Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any new leads on him?What are they doing right now to find out who he is? I'm hoping someone can call to see if they will do isotope testing on him to find out more about him to I hope and pray find out who he is.

Has there been any new leads on him?What are they doing right now to find out who he is? I'm hoping someone can call to see if they will do isotope testing on him to find out more about him to I hope and pray find out who he is.

You should call or email to suggest it.
Not sure if you saw the case Lori Ericka Ruff was just solved with genealogy DNA for family tree. Forensic genealogist Colleen Fitzpatrick solved the case. I emailed to congratulate her, asked if she's ever heard of boy in the box. She hasn't replied, I'm sure she's being hounded by all sorts of people with cases.

‘My God, that’s Kimberly!’: Scientist solves perplexing mystery of identity thief Lori Ruff - Originally published September 21, 2016 at 12:30 pm Updated September 24, 2016 at 1:46 am

Colleen Fitzpatrick, a nuclear-physicist-turned-forensic genealogist, went about the investigation differently. As a scientist, she worked on lasers and optics for 25 years, often using beams of light as a yardstick for measuring something. “People used to ask what I did for a living,” she recalled. “I’d say I shine light on things.”

But in the early 2000s, she began writing a book about her hobby. “Forensic Genealogy” explained methodologies she had developed to solve different kinds of puzzles. Some have called it “CSI meets Roots.”

She has helped Holocaust survivors search for family members and adoptees find birthparents. She has helped estate lawyers track down heirs. In one case that made the news, she was able to find the identity of a child who died on the Titanic in 1912 by tracing his ancestry through his relatives’ DNA.

When Fitzpatrick read the story about Lori, she immediately thought about DNA. Lori and her husband, Blake Ruff, had a daughter in 2008 and that daughter shared Lori’s DNA. If the daughter provided a DNA sample, there was a way to subtract Blake’s DNA profile from the daughter’s, leaving what is essentially Lori’s.

The Ruff family sent a saliva sample to 23andMe and Ancestry.com, companies that analyze DNA and provide tools to help people trace their family histories online. The family figured that the girl would one day want to know about her mother.

“We were just wanting to at least have the ability to give her the answers,” said Miles Darby, Blake’s brother-in-law.

Fitzpatrick found a number of people whose DNA matched up with Lori’s, but most of them were distant cousins. They wouldn’t be any help in identifying Lori.

Just one person came up as a first cousin: a man named Michael Cassidy. There were no other details, just a name, and there are probably thousands of people by that name in the United States. Which was the right one? Contacting him via the genealogy sites drew no response. It’s unclear if he even saw the messages.

The Ruffs, along with Fitzpatrick and Velling, had reached a dead end.

And so they waited. Fitzpatrick periodically checked back in with the sites, working other angles as they popped up. All told, she figures she spent hundreds of hours on this. There were some clues pointing to the Pennsylvania area.

But for years, there was no real breakthrough. Then, finally, the name of a third cousin came up. That was too distant of a relative to provide answers to Lori’s identity.

But she could provide some clues through her family tree.

Fitzpatrick created a family tree based on the third cousin’s ancestry, tracing her family’s roots to an Irish great-great-grandfather who was born in 1848. Then — and this is the key — she traced that family tree all the way down another branch and came to a familiar name: Michael Cassidy.

“Suddenly, I had Lori’s extended family in front of me,” Fitzpatrick realized.

With the family tree built, Fitzpatrick was able to zero in on the right Michael Cassidy, who lived in the Philadelphia area.

Between Facebook, online obituaries, public records and people-finder tools used by private investigators, she put together a picture of the Cassidy family. She gleaned from the family tree that Lori’s mother almost certainly was one of Michael’s aunts. But which one? And what was Lori’s real name? There was no way to know.

She called Velling. He was convinced she was right.

Forensic genealogist! Love it!

Me too.

My biggest question is if they can use the raw results from the UNT/NamUs sample to do the family tree testing (I asked). Someone in Lori Ruff's thread said no but I'm not so sure because of the case below, they have hair from the remains. Part 1 give back ground, part 2 is the meat of the story.

After years of forensic investigation, Somerton Man's identity remains a mystery (Part 1: History and Code)

After years of forensic investigation, Somerton Man's identity remains a mystery (Part 2: DNA, isotopes, and autopsy)
June 3, 2015 by Lisa Zyga report

DNA testing

If the cryptographic analysis reaches a dead end, the question of the Somerton Man's identity can also be approached by testing his DNA and comparing it to that of millions of other individuals on genealogical databases.

For now, Abbott and other investigators have access only to DNA from the man's hair samples, which are preserved in a museum. Although the teeth would provide the best source of DNA, so far it has not been possible to exhume the body, since this involves fulfilling various legal requirements from the Attorney General of South Australia.

As Abbott explained, three types of DNA can be tested: mtDNA (inherited maternally), YDNA (inherited paternally), and autosomal DNA (inherited from both sides).

"Autosomal DNA is what's needed, and that's how adopted kids can find their biological parents, by a blind search," Abbott said. "It is inherited from both sides of the family, and when you put it in a genealogical database, you can get matches with recent relatives going up to about fifth cousin. By finding your web of cousins, you can triangulate their family trees and work out your unknown parents."

Me too.
My biggest question is if they can use the raw results from the UNT/NamUs sample to do the family tree testing (I asked). Someone in Lori Ruff's thread said no but I'm not so sure because of the case below, they have hair from the remains. Part 1 give back ground, part 2 is the meat of the story. After years of forensic investigation, Somerton Man's identity remains a mystery (Part 1: History and Code)

After years of forensic investigation, Somerton Man's identity remains a mystery (Part 2: DNA, isotopes, and autopsy)
June 3, 2015 by Lisa Zyga report

That's a fascinating case.
There was JD case here that I recall where they did ancestral DNA matching. I can't remember if it were Princess Doe, Beth Doe, or the JD found in the laundry bag from NJ. I think it was one of them. They traced her "relatives" to either VA or NC, but no one had heard of her when they inquired about her. I will have to see if I can dig that up.

It was Miss X JD from NJ, 1967 that had the ancestral DNA investigated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_X_(decedent)

Thanks, will try to read her WS thread when I have time

DE - New Castle Co., WhtFem UP7097, 16-25, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67

Delaware officials look to Trenton in attempt to solve 1967 cold case- By Alex Zdan - April 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM, updated April 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Though the blood had dried, Brown was able to take cells from it and found success in recovering DNA. By matching the information with genealogy websites, some of which were complete with genetic profiles put up by people seeking lost relatives, the medical examiner was able to contact relatives in Virginia and North Carolina on the mother’s side of Jane Doe’s family.

“They don’t know how they’re related, but they’re related biologically,” Brown said.
So far, the family members have been no help in securing an ID

I suggested it to the medical examiner a few months ago if they will do isotope testing for him..He said he was not aware of them planning on doing it for him.I emailed the Philadelphia homicide about a few days ago and asked him too.I have not heard back from him.

I suggested it to the medical examiner a few months ago if they will do isotope testing for him..He said he was not aware of them planning on doing it for him.I emailed the Philadelphia homicide about a few days ago and asked him too.I have not heard back from him.

It would be helpful to them to have that info. They can isotope test hair, teeth and bones, each can give a different region. The hair would be good to say where he was before he passed. If they have his clothing still, they can take pollen samples from it.

Bumped up for him. Has there been anything new on him? It makes me very sad for him. :hug:

Has there been any new updates on this little boy in the box? Can someone please find out?

Has there been any new updates on this little boy in the box? Can someone please find out?

You should call his LE. I work with Debora Sue Lowe's sister, she usually does LE phone calls since her sister is missing, LE click with her. You should advocate for him.

If I worked in the Philly police department, I would take whatever amount of money I could get - even $500 would be a start - and take out a Facebook ad targeting all U.S. adults ages 63+ asking, did know this child? Did you possibly witness this crime? It could be tricky because Facebook may not allow his post-mortem images in an ad, but I think they could work around it. It's frustrating because anyone who has firsthand info is getting older and older. If he's going to get his name back, we need a break soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merry Christmas sweet little boy.Your still in my prayers to find out who you are.:hug:

[FONT=&quot]There is NO DOUBT in my mind if they put this little boys DNA privacy issues or not into ANCESTRY.COMDNA and other DNA data bases they WILL find out who this little boy is.I found out through ancestry.com who my real father was with DNA and a little in[/FONT][FONT=&quot]vestigation work when no one could tell me who he was.I know they will find out who he is.I hope and pray they will find some way around these privacy issues and do this for him.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname