Pit Bull Ban Starts Today In Garfield Heights, OH

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
With this responsible action, a pet owner is recognizing what some seem to not, that a dog is a dog, no more, no less. We simply cannot say, "My dog would never hurt anyone." We really can't even say that about humans, how can we say it about dogs? Dogs apparently can snap, and they cannot tell us why. We cannot send them to prison to be rehabilitated or to a shrink. (Well, I know there are dog shrinks, but...) Humans do have (or should) a higher level of intelligence and accountability. I LOVE dogs, BTW. For myself, having a dog with a small likelihood of aggression or ability to hurt a person is important. This has to do both with breed selection and training/socialization. The breed instinct can override all training at times, like with the dog we are talking about here. Whether training and socialization can reliably override aggression is obviously something people argue about all the time. I'm not sure of this - which is why I own a wimpy poodle, who would be put down if he ever demonstrated unprovoked aggression towards a human. I say unprovoked because if someone was hitting him or being physically cruel, he might growl and snap (if he was unable to run away).

Eve

This is funny to me because a women came to buy straw from my parents farm the other day. They had a Husky and a poodle with them. My mom said is the Husky agressive before she got to close and the woman said no but the poodle is so watch out, LOL.

This is funny to me because a women came to buy straw from my parents farm the other day. They had a Husky and a poodle with them. My mom said is the Husky agressive before she got to close and the woman said no but the poodle is so watch out, LOL.

Well, I know it's possible. I figured someone would say that. Still, I haven't seen a poodle who could compare to a pit bull in the amount of damage it could do. Yes, there are poorly trained, cranky poodles, ankle biters, as it were. I would not keep one like that. Why anyone would keep an aggressive dog, I will never know.

I had a husky and a malamute. The malamute started getting aggressive with small dogs when old, and we put her down. The husky killed some of our neighbors' ducks and he was put out to pasture too. My poodle did kill a mouse a couple months ago, but no complaints from the mouse's owners, and I was quite proud of him, no one in our family could believe he did it!:D

Eve

It is in the nature of huskies to kill animals. I know it sounds bad but mine bring me "presents" all the time. In no way would I put mine down because of that. It is in their nature. I get squirels, possums, and yes raccoons at my back door weekly. My vet says they are showing me I am the pack leader s this is what they do in the wild. Heck just the other day I had a dead snake at my back door. I have seen my poor old guy in action and to me it seems as if he tries and play with them but as you know a husky compared to a little squirell has no chance. And just to make it clear they show NO agression to little dogs or kids. Kids are actually scared of them until I welcome them to pet them, as my dogs lick them to death. Some dogs are just hunters and no training will take that out of them, believe me I have tried against the advice of Vet. I get scared i mean my old guy tries and fights raccoons with their babies. Which I will tell you is the most horribe sound in the world. I tell him one day he isnt gonna win, but does he listen, NO. LOL And to who said a dog is just a dog. I really disagree with that, Mine are my children. I may be put down for that but I treat them like I would a child. I love my babies and wouldnt know what I would do without them.

I forget the members name whose Bro had to put the PB down. As sad as it may sound he really did do the right thing. If ever one of mine showed agression to any child would be the last.

It is in the nature of huskies to kill animals. I know it sounds bad but mine bring me "presents" all the time. In no way would I put mine down because of that. It is in their nature. I get squirels, possums, and yes raccoons at my back door weekly. My vet says they are showing me I am the pack leader s this is what they do in the wild. Heck just the other day I had a dead snake at my back door. I have seen my poor old guy in action and to me it seems as if he tries and play with them but as you know a husky compared to a little squirell has no chance. And just to make it clear they show NO agression to little dogs or kids. Kids are actually scared of them until I welcome them to pet them, as my dogs lick them to death. Some dogs are just hunters and no training will take that out of them, believe me I have tried against the advice of Vet. I get scared i mean my old guy tries and fights raccoons with their babies. Which I will tell you is the most horribe sound in the world. I tell him one day he isnt gonna win, but does he listen, NO. LOL And to who said a dog is just a dog. I really disagree with that, Mine are my children. I may be put down for that but I treat them like I would a child. I love my babies and wouldnt know what I would do without them.

I forget the members name whose Bro had to put the PB down. As sad as it may sound he really did do the right thing. If ever one of mine showed agression to any child would be the last.

InndyGal,

We put our husky "out to pasture," by that I mean we literally gave him to a farmer. He killed a few of our neighbor's ducks and they called the police. We were told normally they would have required us to have him put down for killing a domestic animal, but frankly, because my husband at the time was the County Attorney, they gave us a break and gave us 4 days to find him another home.

My poodle thinks he's a tough guy too. When deer run through our yard he runs after them barking and he barks at all manner of animals in "his" territory, our yard. We live on a river so this keeps him very busy. He did get into it with a coon and was in very bad shape. :( I am at fault for allowing him to roam our property but he rarely leaves the yard. In our area dogs tend to escape and visit the neighbors and neighbors' dogs (their buddies) frequently - we are all pretty tolerant. I grew up in a world of freely running dogs, and you know, new tricks are hard to learn!

Anyway, I've had a lot of different dogs and they all have their killer instinct to some extent with other animals. Nothing you can do about that. They're dogs! They shouldn't have it with people though.

Eve

Sorry I misunderstood Out to the pasture..LOL

Not that it is funny but a poolde and A coon, OMG sorry. I couldnt even imagine that. Hope your baby didnt get hurt bad, assuming that is who was hurt.

Totally agree first sign of agression to humans means no more puppy, sad but true!

InndyGal,

We put our husky "out to pasture," by that I mean we literally gave him to a farmer. He killed a few of our neighbor's ducks and they called the police. We were told normally they would have required us to have him put down for killing a domestic animal, but frankly, because my husband at the time was the County Attorney, they gave us a break and gave us 4 days to find him another home.

My poodle thinks he's a tough guy too. When deer run through our yard he runs after them barking and he barks at all manner of animals in "his" territory, our yard. We live on a river so this keeps him very busy. He did get into it with a coon and was in very bad shape. :( I am at fault for allowing him to roam our property but he rarely leaves the yard. In our area dogs tend to escape and visit the neighbors and neighbors' dogs (their buddies) frequently - we are all pretty tolerant. I grew up in a world of freely running dogs, and you know, new tricks are hard to learn!

Anyway, I've had a lot of different dogs and they all have their killer instinct to some extent with other animals. Nothing you can do about that. They're dogs! They shouldn't have it with people though.

Eve

Thanks for clarifying that, btw. I was kinda wondering about it myself. My Mal goes after squirrels all the time but my cattle dog is MUCH faster and she always gives them the chance to get away. She just corners them...LOL! With 4 dogs, the Mal is pretty much the last to catch up and my other three don't kill anything, like I said, the cattle dog is the fastest (friggin lightning fast!) and she'll just herd it into a corner and whatever it is will scamper over the fence! None of mine have ever shown aggression towards kids or small dogs, thankfully (or cats, I've got 2).

I have this posted in the pet cornor but wanted to sahre here for those who dont read there. This is how mean my husky is with my Cat....LOLOLOL

sdf-01.jpg

Just skimmed a few posts.. you know what I found funny? I used to work at a dog/cat boarding kennel that also offered grooming services. I worked there for about a year and during that entire time the only breed of dog that bit me (and we had a pit mama in there with pups more than once) was a poodle!!

Even the pits with the puppies never tried to bite me. Weirdly though they wouldn't let any of the other caretakers in there either. When the pits came in they were directly put into my care. That went for dobermans, rots, and other dogs that the manager thought might be agressive. I think the dogs knew that I genuinely liked them and that I would never intentionally hurt them.
My friend's rot is the same way. Even her husband was stunned that Magnum never growled at me or anything the first time I met him.

Sorry I misunderstood Out to the pasture..LOL

Not that it is funny but a poolde and A coon, OMG sorry. I couldnt even imagine that. Hope your baby didnt get hurt bad, assuming that is who was hurt.

Totally agree first sign of agression to humans means no more puppy, sad but true!

I didn't make it clear. I have had so many big dogs it might seem funny I now have a poodle. My son has asthma and poodles don't shed. Poodles are very smart. If trained well, most are wonderful, they are highly intelligent, love to please and are playful and athletic. The Standards are awesome hunters or rescue dogs, especially in water. Poodles were orginally hunting dogs in Germany (poodle-puddle/water) until the French got ahold of them and bred them smaller for lap dogs. They aren't really that wimpy - they need exercise and are natural hunters, runners, jumpers. People just tend to spoil them and they make them look so silly with the bows and over-the-top grooming. My husband was so mad when they put bows (blue) on our poodle! We usually give him a very low-key sporting cut and he gets a bandana at the groomers. Poodles are prone to separation anxiety - they almost think they are human.

But my poodle thinks he is as tough as the next dog, don't tell him he's not. I heard the fight with the coon and it was just horrible. It was dark, nothing I could do. He came home torn and bloody, ended up with many stitches. For awhile he was wary but he's back at it again, ran off the deck the other night and treed a coon in no time. When the coon realized how small his captor was, he raced down the tree and started hissing. My dog ran away, thank God! He is lightening fast. That is good and bad, it is how he gets away from me. When he thinks he is defending his turf he takes off like a shot.

Eve

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeniLoo