Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sue Paterno, wife of former head football coach Joe Paterno, was indeed told to leave a Penn State campus pool recently, according to a source close to the family.
The story created online chatter about the Penn State Natatorium's holiday schedule. When university spokesman Bill Mahon said Thursday that Sue Paterno was not turned away from the Natatorium - because the facility is closed for Thanksgiving - it created the impression that The Patriot-News' original story was wrong.
Our story was correct. Sue Paterno never even went to the Natatorium. She always works out at the football building's pool and that is the pool she was asked to leave.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...terno_wor.html

Bill Mahon did NOT post a statement that the pools were closed. ROFL This was uncovered right here on this thread on Websleuths. The original story stated that a university spokesman was not aware of any directive on this (Sue swimming in the pool) and that Joe Paterno still held tenure. Half a day later, Sara changed that story and wrote, "Uh.... yeah. I knew the pools were closed....uh...uh....Sue Paterno was trying to swim at the football players' facility. Yeah...that's the ticket." She then changed her source to "Intercollegiate Athletics" (includes 10,000 kids). ROFL

I would be willing to bet all of my leftover pecan pie that the athletic facility pool was also closed during Thanksgiving break too. LOL

<modsnip>

<modsnip>That info was already out there.

Secondly, the football facilites were certainly open over Thanksgiving break. Penn State has a HUGE game this weekend against Wisconsin for a berth in the Big 10 Championship Game, so the team was practicing, even on Thanksgiving Day.

Penn State began its day with meetings, followed by a 75-minute workout without pads. They have Thursday night open, then more meetings on Friday before they fly to Wisconsin. Kickoff on Saturday in Camp Randall Stadium is at 3:30 p.m.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/co...ving-dinner-with-teammates-and-guests-943203/

<modsnip>.

BBM Well, if they do have a pool behind their modest house, I guarantee you she ain't using it these days. It's COLD in PA. I don't know the point of your stating that in the first place.

And truly, if it's not a really good sized lap pool, a serious swimmer needs an Olympic sized pool for workouts. mo

<modsnip> That info that was already out there.

Secondly, the football facilites were certainly open over Thanksgiving break. Penn State has a HUGE game this weekend against Wisconsin for a berth in the Big 10 Championship Game, so the team was practicing, even on Thanksgiving Day.

<modsnip>.
<modsnip>

Sara Ganim's latest spin is that Sue Pa was turned away from trying to swim at the Lasch building. According to the site below, the Lasch building doesn't have a swimming pool. ROFL The Lasch building has a WHIRLPOOL. I can see an elderly person desiring to use the whirlpool for their arthritis, but this doesn't make a very exciting story and would have generated sympathy for Sue Pa instead of resentment or anger.

When people make a mistake it is healthier to say, "You are right. I am wrong" and adjust their self-esteem accordingly. Instead of doing this, Sara just spins different stories trying to cover her first mistake. She is digging herself a hole over this story's incorrect statements and angry people are climbing in after her. Read the comments under the many variations of her story at Penn Live.

http://www.gopsusports.com/facilities/lasch-building.html

The story created online chatter about the Penn State Natatorium's holiday schedule. When university spokesman Bill Mahon said Thursday that Sue Paterno was not turned away from the Natatorium - because the facility is closed for Thanksgiving - it created the impression that The Patriot-News' original story was wrong.

Our story was correct. Sue Paterno never even went to the Natatorium. She always works out at the football building's pool and that is the pool she was asked to leave.

Now, the Paternos are talking with Intercollegiate Athletics about their ability to continue using the pool and other facilities in the Lasch football building, Mahon said. Discussions are underway to work out those details.*
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_and_sue_paterno_wor.html

ROFL I wanted to post under the comment section that the &#8220;footbal building&#8221;/Lasch Building doesn&#8217;t have a pool, but Penn Live just closed the
comments.

I hope Sara will go dig around Mill Hall, Pa and determine if there could be other victims. Coach Turchetta and Principal Probst were not at all helpful to that victim that ended dropping out of high school. They may have not been helpful to other kids that Sandusky raped or molested. (She should not expose details which identify specific victims.)

Another good story for Sara would be for her to find out who was on the committee which recommended the $3 million grant to Second Mile to build a huge building with 100 beds. (Gov. Corbett signed it, but it was revoked.) One hundred beds? I can't understand how Second Mile justified the need for beds. Second Mile operated camps in the summer at Penn State, but they could rent the dorms from Penn State like all the other sport camps that are held there every summer. This campus has over 15,000 freshman dorms. Also, who was on the Second Mile committee that approved of the plan for 100 beds? Were Sandusky and Raykovitz on that committee?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...google_editors_picks=true#articleTabs=article

Ex-Penn State Officials' Defense Strategy: Focus On McQueary Credibility

...........The lawyers point out that they believe Mr. Paterno's testimony matches that of their clients. "All of them testified that Mr. McQueary did not tell any of them that he witnessed anal sodomy on March 1, 2002."

They also ask in the letter whether any of the possible victims admitted being with Mr. Sandusky on March 1, 2002 but denied any sodomy. If that victim "denies any sodomy, that is powerful exculpatory evidence. Indeed, it should be the end of the case against Messrs. Curley and Schultz. Please produce such information forthwith."

The letter also points out that Mr. McQueary reportedly socialized with Mr. Sandusky after March 1. "Most people do not socialize with individuals they believe to be child-rapists," they write.
---------

However, Mr. Oliver says the case against Mr. Sandusky should still be strong if lawyers for Messrs. Curley and Schultz are able to poke holes in Mr. McQueary's testimony: "It's not one incident. It's a bunch of people making the same claim, so you still have a good case, and it suggests prosecutors were probably right to wait for more victims to come forward."

Kudos to the AG's office and prosecutors for getting enough evidence to make a strong case!

Another interesting story for Sara would be for her to find out the turnover rate of the Board of Trustees at Second Mile. We know that the CEO Raykovitz was there for 28 years, but were other trustees also there that long? If there was turnover, perhaps a board member would agree to be interviewed about why they left. It would be fascinating to know if all the expenses were presented to the board members at meetings or if the finance director presented a very short report without any details/facts. Why did no one suspect Sandusky if he was using Second Mile's money to wine and dine his victims? Who was supposed to be overseeing the expense accounts?

Patriot-News Special Report: The Second Mile and Penn State: Charity and university's fates were tied together

BY DONALD GILLILAND, JEFF FRANTZ AND SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/patriot-news_special_report_th.html

The Penn State Nittany Lion mascot wore a Second Mile T-shirt.

There’s no more striking image of the bond that existed between the university and the kid’s charity founded by Jerry Sandusky.

The charity was one of President George H. W. Bush’s "Thousand Points of Light." Now, its founder faces massive charges of child sexual abuse in a scandal that decimated the leadership and reputation of Penn State.

Gov. Tom Corbett has said the attorney general’s investigation is now looking at what The Second Mile did — or didn’t do.

The Second Mile and Penn State were locked in an embrace so tight that the fate of one inevitably impacts the other.

The charity basked in the imprimatur of Penn State. Sandusky ran it at the same time he was the Nittany Lions’ greatest defensive coach. Joe Paterno served as master of ceremonies at its biggest fundraiser. Penn State players helped with fundraising.

Much more at link....

Has anybody managed to keep track of how many boys have come forward to report abuse by this monster?

Sorry, I just really do not care about Penn State or college football or any of extraneous politics behind this story, so I am having trouble keeping up on the real news. Has Sandusky been convicted? Have all of the people who covered for him and enabled him been charged/arrested/convicted and how many victims have come forward?

I hope that everyone of his victims comes forward so he rots in prison for a long, long time. The same goes for anybody who covered up the crime. I also hope that the "status" of college football is cut down a few notches as well.

The Lasch Building does have a pool, a HydroWorx 750 series.

Scroll down at the following link and you will see that The Lasch Building’s unit may not be Olympic sized, but is a POOL, nonetheless. Although small, it may be all that a frail 80 something year old lady needs or can handle.

LaschPool.jpg

http://www.hydroworx.com/why-hydroworx/customer-profiles/details.aspx?id=2&categoryId=1

Ganim stated that she was told by a "person close to the Paterno family" that Mrs. Paterno was denied the exercise privilege; so one can either view it as a strike against PSU for tossing Sue, or against the Paterno family and their adherents - for having leaked this, true or false, to a reporter, as a way of, perhaps, generating Paterno sympathy at the expense of the university. Ganim's work on this case has been uniformly excellent, perhaps of Pulitzer quality, and I see no reason to doubt her actual report: that a person close to the family passed this along.

Has anybody managed to keep track of how many boys have come forward to report abuse by this monster?

Well there are the 8 original ones who testified at the grand jury. And I think there are at least 10 more that have come forward but the police are still checking them out. Also two who are currently under 18 and including one who is a member of Sandusky's family.

Sorry, I just really do not care about Penn State or college football or any of extraneous politics behind this story, so I am having trouble keeping up on the real news. Has Sandusky been convicted? Have all of the people who covered for him and enabled him been charged/arrested/convicted and how many victims have come forward?

He hasn't been convicted yet, no one's been convicted yet. Sandusky is currently not in prison and living in his house next to an elementary school.

Honestly I'm getting sick of the pool discussion, every time I come to this thread and see new posts it seems to be about the pool, I don't think it warrants this many posts :twocents:

My husband is not going to bring our son to the WI-Penn game tomorrow. Our tickets are right near the student section. I'll be very interested to hear what kind of reception Penn gets from our students. They are cringe-worthy hosts even under the best of circumstances. ( Really smart kids can bring crude to new levels!) However, Penn fans should not fear.....WI fans aside from the students, are some of the friendliest, truest football fans out there. I hope the students respresent the school well, but I'm skeptical.....:crazy:

School in question is Penn State; dubbing them "Penn" will cause heart attacks at the ultra-prestigious Wharton School of Business at the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania, a.k.a. "Penn"! (Which is actually sort of funny.)

In one interview Paterno said his job at Penn State was not his only income. Has it come out anywhere how else he was making money?

In one interview Paterno said his job at Penn State was not his only income. Has it come out anywhere how else he was making money?
From those "Joe Paterno: Linebackers, with Jerry Sandusky" videos, for one thing.

School in question is Penn State; dubbing them "Penn" will cause heart attacks at the ultra-prestigious Wharton School of Business at the Ivy League University of Pennsylvania, a.k.a. "Penn"! (Which is actually sort of funny.)

You're right...we abbreviate it to Penn here because we never play the Ivy schools, it's kind of just understood what is meant. My apologies to any Penn alums out there! :seeya:

From those "Joe Paterno: Linebackers, with Jerry Sandusky" videos, for one thing.
Never pulled them till after the GJ came out when Paterno knew full well what Jerry was all about before the findings.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/23/BAC71M3D1R.DTL

A San Diego lawmaker announced legislation Wednesday that would require all university athletic directors and coaches to report suspected child abuse to law enforcement, a proposal prompted by the child molestation scandal at Penn State University.

Another lawmaker, Assemblyman Ricardo Lara, D-Bell Gardens (Los Angeles County), also announced Wednesday that he will introduce legislation that would strip nonprofits of their tax-exempt status if they fail to report the sex abuse of a child.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2011/11/18/states-consider-mandating-sex-abuse-reporting-after-penn-state-scandal

A recently introduced bill in New York would require college officials and coaches at all grade levels to tell police about child abuse, and lawmakers in Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Iowa, and Maryland have expressed interest in strengthening mandatory reporting laws. Pine says those states are on the right track, and all states should take a look at their laws.

I hope in the aftermath of this all that we are able to look back and see something positive came from this. Justice and healing for Sandusky's victims, broadening who is mandated to report abuse and changing how we hold people responsible that don't report abuse - these are the important things.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/nation/since-jerry-sandusky-penn-state-scandal-child-abuse-hotlines-are-lighting-up

Authorities in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania report an increase in calls to their child abuse hotlines since the breaking of the Penn State scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther