Post your PROFILE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another of NY's finest has been arrested...there sure are a lot of NYPD, and SCPD getting caught up in crimes and investigations. The names of many/most of the NYPD LE who are arrested have been reported whereas SCPD LE who are arrested are often not named.
http://www.officer.com/news/10734441/nypd-detective-charged-with-burglary
Source Newsday:
June 26--A New York City police detective who lives on Long Island was arrested and charged with burglarizing a Lindenhurst home earlier this month, according to law enforcement officials, who said a task force trailed the officer and his accomplices and caught them red-handed.

Rafael Astacio, 39, an 18-year NYPD veteran and detective in the New York Police Department's Special Victims unit, has been suspended without pay, officials said. He was charged with third-degree burglary, a C felony, in the theft of goods from an Oxford Street home on the night of June 3.

More on the Suffolk County Investigation into Rafael Astacio:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...estigate-nypd-detective-in-burglary-ring?lite

"Astacio is now the subject of an ongoing investigation by the Suffolk County Police Department and Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office who are now probing whether he works with a team that pulled off other burglaries in New York City. The investigation is part of a larger attempt to determine whether Astacio was involved in corruption during his years as a vice cop and sex-crimes investigator."

<rsbm>

Could be ... the earliest WS post i can find on it has this link with ye olde "source familiar with the investigation":

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/cops-bodies-found-near-ocean-parkway-1.2539606

Any other WSrs recall from the early days of this forum there being scuttlebutt that the DA (Spota?) was upset with Dormer about burlap becoming public knowledge?? Dunno ... maybe i'm dreaming.

No, but I clearly recall the earliest msm news reports (every single one of them) saying ALL 4 victims were strangled/asphixiated, and ALL were wrapped in burlap. Two or three reports also mentioned part of a ligature still attached to one of the bodies.

Can I find any of those reports now? No. But they existed in abundance in the very begining. So I'm thinking LE either had to have requested that info get pulled, or...well, I don't know. But I know what I read.

No, but I clearly recall the earliest msm news reports (every single one of them) saying ALL 4 victims were strangled/asphixiated, and ALL were wrapped in burlap. Two or three reports also mentioned part of a ligature still attached to one of the bodies.

Can I find any of those reports now? No. But they existed in abundance in the very begining. So I'm thinking LE either had to have requested that info get pulled, or...well, I don't know. But I know what I read.

here's 1 report that 1 victim had an item around her neck

http://www.examiner.com/article/long-island-serial-killer-and-shannan-gilbert-featured-documentary

The four female victims found in December had been strangled, with one still having an &#8220;item&#8221; around her neck.

and another online article

http://www.altereddimensions.net/crime/LongIslandSerialKiller.aspx

All four were strangled and at least one was found with an &#8220;item&#8221; around her neck.

and another

http://www.longislandexchange.com/articles/news/trackinggilgobeachkiller-041211.html

Reports also claimed that one of the women was found with an item around her neck, and the family of one victim received a death certificate that listed "asphyxia" as the cause of death

and from another forum post - it states the original article was in Newsday

Crimeshots© True Crime Forums - View Single Post - The Long Island Serial Killer

--One source also said that all of the four female victims found in December were strangled. One had an "item" around her neck.

I recall all those articles too MK. Everything is disappearing from the net, so the powers that be are making sure the public doesn't have access, for whatever reasons. I don't think Joe Average can call Google up and say "hey, can you pull that unflattering article about me from last year ....".

Kinda makes one wonder how a girl can be gang-raped and LE can't manage to get it totally off the net and it's possibly etched in cyber-stone forever :(

I recall all those articles too MK. Everything is disappearing from the net, so the powers that be are making sure the public doesn't have access, for whatever reasons. I don't think Joe Average can call Google up and say "hey, can you pull that unflattering article about me from last year ....".

Kinda makes one wonder how a girl can be gang-raped and LE can't manage to get it totally off the net and it's possibly etched in cyber-stone forever :(

Here are 2 older links, the first says 2 were wrapped in burlap, the next report says all were.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/cops-bodies-found-near-ocean-parkway-1.2539606

http://www.newsday.com/news/breakin...767?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Wish I knew how to link stories to the page. Read today;s NYPOST.com about the story of Tam O' Shanter Country Club. It may well be the reason why the Gilgo Case is in neutral gear. Read it and then tell me it isn't possible that someone could get very hurt if the cops did the job their are paid for.

It's fairly easy--just right click your mouse on the website/url in the window at the top of your browser and left click on "copy" in the dropdown menu. Then left click where you want the link in your post after that. Right click again while your mouse is in the post (the cursor will probably look like a large "I") for the drop down menu and left click on "paste". Then it should appear in your post!

This is the story hawk mentions I suppose.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tam-oshanter-prostitute-scandal-2012-8

Doesn&#8217;t seem like a murder setting to me, but who knows.

I agree with hawk that there's a cold feet issue on the case, but not for the same reasons. The key to everything is the 911 call, IMHO.

Dormer says in interviews "She said she was in Jones Beach" referring to it like Shannan said she was in New Zealand.

Jones Beach, Oak Beach it's a <modsnip> damn beach on the narrow patch of land and the PSAP operator must have the capability to locate Shannan (albeit roughly) even without any GPS gimmicks on her phone.

Let's assume Dormer is righteous to bring that issue forward, I would expect one interviewer ask him the question "OK. She said she was in Jones Beach and any officers dispatched to Jones Beach?"

Dormer whines about things like; there are too many people with phones stuck to the ears etc. (Reg calls to sis Amanda)

Because, you know the only way to talk on a cell phone is to keep it stuck to your ear and be somewhere outdoors.

Dormer wants us to accept the contents of 911 call to be just like he reports as an axiom, without letting the public hear the actual audio.

I believe SG has no got nothing to do with LISK case. Then why 911 call is the key?

Because having solved the big thing, the people will start asking about the small thing. What happened to Shannan?

My opinion as to why, because there's a scandal on the call. Honestly, I'm not expecting a big time botch, instead a mini one. Like, the 911 operator not being able to handle the situation properly.

I believe Dormer is/was genuinely dying to click the cuffs before his retirement. In December 2010 when the GB4 was discovered, he rushed to Oak Beach with no hesitation to put some <modsnip> behind the bars, daring the cost of a stain on his career because of that 911 call. Sadly he wasn&#8217;t lucky. Now, he also feels to need to stay in the "bury everything down" alliance, lead by Spota since the beginning (JMO)

SPOTA, December 15, 2011
The similarities in the disposal of their bodies and other very critical forensic evidence that I am not going to discuss makes it very clear that those women were killed by one particular killer, or killers maybe.

"Critical forensic evidence" and no progress in two years? Then I say Spota doesn&#8217;t know the meaning of at least two words in that phrase. There should be an idea behind the preference of holding back case specific data from the public and I believe Spota lost the point.

Chief Richard Lamunyon of Wichita has conducted one the best worked cases in history. Spota can read about him to see why Lamunyon is a shining hero even if he couldn&#8217;t catch the guy in 30 years.

Let's dig the Burlap Connection and the Nursery Guy. For a moment assume that there is a traceable "Burlap Connection"

How would you trace it?

A ridiculously easy way is, the burlaps read on them "J's Nursery"

Or the burlaps contain some kind of foreign material in them, say residues of fertilizer, a piece of root from a tree sapling.

Or you get a tip like this; "We had 2516 burlap bags in our warehouse, 4 of them are missing, it must be the boss you're looking for."

Or you brute force it, meaning you take the sample (or photo of it), show it to burlap people and try to come up with something palpable.

Now think; how much time would it take to trace this lead of burlaps to the perp?

I say; 1 month, tops.

Once you figure out where these burlaps come from, what do you do next? Check if you can eliminate the person, before registering him as a viable POI. Another month. So, developing a person of interest from those "burlaps" is a matter of 2 months maximum (IMHO)

There are too many locations, fairly high number of incidents for 21st century tech; abductions, dumpings and 6-8 phone calls to sis Amanda, which are traced at least retrospectively.

Given the nursery guy is a well off man to live the life on his own terms, I believe he can have an alibi - as strong as being out of the country - for at least one of those incidents and LE can find out without asking a single question to any actual person, if he is ever developed as a POI.

Spota "clears" the nursery guy without using his name. Because he's all shrewd and we are idiots.

http://www.northshoreoflongisland.c...espond-to-rumor-about-Gilgo-Beach-killer.html

Let's see the hands.

At the moment, LE has jack sh.t, they don&#8217;t know who the killer is. They are preoccupied with holding the 911 call in a vault or better find a way to destroy it once and for all.

Spota has nothing but his prayers that the fire will extinguish itself.

On the other hand somebody is holding four aces. Who is it? The Long Island Serial Killer.

Spota's lack of confidence gave the man an unprecedented power to destroy a top level LE executive in front of the public. Because the point Spota forgets is that LISK doesn&#8217;t have to kill. If he wanted to have some fun, it would take the man just sending some crime related stuff to the media, pop a beer and watch the show as hell comes down on Spota.

To the best of my knowledge, the only person with that much power was Darth Vader who was able to choke a wimpy general remotely on the TV monitor.

For a moment assume that there is a traceable "Burlap Connection"

How would you trace it?

A ridiculously easy way is, the burlaps read on them "J's Nursery"

Or the burlaps contain some kind of foreign material in them, say residues of fertilizer, a piece of root from a tree sapling.

Or you get a tip like this; "We had 2516 burlap bags in our warehouse, 4 of them are missing, it must be the boss you're looking for."

Or you brute force it, meaning you take the sample (or photo of it), show it to burlap people and try to come up with something palpable.

Now think; how much time would it take to trace this lead of burlaps to the perp?

I say; 1 month, tops.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying; using conventional logic, there must be no available two-month burlap-to-perp exercise available to LE, or they would have taken that route and LISK would be solved. No markings, no fertilizer residue, no anything else - unless you're saying that LE can't do basic police work.

I think the "key" to the whole thing, for us outsiders trying to look in, is that conventional logic can't be used at all. Not when trying to link SG to GB4, not when trying to understand LE's behavior in the case, and not when trying to profile this particular BD (yeah, I think I'll start using BD - body dumper - instead of SK).

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying; using conventional logic, there must be no available two-month burlap-to-perp exercise available to LE, or they would have taken that route and LISK would be solved. No markings, no fertilizer residue, no anything else - unless you're saying that LE can't do basic police work.

I think the "key" to the whole thing, for us outsiders trying to look in, is that conventional logic can't be used at all. Not when trying to link SG to GB4, not when trying to understand LE's behavior in the case, and not when trying to profile this particular BD (yeah, I think I'll start using BD - body dumper - instead of SK).

You're correct about using the conventional logic, that we must employ.

What I see is, if there was a traceable burlap connection to that person, some action would have been taken against him (be it surveillance, or being picked up for interview whatever) in a year which is too much time for tracing such a lead.

None of those are done. The explanation; there's no viable "burlap connection" in the first place, IMHO. Not against that person, not against anyone.

And in my opinion Spota's "no clarifying clearance" is foul play, at least to the families (the families of victims and of course the family of the deceased person)

What he does is letting another balloon fly loose in the air. Just to buy time, hoping the problem goes away or gets solved on its own. (The difference between my rationale and others in this forum is I attribute the cold feet to the 911 call)

The risk for Spota is, he's nominating himself for the "biggest loser" since holding everything back from the public didn't pay off so far.

Wow bro so you hang with the drifter, Dolan, Spota..(I hope u don't smoke rock with them)..you got all the angles covered bra

Yea ask him what "three more bodies MR. D means....maybe he's got the answer for that one

Drifter - Never said I hung out with him, just found out who he was.
Dolan - Not the owner Dolan....one of his nephews.
Spota - I go to alot of Democrat events on Long Island. Its called fundraising. How do you think the suffolk democrats execute some of the best, well run campaigns in the country?
Smoke Rock? - HA! even when I partied I never went near the stuff, its a death sentence. I am way too smart for that.

I say Bro, not bra.

"Drifter - Never said I hung out with him, just found out who he was."

LINative13

I don't believe the Drifter has been identified. Can we have a hint on who he is???

I am not allowed to as defined by TOS. I was actually banned for it I belive. But there may be something in the "rumors" thread.

Drifter - Never said I hung out with him, just found out who he was.
Dolan - Not the owner Dolan....one of his nephews.
Spota - I go to alot of Democrat events on Long Island. Its called fundraising. How do you think the suffolk democrats execute some of the best, well run campaigns in the country?
Smoke Rock? - HA! even when I partied I never went near the stuff, its a death sentence. I am way too smart for that.

I say Bro, not bra.

I was only teasing you :therethere: can you expound upon your theory that the drifter (who in this scenario is tugboat capn eric) was not even there that night? Many people seem to believe no one else was there that night...I'd be interested to hear your educated opinion?

well I was hoping you would be so kind as to expand upon it bro but i'll give you a rehash:rocker: of what u said thus far...

Your friends with some of JB's buds :woohoo: from west islip and thru them you've learned the drifters identity, a tugboat captain named eric who was actually out of town on the night of may 1 working at the bp oil spills. So my question is...is this the drifter whose massapequa mom was called? I mean does his mom live in massapequa and is he 48? If that is him, the drifter mentioned in the nypost, what kind of penchant does this guy have for strippers? I mean like to be described as that someones got to be like a serious monger right? Do you know any stories or anything?

I have been like 'white on rice' with those guys since 2004 when they framed my soon to be ex-SIL for crimes he clearly didn't commit. I combined that with prior information I had of them when I was in the NYPD as a detective.

There are a lot of things that trouble me about this case.

1. They were quick to put some distance between Brewer and SG to connect that case to the GB4. You just can't do it that fast unless you KNOW for a certainty that he did NOT have anything to do with SG. It suggests to me that Brewer is an accident waiting to happen - to them if he is run thru the ringer. I know pretty much of what others know about this case from reading the papers.

2. They did (IMO) with the Tankleff murders. The guy that should have been the lead suspect was given a free pass. And that was after he fled to California while Seymour tankleff was still in a coma. It is well known that the man that owed Seymour 500K had drugs being pushed out of the Strathmore Bagel company that was jointly owned by Steuerman and Tankleff had a financial interest in it. Somebody had to go for it, and so the kid was charged. Steuerman could link the whole sorted mess back to corruption in the DA and SCPD.

3. The murder of maureen negus. A woman that was believed to have been giving information to some unnamed LE authority about widespread corruption in SC. GOP Leader John Powell went to jail for corruption. It was said he stole up to 150 pieces of equipment and sold them on the open market. The NYS Chief Admin.Judge, Gail Prudenti was there at the funeral to sing the praises of Powell. The cops framed a fellow by the name of Diaz for the murder. It became the subject of the NYS SIC investigation. The same detective that tried to frame Diaz was the same detective that was allowed to keep his assignment in Homicide and go on to frame Tankleff.

4. When detectives brought back Spota's Chief Investigator back from Florida for investigation on the murder of a man that was giving information about a neighbor of the Chief Investigator - the man was killed only 3 weeks after he was brought to the DA office.

It goes on and on. So the readers will forgive me if I suspect anything SCPD and the DA do.

I have been doing this for 8 years now and learned a lot.

5. A retired homicide detective took it upon himself ( or did he) to write a letter to Newsday debunking some theories in the case. He said he heard the 911 tapes and SG didn't appear to be upset and frantic. He goes on to say that it wasn't true the SCPD rebuffed the help of the FBI. The FBI gave them the use of a BlackHawk helicopter to take ground images. It is kind of hard to speak to a potential witness from a 1,000 feet in the air.

Hawkshaw, because of your mention of the Tankleff case I decided to do some research on it and from what I have found, I now have no hope that the LISK case will ever be solved by the SCPD. They seem to be so busy covering their own butts all the time and if any of them or their political cronies are involved in these murders, they will never be solved. Unless they find a patsy to pin it on. <sigh> MOO. Thanks for opening my eyes. I read today where you said in another thread that this case has already been solved by us here at WS but that's as far as it will go because of SCPD corruption. I'm beginning to believe that.

<modsnip>

hawkshaw, do you have any idea about the two nypd officers who contacted maureen? could M Perez/silver gun know them? Do you know them? What do you think about them? There must have been some talk about them that you heard?

there's no point in bickering here lets just all share what we know and try to fit everything together like a jigsaw... don't hide your pieces!

<modsnip>
hawkshaw, do you have any idea about the two nypd officers who contacted maureen? could M Perez/silver gun know them? Do you know them? What do you think about them? There must have been some talk about them that you heard?

there's no point in bickering here lets just all share what we know and try to fit everything together like a jigsaw... don't hide your pieces!

That is what is confusing to me. It seems so much is in code or that some posters are speaking a different language. It's hard to follow sometimes for someone who is on the Left Coast and doesn't know most of the social, political and work related players.

i'm sure your not the only one who can't make sense of my jibber jabble.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/04/28/ronald-bower-twenty-years-of-torture/

If I remember correctly hawkshaw was pretty vocal about how an nypd officer M Perez was the actual silver gun. I was asking him if he knew of any connection between the disgraced officer and the two nypd officers who were investigated early on...

i'm sure your not the only one who can't make sense of my jibber jabble.

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/04/28/ronald-bower-twenty-years-of-torture/

If I remember correctly hawkshaw was pretty vocal about how an nypd officer M Perez was the actual silver gun. I was asking him if he knew of any connection between the disgraced officer and the two nypd officers who were investigated early on...

I was working in Homicide at the time of the SG Bandit. Homicide was more like a task force and support unit... Homicide in the NYPD is nothing like those units in NCPD and SCPD, and most other police departments. We were down the hall from Sex Crimes and we often went into each of our offices.

This was a big case. Our group did some surveillances for Sex Crimes. Ran some errands, etc.,. It was their case and all we did was to help out.

I remember when Bower was picked up. They brought in some victims and he was picked out. The detectives in Sex Crime were not happy with it. They didn't think Bower did it.

Det. Vito N had the pattern case. He went on vacation to Italy. The case was left with Matty F. Others pitched in as well. Gary T was part of the team.

An off duty detective had a daughter that had some relationship with Bower. The father was not pleased. Don't know if it was romantic or otherwise. He may have been the detective's son in law. He comes in and sells Bower to the cops. They bring him in and bring in the victims. He gets picked out. Arrested and convicted. Matty F, got stuck with an arrest he didn't want to make. He died very young- 45 or so. On his death bed he summonsed his boss Lt.Stan C and begged him to fix this case. Matty didn't want to meet his Maker knowing he was part of this tragedy. It fell on deaf ears with the DA.

Vito, matty, and Gary went so far as to say it was Perez, a cop that did these crimes. The crimes continued after Bower went to jail. Perez was later arrested for being a peeping tom. A silver revolver was found in his possession. At that time NYPD was NOT allowed to carry a silver gun, both on or off duty. You could own one but you better have a blue steel gun on your person if you got involved in a police action, on or off duty.

A victim was brought in and shown a photo of Perez. She said it could have been Bower's brother. In 75% of the wrongful convictions that have been overturned on appeal, a bad ID was the reason. False confessions were present in 25% of the case since overturned with DNA evidence. There have been just about 300 cases so far, thanks to the Innocence Project.

I cannot for the life of me understand how any prosecutor can proceed with a case when the investigating detectives don't believe the person charged did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600