Post your PROFILE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, she wasn't purposefully staged. Her headless and limpless body climbed alone on a pile of sticks, just on a whim ...
And who told you dismemberment is a sign of disorganization? To dismember a body, you need a place and tools, you need to transport a body to the dismemberment site in the fist place. Those are all signs of organization. Even more, dismemberment clearly states, he spent time with the victims. The longer the time a SK spends with his victims, the higher we can assume the degree of organization.
And then you go and count the fact, the bodies weren't buried as sign of low organization? Shallow hasty dug graves are the hallmark of disorganizes SKs. Putting them intentionally in someones way is a much higher degree. Compare Otis Toole for an example of a low organized killer.
I wonder, if you would tell us your Alma Mater, just to make sure nobody interested in forensic psychology enlists accidentally there.

The conclusions that I have come to regarding this case were reached by careful study. I will no more go into vivid detail about the whys and wherefores and hows of how I came to these conclusions than I would go into detail about items on a psychological assessment. My assumptions are made upon examination of behavioral cues present in this case and in other similar cases/offenders. I examine cases with a focus on behaviors of the individual case, behaviors/offenders of similar cases, statistical inference, deductive logic, and common sense. I do not try to fit offenders into typologies, as even the creators of these typologies have often bespoke the fact that very seldom does any offender fit perfectly within typological guidelines.

:waiting:

Did some of you forget how to use the alert button today? And instead decided to take matters in your own hands? That needs to stop now.

And if someone posts as a professional and you don't see them on the professional posters list, please direct them to the area of the forum linked below so they know the steps in getting verified. Every poster claiming to be a professional must be verified by administration OR provide links to their facts.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126206"]Professional Posters & Verified Locals / Insiders *MAIN PAGE* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

:what::blushing::blushing::blushing::jail:

......sorry i was just trying to be helpful...

Hello Marsha,

I would like your feedback on the decision to display for attention the second manorville dismemberment victim, Jessica Taylor. For the first time, just yesterday I went to the 2 locations where these 2 sets of remains were deposited. (pictures from yesterday are attached)

With the first victim there was more effort to hide the remains within the woods near the intersection of Mill Road and Halsey Manor Rd.

The second victim Jessica Taylor, was deposited 3 years later and only 1000 feet away from the first. After my experience yesterday, I have no doubt that the killer was more confident in using the area and made a conscious decision to display his gruesome act, seemingly for attention.

I believe that the killer wisely chose Mill Rd. because he wouldn't be seen by anyone there in the middle of the night and that in a shallow grave of growth, brush, leaves, etc. the remains wouldn't likely be found for at least a few days, if not weeks or months. Then in 2003 he decides there really is no one around this area in the middle of the night so it is a great place to unload, but I want people to see what I did to this victim.

Actually, I need to add the possibility, and my entire post may now be moot, the dirt trails/dirt roads off of Mill Rd. that have been utilized by 4x4 trucks look to be intentionally blocked by large logs or trees. The killer may simply have come back to this location thinking he could drive into the woods a bit and dump the remains only to realize that he could no longer drive off the road into any of the trails so in a panic used the service road to the sump.

yes truth i saw that today that the trails for trucks were blocked with huge logs,i wish i new you were heading out my way i would have met up with you!i do work in that area sometimes and today was the day day!

The conclusions that I have come to regarding this case were reached by careful study. I will no more go into vivid detail about the whys and wherefores and hows of how I came to these conclusions than I would go into detail about items on a psychological assessment. My assumptions are made upon examination of behavioral cues present in this case and in other similar cases/offenders. I examine cases with a focus on behaviors of the individual case, behaviors/offenders of similar cases, statistical inference, deductive logic, and common sense. I do not try to fit offenders into typologies, as even the creators of these typologies have often bespoke the fact that very seldom does any offender fit perfectly within typological guidelines.

Fine by me. I do those things since years. The point still amazing me is, that your deductive logic somehow, in a way, I can't follow, concluded, that JT's limbless and headless torso wrapped itself in a bag and climbed on that pile. Aside from the fact, that she was dead, I imagine that pretty hard without limbs.
So, under careful consideration of behavioral traits, we can assume, this is not the usual behavior of dead body parts. Ergo, it is much more likely, said torso was wrapped by the killer and also placed on that pile. So, what does placing a torso in plain sight, with extra effort to raise the visibility mean in behavioral terms? That the unsub wanted his work to be found. To know that, is first semester stuff. As doctorate, you should be able to see those details in a second before the first coffee. Ignoring significant details never ever produced an accurate profile.

OK, here's my theory. Some of you probably know this already, but for those of you who don't...

Our SK lives in Manorville, close to the dump site (within 3-4 miles). He's a duck hunter and a long-time, active member of a certain Waterfowlers Association. Through this association, he's familiar with Cedar Beach given their annual duckboat festival held every year at Cedar Beach, and at Gilgo Beach in 2000. This Association also practices shooting shotgun at a shooting range next to the Manorville dump site.

He is a meticulous and professional hunter, almost to the point of obsession, and he takes great pride in his duck hunting abilities. These abilities include concealment using burlap camo and luring ducks to his killing fields using duck calls and his expertly painted decoys.

He stands out as a leader among these hunters. He doesn't really have a 9-5 job, and he makes money doing odds and ends, like landscaping, which is why he's intimately familiar with the Manorville dump site near the sump. He's illegally dumped branches from yard clearings before. He even chose to throw JT's body on a pile of sticks dumped by a landscaper - this pile of sticks was possibly even dumped by himself. Illegal dumping is kind of his thing. If he wasn't intimately familiar with this very specific area of Manorville, it would have been impossible for him to be able to find it a second time in 2003, especially if it was dark.

He has a typical serial killer family history. He was emotionally torn apart from a broken childhood. He was an only child, his parents are divorced and his father was absent for most of his childhood, staying away from the home as much as possible due to the violent and abusive tendencies of his mother. His mother was abusive and domineering at home and had a set of bizarre rules and punishments that she learned from her mother.

His mother herself was abused by her mother, who was also abused as a child. The history of family abuse ran the gamut - mental, physical and sexual. He idolized a non-father male relative (also a duck hunter, I'm guessing). This person died suddenly and prematurely, and he came to blame a woman for his untimely death. He became the hunter, both literally and figuratively, and he subconsiusly seeks to avenge his male role model by hurting a certain type of woman - someone who uses sex as a way to make money. This vengeance somehow fills the emotional void that he still experiences today.

He has a history of non-traditional sexual behavior, primarily experimenting with homosexuality, crossdressing, sex with transvetites, prostitutes and maybe even bestiality or S&M. His sexual tendencies lead him to NYC on occasion where he can shop for exotic *advertiser censored* and hang out in video booths where he can meet his sexual needs away from his family and without being noticed or out of the ordinary.

He occasionally picks up prostitutes from the street, but given his lack of financial resources he usually just fantasizes about picking them up and killing them so he doesn't have to pay for sex. He mostly just wants to show these "*advertiser censored*" what a man he's become, but really inside he's still a 13 year old kid who's emotional maturity was stunted by his completely screwed up family.

He started with Jane Doe 2000. He met her in NYC, killed her in his car by strangulation and drove her back to where he was comfortable - in Marorville, back by the power lines where noone would see him as he dismembered her like a duck.

The initial act of murder was not premeditated, rather he just acted on an impulse and lived out his fantasy. He dismembered her on-the-fly because he was worried about her identification. He knew he had somehow left a trail, and he didn't want anyone to know that some girl from NYC ended up dead in his hometown / hunting spot. Perhaps his wife knew he was in NYC that day. Perhaps he was worried about using EZ-Pass through the Midtown tunnel, and was worried about security cameras. I think it's likely that in order to "cover" for where he was that night, he told his wife that he went to scout some bird hunting areas down by the beach for his upcoming hunt in November. He had actually in fact been down to Cedar Beach that night, but it wasn't to scout - it was to discard JD2000's head and hands in the bushes. He knew these bushes were impenetrable because he'd spent time in the Cedar Beach parking lot at the annual duckboat show.

He reflected on the whole experience and sexually fantasized about it for years. He returned to Cedar Beach in 2001 and 2002 and, as he stared into the bushes, he realized he'd committed a crime that was extremely difficult to solve, if anyone even cared to solve it at all.

It wasn't until 2003 when he committed his first premeditated murder. He planned much more carefully. He had the dismemberment site planned out. He had the dump sites in Manorville and Cedar Beach all planned out. He had the pickup spot planned out - the same general area in NYC where he found JD2000. He had the kill site in NYC planned out.

After Jessica Taylor, he stopped killing for awhile. He felt the heat this time. It was on the news, it was the talk of the town, they quickly discovered her identity. He slowed way down, paid more attention to his family, and he especially paid more attention to his hobby/sport.

Sometime between 2003 and 2005 or so, he runs across the UID woman and Baby Doe. Same M.O. for pickup spot, kill site and dismemberment site - different dump site because she's African American, and he's racist although not so much when it comes to sex and murder. Next up: the Asian male, picked up somewhere in NYC. The thought of dismembering someone of the same sex disgusts him, so he just dumps the entire body. He doesn't want to, but he uses the same dump site because it just works. It's a revelation, because here's when he comes to realize that he doesn't need to dismember at all.

I'll note that it is possible that he went on a murder spree in Atlantic City during a month-long scouting/hunting trip in October/November 2006 in one of the finest waterfowl hunting areas in the world, Absecon Bay. Seeing that he annually attends a NJ duck show, its quite possible that he planned this trip for some time, and he brought with him his nasty little sickness.

If it wasn't him in 2006 in Atlantic City, then it wasn't until 2007 that his fantasies started in earnest again. He needed to alleviate his emotional emptiness. He'd finally become somewhat adept at using the Internet, possibly from having to set up his computer for a teen child, or from having to reinstall everything due to viruses from surfing *advertiser censored*. His extent of computer literacy is really limited to just checking his duck hunting sites, his e-mail and Craigslist.

Because he lacks financial resources, he constantly uses Craigslist to buy and sell stuff, mostly hunting gear. He also uses it as a way to find work, mostly odd jobs like painting, yard work and handy-man type home repair. He frequently tries to get odd jobs in NYC. He can't stay away from sex ads - they're better than *advertiser censored* - his fantasies continue as he begins to plan his next murder. He's graduated from "street" prostitutes and is looking for someone more attractive and not into drugs - more his "type".

He uses a public computer at a car wash, a local hotel or a NYC internet cafe to quickly browse some NYC provider ads. He jots down a number or two that pique his interest. Then he waits. He waits for weeks, maybe even a month or more. Then he calls, when the time is right. He uses a disposable phone that he bought months previously in NYC, probably on the same day that he checked the Craigslist listings. He used cash while wearing a disguise (hat, hoodie and glasses).

The first online victim he chooses is from NYC. He's still using his old basic M.O. He makes the trip to meet up with Maureen in NYC, who he meets and kills in the same spot as JD2000, JT, the Asian male and the UID female. He wraps her in camo burlap that he's had the foresight to bring from his garage - he's planned a full body disposal for the first time. He needs to keep the body hidden from aerial scavengers like crows. He doesn't want them making a scene, and he knows that ducks can't see burlap from the sky. He doesn't really need the camo because hunting season doesn't begin until November. At the kill site in NYC, he puts her in the back of his truck and drives directly from NYC to Cedar Beach, using the 59th St. bridge instead of the tunnel to avoid the cameras and tolls. He doesn't need to dismember her this time because nobody will ever find her. Dismembering is messy and time consuming, and it was always just a forensic countermeasure. It doesn't make any sense to dismember her if he believes she'll never be found anyway.

Hunting season comes in late 2007, and he picks up a lot of burlap this year. It's not out of the ordinary. He's at the apex of his hunting career now. Perhaps he's a professional duck hunting guide, and he needs lots of burlap in case his "city slicker" clients don't have their own when he takes them into the field. He's probably using Advantage 4H-D Camo, or he's buying it virgin by the roll and painting it himself. After all, he's a real hunter, and he's constantly painting decoys for himself and for his hunting pals. Which is part of the reason why they respect him so much - he's such an expert. Only he himself knows that he has another reason for buying so much burlap. He's committed the perfect crime, and he knows he can do it again and again.

He does, once in 2009 and twice in 2010. By 2010, he's decided to avoid going to the city. Too much hassle, too much risk - takes too long. He's choosing women from towns far enough away from Manorville but closer to the dump site to decrease his overall risk. He never seen anything in the news when the girls go missing, so he's not even slightly afraid of choosing Long Island girls. He's even found a kill spot closer to the dump site, perhaps in the Cedar Beach parking lot itself. It only takes a few short minutes to kill anyway. He's returned to the Cedar Beach parking lot dozens of times, both during the day and at night. He knows how to get around the gate. He knows that cops never go there past dark. And he knows that there's noone around to hear a scream. He can take his time, savor the moment. Watch their pain. He loves inflicting physical and emotional pain.

He inflicts physical and emotional pain on women just as the women in his youth inflicted physical and emotional pain upon him. That's why he called Amanda Barthelemy when he found out that Melissa had a cell phone on her as he went through his undressing ritual at the kill site. This was the first time he discovered a cell phone on a victim. The other victims didn't use cell phones because they were street workers. Maureen didn't have one because she was using a pay phone and probably lost her phone when she was robbed. He kept Melissa's phone and decided to torment Amanda as he walked about the city one day search of *advertiser censored* and sex. After Melissa, he was on a mental high - he fel invincible. At the time of the calls to Amanda, he was probably hanging around at his old kill site in NYC to relive those old murders just before he "ducked" into one of those "hole in the wall" video booths after unsuccessfully trolling for street prostitutes. Risky sex is one of the few things that keeps his emotions at bay, and it gives him the high he needs to feel alive - just like hunting, just like murder.

In May 2010, he doesn't realize that Shannan Gilbert has mysteriously disappeared just a few miles from his perfect dump site, so he dumps Megan and Amber there in June and September. Unbeknownst to him, the SCPD was down there - Officer Malia and his dog, Blue. Whether it was a training exercise or they were actually looking for Shannan, who knows. But the bodies were fresh enough that the Blue picked up the scent easily. His perfect dump site was found.

Shannan died of accidental causes, but her death sparked a million different theories. Investigators became sidetracked, and the killer had time and luck on his side. He'd been cautious, and it paid off.

But he's been completely stressed out and depressed since December 2010, possibly having nightmares and wishing he'd been able to stop himself. He's probably considered suicide as an option if the police get near. But he's got a wife and at least one kid. Amongst his hunting pals, he's trying desparately to look like there's nothing amiss. After all, his buddies must think its strange that at least 2 bodies were placed at the exact two locations that they go to every a year - Cedar Beach and Halsey Rd. in Manorville. "What a coincidence!", they must say. But this person fits in so well, he's so respected as a duck hunter and a pal that it doesn't even cross their mind that he's the killer. He's been able to hide his deep dark secret his whole life. He's been able to hide his identity from the police. He's been able to hide his perverse sexuality. In actuality, he's been hiding his past from everyone for his entire life.

Okay, here is my prfile. It's just copy and paste from the Brendt-website. The original is from spring 2011 and I added a little new details in February 2012, as you can see not much. You may notice, that this profile deals with LISK and only with LISK, Manorville is another matter.
I should add, since I didn't update my website, that he is also a left-handed person and that chances are, he will be back at the East Coast about middle of May.
This is part 1 of 2 since the whole is too long for one post ...

Preface
This is an open case. Not the first one, but the first, I offically add to the collection. Earlier profiles in open cases were mostly posted in form of Yahoo comments, for example in the case of the Flint-Stabber Abuelazam. As usual, profiles for open case draw even more upset comments than the other ones and also as usual, when they were later, in the hindsight, right head on, they are not mentioned anymore. Admittedly, that would maybe bother me, if I would do this for recognization. But I don't. So feel free to send my nasty emails, but don't expect me to read them.
This profile is written for the intent and purpose of learning and giving some new thoughts into the ongoing investigation. So generally, any other use of parts of this profile or the whole works demand the written consense of the copyright holders Diane and Peter Brendt. This consent is assumed given for law enforcement using this in an ongoing investigation. Feel free to use it or not.

Victimology
Before we can talk about certain details of the victimology in this case, we have to figure out, which victims are really on account of Long Island II. Including the Atlantic City victims, which mostly were drawn into that mess by the media, we have six groups of victims:

Group one: The first four bodies found. Those were identified as Craiglist prostitutes Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelmy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Group two: Two partial sets of dismembered bodies, Jessica Taylor and Jane-Doe-6, of which the other parts were found near Manorville
Group three: The four Atlantic City victims, which were found in Atlantic City, staged, lying face down, head turned eastwards, without shoes, normally in water canals/sewers near a construction site.
Group four: one dead infant wrapped in a blanket
Group five: one dead Asian male in the late teens or early twenties
Group six: Shannan Gilbert, who was seen fleeing, but was not found yet
<="" li="">

Of course, the attempts first to deny there is any serial killer on the lose and then to say nothing to the public by the Suffolk PD doesn't make the life easier here and so isn't the blockade attitude of the NYPD helping either. Still, the differences are significant enough to make some educated guesses.
We can't say too much about Group six, with Shannan Gilbert as only member. She was seen alive after she fled from John Brewer's house at Oak Beach. She was a Craiglist prostitute (I am aware, the political correct term would be Craigslist escort, but she didn't escort, she sold sex, end of the story) as the four victims in group one. She also had a history of drug abuse, which probably brought her into prostitution just like the four victims in group one. However, the details for group one point out, their killer was not a local of Long Island or rather only for some moths per year. I will come back to that, when I look at group one. But my point is, the man, who killed them lives more likely in New York, than on Long Island, especially as far as the island part is concerned.
Shannan Gilbert was last seen on Long Island, on the island itself, which makes it unlikely, it was the same man. Therefore I dismiss her form this casefile and will at a later time either open a new one or, in case, she became a victim of another serial killer, add her to that file.
[Addendum Dec 2011] In the meantime, since I wrote this profile in July of 2011, Shannan Gilbert's body has been found in the overgrown parts near Oak Beach. Parts of her belongings were strewn out in the vicinity including her purse with her ID in it. So, we don't know yet, was she murdered or not, the results of the ME's examination of the remains are still unknown as of end of December of 2011. The official "guess", and it isn't more than a guess at all, is, she drowned. Which is not as impossible as it sounds, even given the fact, that there is only shallow water around. It's a pretty swampy area there, I hear. However, a lot of other things are possible as well and as long as there is nothing known about the ME's report, I can't be too sure, what it was.
However, there are some details, that should make one think. For example, we can for obvious reasons exclude the idea, she spread out her belongings post-mortem. Dead people don't do such things. We can also forget about any theories, she did it before she died. She was, according to at least one witness, running in a disoriented panic mode. She was running! And while someone is running he may lose some items, but for sure it's hard to pull off your jeans while you're running. Aside of it, there wouldn't be a reson at all. So the conclusion is, she didn't wear them in the first place. And that means, someone felt at least the urge to cover up her death, whether this unknown person has killed her or not. And gain, however, we can see here a different mind at work as in the case of the Long Islang II Killler (aka LISK nowadays by people who have forgotten already about the First Long Island Killer, Joel Rifkin). This cover up is sloppy and shows no imagination, no ritual aspects, not even basic experience in the most low level aspects of forensic countermeasure. Whoever tried this, he surely wasn't an experienced serial killer. This makes the case of Shannan Gilbert unrelated to the four victims found not far from Oak Beach wrapped in burlap. Or in other words, this part, I got already right in the original profile from July of 2011

Group five has also only one member. There is no official identification yet, even, it could well be, the victim is Jimmy Tsui, a student, who disappeared in summer 1998. Decomposition of the body, a complete one, would suggest, he died long before the first of the victims in group one. Time frame, gender and the fact, the body was dropped completely, distinguish this victim from group one and two. Therefore, I dismiss him from this casefile and open a new one as needed.
[Addendum Dec 2011] There is a chance, this person, who was, as was unknown when I wrote the original profile, wearing woman's clothes, worked as male prostitute. Nothing yet is proven, so it's a mere guess. But if so, it would explain, it would make a scenario possible in which the Manorville killer, not the Long Island II killer, would may have caught, what he thought to be a woman and gut uncontrolled out of control when he found out the truth. This would also explain, why he didn't after the kill bother to dismamember the body. The vicitm wasn't right and therefore no trophy. But then, this case file is about Long Island II, not Manorville, so I would come back to this, when I open a file for Manorville.

Group four is the dead infant. Note, all we know from those tight-lipped guys in NJ is, it was probably a girl, a toddler. Not a newborn baby. Children of the age of 2-3 years don't go missing unnoticed, but obviously in this case, there was no missing child report. This indicates the involvement of at least one parent/step parent or as alternative option, the import of the child. Which both would be pretty nasty but not part of the serial killer investigation. Age and details distinguish this victim from group one and two and therefore, I have to dismiss her from this file.
[Addendum Dec 2011] In the meantime, we heard from Law Enforcement, this child, and it wasn't a toddler at all, was linked to Jane Doe #6, the partial remains found at the beach while the rest was found in Manorville. I admit, this was a surprise, but then, it would explain, why there was no missing child report in the firstplace - because the mother was dead. Being killed by the same killer as the child would count as involvement, true, but then, it wasn't what I suspected originally.
Group three, the four Atlantic City victims of the Atlantic City Murders from 2006, Barbara Breidor, Tracy Ann Roberts, Molly Jean Dilts and Kim Raffo, were early dragged into this case by the media, claiming some similarity. But there are not much similarites. While group one were Craigslist prostitutes, soliciting business via the internet, the Atlantic City victims of group three had street corners. And the price difference between the Atlantic City victims and the Long Island ones in group one was about factor ten. But the final prove, those cases (group one, two and three) was delivered by the killers. Group one was killed by someone who basically dumped the bodies and didn't even care whether they would found or not. [Addendum Dec 2011] There are hints, the Long Island II Killer may or may not revisited the dump sites of the four bodies at Gilgo Beach. However, all attempts, to figure that detail out, either by amatuer sleuths from the area via Websleuths or via the local law enforcement, ran into brick walls. So if someone lives in the area and wants to offer help with some non-dangeorus legwork, it would be highly appreciated.
Group two was killed by someone with a hang to dismembering bodies and spreading them out over many miles as established part in his signature, which is an entirely different thing than just strangling and dropping the bodies in one piece along the beach. And group three was killed by someone who staged his victims to make a point. It wasn't his fault that the SCPD nor the police in Manorville didn't get the memo, was it?
So, taking aside the single kills and the Atlantic City murders, we have basically the work of two serial killers here, as even the shortest look on the victimology should point out.
[Addendum Dec 2011] I said back in July "should". Anyway, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer told the news, Law Enforcement believes, this was all the work of one serial killer. But then, Dormer once believed, Shannan Gilbert was connected to the case, his guys believed, it was a black cop, they believed, the killer has experience with forensic counter measure and yes, in the beginning, as in December 2010, Richard Dormer was also the guy, who said, he didn't believe any of this was the work of a serial killer. So what Richard Dromer says may offer an interestic insight in Richard Dormer's psychopathology, but by that, the insight in anything seems already to end. Maybe he or his men should really take a look at this "should".

Now, this is, when the experts normally start to cry and groan. Two serial killers in one place? What are the odds? They will not buy it. Which ultimately means, they haven't studied the subject well enough. Not only is there a high probability to have more than one in one area, for Long Island, this probability is also even more increased because of the logical necessities of the wider surroundings. While Jeffrey Dahmer was around, also Otis Toole was around and so was Henry Lucas. Thousands of miles distant, but still near enough to come in struggle when it came to the murder on Adam Walsh and it isn't entirely solved, whether Oris Toole or Jeffrey Dahmer or maybe even a third one killed the boy at a certain palce and a certain time. Toole and Lucas also crossed the hunting grounds of Shuflin, Shore and half a dozen other seiral killers in Texas.
Or take other cases: David Franklin, the Grim Sleeper, had a competitor in his own backyard, Anthony Sowell in Ohio even two. Ted Bundy, prolific as he was, crossed at least the pathes of three more of which one was William Cosden, another one could be Warren Forrest and the third one was never caught but killed girls from gas stations, working his way South. And of cause, Rodney Alcala, the Dating Game Killer, had his own run ins in the New York area with Rifkin and in California with half a dozen (I'm not sure whether serial killers like the sun or just California, but they tend to gravitate to the land of fruits and nuts). So, it is not unusual to have two in one area, it is rather unusual to have ONLY two in an area with an urban agglomeration like New York City basically just behind the horizon. Long Island however has an even higher probabilty to become dumping ground because for a lot of New Yorkers, it is probably the only area with some remote area, they have ever heard of. Bottom line is, we have two, Long Island II (I dubbed him that because Rifkin was Long Island I) and the Manorville Torso Killer, who killed the group two victims. Manorville Torso is subject to a casefile on its own at a later time.
So lets concentrate on group one, this is Long Island II in his purest form, is it? Lets have a look at those victims:
Melissa Barthelmy Amber Lynn Costello
Maureen Brainard-Barnes Megan Waterman
What we see here, is a collection of four victims doing the same thing (offering sexual services via Craigslist) for mostly the same reasons. All four have a history of drug abuse, but at least one was a mother and had therefore become clean in the process. They share no similar appearance beyond the fact, they were women and honestly, even if they were looking not too bad, their past was visible. But the most signficant point is, they were different types. This negates on the first glance the theory of a simple lustmurderer, type sadist 101. I am well aware, the male Caucasian psychopath/sadist 101 is the preferred profile of the FBI in these days and I admit, this type of serial killer exists, but they have all one thing in common: They pick their victims by a certain type of appearance that is attractive to them and, as with other males too, this normally includes predominant basics, like length of hair, hair color, a certain type of face. These victims in group one have none of these attributes in common. The notable part is here, that we can't even get a similar type if we would try to dismiss one as accidental.
Derivations from a set pattern can occur, as we can see for example in the Bundy case, if the life circumstances of the killer change or the final spiral down starts. But in this case, we don't talk derivation because there is no set pattern at all. This guy loves his change. Really? Take a closer look, all four are Caucasian. Now, one thing, we all heard is, that serial killers kill usually in their own ethnicity. Only, this isn't entirely true anymore, it was highly likely thirty years ago and in the meantime, the market has changed. Victimologies like this, with constant ethnicity and gender but otherwise all over the place are rather known from a certain kind of serial rapist, for example the Waldo-Rapist. This killer most likely is no white lustmurderer, he is most likely a black racial motivated anger assault rapist. Amnd yes, I know, to mention this was highly political incorrect, but there it is and sometimes realities come in the way of political correctness.
There is another interesting detail in the victimology. All victims would classify as high risk victims or, in the percent scale I prefer, about 75% risk victims. This is a slightly lower risk classification than for a street corner prostitute because the original contact is unpersonal and has to start with an action by the client. Especially in the case of Amber Lynn Costello, we know also, she had taken some precautions. It didn't help her. But read the events as her room mate Dave Schaller has told them: She felt comfortable with the client who called that evening several times, that means, she knew him. And if we compare that to Melissa Barthelmy, who also met with a client and had later still time to deposit money in her bank account, we see here the same picture. [Addendum Dec 2011] In the meantime, it appears, Melissa Barthelmy deposited $900 before she met the client. Which should make one think about from where she had that money in the first place. But we know also in the meantime, Maureen Brainard-Barnes made phone calls from the Port Aiuthority Bus Terminal in NYC and had rented a hotel room during the day only some streets away, which places another victim to NYC
At least two, maybe three, of the victims went out to meet with a client and likely weren't killed by that client. Now add Megan Waterman. She stayed in a motel, with her pimp. We know, the pimp isn't the serial killer, he wasn't out of prison for some of the murders, so we can dismiss him as suspect. Here is the point: Waterman lived in NY, she was only for some days there, probably meeting with clients as well, Maybe even takin some days of with her boyfriend/pimp[Addendum Dec 2011] In the meantime, we know from the testimony of her mother, he and her pimp went usually twice a month to Long Island, right to the Island. She too lived after the initial meeting. And now take a look at Maureen Brainard Barnes. She was last seen leaving Norwich! Not with a John or anything, but just driving from her mother's home to New York City, where she had a hotel room to meet with clients. NYC, not Long Island! Of course, if the police wouldn't sit on all the detail information, we would be more certain, but not without reason is the average time between finding the first body and catching a serial killer 17 years (in NY and NJ) and even if a victim escapes and calls the police it takes normally a year. We shouldn't expect too much from them, should we?
But the few details, we know about the victim's activities tell us what exactly? Lets reword this: We have one victim that definitively was on the way back from a client (Melissa Barthelmy), we have one who visited a client, she felt comfortable with and who was by all appearance a regular (Amber Lynn Costello), one victim who appears to haven't even any contact with clients in Long Island that day (Maureen Brainard-Barnes), she disappeared and only one, we can't say whether she had a date that night or not, but was on the Island (Megan Waterman).
This picture doesn't indicate a mad John hunting on Craigslist. It can be, he also browsed Craiglist, that is possible, but he had information, a normal Craigslist client wouldn't have. Those ladies don't mail all other clients that they have no time that day because they visit their families or have made out with another client. But that indicates, this unsub stalks his victims. This would also be consistent with a racial motivated anger assault rapist. The picking of victims for that kind normally happens by seeing them in nature, not by email. Turning into killers is rare, but the whole type is on the raise, so we will probably see it in the future more often.
Another notable detail are the dates of disappearence:

July 9th, 2007 - Maureen Brainard-Barnes
July 10th, 2009 - Melissa Barthelmy
June 6th, 2010 - Megan Waterman
Sept. 2nd, 2010 - Amber Lynn Costello

You notice, one victim was attacked in 2007, one in 2009 and two in 2010. This would at the first glance indicate a developing killer. But the signature (strangulation, wrapping in burlap, dropping them without any sign of remorse at Gilgo Beach) is already in the case of Maureen Brainard-Barnes fully established. Even more, there were only phone calls to the sister of the last victim, not the earlier ones. This indicates a fully developed serial killer who has already reached the point, he needs to add an extra-kick. However, for a pure lustmurderer, a sexual psychopath, such a long cool down together with a fully established signature appears rather rare.
But there is another interesting detail. All the victims disappeared in the time from early June to early September. And of course, the gaps between Brainard-Barnes. Barthelmy and Waterman are pretty big. Given the fact, we have here already a fully established signature, it is unlikely, those are the only victims. The cool down times are simply too long. Of course, a report from the ME would help to figure whether there are little details still indicate a form of development, but by all means, this is too long. In connection with the fact, they all disappeared in the summer months, I would guess, this killer lives only for a part of the year, those three months from June to September, in the area. And please, draw the term "area" here pretty wide. But if this is right, it also means, there are other victims somewhere else in the US and they can be virtually everywhere.
Of course, it would be interesting to have more details, for example about the burlap sacks or some details of authopsy (Amber Lynn Costello was only three months missing, so there is a weak chance, ligature marks or defense wounds would be still recognizable), but right now, the police sits on them and only hell knows what they are doing with that knowledge. So at this point, there isn't much more to win from the victimology due to lack of published details.
[Addendum Dec 2011] Till December of 2011, this hasn't changed. There were sketches of the Aisan male and Jane Dow 6 and some pictures of jewelry, but nothing more about the four victims found at Gilgo Beach. So, given the average speed of law enforcement in serial killer cases, we have to state, one year is over, only sixteen more to go.

And part 2 of 2 ...

Crime Scenes
For the group one victims, we talk here about one scene and that is a tertiary one (dump site): Gilgo Beach. The victims were found only some feet away from the Ocean Parkway in the thick brushes. The bodies were wrapped in burlap and the line of findings stretched out a little bit over a mile. Nearly in sight was also the gated community of Oak Island Beach Association, a couple of miles away, but otherwise the only habited place around. Shannan Gilbert was last seen there, Joseph Brwer lives there.
[Addendum Dec 2011] In the meantime, with more information, it appears as if the bodies were placed all about 200 meters from each other. That is not entirely 700 feet. However, not the number appears to be important but the fact of a constant distance. This would allow a killer to revisit the place without even getting out of the car. The knowledge alone would be enough to relive the deed in that case.
Now, this place, seen with the eyes of a serial killer is so qualified as dump site, if it would exist, someone would have to invent it. It is as remote as possible, even more than the forests around Manorville. The next humans live some miles away and have already documented by moving into a gated community their interest in the outer world is rather to be protected from it than taking part in it, at least as far as their private time goes. Imagine, remote with the next people miles away and those people not even willing to see anything. How cool is that ... seen with the eyes of a serial killer? This makes the place a likely dump site in an area, such sites are rare anyway. But worse for Long Island, if you would ask New Yorkers, where they would go to a beach (at least before December 2010), all of them would say Long Island. The place is known and a lot of New Yorkers know it. That's the reason why on Long Island you can find about one hotel or motel room per inhabitant. In logical consequence, you can bet, a serial killer from New York also has heard about Long Island and probably knows the place. And don't forget, all the buildings on Long Island were at least built with partial involvement of construction workers from New York. Which for investigators should make clear, New York isn't out of focus, the killer is not necessary from Long Island. Remember, the victimology indicated already an African-American perpetrator who lives only about three months in the area and I asked already to spread the term "area" wide. New York City is definitively included.[Addendum Dec 2011] I mentioned Rifkin, the first Long Island Killer before, but only on a sidenote. Since July, I got some mails about him and so, I would like to add, that Rifkin was a Long Island resident who hunted and killed in New York City for prostitutes.
There is another thing: Dead bodies are literally heavy. Even those of small women. The unsub parked on the Ocean Parkway, fetched a body from the car, already wrapped, and carried it into the bushes. In darkness, some steps down (the Parkway is a little raised). This indicates, he is strong, probably used to physical work. This would be consistent with someone only living for some months in the area. A lot of freelance construction workers and subcontractors travel with a weather cycle. When things go rainy and cold in New York (mostly in September), the exodus begins to Southern states, where construction work still goes on. Regularly, those construction workers would arrive back in the wider New York area in May or early June, after working in projects in the South and Midwest on the way back. And we talk here for example about the same kind of constructors who built the houses at Oak Beach, which would make each and everyone of them familar with the area.
There is another thing worth to note: Opposite what a lot of so-called experts say, he didn't blend in. He is not part of the higher class population of Oak Beach. Because if he would be, he would be there all the year. The same is to be said about black policemen who came under suspicion for reasons, nobody really knows, probably not even the men who started that witchhunt. The unsub is most likely black, but he is no police officer. Police officers are there all year around and if the killer would be all year there, he would kill more frequently in the area and we wouldn't see such a clear time window from early June to early September. This unsub isn't part of the community, neither is he part of the support structure like police of firefighter. And that means, he came at night to drop the bodies after he had killed them somewhere else. A vehicle at night wouldn't draw much attention, the community is gated, the houses built back from the Parkway. It is unlikely, someone would notice a vehicle at say 3 a.m. And when the perpetrator parked, it was anyway some miles away, invisible in the dark from Oak Beach.
So far so good, is there anything else, the crime scene would tell us? In fact, there is. According to the rare pictures, one can get, the bodies were carried in the thicket but dropped down all on the opposite side of the Parkway. Means, the bushes were between body and Ocean Parkway. Now, we can say from the way, he dropped his victims, he didn't care about them. He considered them probably worthless. But he was instinctively worried about someone who could see them from the road. This indicates, he is not revisiting. In consequence, he must have collected souvenirs, we only can't see, due to the restrictive information politics, what kind of souvenirs. But it is likely, when the police will one day catch him, they will find items from the victim's possessions in his place. Well hidden though.[Addendum Dec 2011] While the conclusion is still correct, some details have to change due to newer information, which wasn't available in July 2011 when I wrote the original profile. The regular distances between the body dumps indicates rather a revisitor. A lot of serial killers took souvenirs and also revisited. It's not uncommon.
Now, try for a moment to imagine the timing. This guy wants to get rid of the bodies. Quick and without unnecessary hustle. He brings the already wrapped body ... wait! Why the wrapping at all? If he thinks so few of those women, why would he wrap them? This isn't a sign of remorse. So the reason for the wrapping must be elsewhere and elsewhere in this case can only mean his means of transportation. He has obviously a car and it is his own. But this car is also sometimes in the access of other people, who may would notice body fluids or anything else seeping out of a dead body. He had to wrap the bodies to keep his vehicle clean. Interesting is the choice of burlap sacks. At first, this means, he has access to burlap sacks. We can exclude coal sacks, which are also from burlap, but coal dust is something, even the police in Suffolk County would recognize. That leaves us with clam fishers (which are not so common at Gilgo Beach) and again construction workers. Carpenters get for example also some materials in burlap sacks till today. Put that together with the time frame, the intention of quick in/quick out and it is highly likely, the unsub uses a pickup truck. This would make it easy to fetch a body from the bed and carry it in the bushes. In fact, it would make things a lot less risky, because nobody would ask about something wrapped in burlap in the bed of a construction worker's car, even if he ever comes in a police check.

Details and wild speculations
There are some details worth a closer look and even more, there is a lot of speculation which, for the sake of logic have to be contradicted. But lets start with the phone calls:
There were only phone calls to the sister of the second victim, Melissa Barthelmy. Not of the earlier victim, not of the later ones. This means, Melissa Barthelmy has a special meaning to the killer. I would bet, the other victims had cell phones too, Who today hasn't (except for me, who forget the damn thing all the time)? And in cell phones are usually numbers stored. Numbers of family, of friends, of people the owners of those cell phones are normally in contact with. The unsub could have called any of the friends or relatives of any of his victims. Why Melissa Barthelmies sister?
There are a lot of misunderstandings in that part of the story anyway. Some "experts" concluded, the perpetrator has experience with forensic countermeasures and maybe belongs to law enforcement because he used prepaid phones and phoned only three minutes or less. Now, this theory is ... well, it would be highly political incorrect to call that by it's name. The unsub used Melissa Barthelmy's cell phone, no prepaid. Which is basically the reason, why the police was able to track those calls to crowded places in New York. And, as every watcher of TV shows knows, but of course not "experts", we live in the digital age. The time to track a phone call is clearly shorter than 3 minutes, provided, someone is starting to track immideately.The time till someone starts to track is the longer time. And the even longer time, after you found out, someone calls from Times Square, is to figure out which of the thousands there is your guy. So forget about this law enforcement story.
The second thing, we have to keep in mind with this phone calls is, that they happened between one and six weeks after Melissa's disappearance. That was from mid July 2009 to about end of August 2009. Nobody really suspected then, there was a serial killer around. So, what they sell us now as "tracking" was in fact scavenging old records. Back in 2009 nobody tracked anything.
What is the deeper meaning of all this? The selection of Melissa Barthelmy's sister as target for the phone calls indicates, the unsub was aware of the vulnerability of this special target. He didn't call the mothers or siblings of the other victims because he hadn't to. There was obviously nothing in his psychopathology that forced him. And whenever a serial killer deviates from what he did in other cases, it means, there is something. Either he knew Barthelmy better than the other victims, was part of her wider environment or acquaintances or she reminded him of someone that made the pure rape (and we can assume that part) and killing of the victim unsufficient for his needs. Under the consideration, that I suspect due to the victimology already a racial motivated anger assault attacker, I could imagine, Barthelmy or someone similar to Barthelmy did something that in the perception of the killer was a tort, an insult or something like that. It wouldn't make me wonder, if we are here already near to a part of the original stressor and there is also a good chance, the police would find a suspect by working through the fringe parts of Melissa Barthelmy's acquaintances.[Addendum Dec 2011] When I wrote this, it wasn't known, that also Melissa's pimp/boyfriend got phone calls, or at least, he made a statement, he got some of them. Now the choice of this secondary target is quite interesting. A sadistic killer can assume, a younger sister of his victim is maybe prone to be scared and tortured by such calls, but a pimp? No way! So there are two possibilities. Either the killer knew, he would get more of a booyfirend than a real pimp, which would have made it likely to cause psychological pain to this target, or he had another reason than to cause pain, to call this man. Such a reason would have also needed knowledge. For example the knowledge about sexual practizes, the knowledge about the nature of the relation between Melissa and her boyfriend and so on. In either case, the killer would have needed more knowledge than he would have found in the cell phone alone.

Lets come to the speculations running wild through the media. I consider it necessary to work then through just to avoid misunderstandings:

The killer is a cop?
No, the killer is no cop! Cops are there all over the year, which would make more bodies in the area inevitable. And he is also no New York cop because NY cops are all the year in New York and thus, we would have just more victims in the area and not such a clear time window over the summer months.
Still, it will be hard to get this misunderstanding out of the way. The basic idea is, this unsub uses forensic countermeasures. Which in fact, is wrong. He uses as far as I can see no special countermeasures beyond what everyone can learn from TV - including the things, one can learn wrong from TV. So, the unsub watches crime shows on TV, but he is no cop.

One especially charming idea from an "expert" is, the killer is maybe a copycat of BTK
Dennis Rader, the BTK - Bind-Torture-Kill, killed 10 women between 1974 and 1991, even most of the time, he didn't kill because he was too busy to care for his family. In fact, he had gaps from 1977 till 1985 and 1986 till 1991 and then till his arrest in 2005. But more relevant for our purpose is his signature. Rader was a home invader, who subdued his victims, tortured them, masturbated on their bodies and strangled/asphyxiated them. He left the bodies in their houses. In those cases, killing was a surrogate for sex, not a way to get sex. And Rader wrote extensively to the press. Opposite to Rader, who for example called a tip hotline to inform the police where to find his freshest kill, the Long Island II killer doesn't care for publicity. He doesn't care too much whether his victims are found or not. All his actions are as of yet direct and interactive to his victims (which includes also the phone calls in obvious reference to the victim). The mere idea of a copycat can only be based on the similar killing method of strangulation. But strangulation is rather popular under serial killers. Rader did it, Bundy did it in some cases as well. The Atlantic City Murderer did it and so did Dahmer. I wrote in the profile about Bundy about the difference between power and control. Strangulation is the eclipse of control for many types of serial killers. That is, why it is so common. Even more common in fact than penetrating stabbing which is basically often also a sex surrogate. Strangulation is the method of choice for a killer who wants to exercise control, which is again also consistent with a racial motivated anger assault attacker. But also consistent with at least another dozen of typologies. If strangulation is the only similarity (and unless the police sits on more evidence they haven't told us yet, there is nothing to indicate that) then we have here no copycat of the BTK.

The Long Island II Murders and the Atlantic City Murders are connected
Atlantic City is in New Jersey and so is Long Island. And all victims were strangulated. But at that point any similarity ends. The victims of Atlanta were street prostitutes, those of Long Island were Craigslist porstitutes which puts them in a different environment with different social rules. The victims at Long Island were literally dropped, those in Atlantic City staged. The Atlantic City victims were dressed except for their shoes, the Long Island victims were nude. There is simply no way, those murders can be reasonably connected. My first guess for Atlantic City, without reading my own case file for that series now, is something from a religious area of motivations combined with sex and control fantasies. Details, for example the heads turned looking to the East and the missing shoes, as well as the staging face down, make me think in the direction of Islam. Also the perpetrator of the Atlantic City Murders was a local, at least at the time of the murders. I hope, that clears this misunderstanding

He is extreme intelligentWell, we hear in any serial killer case at first, the unsub is extreme intelligent. That makes it look better if they don't catch him or take their time with it. In fact, the intelligence curve over serial killers in general is consistent with that of the normal population. Which means, there are extreme bright ones out there, as there are extreme dumb ones (Otis Toole avoided the death penalty because he was too stupid to be executed). The mass of them is of average intelligence.
The Long Island II killer is of average intelligence too. Aside of the phone calls, which are obviously part of his psychopathology, he did nothing extreme smart. His mind is pragmatic, including the methods of disposal to the choice of places from where to phone.

What to expect?
This kind of killer will not stop till he is caught. If my estimations are correct, he has killed already more than the victims of Long Island. He is only three months per year in the area, nine moths not. Which means, we have to calculate rather with three to four times the number of victims we know now. That would bring him in the number range 15 to 20. Those victims are most likely spread over several places over the nation, probably in groups of three to five. He also has already picked a new place in the wider area around New York.
Since this killer showed as of yet no urge to jump in the investigation or involve the media on his behalf, I would also consider it unlikely, he will get in a competition with the Manorville Torso Killer, provided, that guy is still free in the first place.
ViCAP-searches for other victims will most likely fail, since there is a good chance, other victims in other places are not wrapped in burlap but other materials. A lot of construction workers do a variety of different things and thus get on different construction projects their hands on different materials. If other dump sites are already found, you have to leave "burlap" out of the search. and also Craigslist is maybe not relevant.
Other dump sites, old one as future ones, will be probably in some miles distance from construction projects, he worked on in remote areas, probably near new neighborhoods, or given the time, he is already around, even under even newer ones.
He is, as mentioned before, African-American. In his history, you will probably find minor drug abuses, but not the petty thefts typical for psychopaths. You will also not find parts of the McDonald triade. Instead, you will maybe find minor charges for bar brawls, especially with smaller Caucasian men and, if he was noticed at all, maybe some peeping Tom accusations by Caucasian women in the age bracket of 20-30.
He is some kind of handycrafter, probably good with wood work and dry wall. In daily life, he is polite, friendly, but not shy. He is not a loner, but maybe divorced as a consequence of his travelling lifestyle. His "homebase" is probably New York. He would in the neighborhood, in the short months, he is there, be noticed for being helpful, especially when it comes to transport something. He owns an american made pickup truck, depending on his exact business in the weight class of a F-150 or F-250, but more likely F-150 with hitch. The car wouldn't necessary spot a dark color but rather a color popular at the time, he bought/leased it.
He is organized, in his crimes as in real life. But that doesn't border to OCD. It is possible, that he works in groups with other freelancers on construction projects, but he is used to make his hands dirty.
Since he has information about his victims, a normal John can't have, I assume, he searches their acquaintance or is already a part on the fringes of their lives. He can be the nice guy in the next appartment building, you ask if the water crane drops. New York is a big city, but there must be a common area where all the victims occasionally went and there you will find him. He is not a regular Craigslist user (and that's the reason why police can't find him by sifting through the mails of the victims via Craigslist), but it is likely, that the same computer-name (not IP-adress) will show up watching pictures on the ads in the weeks before the victims disappeared.
A way to find him is to cross-reference Melissa Barthelmy's extended circle of acquaintances with owners of trucks, living in New York, working in construction jobs all over the country as freelancers or with freelancing groups. Probably, he will live in the Bronx or a social similar area, but keep in mind, he is most time of the year not there. Also in the New York will be the secondary site where he kills his victims. This place is probably some workspace, maybe even with enough room to park his truck there and store the tools of his trade. Of course, he doesn't share the that place with others, nor will he let people in. Not because he has more bodies stored there, but because that is his inner sanctum, in a way.

Motive
This unsub is a racial motivated anger assault attacker. This special subspecies is more known for rapists. A known case is the Waldo-Rapist, who raped white woman more to get control over them than for the sex in itself. But this type is also known as spree shooter like in the case of beer driver Omar Thornton who shot his boss and some colleagues after he was fired for stealing beer. Racial motivated anger assault attackers are typically African-Americans feeling a deep sitting hatred for Caucasions for perceived torts. This psychopathology often raises when raised in areas with high black population share in which the line "it's all whitey's fault" is standard while smoking pot and skipping high school - thus, we're talking gang land here. Imagine a social environment in which racism is normal self-definition. I know, a lot of people will now accuse me of being a racist, but keep in mind, it wasn't me raping the women of Waldo or shooting the people at that beer distributor and reasoned it with the feeling of being set back by white colleagues. That was Omar Thornton.
Unsubs of this type are normally single perpetrators. They are no loners and often live, if there aren't other additional reasons, in normal relationships. The relative high share of rapists in this groups and the use of rape as means to humiliate the white victims is caused by the self-perception as much more virile than white men and often victims hear also lines like "this can't your whitey friend give you", which is more a primitve competitive behavior than anything else. Perpetrators of this type are normally heterosexual oriented.
The basic motive is a feeling of inferiority, which sometimes is justified, in most cases not. This feeling is combined with a perception of hostility by the other ethnicity and therefore base for blaming for everything that happens. Thornton for example blamed the "racism" of his boss for him being fired, even the real reason was, he was caught stealing. For this kind of perpetrator, the control and humiliation of the victim has clearly priority before the sexual relief. It is about a victory that needs manifestation to compensate the feeling of inferiority. Keep in mind, the determining factor is not, whether this feeling is justified, it is all about the unsub feelings of the matter per se.
The serial killer variant of this pathology and to a lesser degree also the serial rapist version will only stop if caught and sport always shorter cool down phases. As with other kinds of anger assault rapists, there is a good chance, that a rapist can become a murderer in case of erection failure, which makes me think, Long Island II maybe started out that way.

Conclusion
Of course, I'm well aware, that most of this profile will be ignored, especially by law enforcement in New Jersey and New York for it's obvious political incorrectness. But that's not my decision. There are black serial killers, the same as there are white, brown, yellow ones and if there is any people with green skin, there would be serial killers in green either. To ignore the victimology would be a big mistake. But maybe I'm total wrong (people assumed, I was wrong when I wrote Abuelazam wasn't racial motivated but had a hate on ill and weak persons. People also assumed I would be wrong when I wrote, the Grim Sleeper wouldn't be a sleeper at all). In fact, I would like to be wrong in this case, because I doubt, law enforcement will act on the theory of a black serial killer of Long Island and then it will take another decade or two to get him and so and so many victims more. So, here it is, my two cents to this case. Take it or leave it!
[Addendum Dec 2011] I've sent some mails with parts of this profile to Suffolk County months ago. Of course, I got no response, nor can I see any signs, they would follow this line of investigation. But then, there are not many signs, they follow any line of investigation there. So, technically, no response from SCPD means nothing at all..

OK, here's my theory. Some of you probably know this already, but for those of you who don't...

Our SK lives in Manorville, close to the dump site (within 3-4 miles). He's a duck hunter and a long-time, active member of a certain Waterfowlers Association. Through this association, he's familiar with Cedar Beach given their annual duckboat festival held every year at Cedar Beach, and at Gilgo Beach in 2000. This Association also practices shooting shotgun at a shooting range next to the Manorville dump site.

He is a meticulous and professional hunter, almost to the point of obsession, and he takes great pride in his duck hunting abilities. These abilities include concealment using burlap camo and luring ducks to his killing fields using duck calls and his expertly painted decoys.

He stands out as a leader among these hunters. He doesn't really have a 9-5 job, and he makes money doing odds and ends, like landscaping, which is why he's intimately familiar with the Manorville dump site near the sump. He's illegally dumped branches from yard clearings before. He even chose to throw JT's body on a pile of sticks dumped by a landscaper - this pile of sticks was possibly even dumped by himself. Illegal dumping is kind of his thing. If he wasn't intimately familiar with this very specific area of Manorville, it would have been impossible for him to be able to find it a second time in 2003, especially if it was dark.

He has a typical serial killer family history. He was emotionally torn apart from a broken childhood. He was an only child, his parents are divorced and his father was absent for most of his childhood, staying away from the home as much as possible due to the violent and abusive tendencies of his mother. His mother was abusive and domineering at home and had a set of bizarre rules and punishments that she learned from her mother.

His mother herself was abused by her mother, who was also abused as a child. The history of family abuse ran the gamut - mental, physical and sexual. He idolized a non-father male relative (also a duck hunter, I'm guessing). This person died suddenly and prematurely, and he came to blame a woman for his untimely death. He became the hunter, both literally and figuratively, and he subconsiusly seeks to avenge his male role model by hurting a certain type of woman - someone who uses sex as a way to make money. This vengeance somehow fills the emotional void that he still experiences today.

He has a history of non-traditional sexual behavior, primarily experimenting with homosexuality, crossdressing, sex with transvetites, prostitutes and maybe even bestiality or S&M. His sexual tendencies lead him to NYC on occasion where he can shop for exotic *advertiser censored* and hang out in video booths where he can meet his sexual needs away from his family and without being noticed or out of the ordinary.

He occasionally picks up prostitutes from the street, but given his lack of financial resources he usually just fantasizes about picking them up and killing them so he doesn't have to pay for sex. He mostly just wants to show these "*advertiser censored*" what a man he's become, but really inside he's still a 13 year old kid who's emotional maturity was stunted by his completely screwed up family.

He started with Jane Doe 2000. He met her in NYC, killed her in his car by strangulation and drove her back to where he was comfortable - in Marorville, back by the power lines where noone would see him as he dismembered her like a duck.

The initial act of murder was not premeditated, rather he just acted on an impulse and lived out his fantasy. He dismembered her on-the-fly because he was worried about her identification. He knew he had somehow left a trail, and he didn't want anyone to know that some girl from NYC ended up dead in his hometown / hunting spot. Perhaps his wife knew he was in NYC that day. Perhaps he was worried about using EZ-Pass through the Midtown tunnel, and was worried about security cameras. I think it's likely that in order to "cover" for where he was that night, he told his wife that he went to scout some bird hunting areas down by the beach for his upcoming hunt in November. He had actually in fact been down to Cedar Beach that night, but it wasn't to scout - it was to discard JD2000's head and hands in the bushes. He knew these bushes were impenetrable because he'd spent time in the Cedar Beach parking lot at the annual duckboat show.

He reflected on the whole experience and sexually fantasized about it for years. He returned to Cedar Beach in 2001 and 2002 and, as he stared into the bushes, he realized he'd committed a crime that was extremely difficult to solve, if anyone even cared to solve it at all.

It wasn't until 2003 when he committed his first premeditated murder. He planned much more carefully. He had the dismemberment site planned out. He had the dump sites in Manorville and Cedar Beach all planned out. He had the pickup spot planned out - the same general area in NYC where he found JD2000. He had the kill site in NYC planned out.

After Jessica Taylor, he stopped killing for awhile. He felt the heat this time. It was on the news, it was the talk of the town, they quickly discovered her identity. He slowed way down, paid more attention to his family, and he especially paid more attention to his hobby/sport.

Sometime between 2003 and 2005 or so, he runs across the UID woman and Baby Doe. Same M.O. for pickup spot, kill site and dismemberment site - different dump site because she's African American, and he's racist although not so much when it comes to sex and murder. Next up: the Asian male, picked up somewhere in NYC. The thought of dismembering someone of the same sex disgusts him, so he just dumps the entire body. He doesn't want to, but he uses the same dump site because it just works. It's a revelation, because here's when he comes to realize that he doesn't need to dismember at all.

I'll note that it is possible that he went on a murder spree in Atlantic City during a month-long scouting/hunting trip in October/November 2006 in one of the finest waterfowl hunting areas in the world, Absecon Bay. Seeing that he annually attends a NJ duck show, its quite possible that he planned this trip for some time, and he brought with him his nasty little sickness.

If it wasn't him in 2006 in Atlantic City, then it wasn't until 2007 that his fantasies started in earnest again. He needed to alleviate his emotional emptiness. He'd finally become somewhat adept at using the Internet, possibly from having to set up his computer for a teen child, or from having to reinstall everything due to viruses from surfing *advertiser censored*. His extent of computer literacy is really limited to just checking his duck hunting sites, his e-mail and Craigslist.

Because he lacks financial resources, he constantly uses Craigslist to buy and sell stuff, mostly hunting gear. He also uses it as a way to find work, mostly odd jobs like painting, yard work and handy-man type home repair. He frequently tries to get odd jobs in NYC. He can't stay away from sex ads - they're better than *advertiser censored* - his fantasies continue as he begins to plan his next murder. He's graduated from "street" prostitutes and is looking for someone more attractive and not into drugs - more his "type".

He uses a public computer at a car wash, a local hotel or a NYC internet cafe to quickly browse some NYC provider ads. He jots down a number or two that pique his interest. Then he waits. He waits for weeks, maybe even a month or more. Then he calls, when the time is right. He uses a disposable phone that he bought months previously in NYC, probably on the same day that he checked the Craigslist listings. He used cash while wearing a disguise (hat, hoodie and glasses).

The first online victim he chooses is from NYC. He's still using his old basic M.O. He makes the trip to meet up with Maureen in NYC, who he meets and kills in the same spot as JD2000, JT, the Asian male and the UID female. He wraps her in camo burlap that he's had the foresight to bring from his garage - he's planned a full body disposal for the first time. He needs to keep the body hidden from aerial scavengers like crows. He doesn't want them making a scene, and he knows that ducks can't see burlap from the sky. He doesn't really need the camo because hunting season doesn't begin until November. At the kill site in NYC, he puts her in the back of his truck and drives directly from NYC to Cedar Beach, using the 59th St. bridge instead of the tunnel to avoid the cameras and tolls. He doesn't need to dismember her this time because nobody will ever find her. Dismembering is messy and time consuming, and it was always just a forensic countermeasure. It doesn't make any sense to dismember her if he believes she'll never be found anyway.

Hunting season comes in late 2007, and he picks up a lot of burlap this year. It's not out of the ordinary. He's at the apex of his hunting career now. Perhaps he's a professional duck hunting guide, and he needs lots of burlap in case his "city slicker" clients don't have their own when he takes them into the field. He's probably using Advantage 4H-D Camo, or he's buying it virgin by the roll and painting it himself. After all, he's a real hunter, and he's constantly painting decoys for himself and for his hunting pals. Which is part of the reason why they respect him so much - he's such an expert. Only he himself knows that he has another reason for buying so much burlap. He's committed the perfect crime, and he knows he can do it again and again.

He does, once in 2009 and twice in 2010. By 2010, he's decided to avoid going to the city. Too much hassle, too much risk - takes too long. He's choosing women from towns far enough away from Manorville but closer to the dump site to decrease his overall risk. He never seen anything in the news when the girls go missing, so he's not even slightly afraid of choosing Long Island girls. He's even found a kill spot closer to the dump site, perhaps in the Cedar Beach parking lot itself. It only takes a few short minutes to kill anyway. He's returned to the Cedar Beach parking lot dozens of times, both during the day and at night. He knows how to get around the gate. He knows that cops never go there past dark. And he knows that there's noone around to hear a scream. He can take his time, savor the moment. Watch their pain. He loves inflicting physical and emotional pain.

He inflicts physical and emotional pain on women just as the women in his youth inflicted physical and emotional pain upon him. That's why he called Amanda Barthelemy when he found out that Melissa had a cell phone on her as he went through his undressing ritual at the kill site. This was the first time he discovered a cell phone on a victim. The other victims didn't use cell phones because they were street workers. Maureen didn't have one because she was using a pay phone and probably lost her phone when she was robbed. He kept Melissa's phone and decided to torment Amanda as he walked about the city one day search of *advertiser censored* and sex. After Melissa, he was on a mental high - he fel invincible. At the time of the calls to Amanda, he was probably hanging around at his old kill site in NYC to relive those old murders just before he "ducked" into one of those "hole in the wall" video booths after unsuccessfully trolling for street prostitutes. Risky sex is one of the few things that keeps his emotions at bay, and it gives him the high he needs to feel alive - just like hunting, just like murder.

In May 2010, he doesn't realize that Shannan Gilbert has mysteriously disappeared just a few miles from his perfect dump site, so he dumps Megan and Amber there in June and September. Unbeknownst to him, the SCPD was down there - Officer Malia and his dog, Blue. Whether it was a training exercise or they were actually looking for Shannan, who knows. But the bodies were fresh enough that the Blue picked up the scent easily. His perfect dump site was found.

Shannan died of accidental causes, but her death sparked a million different theories. Investigators became sidetracked, and the killer had time and luck on his side. He'd been cautious, and it paid off.

But he's been completely stressed out and depressed since December 2010, possibly having nightmares and wishing he'd been able to stop himself. He's probably considered suicide as an option if the police get near. But he's got a wife and at least one kid. Amongst his hunting pals, he's trying desparately to look like there's nothing amiss. After all, his buddies must think its strange that at least 2 bodies were placed at the exact two locations that they go to every a year - Cedar Beach and Halsey Rd. in Manorville. "What a coincidence!", they must say. But this person fits in so well, he's so respected as a duck hunter and a pal that it doesn't even cross their mind that he's the killer. He's been able to hide his deep dark secret his whole life. He's been able to hide his identity from the police. He's been able to hide his perverse sexuality. In actuality, he's been hiding his past from everyone for his entire life.

Good job inspctrgadget and I'm glad to see you back!

Just one quick heads up: Maureen Brainard-Barnes did have a cell phone (just 1) that pinged off of a cell tower "near" Fire Island about 3 weeks after she disappeared. This information was provided by meltruth, who is a WS vetted sibling of Ms. Brainard-Barnes. Here is the link to the posts where meltruth talks about the cell phone:

Post #93
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134781&page=4

One question: Do car washes on LI have public computers? I have never heard of that.

Your post was very logical and made a lot of sense.

Thank you!

*Edited to add: Some of the info about the cell phone ping is also in the article linked below:

Hartford Courant
Sister Of Victim Won't Stop Tracking Case Until
Serial Killer Is Caught
By DENISE BUFFA
The Hartford Courant
9:21 p.m. EDT, March 25, 2012
http://www.courant.com/news/breaking...,6856964.story

Great work sir, also loved hearing you on Blogtalk. I have a question though and that is why I quoted this section. In a photo you provided:

http://sswa.org/GetImage.ashx?ID=368

You are referencing the burlap on the table. I believe that is a solid piece called a blinder. Were the remains not discarded in bags not long pieces or burlap? I have read different reports. Some say in burlap bags some say wrapped in burlap.

I believe the burlap you reference is pretty specific, I think it would have taken them right down the duck hunting road. When the story was first reported MSM reported that clam diggers used such burlap. Do we know anything other then that? I've been trying to find an image of the burlap. Do we have access to one?

Here is all I could find:

http://files.myopera.com/anthony-uk/blog/bodies-of-long-island-serial-killer1.jpg

Is this a photo of one of the bags?

LE said the burlap was important and I thought so too at the time if for nothing else you could use it in a profile.

I agree with most of your profile and would add that if the LISK has access to drugs that would render a person helpless or unconsciious he would not need a lot of strength. That is one of the many reasons I believe the LISK is CPH and I believe he has been practicing his skills since 1982.
I agree the Sux drug fits the discription, what do you think?

Great work sir, also loved hearing you on Blogtalk. I have a question though and that is why I quoted this section. In a photo you provided:

http://sswa.org/GetImage.ashx?ID=368

You are referencing the burlap on the table. I believe that is a solid piece called a blinder. Were the remains not discarded in bags not long pieces or burlap? I have read different reports. Some say in burlap bags some say wrapped in burlap.

I believe the burlap you reference is pretty specific, I think it would have taken them right down the duck hunting road. When the story was first reported MSM reported that clam diggers used such burlap. Do we know anything other then that? I've been trying to find an image of the burlap. Do we have access to one?

Here is all I could find:

http://files.myopera.com/anthony-uk/blog/bodies-of-long-island-serial-killer1.jpg

Is this a photo of one of the bags?

LE said the burlap was important and I thought so too at the time if for nothing else you could use it in a profile.

Here's the original story related to burlap:
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/...bodies-key-role-for-officer-and-dog.html?_r=1
“The tail starts wagging; he’s making adjustments with his head,” Officer Mallia said, adding, “There was some burlap, and most of the skeleton was there.”

That discovery — the skeletal remains of a woman in a nearly disintegrated burlap sack — would be the first of several grisly finds the police would make off Ocean Parkway.

Two days later, Officer Mallia and Blue returned to the area in the morning to help homicide investigators collect evidence. But about 500 feet from the first body, the officer found a second body wrapped in burlap. Officer Mallia made that discovery alone, since Blue was still in the car.

So you see Officer Malia says "some burlap" and then the author expounds and assumes a "burlap sack" probably because they are unfamiliar with anything but a "burlap sack" (i.e., burlap rolls, burlap sheets like the "blinder").

In addition to this picture of SSWA members standing in front of a camo burlap "blinder", I found a website where my POI (an SSWA member) was acting as a professional hunting guide. He recommended that clients bring Advantage Max 4-HD:
http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pr...ecialties-camo-burlap-advantage-max-4-hd-camo

Note that plain burlap is the cheapest, and is sold by the roll.
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/plain-burlap.htm

I believe a real duck hunter, one who prides themselves on decoy painting abilities such as my POI, would buy the plain burlap and paint it themselves according to the type of foliage they'd be hunting.

Anyhow, we've got someone who is:
1) tied directly to the specific area of Manorville on Halsey Rd. where 2 victims were found
2) tied directly to Cedar Beach where multiple victims were found, including the two Manorville victims
3) tied directly to burlap

Show me a better POI in this case and I'll buy you a beer.

Here's the original story related to burlap:
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/18/...bodies-key-role-for-officer-and-dog.html?_r=1
“The tail starts wagging; he’s making adjustments with his head,” Officer Mallia said, adding, “There was some burlap, and most of the skeleton was there.”

That discovery — the skeletal remains of a woman in a nearly disintegrated burlap sack — would be the first of several grisly finds the police would make off Ocean Parkway.

Two days later, Officer Mallia and Blue returned to the area in the morning to help homicide investigators collect evidence. But about 500 feet from the first body, the officer found a second body wrapped in burlap. Officer Mallia made that discovery alone, since Blue was still in the car.

So you see Officer Malia says "some burlap" and then the author expounds and assumes a "burlap sack" probably because they are unfamiliar with anything but a "burlap sack" (i.e., burlap rolls, burlap sheets like the "blinder").

In addition to this picture of SSWA members standing in front of a camo burlap "blinder", I found a website where my POI (an SSWA member) was acting as a professional hunting guide. He recommended that clients bring Advantage Max 4-HD:
http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pr...ecialties-camo-burlap-advantage-max-4-hd-camo

Note that plain burlap is the cheapest, and is sold by the roll.
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/plain-burlap.htm

I believe a real duck hunter, one who prides themselves on decoy painting abilities such as my POI, would buy the plain burlap and paint it themselves according to the type of foliage they'd be hunting.

Anyhow, we've got someone who is:
1) tied directly to the specific area of Manorville on Halsey Rd. where 2 victims were found
2) tied directly to Cedar Beach where multiple victims were found, including the two Manorville victims
3) tied directly to burlap

Show me a better POI in this case and I'll buy you a beer.

Why would a perp from Manorville hide the remains he puts in oak beach, but leave gory remains on display near his home in Manorville? In most cases, the behavior of a sk is the other way around; hide/bury remains when near his home, openly discard without hiding when not near their home.

Why would a perp from Manorville hide the remains he puts in oak beach, but leave gory remains on display near his home in Manorville? In most cases, the behavior of a sk is the other way around; hide/bury remains when near his home, openly discard without hiding when not near their home.

You ask a god question. Let's talk about JT and JD#6 only for the moment. Think about this in terms of:

1) kill site
2) prep site
3) dump site(s)

Was Manorville the kill site? Probably not. The kill site was more likely his car, somewhere in NYC where JT and JD most likely worked as prostitutes. He picks up a NYC street prostitute, she hops in the car, they go somewhere quiet and he strangles her Rifkin-style. He freaks out a bit, trying to figure out where to dump her. He drives back to where he's comfortable - hometown Manorville - so he can think. From there, he comes up with the idea to butcher off her identifying marks - head, hands, tattoos, etc. He comes up with a place to dispose of these body parts (down by the beach, maybe in the bay). He probably comes up with the idea to dispose of the purse, ID, jewelry and clothes in a dumpster somewhere.

So where were these two women butchered? Where is the "prep" site? Was it the same as the Manorville dump sites? Probably not, since JD#6 was found in plastic bags, and JT's torso was found on some type of plastic tarp, as if someone pulled up, dragged her torso out of a vehicle and drove off.

So he's got some type of "prep site" that we know isn't the Manorville "dump site". I'm thinking its his garage or basement because I think he needed someplace where he could operate out of the public eye. Rifkin did this on his first few murders. I mean, the LISK needed cutting tools, plastic bags, plastic tarps, probably towels and a shower, etc. He needed to transport the bloody bodies from the "prep site" to his car, so a garage or basement makes the most sense for privacy's sake.

So, now he's got a huge bloody torso in the back of his car, probably leaking all over the place. He doesn't want to drive across the island with that. Too many troopers. He wants to dump that with the quickness. Reduce his risk and exposure for getting caught, Rifkin-style.

He chooses someplace close, unoccupied and desolate. He's limited by the places he knows well and has been to before - someplace new would have too many unknowns. His big mistake is choosing that general place twice in a row over a 3 year period. It would be practically impossible for someone unfamiliar with that area to find their way back there a second time. So its a clear indicator that he KNOWS that place, well.

Why choose Cedar Beach for the remaining smaller body parts? Well, they were probably hidden pretty well in his car, behind plenty of other miscellaneous stuff. He knows the risk of getting pulled over and these body parts being found is pretty low. They're bagged well, so they're not leaking everywhere. He wants to hide 'em good, but somewhere where he'll be able to come back to and reminisce. He'd want an alibi for if he gets pulled over, so again, he chooses someplace he's comfortable with - Cedar Beach. "Hi Officer, I was just heading down to the beach to pick up some reeds for my duck boat, ya know, duck season is coming up and I'm gettin ready fur the big hunt, whoo hoo!" "Oh, OK, no problem sir, be on your way, good luck and just slow down." It's also maybe an alibi if his wife asks "Where were you tonight honey?" and he says "I was down at the beach practicing duck calls and collecting reeds for the duck boat."

He does this a second time with JT, but this time he realizes that he's bringing the heat by leaving headless women so close to home. Its all over the feakin news. Not good. Not what he wanted, exactly - a manhunt - and his victim was even freakin identified. Darn it - need to recalibrate.

Eventually, he figures he can use Cedar Beach as the primary "dump site" because the more he's thought about it, the more he realizes how perfect a location it really is. He doesn't need to bring the corpse home, so he doesn't need to wait for the wife and kid(s) to go away for awhile on vacation/visiting relatives. He can increase his kill rate and reduce his exposure - perfect! Camo the body a bit to prevent animals from making a scene, and walla! - the perfect murder. No investigation. No need to worry about much at all, other than leaving no digital traces which is easily accomplished with disposable phones, public computers and disguises. No need for a prep site. No need to risk getting picked up by the NYC police for soliciting a prostitute or getting busted in a sting operation. No need to worry about HIV.

I know some people here think that the Manorville dumpings were somehow a "gory display", but I think that's totally wrong. Certainly JD#6 wasn't displayed. Certainly none of the GB4 or other OP victims were displayed. JT wasn't found for weeks or months, and there was nothing overtly shocking about her so-called "staging".

So there you have it - he refined his M.O. to leave fewer and fewer tracks back to himself. Earlier on in his career, he did some pretty dumb stuff, like dumping body parts so close to home. Now, it's like he was never even there - his recent murders didn't even make the news, until late 2010. And now we see what he's been up to. Visiting NYC for sex, hanging out in Manorville pretty regularly, quite familiar with Cedar Beach, surfing Craigslist, burlap, interracial sex and hooking up with transvestites.

I have a good candidate for the LISK. I was talking to someone the other day and he was telling me how crazy this guy was. Telling me that he is a sociopath and he has an addition with hookers and cocaine. Then he says "I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turns out that he was the guy that killed those girls at Gilgo. He used to do a lot of work over there."

So I've been checking this guy out and haven't been able to find much on him. The strangest thing is he actually died 3 weeks ago at the age of 47.

I'll see if I can find more but there doesn't seem to be much out there on this guy.

I have a good candidate for the LISK. I was talking to someone the other day and he was telling me how crazy this guy was. Telling me that he is a sociopath and he has an addition with hookers and cocaine. Then he says "I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it turns out that he was the guy that killed those girls at Gilgo. He used to do a lot of work over there."

So I've been checking this guy out and haven't been able to find much on him. The strangest thing is he actually died 3 weeks ago at the age of 47.

I'll see if I can find more but there doesn't seem to be much out there on this guy.

Interesting details though. This guy said cocaine and sociopath in one sentence? Not only "drugs"?
47 is a bit old for LISK, but then age is often hard to predict. However, how good do you know the guzy who told you that story? Personally, I become always a little bit more careful, if someone outside this forum uses the term "sociopath" apparently correct. It indicates, he gave it some thought and the people who give it the most thought are sociopaths themselves, for obvious reasons.

Are we allowed to sleuth someone after they've died? I assume not, but I'm curious.

Did he kill himself? I have been very curious about a recent high profile "suicide" by hanging in a park. Little has been said about it or the person who was found hanging from a tree.

Did he kill himself? I have been very curious about a recent high profile "suicide" by hanging in a park. Little has been said about it or the person who was found hanging from a tree.

I wondered about the suicide guy as well...I haven't read any updates on why he may have killed himself. But, his profession piqued my interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosthrough