Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi 13th!

Concerning my "sources" - they are both people who have direct face-to-face contact with her. Not too hard to find here, since she lives within 2 miles of me, lol! Nope, didn't hear this on the internet! And FWIW, I heard this long before I knew she was getting married!

narlacat said:
Shopper
You started out saying she is not a hero, then you go as far to say, she wasn't a victim either.
Why does it worry you so much that she got credit :confused:

I think she was a victim, she wasn't to know he was a loony tune, he came on good recommendation didn't he?
She had no idea he wasn't single.

That's right, I don't think she was neither hero nor victim. Why does it worry Amber supporters what others think? I've not bashed her nor have I been overly critical. I'm not a fan based on HER own pity-party she threw for herself in countless conversations. For the umteenth time, what she did was not heroic IMO, it was the right thing for anyone to do.

If you want to think of her as a victim and hero, go ahead. Personally, I think TO SOME DEGREE she got off on the attention. Not trying to yell, just emphasizing that particular point. That is my opinion, I'm not trying to convince anyone, only showing that there is more than one way to look at something.

I'm not against her, I'm just not in awe of her.

Newtv: I agree with most of your posts here, except for this one area. Quoting you:

"She didnt abort her children or adopt them out-she is raising them..end of story- its her business who she chooses as fathers.."

You make it sound like putting a child up for adoption is a bad thing. There are many, many people who SHOULD have made that choice, and didn't and the child suffers because it was unwanted, unloved, and eventually as it got older, tossed aside. Adoption is a good and viable alternative for an unwanted pregnancy. Amber's choice of keeping her children was obviously because she wanted those children, planned or unplanned. But don't paint the whole adoption issue with such a broad brush... it's a good thing for many, many women.

I am an adopted child, and I actually met and formed a relationship with my biological mother. She told me, flat out, that my life with her would have been a nightmare for us both, because she was dating a very abusive and unstable man, who- at the time- she felt she could not leave. Her life, in total, was a trainwreck at the time. When she became pregnant with me, she went into a tailspin. That tailspin didn't stop with me being put up for adoption... her life sank deeper and deeper down until she hit rock bottom, cleaned herself up, and started her life over. With a child in tow, undoubtedly she would have had a much harder time to put her life back together.

Amber's choices are her own. She decided to keep the unplanned children, and good for her. I just hope she made the right choice for the children. I hope she has a long and stable marriage and I wish her the best of luck!

Well yeah, I'm not in awe of her either, but I do believe she was a victim in all of it, along with other people and needless to say Laci and Connor.

I haven't seen enough of her to say she got off on the attention.
I've only ever seen her on Oprah that time and I thought she came across as a quite unassuming sort of a person.

Didn't Amber admit in her book that she'd had an abortion?

Also, didn't she record phone conversations with a past lover, another married man, and then play those tapes for said married man's wife? If that's true, it seems as if she was familiar and comfortable with taping phone conversations. Hardly heroic IMO.

<<I am an adopted child, and I actually met and formed a relationship with my biological mother>>

Well, good for you mssheila.
I am adopted also and wish my story worked out like yours.
My biological mother was and probably still is a selfish cow who probably didn't consider an abortion because it wasn't the done thing back then.
Putting a child up for adoption isn't necassarily a good thing.

shopper said:

Also, didn't she record phone conversations with a past lover, another married man, and then play those tapes for said married man's wife? If that's true, it seems as if she was familiar and comfortable with taping phone conversations. Hardly heroic IMO.

Yep and yep.

narlacat said:
Oh.

Did she know he was married?

Sure did. She played the tapes for the wife in hopes of breaking them up, IIRC. She was hardly heroic when she recorded SP, she was a pro.

Oh.

But did she know he was married right from the start or found out after they had formed a relationship?

Excuse my ignorance, as you all are lol, but what's IIRC?

Not much to add- but I think Amber is one of the Neediest women I've seen as far as men go. I think she's looking for her Knight in shining armor and keeps getting jerks. My oldest daughter is the same way- but has never gotten pregnant. Needy individuals - male or female- make bad choices. Listening to SP's tapes- it was pretty obvious that he was FOS!! I admire you strong, capable single parents!!!! You go girls!!! I don't admire Amber!! I kind of pity her!:doh: :doh:

shopper said:
Then we will just have to respectfully disagree. I've not made an issue of her life choices (poor choice in men, different fathers, etc) other than she rushed into a relationship with a man she barely knew and then paints herself as his victim. I distinctly remember in those conversations she taped, whining about how this has all effected her life...that's when I started to get turned off by her. At least she HAS a freakin life!!! More than Laci and Conner can say.

I think Scott would have been convicted without those tapes. Again, I'm not saying they didn't amount to anything, they just didn't amount to everything. Initially, IMO she could've cooperated with LE to prove she had nothing to do with Laci's disappearance.

She's neither a victim nor a hero IMO. She did what any person with a conscience should've done.

I have to agree that the type of conversations Amber had with Scott could easily lead someone to think they had been together a long time and were very serious, but when you put it in perspective of a couple of months, it really shouldn't take that long to get over a short "relationship" like that. There was a lot of guilt tripping going on in the phone calls. Furthermore, a short 'couple of months long' relationship really doesn't impact someone's emotional life that much. The impact in Amber's life was that she was helpful in obtaining evidence for the prosecution which, as you point out, is nothing more significant than doing the right thing.

Yeah some girls just gotta have a guy around, Amber is beginning to sound needy :waitasec:
I am a single parent who does it all by myself for the most part, and pretty much don't understand women that jump from relationship to relationship but each to their own.
I guess I hope Amber has picked the right guy, if not for her sake as much as her kids.

shopper said:
Well it has been what, 2 years, since the trial and I'm not going to pretend to remember all the evidence presented so I won't get into a debate about that. I'd have to read Catherine Crier's book again, which I just might do since I'm between books at the time.

But I still don't think she deserves all of the credit, especially when she would've been found out anyway. Wasn't the Enquirer about to break with her pictures?

Yes, the NE was about to break the story so Amber came forward publicly. Prior to that she came forward with the police.

As for crucial evidence, the tapes proved that Scott was a liar and that he was fooling around while his wife was pregnant. Neither of these points prove murder. The gps, the whistle when the anchor was found, dog handlers, lack of remorse, phone taps, being at the scene of the crime and more added up to a conviction for murder.

narlacat said:
Oh.

But did she know he was married right from the start or found out after they had formed a relationship?

Excuse my ignorance, as you all are lol, but what's IIRC?

"IIRC" means if I recall correctly. I don't remember if she knew he was married at the beginning of the relationship or not, but she did play the tapes for the wife in hopes of breaking them up, who was pregnant btw. So even if she didn't know in the beginning, she gets no credit for that since she was hell bent on breaking them up later. Also, I seem to recall something about her showing up at the hospital when the baby was born.

Does any of this make it clear why I have a problem with her being portrayed as a victim? Maybe karma was doing a little payback on her for her past behavior.

otto said:
Yes, the NE was about to break the story so Amber came forward publicly. Prior to that she came forward with the police.

As for crucial evidence, the tapes proved that Scott was a liar and that he was fooling around while his wife was pregnant. Neither of these points prove murder. The gps, the whistle when the anchor was found, dog handlers, lack of remorse, phone taps, being at the scene of the crime and more added up to a conviction for murder.

Great points, thank you. I found my copy of "A Deadly Game" (a miracle since we've moved since I read it) and I'm going to read it again.

The Diane Sawyer and Gloria Gomez interviews were just as insightful as the Amber tapes. But those weren't in evidence were they? See, I can't even remember that detail.

shopper said:

Yes, I remember that she taped conversations with another married boyfriend and it was also Amber's suggestion to record conversations with Scott for the police. Amber also continued a relationship with the married man even though she knew that he was married and that his wife was pregnant.

Sure.

I'm getting the picture Shopper.

Geez, she didn't come across as stupid in that interview I saw on Oprah :confused:

Could she have been that unlucky to not know that two people she dated were married and only found out afterwards?
I know that still doesn't condone her behaviour ie going to the hospital and trying to break them up.
She is still a victim in the sense that SP lied to her, tricked her into falling in love with him and what a mess having the guilt of Laci and Connor.
She must have guilt about that.

narlacat said:
Yeah some girls just gotta have a guy around, Amber is beginning to sound needy :waitasec:
I am a single parent who does it all by myself for the most part, and pretty much don't understand women that jump from relationship to relationship but each to their own.
I guess I hope Amber has picked the right guy, if not for her sake as much as her kids.

Me too ... single parent and no way would I put my children in a situation where there's a revolving door of possible spouses no matter how old my children are. It would have been wise for Amber to take a little time off from relationships and focus on career and family, figure out what she really wants in a relationship and then build that relationship over time until she's confident that it will work. It scares me that there are now her children and his children plus three other parents in the equation. It might all work out, but if it doesn't there could be a lot of casualties. I hope it works, but the odds are not in her favour, especially with only knowing each other for less than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member