult, run away with "hippies," taken off for the West Coast, for Texas, for--you name it. Over the years, gossip changed. It was that her family had learned her whereabouts but discouraged her from returning. Oh, those poor people. I can't believe all the rumors, all the neighborhood biddies (male and female), talking Joanie and her family down. I'm just stunned. God Bless the Dymonds. Joanie was pretty and friendly and kind. So was her family. They didn't deserve this, and please respect her memory and theirs. For anyone who grew up in the Rolling Mill Hill section of Wilkes-Barre at that time, remember that in 1969, those of us who were lucky enough got to watch the moon landing. That's how long this family has waited. I don't know if the Dymonds are still in the area or if Joanie's parents are still alive. Whatever family members are still here to learn this sad news, please believe that many people refused to engage in gossip and prayed for her safe return. Rest in Peace, Joanie. I'm stunned."
The same friend posted another comment, which seemed to confirm what I suspected from the photo and mentioned on Reddit yesterday. The composites were not even close:

"I grew up with Joanie on Andover Street. She was a few years older than me, and her disappearance was a tragedy that broke her parents' and family's heart. Please have some respect for people who still remember her--she was pretty and kind and friendly. She looked nothing like the sketch above. She looked like the girl who played Mary Ellen on the Waltons. Please respect the dead."

RIP Joanie. I hope they find who did this to you. It was so close to home. Is a teenager or local keeping a secret?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.11.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.11.34 AM.png
    215.2 KB · Views: 76

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads