Found Deceased PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 *Evelyn Colon* *Arrest* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Exclusions
-- Annastaes Banitskas -- -- --
MP20111 Iris Brown 03/15/1976 Chittenden VT
MP8048 Valarie Cuccia 05/04/1974 Kings NY
MP6061 Teresa Fittin 08/01/1975 Broward FL
MP6061 Teresa Fittin 08/01/1975 Broward FL
MP4524 Trenny Gibson 10/08/1976 Swain NC
MP26809 Rory Kesinger 05/27/1973 Plymouth MA
MP13801 Anna Leatherwood 05/20/1966 Sevier TN
MP1295 Georgia Nolan 11/25/1976 Harlan KY
MP6579 Sherry Roach 06/08/1976 San Mateo CA
MP26000 Mary Robinson 06/10/1976 Monroe NY
MP7040 Patricia Seelbaugh 10/26/1973 Mercer PA
MP5533 Denise Sheehy 07/07/1970 Queens NY

Been thinking about this case lately. She was looking so forward to becoming a mother and that opportunity was taken away from her. I know she's going to get identified one day and hopefully her killer is still alive so he/she can pay for what they did.

Not sure if this has been talked about before, but if the DNA analysis is correct and she did originate from Europe, wouldn't it be very likely that she has a very foreign sounding name? I don't imagine this girl having a common name that you would hear in the US.

Not sure if this has been talked about before, but if the DNA analysis is correct and she did originate from Europe, wouldn't it be very likely that she has a very foreign sounding name? I don't imagine this girl having a common name that you would hear in the US.

I would guess so. I'm personally not totally sure that the isotope tests are totally reliable, but they are really all we have to go on.

On the topic of DNA analysis, if Beth Doe was really conventionally raped, I'm hoping that any DNA that could have been present from the attack can be used to find her killer. We've recently seen identifications of two fairly-popular former UIDs (Anita Piteau and Wanda Kirkum) that were able to be made due to similar technologies.

Also, if they did really have DNA for both the baby and the killer, wouldn't it be possible for them to do a paternity test to establish a potential link between the two? Of course, DNA testing is expensive, but given the circumstances, I would think that they would try to look into that possibility if doing so were possible.

I personally think that there's an extremely slim but nonzero chance that they could have already done a test but are withholding the results to the public so as to not compromise the investigation. For what it is worth, there appear to be several other details about this case that appear to have been previously withheld (such as the fact that Beth was sexually assaulted and the fact that the killer might have chopped off her hair) that have slowly trickled out into the public sphere over the years, so there could be a lot more known about the case than what can be discovered online.

Hmm..The US has a fair amount of Central European immigrants? Her name could be something completely common in many countries, like variations of "Anna", "Hanna" or "Sophia" ?

I don’t have any details, but Colleen Fitzpatrick (formerly of DNA Doe Project) commented in a FB group that NCMEC told her Beth is being worked on. I have no other info - like who is working her case, etc, but hopefully we’ll see movement soon.

In that part of Pennsylvania and on up to New York, and westward to the Detroit area, central European names and ancestry are quite common. Also if it's her mother or grandmother who came from central Europe, perhaps married an American serviceman, her name might be Jane Smith.

In that part of Pennsylvania and on up to New York, and westward to the Detroit area, central European names and ancestry are quite common. Also if it's her mother or grandmother who came from central Europe, perhaps married an American serviceman, her name might be Jane Smith.
Yes, this is so true. When my Czech / Slovakian people immigrated, they landed just north of Pittsburgh in a town that had Slovakian schools, business, etc. They migrated over near Cleveland too. I’ve found a ton of relatives in that area by doing my DNA.

Yes, this is so true. When my Czech / Slovakian people immigrated, they landed just north of Pittsburgh in a town that had Slovakian schools, business, etc. They migrated over near Cleveland too. I’ve found a ton of relatives in that area by doing my DNA.

Yeah, exactly. My grandmother's Bohemian family came in through Baltimore and moved on to Chicago, North Dakota, and eventually Montana, but most of the people they emigrated went into PA for the mines or the steel mills. But she married a very Anglo dude and we have a very Anglo name.

So it seems like Beth could be anything from an immigrant isolated in an abusive family to a military brat to an average American of mixed immigrant ancestry.

I was thinking military child myself. That could definitely throw people off when looking for potential matches.

Even if her immediate family were truly native to another country, I think that Beth may have seemed "American" enough in life to the point where those who knew her may not be fully aware of her ethnic background or her country of origin, especially if she was not on good terms with her relatives. Also, like I've previously said on this thread, since it's believed that Beth came to the States as a child, I think that it's very possible that she did not have a noticeable accent when speaking English and that she might not even know the her family's native language all too well.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Exclusions

I’m sorry if I missed it, but does anyone know how Mary Robinson was ruled out?

I previously read her (Robinson’s) dental records were destroyed after her dentist passed away, and she had no fingerprints nor DNA listed as available on her NamUs page.

Robinson’s thread here: NY - NY - Mary Robinson, 23, Rochester, 10 June 1976

I previously read her (Robinson’s) dental records were destroyed after her dentist passed away, and she had no fingerprints nor DNA listed as available on her NamUs page.

The first post in Mary's thread says DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway. The post is from 2014. I'm thinking that in the intervening 6 years, DNA analysis was completed and is available for Mary. This is most likely how she was ruled out as Beth Doe since rule outs on NamUs that are viewable to the public are only those ruled out via biometric info (dna, dentals or fingerprints).

Depending on what her dental characteristics were, it might not take complete dental records to exclude her. For instance, and I don't know whether this is true, if the missing person has their wisdom teeth removed, but the unidentified person still has theirs, you know it can't be the same person.

Since her name is on the list twice, I would guess that she was ruled out on dentals, and that was confirmed by DNA later. But that's just a guess.

I'm new to following this case. What a horrific crime. I listened to Trace Evidence's podcast on it yesterday and started reading more about it & going through the old threads here. I'm grew up in the Scranton/WB area and take a special interest in crimes and missing persons from the NEPA area. I really hope Beth can get her name back one day so she and her baby can be buried properly.

@CCJD, do you know if they have any plans to pursue DNA identification?

UPDATES from PSP:
Status of genetic genealogy: Beth Doe's dna has been sent to a lab that specializes in old/degraded DNA. Yes, Beth Doe's dna is degraded so the question of her dna being submitted for genetic genealogy (to Parabon, DDP or whoever) all hinges on IF the lab is able to produce suitable DNA. It will likely be at least a couple of months before results are in. Say some prayers, keep your fingers crossed - let's hope the lab is successful.

I also asked if it were possible to try to retrieve the killer's dna from the suitcases. This has already been attempted with negative results.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XenaB1219
Back