Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli #4

The bassinets came in white as well as other colors (pastels). So that could have helped them narrow down who had bought the bassinet that came in that particular box - it would have been a white one based on the paint left on the inside of the box in shipping.

I recently read about a company that you can contract with to research whether any crimes, such as murder, occurred in your home. I'm starting to think that they may need to expand to researching the land under and around the house too.
When talking about land subjected to colonisation and genocide, we all live on land bathed in blood. I'm an Australian, and I live on stolen land every day. Traditional owners of the country I'm on no doubt died at white settler hands, either directly, or through introduced diseases.

What I'm trying to say is, when do we stop looking back? Does it only matter if the death is recent? If it's a child? If it's a person we can see in photographs and other media?

I understand why some people would get weirded out by knowing that a death had happened near or in their home, but there likely isn't a square foot of land on earth that hasn't had some kind of violent history take place on it. Time moves on. Just because something happened once, doesn't mean that place can't also have good things associated with it, and vice versa. I'm not in any way saying we should forget the lessons of the past. What I'm saying is, Joseph never got the life he should have. But maybe some other child is growing up happy and loved in the house built on or near the land he was found on. And it's right that that happens. Some places where deep and great evil were done don't change, and shouldn't. But, one child? Irreplaceable though he may be, that space should lose that evil association and grow beyond it.

I remember, oh, nearly twenty years ago now, I was in Melbourne. I'd never been there before. I was there for a week for the Comedy Festival, staying with a friend who used to rent an apartment and stay the whole month. We walked everywhere, and I remember looking out for Gun Alley, where little Alma Tirtschke was found. I was certain I was in the right place, but it wasn't there. Checking the maps later, I found I was correct. Gun Alley is gone, and a large, modern building completely covers the site where it was. I remember being startled by the fact that that large building completely obliterated the place Alma was found, like it was covering up HER. But she isn't there. I took a breath, then adjusted my perspective. Time has moved on. Alma mattered, and still matters, just as Joseph mattered, and still matters. A house or a building now being where they were found shouldn't change anything. I wish the tenants of both building and house every happiness.

When talking about land subjected to colonisation and genocide, we all live on land bathed in blood. I'm an Australian, and I live on stolen land every day. Traditional owners of the country I'm on no doubt died at white settler hands, either directly, or through introduced diseases.

What I'm trying to say is, when do we stop looking back? Does it only matter if the death is recent? If it's a child? If it's a person we can see in photographs and other media?

I understand why some people would get weirded out by knowing that a death had happened near or in their home, but there likely isn't a square foot of land on earth that hasn't had some kind of violent history take place on it. Time moves on. Just because something happened once, doesn't mean that place can't also have good things associated with it, and vice versa. I'm not in any way saying we should forget the lessons of the past. What I'm saying is, Joseph never got the life he should have. But maybe some other child is growing up happy and loved in the house built on or near the land he was found on. And it's right that that happens. Some places where deep and great evil were done don't change, and shouldn't. But, one child? Irreplaceable though he may be, that space should lose that evil association and grow beyond it.

I remember, oh, nearly twenty years ago now, I was in Melbourne. I'd never been there before. I was there for a week for the Comedy Festival, staying with a friend who used to rent an apartment and stay the whole month. We walked everywhere, and I remember looking out for Gun Alley, where little Alma Tirtschke was found. I was certain I was in the right place, but it wasn't there. Checking the maps later, I found I was correct. Gun Alley is gone, and a large, modern building completely covers the site where it was. I remember being startled by the fact that that large building completely obliterated the place Alma was found, like it was covering up HER. But she isn't there. I took a breath, then adjusted my perspective. Time has moved on. Alma mattered, and still matters, just as Joseph mattered, and still matters. A house or a building now being where they were found shouldn't change anything. I wish the tenants of both building and house every happiness.

I agree with what you're saying, especially about the long history of violence toward native people. Of course we must respect the fact that murders have happened everywhere. I do have to admit, though, that I would want to know if a murder had occurred in my actual home, if for no other reason than to be prepared for looky-loos and gawkers, attracted to the house because of the crime committed there.

Last edited:

Very well said.

Well I had a crazy thought. This is all hypothetical, and maybe has been thought of by someone else already - someone much more clever; I know there are many!

So MOO, IMO and all that...

Why would a little beaten, murdered boy not be acknowledged when found? Looking through old articles, it seems the mafia was active in Philadelphia at the time. I saw the articles, but it didn't occur to me until this morning, that if his death was a message being sent, the family might not acknowledge him out of fear for other family members or fear of certain activities being exposed.

And, imo, if past family were part of a certain sort of family business, even today I might not want to expose the activities of ancestors, and would still be tight-lipped.

It's a shame because this sweet little boy deserves to be acknowledged and claimed as part of a family. He deserves justice of some sort.

I believe he was cared for at some point in his life, most likely early on. Perhaps all 4 years.

Just a new thought that occurred to me. Moo!

In Savannah, GA, roads are built on top of graveyards.

Several of the victims of Jack the Ripper have had their plot rehomed to a more recently deceased.

Well I had a crazy thought. This is all hypothetical, and maybe has been thought of by someone else already - someone much more clever; I know there are many!

Why would a little beaten, murdered boy not be acknowledged when found? Looking through old articles, it seems the mafia was active in Philadelphia at the time. I saw the articles, but it didn't occur to me until this morning, that if his death was a message being sent, the family might not acknowledge him out of fear for other family members or fear of certain activities being exposed.

And, imo, if past family were part of a certain sort of family business, even today I might not want to expose the activities of ancestors, and would still be tight-lipped.

It's a shame because this sweet little boy deserves to be acknowledged and claimed as part of a family. He deserves justice of some sort.

I believe he was cared for at some point in his life, most likely early on. Perhaps all 4 years.

Piggyback off of this, my dad worked for my maternal grandfather, it was a bookie. He had other businesses that were not legal also.

All of this took place in the late 60s and early 70s. About 15 years ago, my dad and my brother were in that area and they ran into someone who my dad recognized from my grandfathers activities and my dad took off. My brother said that my dad was so afraid. The only explanation was that the man was someone that he recognize back when he used to run errands for my grandfather. I can’t imagine what else he has seen and I had no idea he was so afraid. My grandfather died in 1977.

My whole point is it is possible that some of this bad business keeps people afraid for a long time.

No..MOO..
It doesn't work that way

Ad for Penney's from Oil City, PA says pastel colors.

I wasn’t sure if the “pastel color” description was for the bassinet itself or for the liner/pad.

Description
“Vinyl plastic pad and liner.. waterproof.. pastel color spice”

I can’t read the second ad but looks like it’s for a blanket.

I’m wondering if they were all white with pastel liners, could be wrong.

Last edited:
I wasn’t sure if the “pastel color” description was for the bassinet itself or for the liner/pad.

Description
“Vinyl plastic pad and liner.. waterproof.. pastel color spice”

I can’t read the second ad but looks like it’s for a blanket.

Thinking they were all white with pastel liners, could be wrong.

I wonder what "spice" could refer to in regard to a bassinet? :confused:

I can't speak to the organized crime aspect of things, but my paternal great grandfather murdered someone over a hundred years ago and never faced justice. To this day, my remaining paternal aunts won't talk about it. My guess is my late grandmother harbored him as a fugitive on and off until he died. I think my aunts were complicit in it, and they're scared they'll get in trouble for helping her do it. So, even a hundred year old murder has my paternal family still looking over their shoulder.

Short Version of the post below. If you would like to donate to our volunteer moderator staff please do so using one of the places below. Please put "FOR THE MODS" in the description. Thank you.
PayPal
Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Bank to Bank using zelle please use the email address triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Please be sure to put in the memo "FOR THE MODS"

Hi Everyone,
Forgive me for interrupting but this is important. Please do not post questions about this post on this thread. Go to THIS THREAD to ask questions.

DID YOU KNOW BY THE END OF THE DAY OUR MODS WILL HAVE HANDLED HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF ALERTS? YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THIS BECAUSE THAT IS HOW GOOD THE MODS ARE AT THEIR JOBS.

One of the many things I love about Websleuths is we can come on here, discuss true crime, and not have to deal with all the stupid drama and baloney we have to deal with on other platforms. Do you know why? It is the hard work of our wonderful volunteer moderators.

Because of these incredible moderators, you don't see the following, the trolls that constantly try and disrupt. You don't see the newbies who don't know the rules and post a bunch of unproven rumors in cases, You don't see the mean people insulting your posts, you don't see the stupid threats angry people post, and guess what? I could go on and on. In other words, the mods make your experience the best you can find when it comes to discussing true crime.

If you could donate even one dollar that would be great. If half the people that come to Websleuths today donated one dollar we would be able to give the mods a wonderful bonus for all their hard work.

One hundred percent of the money raised goes to the moderators.

If you cannot donate we completely understand. If you could please post a word of thanks to our mods on THIS THREAD that would be wonderful.

If you would like to donate to the moderators at Websleuths.com please do so using one of the places below and be sure and put in the description "FOR THE MODS"
Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
OR you can use
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Bank to Bank using zelle please use the email address triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Please be sure to put in the memo "FOR THE MODS"

Websleuths.com will always be free for members. It costs nothing to join and it never will.
If you like to read at Websleuths because of the incredible work of our members please know the reason our members are able to do what they do is because of our dedicated volunteer moderator staff.

This video explains what the moderators do every day to keep Websleuths the most respected true crime discussion forum on the Internet.
Thank you,

Tricia Griffith Owner/Websleuths.com

I just ran across something interesting in relation to a past topic on this thread: can a birth mother choose the name for her child without the father's knowledge?

If she is married, then the father's name will be the husband. If she is not married, then the mom and dad must fill out an affidavit (with ID of course) for the father's name to be on birth certificate. This is the state of Florida. Years ago things were different and caused confusion and many lawsuits. That's why an unmarried dad must supply ID and sign affidavit before his name is entered on birth certificate. I included a link because it's been a while since I worked LDRP, but nothing's changed that I can see.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back