Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli #4

Replying to @Ontario Mom's post on previous thread.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Thank you so much. The ONLY reason for wanting to identify either parent is IF it's going to somehow lead us to WHO had Joseph at the time of his death.

Imo, and I guess it's just a gut feeling, his bio parents did not cause his death and did not know the BITB was their boy. My feeling, moo, is he was with his bio mom for a while and then *something* happened. And somehow, possibly through the foster system or the agency they worked with, or in an unofficial way, he ended up with an abusive guardian who murdered him.

MOO

And me as well. I want to know who committed these atrocities.
I have such a hard time connecting the 'crime' to the birth parents.

But WHY would this child be with another family or persons? I have my own suspicions for sure, but I would like to know why.
---If removed from birth mother immediately after birth, then the birth parents probably would not have recognized their child with the heavy publicity.
---If the child was removed from the birth mother later, then I would think that said birth mother would immediately worry/wonder if that was her child.

And I wish we knew PRECISELY what information the state of PA collects on those birth certificates.
----this is what is so frustrating... this information EXISTS, but we cannot see it.

When the hoopla settles down.... who would LE ask "is it ok to show the birth certificate now???"

In my opinion, the “ bath” and haircut and nail clipping was the mother attempting to clean up her child to make him look presentable ( in her mind) when found. He was truly neglected so no hair cuts, not fed much, etc and beat in life so her doing this was probably some reach to show some care for him and ease her guilt. I do think a step dad or boyfriend used Joseph as a punching bag and he was abused by both mother and her husband or boyfriend but the majority of the physical abuse came from the male.

Ya know, I hadn't thought about that. It really is a reasonable assessment.
Maybe guilt, or maybe a self-serving selfishness to have this dear child "look presentable".

If he was a foster child, there should’ve been records. I understand that there have been cases of lost foster children through the years, in different states, but most likely there would’ve been a paper trail and at some point he would’ve been missed by the agency. That’s why I’m leaning to adoption, most likely private, or an informal foster agreement.
There was group that originally was made up of upper class mothers, that grew into a more official agency that would place children in foster homes throughout the city. I wonder if their records might hold something that the county doesn't. All of their case files for the time period in question are housed at Temple Library. They are sorted into boxes by year, but there's no index or catalog of names... You have to go there physically and look through them. I wish I had the time and freedom to fly to Philadelphia and look through those boxes! But, what are the odds that LE hasn't already done that? I guess I don't really know. I haven't heard that they have, but it could be part of their due diligence.

The area that Joseph was found was used as an unofficial dumping ground back then, so it’s also possible that he was brought there with the intention of just leaving him or burying him in a shallow grave, but the box was already there so they put him in it instead.
The distance between the store and the site where JAZ was found was about 17 miles by car in 1953. That would be a long haul for throwing out an empty box.

No matter the circumstances of JAZ's birth and if he were given away or sold, why didn't the bio mother come forward? Surely, there was a tiny resemblance, a possibility he could have been hers? Wouldn't she want justice for her baby? She played a part in the cover up, if not responsible for his death, and she wasn't strong enough or cared to come forward.
The bio mother was the link in revealing his identity, I don't think we can get away from that fact. He was an abandoned soul by all who knew him in life.
Unless, she left the country and never returned, jmo.
She may not have known, if she gave the baby to someone else.

The distance between the store and the site where JAZ was found was about 17 miles by car in 1953. That would be a long haul for throwing out an empty box.
I’m not saying they bought the bassinet and then immediately drove from the store to toss out the box in Fox Chase. They could have received it as a gift
(perhaps even a holiday gift, given the timing that the bassinets were sold), had it at home in/near Fox Chase, and then tossed it. There’s just multiple ways for the box to have ended up there.

They said the box had white paint on it as it was used when the bassinet was painted and the bassinet that was contained inside is one that was accounted for in the nearby home for unwed mothers. Which JAZ was not part of just coincidence.

If he was a foster child, there should’ve been records. I understand that there have been cases of lost foster children through the years, in different states, but most likely there would’ve been a paper trail and at some point he would’ve been missed by the agency. That’s why I’m leaning to adoption, most likely private, or an informal foster agreement.

I keep thinking about this as well. In some cases, families 'need to remove a child from his/her current location' but want no records, or paper trail.

I had brought up a situation in one of my home town communities when i was growing up---A family whose daughter ended up having a lobotomy, and then was whisked away 'forever'. For some reason, her existence was not even known to most. Somehow the story leaked out and was probably spread with rumor and falsehoods--but it still was clear that she was never seen again. Some thought she had died, some thought she was in an institution...and who knows what else.

I think I relate it to this case, is that maybe there were reasons other than simply "out of wedlock" that this child was removed from the birth mother..... obviously this is MOO.

But I truly believe more will come out from now on....

They said the box had white paint on it as it was used when the bassinet was painted and the bassinet that was contained inside is one that was accounted for in the nearby home for unwed mothers. Which JAZ was not part of just coincidence.
It would a distance for them to have bought it in Upper Darby.

Also a fair point. I don't know what trash collection was like back then, but I bet there were plenty of commercial dumpsters between wherever the box came from and where it ended up. Why drive something as innocuous as an empty cardboard box out to a secluded area to dispose of it?

Fox Chase probably had numerous JC Penney's close by. They would have had to go to the other side of Philadelphia to shop in Upper Darby which was also another suburb of Philadelphia. JC Penney's used to be everywhere in the 1950's. They were kinda like WalMart. They had alot of small stores.
There were 4 in the area: Upper Darby, Germantown, Levittown & Camden.

Attachments

• JC_Penney_s_Philly_1957.jpg
    JC_Penney_s_Philly_1957.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
My entire town was basically a giant dump a long time ago. They made wooden foot bridges to walk over the trash ditch until roads were built. How many JC Penneys were there in the area at the time? Don't think dumpsters were as common as one might think either. It was obvious people used that site for refuse. They found 12 of those bassinets were sold from the same JC Penneys. Maybe all locations didn't carry the same products.

My entire town was basically a giant dump a long time ago. They made wooden foot bridges to walk over the trash ditch until roads were built. How many JC Penneys were there in the area at the time? Don't think dumpsters were as common as one might think either. It was obvious people used that site for refuse.
Aren't dumpsters a more modern invention? I had the feeling until relatively recently, when tip trucks became mechanised with lifting arms and such, it was strictly manual labour - garbage workers lifting trash cans and dumping them into the back of the truck?

Happy to be corrected, I haven't so much as Googled the history of garbage disposal.

I"February 2003: The investigators reported that they have successfully tracked down and interviewed several people who used to live in the Lower Merion neighborhood where the unknown boy allegedly resided. Thus far, none of these potential witnesses have been able to confirm that a child matching the unknown boy's description lived there at that time. The search for additional former neighborhood residents continues."

"September 2004: During the past year, Vidocq Society investigators located and interviewed additional people who used to live in the Lower Merion neighborhorhood where, according to the unsubstantiated testimony of an Ohio woman, the unknown boy was secretly confined in a basement and subjected to physical and sexual abuse for two years prior to his death. Two of the former neighbors had been frequent visitors to the home, and they had access to all areas, including the basement. They flatly denied that a young boy lived there. A female neighbor who had been a close friend of the family and attended the same church, said that she was astonished to learn of the false accusations being made against them. She stated that the Ohio woman's allegations are "preposterous." The Vidocq Society investigators believe they have now exhausted all investigative options relative to the Ohio lead. Sadly, what had initially appeared to be the most significant breakthrough in the long history of this investigation, has ultimately turned out to be just another frustrating dead end."

Wikipedia touches on this lady's statements too and it sounds like they were always a bit skeptical since she had a history of mental illness. She also came out with this statement in 2002. I was reading an article in the website above from 1957 and they were talking about the haircut. Makes you wonder what other details were out that this lady could have taken and ran with (baked beans).

Thanks for the updates relating to M, I hope her true identity was never revealed to the public.
If M had been subjected to emotional abuse by her parents, their love and affection was withheld, it would’ve been difficult for her to explain why she saw them as monsters, a mental illness develops and she fixated on the biggest story around, imo, one of a number of possibilities why she did it.

Aren't dumpsters a more modern invention? I had the feeling until relatively recently, when tip trucks became mechanised with lifting arms and such, it was strictly manual labour - garbage workers lifting trash cans and dumping them into the back of the truck?

Happy to be corrected, I haven't so much as Googled the history of garbage disposal.
Invented in 1936, but I don't think they were that widespread in the 1950's. There would be plenty of places to leave an empty box.

Invented in 1936, but I don't think they were that widespread in the 1950's. There would be plenty of places to leave an empty box.
But the label on the box clearly says Upper Darby.
Which means it unlikely to be purchased by the home in Fox Chase. The Germantown Penney's was half the distance.

We used to go to the dump. We also had trash pick up. There was less garbage then. Most unofficial dump sites were smallish. There is a picture of a woman and a cop at her curb in Philly in 1956, showing "acceptable" garbage collection day bags and boxes etc. .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back