PA PA - Patty Bartlett, 17, Middletown, 13 Jan 1975

From what I've read about that Hadden Clark guy who turned out to be a serial killer, he had a less-than-stellar childhood and was an... "interesting"... character if you want to read up more on him. When that detective went to interview him, I guess there wouldn't have been any concrete evidence linking him to it and they couldn't really pin anything on him. As for denying stabbing Patty, the fake ID she had in her purse would have obviously been different so of course that name wouldn't have rang a bell. At any rate, he lived in the same area and went to the same high school as Patty, although, he had already graduated in 1972. Even though he seemed to have a pretty major mental illness, he still seemed pretty intelligent and was even trained as a chef after graduating. Which obviously means he had access to variety knives which I'm sure were kept razor sharp. So after that background info, and it's certainly not meant to be taken as absolute fact, here's my theory as to what happened...

He may have either been working at or living near the mall during that time period. Obviously it can't be determined if Patty was targeted or just at the wrong place, but at any rate he accosts and stabs her. The weather was wintry and he might have previously calculated that would get rid of any evidence on the outside. Then he runs back towards the mall into Gimbel's. Patty probably tries chasing after him the best she can since she has a temporary burst of adrenaline from what just happened. However, the blood loss causes her to collapse when she gets inside though while the stabber either lays low and/or somehow knows where the janitor's closet is. After Patty is taken to the hospital, the stabber, acting as the janitor, starts mopping up the blood to destroy any additional evidence which might tie him to the crime. It doesn't seem like the police ever questioned him and no description is ever given of what he might have looked like. Of course, nobody would really think anything of him anyway except that he's an idiot for "unintentionally" tampering with a crime scene. As for the weapon, it could have been hidden anywhere I suppose and then when he's able to escape, he can clean it up and put it back wherever he got it and nobody would be any the wiser.

Last edited:
Great first post.

The Witness report of hearing something and seeing a woman .(.linked in post 2 I think.)
Is interesting in terms of Hadden Clark , as he has dressed as a woman while murdering a woman .. The poster who stated that would not have known Patty's name makes a good point too. Going though Police reports in the near by areas could show something enlightening . In the 70s cases it seems TO ME often the murders would get arrested for bad behavior in the days prior to or shortly after due to the weird processing of the precursor of aftermath of the crime. We know a lot more about peoples issues now than we used to so the answer if probably in the file really.

''Dec 2, 2023 #news #pennsylvania #crimefighters
Bucks County man searches for information in 1975 stabbing death of his sister''

Dec 2 2023
By Rick Williams and Heather Grubola rbbm.

''LANGHORNE, Pennsylvania (WPVI) -- Nearly five decades have passed since the fatal stabbing of a teenage girl in the parking lot of a Bucks County mall.

Now, her brother is coming forward to make a plea to finally close her case.

Glen Bartlett was 13 years old when his sister Patty Bartlett was killed in 1975.

"Feels like yesterday," Glen told Action News.

He says Patty's passion was photography.

"She was going to the Philadelphia Art Institute for photography," Glen said.

On January 13, 1975, the 17-year-old was out getting film.

"The first snowfall of the season, she was going to get film up at the Oxford Valley Mall," Glen recalled.

At 5:30 p.m., Patty was walking to her car when she was attacked. She was stabbed four times.

She made it back into the entrance of the store Gimbel's to get help. Medics rushed her to the hospital, where she later died.''

''Glen says an encounter with Patty a week before her death has always troubled him.

"I remember her working. She was working as a waitress at Coco's and somebody followed her home. She was scared to death of the guy," he said. "After about five minutes the guy took off, he left and a week later she was gone."

The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.

All you have to do is call 215-546-TIPS. All calls will remain anonymous.''

Unfortunately, today is the 49th anniversary of Patty's murder. Hopefully the case can get solved before it gets to an even 50 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back