Possible Victim: Shannan Gilbert #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange 911 call.......the operator keeps asking her for information but shes being vague......she sounded out of it mentally imo. Shes not crying or yelling for her life on the phone from what ive heard on this call, but I could be way off & wrong, just giving my opinion from what ive heard.

I wonder why it took this many years to release this 911 recording?

Strange 911 call.......the operator keeps asking her for information but shes being vague......she sounded out of it mentally imo. Shes not crying or yelling for her life on the phone from what ive heard on this call, but I could be way off & wrong, just giving my opinion from what ive heard.

I wonder why it took this many years to release this 911 recording?
I have to agree. She did sound out of it and you can hear both Pak and Brewer trying to get through to her without any success. Same with Coletti. She is screaming, at random points, but those screams seem to be random and not associated with any known danger. We know Pak was trailing her for a bit to try and get her in the car, so maybe that's why? Super scattered and incoherent, IMO.

My goodness. Listening to the call is unsettling. IMO something was a catalyst for her reaction to the situation. At times she sounded coherent and others not so much. Whatever that trigger was it likely caused her death. When looking at the map of where she was running, it is still hard to tell why and how she ended in the marsh area. It was pitch dark. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't she remove most of her clothing along the way? Something else I can't fully wrap my head around. Maybe it is just me but I am still not sure why the 911 calls needed to be held in secrecy for so long.

I have never been more convinced that the SCPD has provided accurate information about this case since day one. There is also, in my opinion, absolutely no evidence on this audio that JB/MP were trying to harm her or threatened her, etc. As a matter of fact, they both sounded at times, truly confused as to why she's acting this way (MP can clearly be heard saying "you're freaking me out" at one point).

With this said, the real interesting thing about this call is more with respect to attorney John Ray. He has stated for years that the SCPD synopsis of this phone call was 'outrageously false'. But, I have to be honest, I think the SCPD summary of this call was absolutely spot on. Shannan did not sound frantic at all. Disturbed, sure. But she is alarmingly calm for someone who is in danger. She sounds like someone on a bad psychedelic trip, or perhaps having a true psychotic break. Nevertheless, really unbelievable that we finally can hear this audio, after over a decade.

That I have now listened to someone’s last known words is a lot to digest and though I don’t know what to make of the call, I do not believe that Shannan entered the marsh alone. I am angry that Michael Pak abandoned her to save his own butt and I hope that haunts him every day for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that Shannan did not die in that marsh! She was placed there! The reason I say this is because the place where she was found was searched multiple times by police, canines, police cadets and the FBI Blackhawk helicopter. As a matter of fact, I have a picture of the FBI Blackhawk helicopter directly over the spot where her body was found. If her body was there on the day the Blackhawk helicopter was over that spot, it would have been picked up by the hyperspectral camera onboard! And if her body was there the entire time, it would have been found by the multiple police, canines and police cadets that searched that location on several different occasions! Her body was dumped there, 20 feet off the Ocean Parkway at a later date.

Sounded like a bipolar psychosis episode to me. She had previously stopped taking her meds and had been awake for more than 24 hours. The episode could have been triggered by her lack of sleep. No one knows what she was thinking when she ran into the marsh. It's likely that they weren't logical thoughts.

Why did it take this long to release this 911 call ? I don't understand. All this rumor and speculation about Brewer and Pak could have been put to bed years ago . It's infuriating.

Has anyone posted a transcript of this yet ?

Last edited:
Why did it take this long to release this 911 call ? I don't understand. All this rumor and speculation about Brewer and Pak could have been put to bed years ago .

I think it raises more questions than it answers. This girl, knowing she was stoned and engaging in illicit activity, was still alarmed enough to call 911 and ask them to trace her whereabouts, to come and get her. Pak and Brewer both knew that anything they said during the 911 call would be heard by police later, their remarks have to be considered through that filter. And to me, they sound staged, particularly Pak. In their opening statement, the police make a point of stating that Pak and Brewer didn't know one another; Brewer, in Ray's deposition, took the fifth on that question (and others). Maybe Brewer had watched too many episodes of Law and Order, and didn't much care if rumors and speculations were put to bed.

Off topic, but Barbara Brennan, what a peach, huh? She seems nice, suburban shades of Kitty Genovese.

I think it raises more questions than it answers. This girl, knowing she was stoned and engaging in illicit activity, was still alarmed enough to call 911 and ask them to trace her whereabouts, to come and get her. Pak and Brewer both knew that anything they said during the 911 call would be heard by police later, their remarks have to be considered through that filter. And to me, they sound staged, particularly Pak. In their opening statement, the police make a point of stating that Pak and Brewer didn't know one another; Brewer, in Ray's deposition, took the fifth on that question (and others). Maybe Brewer had watched too many episodes of Law and Order, and didn't much care if rumors and speculations were put to bed.

Off topic, but Barbara Brennan, what a peach, huh? She seems nice, suburban shades of Kitty Genovese.

I don't interpret any of this the way you do, PreciousDust. I've only listened through it once. With that said, what I hear is a young woman CLEARLY in some kind of drug induced or mentally disturbed state, a client who is trying to get her to leave his home, and a driver who is absolutely confused by her behavior. JMO

As for Barbara Brennan, I have no opinion of her whatsoever, but I can certainly put myself in her shoes in this situation and understand her fear of opening the door. Again, JMO.

Right, MKat, on both counts we disagree, utterly and completely. But that's what makes horse races, or different ice cream flavors.

With this said, the real interesting thing about this call is more with respect to attorney John Ray. He has stated for years that the SCPD synopsis of this phone call was 'outrageously false'. But, I have to be honest, I think the SCPD summary of this call was absolutely spot on.

Spot-on sure is a stretch. Agree to disagree here. As she repeatedly says someone is after her & going to kill her, which means she feared for her life to me. Regardless of why... If anything, the blood-curdling screams at the 17 min. mark definitely disprove the detective who wrote an open letter in Newsday stating:

"At no time during this call was she desperate. From what I heard on the call, Gilbert was not speaking as if she were in danger."

I am impressed with the fact that so many people on this site can determine from listening to an audio recording, that SG was either in a drug induced breakdown, and or a psychotic state, or having a mental episode. Most medical practitioners take many hours to diagnose what is really going on with a patient.

Agreed a lot of what she said does not make sense.

I have to believe, someone at the SCPD heard something on the call that they did not want the public to hear. Could it be 'they are trying to kill me'?

All I know for sure Shannan said that someone was trying to kill her, and she ended up dead.

I am impressed with the fact that so many people on this site can determine from listening to an audio recording, that SG was either in a drug induced breakdown, and or a psychotic state, or having a mental episode. Most medical practitioners take many hours to diagnose what is really going on with a patient.

Agreed a lot of what she said does not make sense.

I have to believe, someone at the SCPD heard something on the call that they did not want the public to hear. Could it be 'they are trying to kill me'?

All I know for sure Shannan said that someone was trying to kill her, and she ended up dead.

Making an official diagnosis and realizing that someone is off are two different things. You don't need to be a psychiatrist to know that she wasn't making much sense.

And why was LE taking great measures to prevent this from being heard by the public?

Perhaps preventing its release was less about evidence about what happened to SG are more about embarrassment regarding a mishandling of the situation by 911 operators and police. When we hear GC's call, he mentions a 14-year old girl in danger, and it still took police a while to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆