Post sentencing discussion and the upcoming appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Pistorius planning a basketball programme for other prisoners .. oh god, here we go .. the prison PR campaign has started .. make out you're such a nice guy so they let you out early. Why does he think he needs to plan a programme for other prisoners anyway? Does he think they never managed before without him? Effing control freak.

"the gold medallist is having to ask visitors to Kgosi Mampuru prison to donate loose change so he can buy tins of pilchard or baked beans".

Oh please, I would bet my house that Oscar has a nice little balance sitting in his account to purchase whatever they have for sale at that prison. Including extra $$$ to "buy" additional items they "don't even advertise for sale".

He DOES NOT ask "visitors for loose change" to buy a can of beans or pilchard (sardines?).

Good grief! What a joke!

Link: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/oscar-pistorius-relying-donations-buy-baked-beans-prison-1477517

cottonweaver - the family are incapable of showing solidarity for OP privately. It has to be done in public so we can all witness what a wonderful and supportive family they are. Puke. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Uncle A was asking for privacy so the family could 'heal'? As for the helium balloon going off, I wonder if OP got a "startle". Hmm. Carl didn't even consider that making a joke of a gun going off might be a bit insensitive. I shouldn't be surprised any more, but I do still get caught out!

"the gold medallist is having to ask visitors to Kgosi Mampuru prison to donate loose change so he can buy tins of pilchard or baked beans".

Oh please, I would bet my house that Oscar has a nice little balance sitting in his account to purchase whatever they have for sale at that prison. Including extra $$$ to "buy" additional items they "don't even advertise for sale".

He DOES NOT ask "visitors for loose change" to buy a can of beans or pilchard (sardines?).

Good grief! What a joke!

Link: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/oscar-pistorius-relying-donations-buy-baked-beans-prison-1477517
Oh God. I don't believe that for a second. Now OP is a poor beggar??

What rubbish. As if his rich family would let him beg for anything!!!!

While the application for leave to appeal is drawing closer, it’s important to keep faith in the SA justice system.

The J Arthur Brown trial has nothing to do with that of OP, however how the justice system operates certainly does.

This case was about South Africa’s largest Ponzi scheme, money laundering, fraud, and corruption related to Brown’s group of companies. It dragged on for 6 years following his arrest. He only pleaded guilty to two fraud charges.

The High Court initially turned down the prosecution’s attempts to jail him for 15 years because its evidence during the trial was unconvincing, and Brown was only convicted on his admissions of guilt.

When Dawood Seedat was called to the stand to testify in aggravation of sentence, the judge was moved to accuse the state of botching its case. The judge said that had Seedat been called as the first witness, he might not have accepted Brown’s plea.

“The prosecution argued that this, together with Brown’s guilty admissions was enough to send Brown to jail for a long time”. However the judge disregarded the evidence and focused on the admissions, resulting in an inappropriate sentence, according to the NPA. The judge took issue with the admissions, but wrongly raised them with the prosecution instead of the defence, the prosecution argued.

“Today, the Supreme Court of Appeal overturned Brown’s suspended sentence and a fine of R150 000 for the charges”.

The executive officer of the Financial Services Board, said the previous sentence did not acknowledge the severity of Brown’s crime and the significant impact his actions had on thousands of poor South Africans.

He said, “We are extremely pleased that the court has recognised this and instead decided to impose a custodial sentence of 15 years for each of the two counts for which he was charged. This is a great day for South Africa’s justice system and for our citizens. It shows that no matter who you are, if you break the law, you will be prosecuted – and sentenced appropriately.”

http://www.citypress.co.za/business/j-arthur-brown-got-appropriate-sentence/

I’m hoping that if and when the appeal takes place, we’ll hear a Court of Appeal judgment that reflects these sentiments too.

Well, I know of nothing else to do now but pray that next Tuesday's 'leave to appeal' gets the thumbs up. I think it will. How could Masipa dare not? As for the above latest posts re Pistorius family.....they are all, every one of them, a very weird and disgusting lot of people! What, in the name of God, is wrong with them to continue on like this?

...and just in case he ever again forgets where he plugs things in......no more excuses! He could knock this together in the carpentry section of :jail:
in between basketball coaching of the other 7000 inmates who, in return could donate all their tins of baked beans so that Oscar doesn't have to rely on donations to buy them......Oh, and his pilchards too!

http://www.awesomeinventions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/hidden-plug-socket.jpg

I've downloaded a copy of You South Africa 2 May 2013, with the Christo Menelaou interview. Here are a few extracts not in the sample pdf, which only has 3 of the 8 pages.

For the past year or so he's lived just a stone's throw from the runner, about 200m away.

But Oscar still wanted to move to Johannesburg because most of his sponsors were there and he had to go there often for meetings.

And of course it was a bonus that Reeva lived there. "He said the house would be perfect for the two of them, then she could possibly live with him. Previously she could stay over at his place only about twice a week because it was so far to drive."

Sunday 10 February

He [OP] invited Christo to join him, Reeva and Martyn Rooney ... on a drive to a nearby hardware store. Reeva wanted candelabra to brighten up a wall on the stoep side beside Oscar's Jacuzzi and he wanted to have a new piece of glass cut for a broken window in the house."

She was the first girlfriend Oscar was so openly affectionate with, Christo says.

It was love at first sight for the couple. They met last November at a function at Killarney race track and Oscar later told Christo the first time he saw her he knew she was the woman for him.

He and Samantha were still together then, although their relationship was troubled. But they broke up the following day and that evening Reeva appeared with him for the first time at the South African Sports Awards.

Tuesday 12 February

"Oscar showed me what his schedule looked like for the year." ... Christo asked if Reeva would accompany him [overseas].

"He said it didn't really matter because she understood. Sometimes she'd go along, then come home, because she was also busy."

"Oscar told me he'd have to start trimming his expenses because he only had five or six years of athletics left. He reckoned it would be a good idea to have Frankie cook for him rather than to keep buying Woolworths meals."

Wednesday 13 February

Christo bumped into Reeva at Oscar's place on the afternoon of the last day of her life. She was removing cushion covers in his braai room so they could be washed. She was excited about Valentine's Day the following day.

"Reeva said she was going to prepare a great breakfast for Oscar and just spread a blanket for a picnic. ... But the following morning the yoghurt, cooked chicken breasts and cheeses she'd bought were still in the fridge."

Reeva told Christo that Oscar had spoken that week on the phone to her parents for the first time and it felt like he'd known them for years. He was totally relaxed with them.

After Reeva's death

Christo says Frankie was traumatised, especially because in his outside room at the house he'd heard nothing that night. "It bothered him a lot and he tended to cry a lot initially." (Frankie still lives on the property).

There's more, particularly about Christo's disbelief about some of the things that have been reported about OP.

I simply don't believe he heard nothing.

Loud screaming like a woman, 2 sets of bangs. Fully 10mins of action yet he doesn't turn up on the scene?

I simply don't believe he heard nothing.

Loud screaming like a woman, 2 sets of bangs. Fully 10mins of action yet he doesn't turn up on the scene?
I guess it's possible when you think how little the Nhlengethwas heard and they were actually closer to OP's bedroom and bathroom whereas Frankie's rooms IIRC are downstairs on the front left hand side of the house with no connecting door. But something woke him as he was outside with the security guards when the Standers arrived.

Wednesday 13 February

Christo bumped into Reeva at Oscar's place on the afternoon of the last day of her life. She was removing cushion covers in his braai room so they could be washed. She was excited about Valentine's Day the following day.

"Reeva said she was going to prepare a great breakfast for Oscar and just spread a blanket for a picnic. ... But the following morning the yoghurt, cooked chicken breasts and cheeses she'd bought were still in the fridge."

Reeva told Christo that Oscar had spoken that week on the phone to her parents for the first time and it felt like he'd known them for years. He was totally relaxed with them.

~rsbm~

BBM .. why would she have said that? As I understood it, she wasn't planning to stay overnight plus also she had to get back to J'burg to give her speech .. so why would she have been planning to have a Valentine's Day breakfast/picnic? The only thing that we knew for sure about her cooking anything for OP was that she said in a whatsapp message that she would cook for him on the Thursday (Valentine's) evening, so presumably she had planned on going home on the evening of the 13th (having stayed over the previous night .. the 12th), do her speech at the school in J'burg on the 14th, then go back to his place later on that day to cook him the VDay meal. (Also, I'm trying work out where .. in that schedule that we know about of hers .. did Pistorius plan to take her to the jewellery store? He did say he was going to take her there on VDay, didn't he .. yet she would not have had time for that in her schedule .. so either he didn't bother taking any of her plans into account or he is just lying completely .. and I'm pretty sure which one of the two it was!)

Also .. what on earth is a 'braai' room? I need to look that one up! .. and why on earth would she be faffing about removing cushion covers for washing in a relationship that is only 3 months old, fgs?

.. and another thing ..!

How was that the first time OP had spoken to her parents, then? He had spoken with Reeva's mother on the phone on at least one previous occasion .. i.e. the time when he was speeding in the car and scaring Reeva, so Reeva phoned her mum and passed the phone over to Pistorius, and June gave him a right old ticking off!

I guess it's possible when you think how little the Nhlengethwas heard and they were actually closer to OP's bedroom and bathroom whereas Frankie's rooms IIRC are downstairs on the front left hand side of the house with no connecting door. But something woke him as he was outside with the security guards when the Standers arrived.

Once again we have to say that anything is possible. However I don't believe for a minute that he heard nothing. He was originally prepared to give the police a statement but later told them he'd heard nothing because he'd been asleep. The "something" that woke him must have been quite significant for him to get dressed quickly and be out the front of the house with the guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500