Police asks help identifying the people in photos taken by murderer

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Rose Cole, I see now that he couldn't have seen her, he was in prison. My fault.

He did make that trip to Seattle in very short order after July 11. From Serial Killer Central:

"Alcala’s girlfriend, Elizabeth Kelleher, testified that she saw Alcala on June 22, at which time he was sporting his usual long, curly hair. The next day, however, the composite sketch was exhibited throughout the area.

On June 23, Alcala “straightened” his hair using a chemical solution and then cut his hair short on June 26. On July 8, he informed Kelleher that he was going to move from southern California to Texas to start a photography business.

However, he actually went to Seattle—not Texas—on July 11. It was at this time he obtained the storage locker. He returned to Monterey Park, informing Kelleher that he planned to leave for Texas permanently on July 24. On the other hand, he told another friend, Leslie Schneider, that he was leaving for Chicago."

Depending on when exactly he came back, he might well have been in Oregon on the 20th.

This, to me, makes her look like a good possibility as a victim but less likely to be someone in the photos. Obviously he could and would have been able to develop his own photos eventually but if he were traveling with a camera, would he have been willing to risk leaving the photos to be developed, not knowing if he could ever return? It's unlikely he could have had access to a dark room and then stored the photos in the locker while on the road. Still if ever there was a time to pay for one hour photo development, this was it - was that service available back then?

(Detective Patrick) Ellis said police believe Alcala had moved everything he had of value from his home in Monterey Park, a suburb of Los Angeles, into the Seattle-area storage locker. The items included jewelry he took as trophies from his victims, photographs, photography equipment and his motorcycle, Ellis said.

Ellis said that Alcala had a criminal case pending in California when he rented a unit at a storage center in the 17800 block of Midvale Avenue North in Shoreline. He said authorities believe he intended to flee, perhaps using Seattle as a launchpad.

It's unknown whether Alcala ever lived in Seattle, Ellis said.

A Seattle police spokeswoman said that the department is aware of the developments in the Alcala case but is not actively investigating because there are no known Seattle-area victims at this time.

Alcala's only known connection to Seattle was through a female acquaintance whose name and address he used without her knowledge to rent the storage unit. The woman was interviewed after Alcala's arrest and said that she had not had any contact with Alcala in more than two years and had been camping when Alcala rented the storage unit in July 1979.

Ellis said the photographs were developed from negatives found in the storage unit. While two of the subjects were males, the majority were young women, some naked and some engaged in sex acts.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011322181_serialkiller12m.html

1979, according to the article.

The light and bumper look very much like a 74-78 Datsun F10. However it appears to be the wagon with the tall rear lights, and I'm not sure that the slope of the tailgate matches although the hatch becomes more steeply raked as you go up, out of shot.

bf988d5.jpg

fb9fb62.jpg

Still working on a picture of the sedan version to confirm.

... Ellis said the photographs were developed from negatives found in the storage unit. While two of the subjects were males, the majority were young women, some naked and some engaged in sex acts.

I counted at least three males - unless the person that we compared to Mendocino John Doe is actually a female. I had originally thought that person was a female.

2484899900045078242EOziDN_th1.jpg

The light and bumper look very much like a 74-78 Datsun F10. However it appears to be the wagon with the tall rear lights, and I'm not sure that the slope of the tailgate matches although the hatch becomes more steeply raked as you go up, out of shot.

bf988d5.jpg

fb9fb62.jpg

Still working on a picture of the sedan version to confirm.

Yeah, the yellow car has a lot less vertical space between the side reflector and the molding line.

It also looks as if shes eating with a metal spoon or fork.. I dont know about then, but typically if I order something take out its typically either in a single serving container that I would eat directly out of or its in a large (family) size container that you would then put into bowls - most often either way they would send plastic forks/spoons that you would eat with. Who knows though.

I thought she was probably eating cereal or ice cream. It just looks like that kind of bowl and spoon.

gosh the circumstances don't quite fit but boy that looks like her.
could he have tempted the girls away with a photo shoot?

The problem is the timeline. The girls disappeared from Ft. Worth on December 23, 1974 and Alcala had been arrested two months before, in October, in Huntington Beach, attempting to kidnap the 13-year old girl known as "Julie J." in court records. He was held on a parole violation and charged with providing marijuana to a minor. He was later convicted and returned to prison until 1977 (I'm trying to find the exact release date). I assume he wasn't eligible for bail in October, but given the incredibly lax justice system in California in the 1970's when it came to violent criminals, perhaps that's not a given.

Another possibility: he could have traveled to Ft. Worth and met Rachel in the time between his August, 1974 release from prison and the October arrest, took the photo, and left. It would be incredibly ironic if she later met with foul play at the hands of someone else entirely in December.

(I am trying to put together an exact timeline from various sources of Alcala's movements and his crimes, and will post it as soon as I can.)

Definitely looks a lot alike, punklove. Worth calling that one in.

The problem is the timeline. The girls disappeared from Ft. Worth on December 23, 1974 and Alcala had been arrested two months before, in October, in Huntington Beach, attempting to kidnap the 13-year old girl known as "Julie J." in court records. He was held on a parole violation and charged with providing marijuana to a minor. He was later convicted and returned to prison until 1977 (I'm trying to find the exact release date). I assume he wasn't eligible for bail in October, but given the incredibly lax justice system in California in the 1970's when it came to violent criminals, perhaps that's not a given.

Another possibility: he could have traveled to Ft. Worth and met Rachel in the time between his August, 1974 release from prison and the October arrest, took the photo, and left. It would be incredibly ironic if she later met with foul play at the hands of someone else entirely in December.

(I am trying to put together an exact timeline from various sources of Alcala's movements and his crimes, and will post it as soon as I can.)

I agree, I don't think we can assume he wasn't out on bail. But if he wasn't -- I dunno. The similarity is so strong I think it would be better to send it in and let LE figure out how it could have happened :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB