Meet & Greet for New Members #3

What are some of the major cases I may not have heard of going on near Champaign ? I’m currently getting my bs in digital media communications and am wanting to be a criminal justice reporter and heard about websleuths from the Abraham Shakespeare story

This one is wrapped up but still very intriguing, and in your neighborhood:

It has already been solved but the Holly Cassano murder was a cold case for years.

Threads are closed here, but perhaps this would fit the search you'd like?

Lots of information & links.

I want to start researching cases, but I am lost. I reviewed the forums but it's no help. When do I start? Is there a list of cold cases to choose from? Do I have to pay a subscription fee? Is there a new case researcher guide that I can use?

Thanks for your help.
Well, if you wanted to research missing person cases you could start with the Missing Persons Discussion. There's over a hundred pages with 20 different cases on each page. And those are just the recent cases.

If you're interested in historical cases you could look at the Missing but not forgotten Discussion.
They're grouped by decade and there are thousands of cases.

If you are interested in a certain person and you know their name you can see if there is already a thread by using the search window at the top right corner of each page.

If you are interested in unidentified human remains The Unidentified Discussion is the place to look.
The Unidentified

I want to start researching cases, but I am lost. I reviewed the forums but it's no help. When do I start? Is there a list of cold cases to choose from? Do I have to pay a subscription fee? Is there a new case researcher guide that I can use?

Thanks for your help.
Also if I may say I have the same problem at times I like 2 look up stuff that happened around my area and then go from there if there’s a particular case that also may help and if u google anything and just add Websleuths that helps also with stuff

Also if I may say I have the same problem at times I like 2 look up stuff that happened around my area and then go from there if there’s a particular case that also may help and if u google anything and just add Websleuths that helps also with stuff
This is great advice! Thank you. I'm also feeling overwhelmed by the number of cases and not sure where/how to start. This helps. All the best!

Thanks for your help.
Just want to let you know that you're not alone! I'm new, as well, and finding it hard to decide or figure out where to hone in and start digging. The advice below to search for cases in your state is very helpful. Wishing you the best of luck! If you ever want to put your head together with someone else who's trying to find their way here, you are welcome to reach out.

This is further north, I'm afraid, but it's a case that needs attention and remains unsolved. Husband is a person of interest, but no body, DNA or evidence. Lisa Stebic deserves justice. I wish you all the best in your studies and career.

Your welcome I hope everything works out 4 everyone new on here bless you all and happy 2 have new people on here like I said if u need anything else let me know or someone else on here everybody is good on here

We have threads about Lisa Stebic:

We have threads about Lisa Stebic:

Thank you; I took a look at those. Unfortunately, nothing new. I live in the same town that Lisa Stebic lived in, and it feels like this case has just about been forgotten. Someone, somewhere knows something.

My apologies if there's already a thread like this. I could not find one.

What do you know or understand or know how to do now that you wish you had known when you first started websleuthing?

I'm a great researcher and am able to see/notice details that aren't readily apparent. But that is clearly not enough. What's the best advice you would give a newb who truly wants to be useful around here and help victims?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and wisdom!

My apologies if there's already a thread like this. I could not find one.

What do you know or understand or know how to do now that you wish you had known when you first started websleuthing?

I'm a great researcher and am able to see/notice details that aren't readily apparent. But that is clearly not enough. What's the best advice you would give a newb who truly wants to be useful around here and help victims?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and wisdom!
Read the TOS - aka The Rules
From the 10% Rule (copyright infringement) to sleuthing family members to providing links and everything in between, it's an excellent guide to what is and isn't allowed.

Please read threads from the beginning -- or consider apologizing for jumping in late if you happen to do that.

Also consider using the Search box to try terms within the thread to see if info is already there.

Frustrating to read posts with ideas that LE has already ruled out.

Learn to use that Search box.

Also learn to use Google before posting a new thread -- typing "Name of Missing Person" Websleuths may show an existing thread for the missing person. Same for remains, search for the NAMUS case number etc.

Be ready to find the Ignore feature if you feel that you're being trolled.

And, continue to read & post -- you will figure it out & shed that Newbie handle soon enough!

Please read threads from the beginning -- or consider apologizing for jumping in late if you happen to do that.

Also consider using the Search box to try terms within the thread to see if info is already there.

Frustrating to read posts with ideas that LE has already ruled out.

Learn to use that Search box.

Also learn to use Google before posting a new thread -- typing "Name of Missing Person" Websleuths may show an existing thread for the missing person. Same for remains, search for the NAMUS case number etc.

Be ready to find the Ignore feature if you feel that you're being trolled.

And, continue to read & post -- you will figure it out & shed that Newbie handle soon enough!
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do use the search box function repeatedly. I'm sure it is frustrating and annoying to read posts where things have already been ruled out. I would say, on my end as a new person, it's overwhelming sifting through all the information. Or finding a thread with little to no information, only to discover that there's another thread with info buried somewhere else on the site. But I'm trying and making the effort. Again, I appreciate your input; it's very helpfu.

Well, if you wanted to research missing person cases you could start with the Missing Persons Discussion. There's over a hundred pages with 20 different cases on each page. And those are just the recent cases.

If you're interested in historical cases you could look at the Missing but not forgotten Discussion.
They're grouped by decade and there are thousands of cases.

If you are interested in a certain person and you know their name you can see if there is already a thread by using the search window at the top right corner of each page.

If you are interested in unidentified human remains The Unidentified Discussion is the place to look.
The Unidentified
Thank-you! I am using this as a sticky in my iPad notes. Great reference tool.

What are some of the major cases I may not have heard of going on near Champaign ? I’m currently getting my bs in digital media communications and am wanting to be a criminal justice reporter and heard about websleuths from the Abraham Shakespeare story
There is still the open homicide case of Ryan Riddell and Mark Prosse in Douglas County.

Hello All

I just watched Web of Death - Jackpot Murder on Disney Plus and had to join.

I have always loved true crimes and wanted to be a part of the community and if I can help out

Happy Sleuthing

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho