Poland Poland - Searching for long lost twin Jeno Gottesman "A7734"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 34
I didn't mean to dismiss the difficulties and vagaries of family research in central Europe, by the way. It's just that this was nicht in ordnung for the Germans at this time. They decided exactly how to classify each country they conquered, and victims were from there, whether they liked/agreed with the classification or not.

Did you find your family history? I hope so. :)

We've gotten them on a passenger manifest when they came across the ocean. No such luck in finding anything back in Ukraine. We did find a tailor with our last name in Warsaw on a list of Jewish-owned businesses; to our knowledge we aren't Jewish but hey..maybe we were and the family switched religions. My grandfather claimed to have been raised Eastern Orthodox, but he didn't practice anything. My father remembers him going into local Jewish-owned businesses in New Jersey and speaking in what my dad thought was German or Russian to the owners (my dad was very young), but it makes me wonder if we were Jewish and grandpa was speaking Yiddish. So many unanswered questions. I have read online that there are people who specialize in doing genealogical research in the Carpathians for Americans & people who don't live there since so many documents there are not online. I hope someone on the ground in Ukraine will offer to help this man.

I hope the twins have better luck finding each other. My search is just for interest and can only lead to finding documents; there's a possibility the twins can be reunited.

We've gotten them on a passenger manifest when they came across the ocean. No such luck in finding anything back in Ukraine. We did find a tailor with our last name in Warsaw on a list of Jewish-owned businesses; to our knowledge we aren't Jewish but hey..maybe we were and the family switched religions. My grandfather claimed to have been raised Eastern Orthodox, but he didn't practice anything. So many unanswered questions. I have read online that there are people who specialize in doing genealogical research in the Carpathians for Americans & people who don't live there since som many documents are online. I hope someone on the ground in Ukraine will offer to help this man.

I hope the twins have better luck finding each other. My search is just for interest and can only lead to finding documents; there's a possibility the twins can be reunited.

That's sad, because your ancestral home might still be right there. I tracked one side of my family and after much trouble over many years, got to a tiny village with a row of five cottages in the middle of nowhere. The fifth one had been demolished. And that was my family's home. :(

I humbly thank you for this wonderful thread. I've devoured every bit of Holocaust history I could get my hands on since I was a child in the 50's and 60's. At a very young age I became acquainted with two Holocaust survivors who owned a tiny corner store in Chicago. They had been experimented on. The little corner store still stands but is boarded up now and it's owners are long gone but I never forgot the horror of what happened to those kind people.

I don't know how much help I can be but I'll keep up with this thread and the FB links and try to research and go through some of the very old books I own in case there's some info there. Ya never know.

I am fully aware that this might be a longshot, but Lisa Kudrow (the actress from Friends) is a producer on the US version of Who Do You Think You Are, and found her own painful WW2 family history via that programme in the UK. I believe that is why she brought it over to the US.

I honestly think it would be worth contacting her production company (sorry, you'd have to google it) and passing on this story. She is passionate about about connecting families displaced by the war, and you never know, with those resources something *could* happen?

Worth a try?

I'm getting a little frustrated with that FB page - she was searching for a memoir of a soviet soldier - What was the name, for heaven's sake? I might have it on my bookshelf. And how does it pertain to the search?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A7734/499971010060858

I know what you mean - the facebook page doesn't have quite enough information on it. Considering they are trying to locate the twin through the use of social media, there are ways they could improve it. I appreciate the researcher might not be an expert but I'm sure she could enlist communities of people who would be able to support?

I also found it odd, one article I read, said that she was given the opportunity by the Huffington Post to write an article and publicise but she had to turn it down as she was too busy. Again, maybe she could have asked someone else? and there are a few other news outlets that are carrying the story, so she obviously is speaking to the media.

To really support the search they need clear information and leads. I wonder if they have contacted CANDLES if they are showing as still missing according to their records. That would be the first place to start, as someone else commented, there are people who have clear memories.

I am fully aware that this might be a longshot, but Lisa Kudrow (the actress from Friends) is a producer on the US version of Who Do You Think You Are, and found her own painful WW2 family history via that programme in the UK. I believe that is why she brought it over to the US.

I honestly think it would be worth contacting her production company (sorry, you'd have to google it) and passing on this story. She is passionate about about connecting families displaced by the war, and you never know, with those resources something *could* happen?

Worth a try?

That's a good idea - do you have to live in the US to suggest? Or could I do it? Might be something they would consider

I'm sure if they find the story interesting, they won't mind where the tip comes from, Littlegreenlady.

Make sure you include some relevant links to the news articles, and see what happens. :)

wow--look at this!!! Fascinating-----I am going to jump in at the first thought I had--is it possible that records have been deliberately destroyed or "altered"??? But the tattoo cannot be anything other than what it is. Both boys survived???????

zwiebel---your post at # 4---is it possible that the children were taught German?? Or another language? AM thinking the doctors would want to communicate with the children--or perhaps it was another experiment.

From all I have read, there was a kind of polygot 'camp language' that everyone learned quickly, or died. If you didn't understand, you lied and said you did, and hoped someone told you what was being said. When speaking to guards, it was pure German. But amongst prisoners, it was different.

Children seemed to pick up this 'camp language' quicker than others. Heaven only knows what language they were speaking when they (the very few) were saved.

wow--look at this!!! Fascinating-----I am going to jump in at the first thought I had--is it possible that records have been deliberately destroyed or "altered"??? But the tattoo cannot be anything other than what it is. Both boys survived???????

Did you mean to have a link there?

Could looking for the soviet soldier... Could he have been part of the freeing of the camp and they are looking for him to see if he remembers something?

Interesting story. Any recent developments or news?

Twin Searches for Brother, Auschwitz # A7734

Facebook Link:
A7734

“But according to records retrieved from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Bodner’s twin brother was still alive two weeks after the liberation, giving him hope that he may still be alive and “out there to be found and reunited” with him.

Bodner has discovered from the records that his number and real name was A-7733 GOTTESMAN, ELIAS. His brother’s number and name was A-7734 GOTTESMAN, JENO.”

We ask that you pass this on to appear in your synagogue newsletter, local newspaper, and local television stations to ensure the widest dissemination,” wrote organizers trying to help Bodner with his search.

A Facebook page with photos and more information can be found by clicking here. Readers who learn the whereabouts of Jeno Gottesman are asked to please contact Ms. Ayana Kimron at FamilyRoots2000@gmail.com. “

Interestingly, if you go under "Unidentified Mengele Twins Found on Lists" on the Candles website, you'll find
A-7735 Gottesmann, Joseph

Transcription error? Another sibling? The other list on Candles shows Elias and Jeno as being only 4.

I've got to be honest and say this is a difficult one to know where to fit in the forum, so if there's somewhere better for this thread, please feel free to move it mods. I put Poland as a prefix because the twins were originally Polish but Elias now lives in Tel Aviv.

Anyway, I thought this would be suitable for websleuths as in a way it's still an active search, and the people concerned are actively using the internet and social media in part of their search.

The story is about twin boys, Elias and Jeno Gottesman who were in Auschwitz, under Doctor Mengele when they were four years old. They were separated around the time of the liberation of the camp and Elisa was adopted. He is now looking for his twin Jeno, or "Jolli" Gottesman with the help of an Israeli genealogist Ayana Kimron

Holocaust Survivor Searches For Twin Brother On Facebook (PHOTOS) | HuffPost

The facebook page that has been set up is called "A7734" which is the number that Jeno was assigned in the camp and will have tattooed on him.

A7734

"nice" to see people (thank you) are bringing more international cases to WS. Nice between hash tacks because missing, murdered and unidentified persons are never nice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back