PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

The truck pic on Facebook is a bit over two years old, so I would caution about tying the suspect to a company that he may not even work for, and even if he does, it had no part or responsibility in the crime.

I do wonder if the arrested owns a red Jeep, and if it was what led LE to him initially. JMO

Good point, Amish tend to be socially isolated from other people.

Mennonites, however, can range from being near Amish in regards to social isolation to having near the same social contacts as everybody else.

I just can help but think that poor victim was Mennonite and not Amish. The house appears to have a double garage. Depending on the Mennonite congregation, the ability to own a work truck does mean alot of non work related driving.
I think that with all of the news reports stating that the family is Amish, there would have been a correction at some point within the past five days, were they not. JMO

Last edited:
I would think that with all of the news reports stating that the family is Amish, there would have been a correction at some point within the past five days, were they not. JMO
I agree. At the same time, there is a garage and what appears to be car / truck pulled trailer on the property.

The victim's family may not watch a whole lot of television. Thus, they might not be aware of the possible error. Or, they may not want to make a public correction of a possible error as Mennonites as a groups are not that interested in what others declare.

Likewise, Amish or Mennonite, it does not really matter in the end for the victim. Thus, it could be similar to a victim's family not wanting to correct say an accidently mis stated Baptist verse Pentecostal affiliation.

Last edited:
I think if she was Mennonite, and not Amish, we'd have seen an actual photograph of her by now.

The motive here could simply have been SA....maybe he was just driving by and saw her outside hanging laundry or something. And if there was no SA, maybe she convinced him not to because she's pregnant or because of children being in the home, but he had to make sure she couldn't ID him so he shot her.

I think if she was Mennonite, and not Amish, we'd have seen an actual photograph of her by now.

The motive here could simply have been SA....maybe he was just driving by and saw her outside hanging laundry or something. And if there was no SA, maybe she convinced him not to because she's pregnant or because of children being in the home, but he had to make sure she couldn't ID him so he shot her.
I sense that, in addition to having been shot, which has been confirmed now, there were also the reported cuts on her head and neck, which seems to indicate that she may have had time to fight off an attack. I sure hope she has her attacker's DNA under her nails, at least. JMO

Last edited:

15 March (Lower) Court Date

Defendant:
Shawn Christopher Cranston, M/52

Decedents: [Decendants]
Rebekah A. Byler, F/23
UnBorn Female Baby -
[Due May 2024]

https://www.psp.pa.gov/PIRRs/Corry Press Releases/E_CORR_02MAR2024_0555.pdf
&
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjCourtSummary?docketNumber=MJ-30306-CR-0000056-2024&dnh=s4CntwXaWoVCWfqtJTEnLQ==
See Also:
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/CaseSearch
https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjDocketSheet?docketNumber=MJ-30306-CR-0000056-2024&dnh=s4CntwXaWoVCWfqtJTEnLQ==
&

Previous 2009 Misdemeanor-Grade Sentencing:

Rebekah Byler - Shawn Cranston - Google Search

Capital Case = One with a Possible Death Penalty
Change of Venue = [VENN'-you] = Jurors Selected from, & Trial Held Outside of Crawford County
CP = (Upper) Court of Common Pleas
DA = District Attorney
DP = Death Penalty
"English" = Amish label for all-other non-Amish people
F = Felony-Grade Crime
F/23 = Female / Age 23
FWIW = For What It's Worth
Gestation = About 40 Weeks from Conception-to-Delivery
i.e. = id est = that-is
IMO = In My Opinion
IPP = Intermediate Punishment Program
Jeep™ = A Popular Sport Utility Vehicle
JMO = Just My Opinion
LE = Law Enforcement
LWOF = Life With-Out Parole
M = Misdemeanor-Grade Offense
M/52 = Male / Age 52
MDJ = (Lower) Magistrial District Judge Court
MOO = My Own Opinion
OMO = Only My Opinion
PD = Public Defender
PSP = Pennsylvania State Police - Incident 24-255133
R.I.P. = Rest In Peace - Condolences
S = Summary-Grade Citation
SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle
W/N/F 23 = White/Non-Hispanic/Female 23 Years Old
W/N/M 52 = White/Non-Hispanic/Male 52 Years Old

Our Salute to Law Enforcement for Their Rapid Results.

Last edited:

Titusville District Judge Amy Nicols arraigned Cranston at 4:24 a.m. Saturday and ordered him held without bond at the Crawford County Correctional Facility because he is charged with homicide, according to court records.

Nichols scheduled Cranston's preliminary hearing for March 15.

[snip]

State police did say that as part of the investigation, troopers searched Cranston's residence in Corry on Friday night and into Saturday morning. It was not known what investigators might have found at the residence.

A jeep was in the drive way and around the home.

Hmmm...... is she Amish or Mennonite?

A lot of times, the two groups get confused as conservative Mennonite congregations look pretty Amish like in regards to dress. Likewise, recreational car usage / ownership by conservative Mennonites can be "verboten". So some may not connect them much with cars.

That aside, a jeep and your possibility of an angry ex could imply the victim is conservative Mennonite car using, but not necessarily car extolling instead of Amish (horse buggies only).

As a side note, Amish converts do exist- though like with ultra Orthodox Jews, they tend to be rare. So... she could concievably be Amish and have an ex "in the world".
I think we can be confident that they are Amish. The police refer to them as Amish. The neighbors refer to them as Amish. The community business owners have referred to them as Amish. The dresses on the clothesline are solid color fabric, which Mennonites sometimes wear. but most Amish only wear that. The red Jeep is being referred to as extremely suspicious because everyone on that road is Amish. And the garage doors are doors only. There's no garage behind them, as it has been converted into living space. (I posted a link to a Realty.com page that has interior pics of the house.) The other comment about an angry ex is just a generalized comment.

The Meadville Tribune reported that the criminal complaint describes a red 2012 Jeep Patriot SUV as being a key piece of evidence in the case. A red Jeep was seen in the victim’s driveway and driving down the road, the newspaper reported.

Around 9 p.m. on March 1, “the Dollar General store in Corry had been shut down and a red Jeep there was the focus of state police investigators,” the newspaper noted.

On the criminal complaint filed against Cranston under "defendant vehicle information" (for Cranston) listed was a red 2012 Jeep Patriot SUV. However, "NO" is indicated on the complaint where "Reg(istration) same as Def(endant)."

The complaint does not indicate who is the registered owner of the SUV.

"The defendant did on or about 02/26/24 kill Rebekah Byler by shooting her in the head and/or slashing her throat," the complaint states for the charge related to Byler's death.

On the criminal complaint filed against Cranston under "defendant vehicle information" (for Cranston) listed was a red 2012 Jeep Patriot SUV. However, "NO" is indicated on the complaint where "Reg(istration) same as Def(endant)."

On Friday night, WICU-TV/WSEE-TV of Erie reported that around 9 p.m. the Dollar General store in Corry had been shut down and a red Jeep there was the focus of state police investigators, though police had no additional comment.

Good point, Amish tend to be socially isolated from other people.

Mennonites, however, can range from being near Amish in regards to social isolation to having near the same social contacts as everybody else.

The house appears to have a double garage. Depending on the Mennonite congregation, the ability to own a work truck does mean alot of non work related driving. Thus, they can be confused with Amish.

I just can help but think that poor victim was Mennonite and not Amish
All the news reports identify her as Amish.

IMO-this really was just a robbery gone very wrong. He or his wife could have been a driver for the famiy and possibly knows Amish drivers. I'm guessing his DNA was found somewhere though in the Byler house that they would be able to identify him and know that he was connected to the red jeep.Again all IMO.
I'm so thankful that there was an arrest. I honestly thought it would take alot more time.

1709408199842.jpeg
Cranston was arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Amy L. Nicols at 4:24 a.m. on March 2 and has been remanded to the Crawford County Prison after being denied bail per state law on the charges. The Judge also noted that if he is convicted he faces a "possible life sentence."

His preliminary hearing is scheduled before the same judge at 2 p.m. on March 15, his latest court docket shows.

Cranston has a criminal record for misdemeanors for reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct in 2009 serving 36 months of probation, according to his previous court docket.

It is unclear if tips led to Cranston's arrest, although PSP noted to the press that they tracked a red 2012 Jeep Patriot SUV which led them to him and multiple Daily Voice readers told us they saw a red Jeep in the area.

Shawn Christopher Cranston

Mugshot of Shawn Christopher Cranston (Crawford County Prison)

shawn cranston

Crawford Co JailShawn Cranston booking sheet.
According to the press release, the victim’s manner of death “was ruled a homicide.”

On February 26 at about 12:26 p.m., Pennsylvania police were notified “of a deceased female at a residence located on Fish Flats Road,” the release says. There was some confusion about the cause of death and the nature of Byler’s wounds.

Byler had gunshot wounds, according to an initial report by CBS News. CBS News reported that Byler also “suffered cutting wounds to her neck and head.”

Jennifer Borrasso, a local journalist, wrote on X, “Shawn C. Cranston of Corry, Pa charged in the death of PREGNANT AMISH WOMAN, Rebekah Byler, her unborn child after breaking into her home Mon, says Pa state police release. I’m told Byler had a gunshot wound & cut to her neck. Her two children, 2 & 3 home at the time.”

shawn cranston

PA courtsShawn Cranston docket.
*it’s confusing about where the cuts were and conflicting reporting about the gunshots

Home invasion on the Amish? What is there valuable enough to consider such a thing? I think it's more than that. He was there for a reason and it wasn't to steal.

Burglary doesn't constitute theft. Burglary is entering a place to commit a crime, any crime.

JMO
Some of them do keep large amounts of cash in their homes, because they may not trust banks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mishelita9306
Back