Found Deceased PA - Thomas Hughes, 25, Pittsburgh/Beechview, 23 Jan 2021

mlhenn

Reaction score
Police seek help finding missing Beechview man

upload_2021-1-24_18-40-47.jpeg

Pittsburgh police are asking for the public’s help in locating 25-year old Thomas Hughes.

The Beechview resident was last seen Saturday around 11 p.m. wearing a black T-shirt, dark blue jeans, black boots and a black Carhart jacket. Mr. Hughes is 6-foot-1, about 260 pounds and has blonde hair and blue eyes.

Police also say he could be driving a 2012 Volkswagen Routan.

Anyone with information should call the Special Victims Unit at 412-323-7141.

Google™ Supplements & Updates:
Thomas Hughes, 25 - Beechview, PA - Google Search

Stock Photo of possibly-similar Volkswagen:

volkswagen-routan-2012-032-8040-3700-768.jpg

Last edited:
The vehicle was found at the entrance to a trail, with the keys still in the ignition. This doesn't sound good.

Pittsburgh police looking for missing 25-year-old man

It was at the entrance of the Three Rivers Heritage Trail on the South Side where the family said they made a discovery.

“She was right there and seen it. She said, ‘Oh my god. That’s the van.’ Pulled over. And the key was in the ignition, but my brother is nowhere to be found. His phone has been dead since 7 or 8 this morning,” said Thomas Hughes’ sister Alexis Hughes.

Police blocked off part of 18th Street while investigators searched Thomas Hughes’ Volkswagen van and the surrounding area for clues.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that the family that noticed that he was missing did not hesitate to report it to LE and began searching for him immediately. With the keys to the vehicle found in the ignition, it could have disappeared pretty quickly.

For being in the middle of a popular outskirt of Pittsburgh, the area they found his vehicle is very remote. Empty lot, train tracks, a long road to a park, and a hill side leading to the water.

It seems to be a pretty popular/busy area during the day in warmer seasons. I'm curious how it is this time of year. Is it a popular hangout later at night or completely deserted?

It seems to be a pretty popular/busy area during the day in warmer seasons. I'm curious how it is this time of year. Is it a popular hangout later at night or completely deserted?
The main street “Carson street” is full of bars but they aren’t getting a lot of business since covid. The location of the van is at least 6 or so blocks from the main drag. One of the only grocery is very close to that location though.

It is a trendy area with a mix of high-end renovated housing next to bars, restaurants, and quirky shops. The weekends can get a little crazy with a lot of college students between 12th and 19th Streets, but the upper streets around the South Side Works are geared more towards young professionals.

Currently with COVID, there are capacity restrictions. Bars are supposed to require food be served if ordering alcohol and have last call at 11 pm. Patrons are to be out of there by 12 am.

On a cold Saturday night in winter, young people would be looking for something to do, and the area would still be relatively busy. Also, many Pitt students returned last weekend for spring semester.

The area by the Heritage trail next to the river is a few short blocks away from the major street - E Carson. People may park back there and walk to the bars, but it can be pretty desolate at night.

It is a trendy area with a mix of high-end renovated housing next to bars, restaurants, and quirky shops. The weekends can get a little crazy with a lot of college students between 12th and 19th Streets, but the upper streets around the South Side Works are geared more towards young professionals.

Currently with COVID, there are capacity restrictions. Bars are supposed to require food be served if ordering alcohol and have last call at 11 pm. Patrons are to be out of there by 12 am.

On a cold Saturday night in winter, young people would be looking for something to do, and the area would still be relatively busy. Also, many Pitt students returned last weekend for spring semester.

The area by the Heritage trail next to the river is a few short blocks away from the major street - E Carson. People may park back there and walk to the bars, but it can be pretty desolate at night.

Your description and information on the area is very helpful. It seems that most everything in the area would be closed or closing up before he arrived.

Why was he there??

If he left the home around 11PM as has been reported, which seems to align with "last call" at the nearby bars, maybe he was asked for a ride from someone that knew he was in town.

Your description and information on the area is very helpful. It seems that most everything in the area would be closed or closing up before he arrived.

Why was he there??

If he left the home around 11PM as has been reported, which seems to align with "last call" at the nearby bars, maybe he was asked for a ride from someone that knew he was in town.

Yes, the area bars should have been closing at that time. Even the nearby Giant Eagle grocery on Wharton closed at 10 pm.

I learned of this case via FB, and looked here to see if there was a thread. His family member is a casual friend of mine who posted the missing person flier. The SVU involvement is quite concerning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back