Poll for the Armchair Psychologists

What Psychological Disorder do you think Jodi may have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think that was it. They had her in a sleeping bag or something and someone was putting a lot of weight on her. She said she couldn't breathe, and they laughed and ridiculed her. Truly pathetic.

Then came along Nancy Thomas...with some IMO cruel ideas. I was shocked at the number of people that adopted her ideas in their own homes with children they claimed to love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I think that was it. They had her in a sleeping bag or something and someone was putting a lot of weight on her. She said she couldn't breathe, and they laughed and ridiculed her. Truly pathetic.
How horrible.

Yes, here is the story:

Two psychotherapists were convicted today of reckless child abuse of the death of a 10-year-old girl who suffocated during a controversial "rebirthing" session.

Jurors deliberated for more than five hours before convicting Connell Watkins, 54, and Julie Ponder, 40, in the death of Candace Newmaker. During the April 18, 2000 session, Candace was being treated for reactive attachment disorder, a condition where children avoid forming loving relationships and often become disruptive and violent.

During the session, Candace was supposed to force her way out of a blanket, becoming "reborn" to form a bond with her adoptive mother.

At the end of the session, Watkins and Ponder unwrapped Candace and found her not breathing. Efforts to revive her failed and medical examiners later determined she died of asphyxiation.

‘I'm Dying!’

A videotape of Candace's "rebirth" was the key evidence prosecutors used at trial. On the tape, Candace is heard crying and pleading with Watkins, Ponder and their two assistants to let her out.

Candace was wrapped in the blanket with large pillows on either side of her.

"I'm dying! … It feels like I'm dying!" Candace cried as Watkins, Ponder and two of their assistants pushed pillows against both sides of the girl to simulate birth contractions.

Candace died the next day.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93512&page=1#.Ua-v_kDU44w

This makes it seem as if attachment therapy is simply dangerous and wrong. (I can see why) But what would they suggest then as an alternative? (not being snarky---really want to know)

I think it depends a lot on the age of the child.

I just looked up EMDR because not being in the world of therapy, I had never heard of it. Now, I do recall years ago a friend telling me her therapist used it. If it is as effective as you say, then I do hope it becomes required treatment and recognized and favored by insurance companies.

Here is a great link ... Just scroll down a bit and read the boldest parts if ya wanna just skim

http://www.emdr.com/general-information/clinical-applications.html

Great read,
http://www.villagecounseling.net/emdr.shtml

My own son was only 4!

who posted this?
Here in the US we claim to love children, but we do not provide after school activities, adequate child care; we vilify poor single mothers if they do not work , but will not provide funds for care. Where I live, they can get funds to go to school for a short while. They can get a job then with terrible hours and no transportation to get to the job. Finding overnight care is almost impossible

Some want to get mental health care for a child, but cannot because there is no way to get the child to the clinic. No transportation and no time off from work.

I know I talk about parental responsibility. I do not mean the material things, but rather the parents own shortcomings as far as loving a child.

A poor parent can love a child but not be able to provide for healthcare and other things that impact well being.

A rich parent may provide material goods, but no love.

I know people do not want to hear personal experiences, but to me this is so important.

I worked with poor families who were concerned about their abilities to provide the overabundance of material goods America provides .

We talked about childhood memories. What everyone remembers is the time parents spent with the child. Not material goods.

This is my passion. I had a good life and my children and grandchildren have a good life so far.

I want everyone to have a good life.

And we can help that to happen for sure!

I can't recall-- altho I saved the above to refer to. I have seen far too many women become mothers before they were fully mature/developed women themselves. This is what I see as a big problem. You don't need vast wealth to become a mother but I think you do need to grow up and become your own person before becoming responsible for raising a human being. I had 2 women friends years ago who were so sad they could not get pregnant. then they finally did get pregnant & they gave birth - and guess what - ? - they were mothers of newborns and they then complained all the time about lack of sleep. they were sad about their lack of sleep and free time. as a teacher i saw this often - besides having these 2 friends describe it. i tell women --and men--when you decide to become a parent, you take on a job with no pay and no days off that is 24/7 and will last at least 20 years. and your needs will now come LAST. how many prospective parents actually think this is the way it will be?

who posted this?
Here in the US we claim to love children, but we do not provide after school activities, adequate child care; we vilify poor single mothers if they do not work , but will not provide funds for care. Where I live, they can get funds to go to school for a short while. They can get a job then with terrible hours and no transportation to get to the job. Finding overnight care is almost impossible

Some want to get mental health care for a child, but cannot because there is no way to get the child to the clinic. No transportation and no time off from work.

I know I talk about parental responsibility. I do not mean the material things, but rather the parents own shortcomings as far as loving a child.

A poor parent can love a child but not be able to provide for healthcare and other things that impact well being.

A rich parent may provide material goods, but no love.

I know people do not want to hear personal experiences, but to me this is so important.

I worked with poor families who were concerned about their abilities to provide the overabundance of material goods America provides .

We talked about childhood memories. What everyone remembers is the time parents spent with the child. Not material goods.

This is my passion. I had a good life and my children and grandchildren have a good life so far.

I want everyone to have a good life.

And we can help that to happen for sure!

I can't recall-- altho I saved the above to refer to. I have seen far too many women become mothers before they were fully mature/developed women themselves. This is what I see as a big problem. You don't need vast wealth to become a mother but I think you do need to grow up and become your own person before becoming responsible for raising a human being. I had 2 women friends years ago who were so sad they could not get pregnant. then they finally did get pregnant & they gave birth - and guess what - ? - they were mothers of newborns and they then complained all the time about lack of sleep. they were sad about their lack of sleep and free time. as a teacher i saw this often - besides having these 2 friends describe it. i tell women --and men--when you decide to become a parent, you take on a job with no pay and no days off that is 24/7 and will last at least 20 years. and your needs will now come LAST. how many prospective parents actually think this is the way it will be?
Yes, there is this side to it, too. And has nothing to do with oppression or poverty:

My sisters (both have MAs and professional husbands) were competitive and when one sister got pregnant at 33, the other had to, too---and then this was repeated a few years later.

Yet with 4 kids between them now they constantly complain, do not want to make necessary sacrifices, and one had an affair and ruined her marriage (which will effect the kids big time)---the other out-sources to sitters and tutors and tries to get away as much as possible.

Children should not be seen as accoutrements or luxury items or trophies: It is serious work to be a good parent, and it is SACRIFICE which too many were not raised with as a concept. All my nieces have had serious problems and this is a lesson : The educated and well-to-do have their OWN form of neglect and believe me, it affects children deeply.

I'm sure it's already been posted but the news is JA's DT is now pursuing the mental health angle; that JA has BPD and it's cruel to execute a mentally ill person, asking the prosecutor to take the DP off the table.

DT specifically said they are not "negotiating" for anything, just the DP should come off the table.

DT specifically said they are not "negotiating" for anything, just the DP should come off the table.
Well, I have mixed feelings about the DP. But as Arizona does in fact execute persons for murder, I thought Arias was well prepared and complacent regarding it. I would not want a "weak woman" stunt pulled here: Notwithstanding my deep sympathy for all that can go wrong with a person which might lead to the act of murder. I don't think it should be taken off the table. But that is MOO.

The difficulty for the DT is that although angry OUTBURST are symptomatic, planning to kill someone for a week is definitely not. BPD does not = insanity (as in right v. wrong).

If Jodi really is a Borderline, she's REALLY going to wish for the DP compared to living in solitary confinement, that would truly be her worst nightmare. imo

The difficulty for the DT is that although angry OUTBURST are symptomatic, planning to kill someone for a week is definitely not. BPD does not = insanity (as in right v. wrong).

If Jodi really is a Borderline, she's REALLY going to wish for the DP compared to living in solitary confinement, that would truly be her worst nightmare. imo
Well, she as much acknowledged this herself. So why is the DT doing this at all? Or is it just a formality? Would she really be living in solitary, though, if she got a life sentence?

From your link above it states that in the Twins study there were substantial hereditable traits regarding criminality.

In other words, criminal behavior was seen to be inherited in some cases.

It's good to temper opinions that it's all about bad parenting when clearly studies prove it is also inherited.

So that being said, there are great parents that have children who seem to be born with devious/negative temperment/behaviors that are not learned and are not the parents fault. It happens; I've seen it.

No easy answers, are there??!!

moo

If we disregard personal experience we neglecting a huge piece of the human condition. Theory alone and with the best of intent does not equate for the voice of the oppressed or marginalized people. Theory does not always provide the insight to identify the complex issues of individuals. I've shard my own experience only with the hope to educate and support. Utopian ideology falls flat when applied to real life. Broken people do not always rally to the support of those that wish to assist them. We need to tread carefully when we try impose the right of humans to reproduce. I've shared life details with many of you on thread. My life has taken me to those of minority and/or margins of society. Native aboriginal people and women are personal focal points Women are often stigmatized on multiple levels even in 2013. Mine is not a place that many would want to stake claim. LOL if anyone can benefit from my experience. Then the hurdles i have and continue to face were worth every it. Suffering may be the human condition, but what we do with that suffering is what makes use humane.

From your link above it states that in the Twins study there were substantial hereditable traits regarding criminality.

In other words, criminal behavior was seen to be inherited in some cases.

It's good to temper opinions that it's all about bad parenting when clearly studies prove it is also inherited.

So that being said, there are great parents that have children who seem to be born with devious/negative temperment/behaviors that are not learned and are not the parents fault. It happens; I've seen it.

No easy answers, are there??!!

moo

No, there are no easy answers. ;)

Just to be clear about my particular post and the researcher's claims whom I was referencing:

The genetic behaviorist I was quoting states implicitly that twin studies do not show inheritance of criminality: What they show are inheritance of impulsiveness and fearlessness----traits which parents have a responsibility to guide to good end.

Just so it is not misinterpreted. :)

No, there are no easy answers. ;)

Just to be clear about my particular post and the researcher's claims whom I was referencing:

The genetic behaviorist I was quoting states implicitly that twin studies do not show inheritance of criminality: What they show are inheritance of impulsiveness and fearlessness----traits which parents have a responsibility to guide to good end.

Just so it is not misinterpreted. :)

Maybe we comprehend things differently? Anywhoo, I copied/pastied your post (#1134):The Childhood Psychopath: Bad Seed or Bad Parents?
Born or Made? Theories of Psychopathy

According to behavioral geneticist Dr. David Lykken, psychopaths are set apart. They differ in temperament from other children and are at greater risk for delinquency. He has looked at the statistics on juvenile crime and concludes that only a few children with antisocial tendencies were born with such a predisposition. They are fearless and probably have a weak behavioral inhibition system.

However, Lykken contends that most antisocial behaviors in children are caused by poor parenting—absent fathers and inadequate mothers who fail to properly socialize their child. Perhaps the child frustrates them or perhaps their parenting skills are subnormal. Either way, the child acts out. Lykken calls these children sociopaths and he believes that we can decrease their numbers with better social skills.

He does acknowledge the twin studies that support the view that criminality has a substantial heritability factor, but claims that traits like fearlessness, aggressiveness, and sensation seeking, all of which contribute to antisocial behavior, can be properly channeled toward better things. It is up to parents to do this, and where parenting fails, the child with those traits may express them through violence. In other words, in his opinion, even the child most prone to psychopathy via inherited traits can be guided through good parenting toward using those traits in prosocial ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther