Plant That Causes Third-degree Burns, Blindness Found In Virginia

margarita25

Reaction score
Plant that causes third-degree burns, blindness found in Virginia

"RICHMOND, Va. — Giant Hogweed, an invasive plant that can cause third-degree burns and permanent blindness, has been found in Virginia, according to researchers at the Massey Herbarium at Virginia Tech."

Snip

"The plant’s hollow stems are generally two to four inches in diameter, with dark purple and red raised spots and bristle-like hairs. The umbrella-shaped white floral blooms grow up to two and a half feet wide."

*more at link

I had one growing in my yard (Ohio) but didn't know what it was. I was curious so let it bloom. After research I was scared but wore long sleeves and pants and gloves and dug it up very carefully with a shovel.
Still see them growing but I catch then while small so less dangerous.
Just for fun depending on your taste in music...The Return of the Giant Hogweed.

I had one growing in my yard (Ohio) but didn't know what it was. I was curious so let it bloom. After research I was scared but wore long sleeves and pants and gloves and dug it up very carefully with a shovel.
Still see them growing but I catch then while small so less dangerous.
Just for fun depending on your taste in music...The Return of the Giant Hogweed.

Yikes! Ohio is actually also mentioned:

"So far, there has been just one confirmed sighting of Giant Hogweed — in Clarke County, Virginia, but the dangerous plant also grows in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, according to CBS."

That plant is found here in Finland too. Cities are trying hard to get rid of it by herbicides but it's still found all around the edges of the forests and meadows.

As for Finland, interesting! I wonder where else it grows in the world....

Last edited:
"Not only can the plant’s sap cause painful blisters, but if it gets in contact with your eyes, there is the potential for blindness, according to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.

The plant, which is in the carrot family, can not only pose a threat to your skin, but it can also impact the environment. It can grow up to 14 feet, deeply shading areas and inhibiting growth of native species."

Plant that causes third-degree burns, blindness found in Virginia

That thing is huge......I haven’t seen any here in NJ......ya really can’t miss it thank goodness.
It is an impressive plant. I recall being really intrigued and peering closely at the the little buds before and after it bloomed, and yet something told me not to touch it.
I dug it up because I didn't want my dog to brush up against it while he was outside,or any neighborhood kitties to come into contact with it.

One of my friends recently posted this one FB. Her friend's son was doing landscaping while away from college, ended up in the hospital from it! I pray it doesn't get on my land, or I don't come across it. Nasty weed!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back