dcountmontecristo

Free Thinker
Reaction score
(Daily Camera News Archive)

Whites call book pack of lies

Former Ramsey "suspect" says factual corrections never made

By Matt SebastianScreenshot_20190814-165704~2.png
Camera Staff Writer

A pair of key witnesses and a onetime suspect in the JonBen�t Ramsey murder investigation are openly criticizing a new book on the 2-year-old slaying, saying the work is peppered with inaccuracies.

Fleet and Priscilla White, in a rare public statement, delivered a letter to the Daily Camera on Thursday, calling author Lawrence Schiller's book "a disorderly amalgam of police evidence, facts, lies and gossip."

"Not surprisingly, very little in the book regarding our family and our role in the investigation is true," wrote the Whites, who say they repeatedly refused interview requests from Schiller.

The Boulder oilman and his wife, who were in the Ramseys' Boulder home the day JonBen�t's body was found, also declined to be interviewed for this story. Their letter appears in today's Open Forum.

Jeff Merrick, reportedly labeled a possible suspect by his former employer John Ramsey, also refused to be interviewed for "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: JonBen�t and the City of Boulder," which hit bookstores last week.

"Unfortunately it wasn't accurate at all," Merrick said of Schiller's account of his role in the Ramsey case.

Although he didn't consent to an interview with the author, Merrick said he was asked to verify passages about himself.

"I corrected it � all of it � and they didn't use any of my corrections," Merrick said, pointing out one 12-sentence section he says contains 17 factual errors.

Schiller's book, Merrick said Thursday, "makes me sound like I was more of a suspect than I ever was."

"I think Larry Schiller had a little story he wanted to tell, and he juiced it up a bit," Merrick said.

Boulder County Commissioner Paul Danish and Pam Griffin, JonBen�t's dressmaker, also have claimed Schiller inaccurately used a small portion of the information they provided the author.

Schiller couldn't be reached for comment Thursday, although he did discuss inaccuracies during a brief interview with the Camera on Tuesday.

"There's been kind of a positive response from both sides of the fence," Schiller said.

The "biggest error," according to Schiller, came in a passage about a check Patsy Ramsey supposedly wrote to housekeeper Linda Hoffmann-Pugh before the killing. JonBen�t's mother didn't write the check, Schiller now says, but intended to.

"The book represents the spirit of what went on," Schiller said.

Six-year-old JonBen�t Ramsey's beaten and strangled body was found in the basement of the family's Boulder home Dec. 26, 1996, about eight hours after the discovery of the ransom note.

Although they maintain their innocence, John and Patsy Ramsey remain under suspicion in their daughter's death. Boulder County's grand jury is currently hearing evidence in the unsolved slaying.

Schiller will host a public forum to discuss his book at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Boulder Public Library. The author will be joined by his researcher/interviewer, Denver Rocky Mountain News reporter Charlie Brennan, and two television commentators.

February 26, 1999

dc, ty
Started reading PMPT, not yet past a few paragraphs,
(prolly a rainy day read for me, gonna take me a while to get through the book for sure)
but I will keep FWs advisement in mind.

what's interesting here is the fact that this article directly debunked the reputation given to this book which was considered by many as "well - balanced and unbiased" narrative of the case.

How did Schiller managed to come up with a story that was never checked with actual testimonies from some of the major characters in the case?

it was not only Schiller's book that's being questioned, the docu-film that was based on this book was also being criticized by the Whites.. In a letter dated May 20, 2003, Fleet and Priscilla wrote to Viacom's president Mel Karmazin to express their strong concern about the planned airing of CBS tv movie based on the ongoing investigation of Jonbenet Ramsey Case, the narrative would be used from Schiller's book "Perfect Murder, Perfect Town." see attachment to see the part of the first page of the said letter.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1565949743198.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1565949743198.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 137
Okay. You do understand that lots of books have been published after PMPT. Two of those were written by two investigators who had direct access to the details of the murder investigation.

So why is this outdated critique of PMPT relevant? I really don't know. PMPT was written on the known facts at the time. As described, the Whites turned down an interview. They did it for all the right reasons. All these years later with an open murder investigation, the reason why they didn't want to be interviewed because they didn't want to taint their testimony has proven to be a waste of time.

outdated critique? relevance?

i believed nothing is outdated when it comes to this case. duh?!.. considering the murder happened more than two decades ago...

the point of the OP is for you also to understand that PMPT is not as accurate as many readers claimed it to be . if the author was questioned on this part, how can you be so sure on the other info he included in the said book. well, the only way to find out is to check the facts from the casefile...

When it was first published PMPT was heralded as a thorough objective examination of the case. Let’s be honest though, since then it has become obvious that Schiller is a hack who doesn’t care about the truth.

this is very true.. and i realize that later after i received these info about the whites' complaints.. Honestly, I was surprised to learn that the said book had issues before its official release. not only the book was being questioned, the Whites also issued a letter to VIACOM for the airing of the pmpt movie... ..just felt disappointed to know this but anyway.. like you said.. schiller really nver care about the truth.. what he really wanted from the beginning was to sell the murder story for money and fame

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back