Paglia: Duck Dynasty uproar ‘utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people who agree with his statements about gays also agree with his statements about blacks? Just wondering.

I live in Minnesota, and I voted against the amendment to ban gay marriage, which then led to our leaders to allow gay marriage in our state. I am very proud to be among "the first" states to view it as a civil rights issue.

If Phil eats pork and shellfish, then he is going to hell...according to his own views on the bible. Just saying. ;)

ETA: Uganda just passed the "Kill the gays" bill. They took the execution part out...now it's "just" life in prison. I found the legislator's comments interesting: “Because we are a God-fearing nation, we value life in a holistic way. It is because of those values that members of Parliament passed this bill regardless of what the outside world thinks.”

The food has nothing to do with going to hell.. So that is silly..

I don't think this is about being Gay. This is about a man's right to say what he thinks and not be persecuted for it. He does not hate anyone.

He is not running a country, He is not ruling from a pulpuit.. Just a good backwoods boy who shoots from the hip. He sees things from his small view. He is not a man of the world, his words show that.

I think it's great every time one of these bigots is exposed on a national scale!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh: Casual racism and bigotry should be called out whenever possible. And the fact that they always try to hide behind religion has grown so tiresome….

Doesn't it seem odd that those who shout, "Be tolerant! Intolerance is bad!" are horribly intolerant to anyone who does not share their views? Kind of like a big, honking oxymoron.

Doesn't it seem odd that those who shout, "Be tolerant! Intolerance is bad!" are horribly intolerant to anyone who does not share their views? Kind of like a big, honking oxymoron.

I don't think he is being intolerant. He is just saying what works for him and doesn't. He is not hating anyone who thinks differently or abusing them.

I don't think people would be supporting a non-government company (privately owned) with statements like "they have a right to fire him" if the viewpoint/circumstance was reversed.

Let's say a worker's opinion is "it's ok to be gay" and the privately owned company fired that worker for not having same viewpoint of the owner which is "no it's not ok to be gay" - would the phrase "they have a right to fire him" still hold true?

I'm not sure - but aren't there laws against firing people who prefer to have sex with the same gender (gay/lesbian). But now it's ok to fire people who prefer sex with the opposite gender (heterosexual). Since when did who you want to have sex with determine employment.

Sexual preference should not be an issue - it's a personal choice, and should be kept that way, personal and behind closed doors. My opinion and all that....

I don't think people would be supporting a non-government company (privately owned) with statements like "they have a right to fire him" if the viewpoint/circumstance was reversed.

Let's say a worker's opinion is "it's ok to be gay" and the privately owned company fired that worker for not having same viewpoint of the owner which is "no it's not ok to be gay" - would the phrase "they have a right to fire him" still hold true?

I'm not sure - but aren't there laws against firing people who prefer to have sex with the same gender (gay/lesbian). But now it's ok to fire people who prefer sex with the opposite gender (heterosexual). Since when did who you want to have sex with determine employment.

Sexual preference should not be an issue - it's a personal choice, and should be kept that way, personal and behind closed doors. My opinion and all that....

BBM

Unfortunately Phil did not keep it behind closed doors. He put it out there for all to see. It is possible to not answer a question. He decided that it was ok for him to make the response he did. A&E decided that it was ok for them to suspend him because of his actions. Free speech was not infringed on. Phil's 1st amendment was not infringed on. However he perhaps learned a valuable lesson, think before you speak especially when you are earning a paycheck from a company that is paying you for your image.

MOO

I don't see anything he said in the article as hateful, homophobic or ugly. He spoke his beliefs and his perceptions from his experiences in life.
Instead of people attacking and crying bigotry, hate speech, how about we use intelligent conversation and understanding. If speaking with children or even other adults- "Mr Robertson's religious beliefs include believing homosexuality is a sin. What do you think of that? Is that what our religion believes? Is that what you believe? Mr Robertson said, it is not our place to judge, that God will. Do you think we should judge people by who they love? Do you think we should treat homosexuals differently? Do you think we should treat people differently because they have different religious beliefs? Should we do our best to treat everyone as we would like to be treated? Do you think we should silence people who do not agree with us?" JMO. I would type more but heading to dinner ;)

I just so disagree with this post.

The Robertson's poke fun at themselves. I do not think he seriously meant 'white trash' in the literal sense of the word, because they weren't. I personally don't think anyone is trash. I also do not like the word 'redneck'.

People just might be surprised at us Louisiana 'rednecks'.

I need a break, lol.

:seeya:

I think he is very proud of being a redneck, white trash or whatever because it has made himself a boat load of money.

I think it's great every time one of these bigots is exposed on a national scale!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh: Casual racism and bigotry should be called out whenever possible. And the fact that they always try to hide behind religion has grown so tiresome….

I totally agree.

The food has nothing to do with going to hell.. So that is silly..

I don't think this is about being Gay. This is about a man's right to say what he thinks and not be persecuted for it. He does not hate anyone.

He is not running a country, He is not ruling from a pulpuit.. Just a good backwoods boy who shoots from the hip. He sees things from his small view. He is not a man of the world, his words show that.

A&E has sponsors , this is why he was fired, its not really a first admendment issue with them. I heard a little rumor that he wanted out anyhow, bad exit but who knows.......

I totally agree.

Me too!I dont understand how you can be christian and judge like that defeats the purpose to me. there are those who say well God has already judged and I am just following his word (really did he tell you that over coffee?)

BBM

Unfortunately Phil did not keep it behind closed doors. He put it out there for all to see. It is possible to not answer a question. He decided that it was ok for him to make the response he did. A&E decided that it was ok for them to suspend him because of his actions. Free speech was not infringed on. Phil's 1st amendment was not infringed on. However he perhaps learned a valuable lesson, think before you speak especially when you are earning a paycheck from a company that is paying you for your image.

MOO

I think he put the words out there that A&E were refusing to air. Of course free speech was not infringed upon. He did say the words, nobody censored him.

It's also fair to assume that A&E needs the series more than the family does. Duck Dynasty is A&E's highest-rated show of all time, and has put the cable network on the map. It is the second-biggest cable series of the year, behind AMC's The Walking Dead, and the Christmas special pulled in nearly 9 million viewers.

http://www.eonline.com/news/492909/duck-dynasty-family-very-serious-about-leaving-the-show

http://www.accesshollywood.com/should-duck-dynasty-go-on-without-phil-robertson_poll_4792/results
83% say the show should not go on without phil.

'Duck Dynasty': New episodes will include Phil

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/20/duck-dynasty-return-phil/

Regardless of the current controversy and behind-the-scenes tension, A&E has every intention of keeping Phil Robertson on the air.

Me too!I dont understand how you can be christian and judge like that defeats the purpose to me. there are those who say well God has already judged and I am just following his word (really did he tell you that over coffee?)

There are true Christians and then there are those who profess to be but it is only a mask.

I was under the impression that freedom of speech had to do with citizens being about to speak up/out about the government without being silenced. idk jmo I don't think it means that people can say what ever or whatnot. jmo idk

First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that comprise the Bill of Rights.

A piece by TaNehisi Coates at the Atlantic, on this issue, and why what Robertson said is problematic, and more than "just voicing his beliefs". I encourage all to read it - Coates is an excellent writer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/phil-robertsons-america/282555/

Couple of quotes From the piece:

The black people who Phil Robertson knew were warred upon. If they valued their lives, and the lives of their families, the last thing they would have done was voiced a complaint about "white people" to a man like Robertson.

The belief that black people were at their best when they were being hunted down like dogs for the sin of insisting on citizenship is a persistent strain of thought in this country. This belief reflects the inability to cope with an America that is, at least rhetorically, committed to equality. One can clearly see the line from this kind of thinking to a rejection of the civil-rights movement of our age:

this is NOT a religious debate, so please don't take it out of text. I believe any one has the right to live the way they want to live. We only have one judge. As far as the meat goes?
Do not eat any detestable thing...you may not eat the camel, the rabbit or the coney. Although they chew the cud, they do not have a split hoof; they are ceremonially unclean for you. The pig is also unclean...Anything that does not have fins and scales you may not eat; for you it is unclean. "Deuteronomy 14:3, 7-8, 10 (Dt 14:3-21; also Lev 11)

This is an Old Testament rule, probably done for reasons of food safety at the time....but of course still observed by many. Jesus said in the New Testament that no food was unclean; that nothing going into your body could make you unclean.

Romans 13, 14 and 15.
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

The old testament is basically used for references. We are now living under the New testament.

< Proud Hillbilly. :)

It's also fair to assume that A&E needs the series more than the family does. Duck Dynasty is A&E's highest-rated show of all time, and has put the cable network on the map. It is the second-biggest cable series of the year, behind AMC's The Walking Dead, and the Christmas special pulled in nearly 9 million viewers.

http://www.eonline.com/news/492909/duck-dynasty-family-very-serious-about-leaving-the-show

http://www.accesshollywood.com/should-duck-dynasty-go-on-without-phil-robertson_poll_4792/results
83% say the show should not go on without phil.

'Duck Dynasty': New episodes will include Phil

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/20/duck-dynasty-return-phil/

Regardless of the current controversy and behind-the-scenes tension, A&E has every intention of keeping Phil Robertson on the air.

I doubt that happens because A&E is 50% owned by Disney/ABC...very pro gay and Robertson' words were offensive not only to gays but also to blacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53