Photos of the Couple - *WARNING: Graphic Images*

Discussion in 'Mystery couple murdered South Carolina 1976' started by christine2448, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

2. ssnva1

ssnva1 Active Member

I posted this on the main thread but thought I’d update here too.

Hi- I emailed his sister back in October and I could have swore I posted her response. I have been caring for my dad who just passed away from cancer so a lot of thingsfrom last year are a blur to me. Anyway the email is below. And FWIW, I still think it’s very good chance it’s him.

I sent-
    Hello Diane,

I came across your missing brothers info on a website that I use to read and research missing people/ cold cases.

There’s strong similarities to your brother and the Sumter County Jock Doe that was found murdered in 1976 along with a young female.

Have you looked at this possibility?

Here’s a link to their page.

She replied-
    Thank you for your concern. We have seen it and the different pics are confusing, however, no one in the family has olive skin and he did not have thick eyebrows. He was a college student when he went missing so would not have afforded that kind of dental work. Also he was under 6 ft tall. Again thank you though, sincerely Diane

amandab, Falling Down, dotr and 2 others like this.
  3. DEB-Z

DEB-Z BSN, RN

I was wondering about DNA also...
    This case has bothered me for many years...
    So sad...

4. Stella

Stella Well-Known Member

Thank you. I wish I'd read this first. I just posed a question about the eyebrows on another string; now I have the answer.

ssnva1 and DEB-Z like this.
  5. Lisa Dee

Lisa Dee Detective in a past life

DNA confirmed that although they looked similar, they were not related.

DEB-Z likes this.
  6. Lisa Dee

Lisa Dee Detective in a past life

I don't see any moles.

7. Angleterre

Angleterre Verified Law Enforcement England

The lack of underwear and non shaved underarms and legs is indicative of some German people imoo

fridaybaker and dotr like this.
  8. DEB-Z

DEB-Z BSN, RN

Unless they were being held someplace prior to the murder and dumping...
    Allows time for hair to grow out and lack of underwear...
    Human trafficking, sex slaves, and ritual sex abuse was not widely known about during that time period...
    Perhaps trying to escape from someone, or a group of people, that tracked them down...
    Will check back again

9. Triss

Triss Well-Known Member

I find it unlikely that they were hostages prior to their murder. They were seen buying food at a fruit stand not long before their death. I believe the witness' testimony because the autopsy revealed fruit in their stomachs.

10. Onaliv

Onaliv Well-Known Member

My gut feeling (Opinion, nothing to prove it) remains they possibly encountered their killer(s) at the fruit stand and were killed as part of a robbery and probable carjacking. If we are to believe that the Sumter County local (who was found in possession of the murder weapon during a traffic stop) was in any way involved in these killings it would be logical that they had something he wanted. Don’t think there was any sexual attack, so unless it was just a thrill killing the murderer(s) probably got something of value as a result.

T rex likes this.
  11. Sweetluv

Sweetluv Well-Known Member

Autopsy said they were well groomed...
    Her outfit and wedged heels don't fit with being hostages.
    Plus ice cream or fruit found in their stomach contents.

T rex and faerieskye like this.
  12. faerieskye

faerieskye Active Member

I think their ethnicity is Italian. They have a really strong Italian - ancestry face. I don't think they're French or anything else. They could be Argentinian of Italian descent though, but they're certainly Mediterranean Italians.

Falling Down and Onaliv like this.
  13. fridaybaker

fridaybaker Well-Known Member

I am new to this case, and have read in several posts about photos of the couple. However, any links or threads which indicate photos are blank. Can someone here direct me to any photos related to this case?

14. fridaybaker

Looking at this very old case and very old post, I'm just posting some thoughts, although I think the identities here will likely never be known.

I think a good starting point is the KOA man, who said that he knew the man as "Jock" (Jacques). The victim did have a ring with that first initial. His story about being the son of a "prominent"? doctor who'd had an argument with his father about not wanting to follow in the father's footsteps, is also consistent with LE's assessment of the victim as being affluent. So, we have two significant points given by the KOA man which are consistent with the evidence.

Some things I would have liked to ask LE at the time: Since the KOA man reported that the victim told him he was from Canada, did they explore the KOA man's impressions as to an accent? Would the KOA man recognize a Canadian accent? Did they give him some recordings of regional Canadian speech, for example? Somehow I think not, but I'd love to know. A person claiming that he had met and socialized with the victim on several occasions could have helped at least nail down a country!

Also, it was reported that the woman had unshaven legs. This is consistent with the "olive" skin, for probably quite a few parts of the world, but certainly for southern Germany in the 70's. Now, I'm not sure about the "olive" exactly, but many southern Germans, as well as Eastern Europeans, have what many of us would call olive skin. That may not be the correct term, but it is skin that is darker and tans more easily than the "peaches and cream", "rosy", etc. skin of those with northern European-type descent. Most women throughout Germany in the 70's didn't shave their legs.

What I'd really like to know, though, is why LE reported only on one of the areas that women typically shave! I don't know as much about regional differences in the custom of shaving underarms, but I do know that in Germany, again, it wasn't typical in the 70's. The only other group I know of for sure who don't have that custom are "hippies"; however, I'm pretty sure it wasn't typical to shave the underarms throughout much of Europe, especially Eastern Europe, and also Africa, etc. in the 70's. Wonder how prevalent it was in Canada?

annemc2 and faerieskye like this.
  15. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Go to their NamUs profiles. I had them added to NamUs. Pamela Reed reached out to their LE who was new to the case. He had boxes he had to go thru; which would have taken forever for their profiles to go online.

I ended up giving Pamela Reed all of the photos I had saved of them, she uploaded them all. Their profiles were built using information I provided.

I was on a mission to have them added because there was a couple that were entered in NamUs to be compared to the mystery couple. It was shocking that their case wasn't one of the 1st cases added to NamUs; especially since their case is one of the cases known around the world

Vern, T rex, Sweetluv and 1 other person like this.
  16. fridaybaker

Thank you Roselvr. I'll check the NamUs profiles.

It looks like you've done quite a bit of work on this. Kudos!

Roselvr and Sweetluv like this.
  17. T rex

T rex Member

I do believe they were traveling by car, so something had to happen to it . I've never given much thought to them being hitchhikers but I have considered a motorcycle or possibly even a boat but a while back something occurred to me. Any one of these three ways of traveling would have required excessive amounts of time in the sun but there is no mention of sun tans or tan lines in any of their descriptions. Maybe they were car jacked or perhaps killed for another reason and the killers just felt like the car needed to be disposed of but I'm convinced that's how they were traveling.

18. Ozoner

Ozoner Well-Known Member

My number one theory is that they had a pretty nice car and parked it in an out of the way place to sleep for the night. They could have parked on a dirt road or even pulled onto an access lane in a farmer's field or orchard. People used to do that sort of thing fairly often. (I know I did.) I think that some hillbilly car thieves (possibly including Lonnie Henry) came across Jock and Jane and saw an opportunity.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  19. fridaybaker

That would go a way toward explaining the lack of theft of the jewelry/watch. Those things weren't the objective, the vehicle was. A car jacker might, indeed, take those things if he had time, but not being the focus of the robbery, might have easily left them, especially if pressed for time.

Ozoner likes this.
  20. Sweetluv

Sweetluv Well-Known Member

What is the opinion of the gunshot wounds? Three each seems overkill.
    Almost execution