PA PA - Toni McNatt-Chiappetta, 14, Clairton, 5 Nov 1981

Confused as to why there was a wet blouse in the basement and why that information was withheld by the mother?
Has the band jacket ever been located, or was it left at home?
From link.. rbbm.
''In 1989, Scully returned to Clairton as public safety director — the police department had been disbanded in 1985 for budgetary reasons — and he got a call from Toni’s mother, Audrey McNatt. She admitted to withholding information in 1981.

McNatt told Scully she had discovered Toni’s wet blouse in the basement the night of her disappearance, which meant she had been home.

“I don’t think it was planned, but I think something happened at the home that night,” Scully said.

McNatt died in 2006.''

Last edited:
Confused as to why there was a wet blouse in the basement and why that information was withheld from the mother?
Has the band jacket ever been located, or was it left at home?
From link.. rbbm.
''In 1989, Scully returned to Clairton as public safety director — the police department had been disbanded in 1985 for budgetary reasons — and he got a call from Toni’s mother, Audrey McNatt. She admitted to withholding information in 1981.

McNatt told Scully she had discovered Toni’s wet blouse in the basement the night of her disappearance, which meant she had been home.

“I don’t think it was planned, but I think something happened at the home that night,” Scully said.

McNatt died in 2006.''

Sounds like the step father to me. I wish they would dig up the porch where they lived.

Toni Lynn McNatt-Chiappetta
mcnatt-chiappetta_toni.jpg
mcnatt-chiappetta_toni3.jpg
toni_lynn_mcnatt-chiappetta_4.jpg
mcnatt_toni3.png
toni_lynn_mcnatt-chiappetta_5.jpg

Toni, circa 1981; Age-progression to age 48 (circa 2015)

• Missing Since 11/05/1981
  • Missing From Clairton, Pennsylvania
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/31/1967 (53)
  • Age 14 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2, 105 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A black jacket with "Clairton Band" imprinted on the back, "Toni" imprinted on the front in white letters, and orange trim around the waist and cuffs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes. Toni has a mole on the left side of her neck, and her ears are pierced. Many agencies refer to her as Toni Lynn McNatt.
Details of Disappearance

Toni left her family's residence in the 900 block of Van Kirk Street in Clairton, Pennsylvania on November 5, 1981. She was headed to a pep rally at her high school, which was located about two blocks from her home. Toni was last seen walking on Miller Avenue and Mitchell Avenue, across the street from the bar where hr mother worked, at approximately 7:15 p.m. She never arrived at the rally and has not been seen again.

The police initially believed Toni ran away, but they began to consider other theories after days passed without contact. Toni's mother never believed her daughter ran away from home; she stated it wasn't in her personality. Her mother described her as a tomboy.

She was a ninth-grader at Clairton High School in 1981, an average student. She volunteered at her church and baby-sat, and she enjoyed baton twirling, swimming and dancing. Toni was described as a responsible teenager and not rebellious.

Toni's father, Sam Chiappetta, is considered a possible suspect in her case. There were several incidents of domestic violence within the home, and investigators believe Sam was abusing Toni and/or her sisters. Prior to her disappearance Toni had wanted to stay away from the house and even lived with her grandmother for a short time during August and September 1981. Chiappetta failed a polygraph test about his daughter's disappearance.

In April 1982, Toni's mother, Audrey, admitted she had concealed information about Toni's disappearance from law enforcement: when she came home the night Toni vanished, the blouse Toni had been wearing when she went to school that day was hanging on the basement laundry line, dripping wet. This strongly indicates that Toni did arrive home from school that evening. Audrey said she didn't tell police about the blouse before because she was afraid of Sam.

Both of Toni's parents are now deceased, but her sister is still alive and hopes she will be found. Her disappearance remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency
  • Pennsylvania State Police 412-929-6262
Source Information

Toni's NamUs profile has been modified on 4/4/22
She currently has 12 rule outs listed.The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UP6279 12/18/1996 Fairfax VA
UP15630 07/03/1984 Cuyahoga OH
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP6642 08/07/1986 Chesterfield VA
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA
UP1513 07/15/1982 Warren NJ
UP6485 02/11/1982 Prince William VA
UP8427 07/17/1982 Washoe NV

I still think the step father had something to do with her disappearance. They need to dig up where he poured concrete shortly after her disappearance.

Keystone Cold Cases released an episode about Toni's disappearance.

Episode #79: Toni McNatt-Chiappetta - Missing (1981)​

Toni left her friend's house around 5:30pm on Thursday, November 5, 1981 to meet her date for the pep rally that night. When she was over 15 minutes late, her date thought she must have gone ahead without him. But, Toni was nowhere to be found. Nobody in Clairton, PA would have guessed that over 40 years later, we still wouldn't have evidence to determine what happened or where she went.

51a2d2_9ce62fecfda84b9f952cdf5ee576c90c~mv2.jpg

TONI MCNATT-CHIAPPETTA​

Birth: 5/31/1967 - Death: Unknown​

Ethnicity: Caucasian - Sex: Female​

Height: 5'2" - Weight: 105 lbs​

Hair Color: Strawberry blonde - Eye Color: Green​

Other: Was wearing jeans and a black jacket with “Clairton Band” on the back, ”Toni” on the front, and orange trim. She has light freckles across her face and a scar on the left side of her stomach. She has one mole on the right front of her nose and one mole on the left side of her neck and pierced ears.​

Hometown: Clairton, PA - Allegheny County​

Crime Scene: Unknown​

Last Known Location Alive: Approximately 7:00 PM on November 5, 1981 in her hometown of Clairton, Pennsylvania. She was enroute to a rally at her school and was last seen on Miller and Mitchell Avenues​

To me, a mother staying with a man who abuses her child is more of a betrayal than even what the abuser did. The mother must protect her son from her when she stays with the man; It's a betrayal because she is essentially choosing the man over her child.... If a woman stays in an abusive relationship that's fine, but if that abuse happens to the child, I don't care about all the excuses in the world. . There is none.....I can get over the abuse, but your mother's betrayal. You never get over that.
she was such a pretty girl murdered... I hope she didn't suffer so much in her final moment...
rest in peace

It was 42 years ago today that Toni disappeared. My father was from Clairton. He never mentioned it as he was just a bit younger than Toni’s mother and long out of the area by then. His stepmother died in the late ‘80s and, though I was young, I remember the process of selling the house that he grew up in. It wasn’t too, too far from where Toni had lived. If you view her house on street view and go to the street/alley behind, you can see the concrete back porch. It’s small.

It was 42 years ago today that Toni disappeared. My father was from Clairton. He never mentioned it as he was just a bit younger than Toni’s mother and long out of the area by then. His stepmother died in the late ‘80s and, though I was young, I remember the process of selling the house that he grew up in. It wasn’t too, too far from where Toni had lived. If you view her house on street view and go to the street/alley behind, you can see the concrete back porch. It’s small.
My husband works at US Steel and drives thru Clairton to get to the mill daily. I would love to know what happened to Toni and I wish they would see if anything is under that back porch.

I just read that the mother admitted, after some time, that she came home and found the blouse that Toni had worn that day, hanging in the basement, soaking wet. She did not tell police right away as she feared Sam Chiappetta. He also failed his lie detector test. I think that tells the whole story right there--poor little Toni. Too bad he is dead and can never be arrested for this, or his sexual abuse of the sister after Toni died. What a horrible man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back