Premeditated?

The deep ligature furrow was formed postmortem. It is not an indication of how tightly the ligature was pulled while she was being strangled. It forms as a result of the body's swelling, and the color is because of the ligature's effect on blood and other fluids under the surface of the skin.
I’m almost afraid to ask for the basis of your claim that the “deep ligature furrow was formed postmortem.”
~sigh~

AK

Whichever came first, I think neither was an accident. If not an accident then this indicates premeditation. But if premeditated, then why decide to do it on the night before their upcoming vacations? It seems like that would be a most unlikely time to do it. To me that is a big argument against premeditation, unless it was for some reason important that she be killed on the specific day she was. Like a sacrifice.

As far fetched as it might sound, I think you could very well be on to something there, and maybe getting neared to the puzzle! Horrible though it is, there are people who are involved in all sorts of weird things that could include sacrifices- who knows, but it can't be ruled out? That would explain the significance of Christmas Day, and possibly why the Ramsey's put that date on JB's headstone?

It's all just my own opinion, of course, but I've always had a nagging sense that there's something darker to this whole case than there appears on the surface- just purely an instinct... Sometimes the truth can be stranger than fiction- who knows?

This may be really reaching, but could they have set up their vacation for the early hours of the next morning, involving unwitting family members, to give themselves a seemingly innocent reason for flying out of there, and fleeing the scene afterwards? Could this be why the family members ended up needing their own lawyers, too?

Or maybe maybe my imagination has now gone completely overboard?!!

As usual, MOO. I am in the RDI camp but I waver on how and why.

I do believe the note came later, as part of staging. The scene wasn't well-staged and the note strongly fits in with that. I don't believe that there was ever a kidnapping intended, though...but even if I did I would still believe the note came after her death because it was just so poorly done and fit in with the poor staging of the rest of the scene.

I go back and forth as to whether her death was premeditated. MOO is that JB was being sexually abused over a period of time, by her father or one of his friends. I sometimes feel like perhaps the death was accidental as a result of some kind of sexual "game". I sometimes feel like whoever killed her meant to hurt her but not kill her. I even sometimes have the wild theory that even though I don't believe the intruder theory, that whoever killed her was trying to remove her from the home to take her somewhere else (I have several theories on why, based on both the idea that it was her father or someone else he knew). Sometimes I feel like her death was planned because she was going to speak out about the sexual abuse (if she had gone to the nurse twice on Mondays after weekends, as stated in Steve Thomas's book, and her abuser was her father or someone he was friends with, I wonder if perhaps they felt threatened that the next time JB was in school, in ten days or however long her break from school was that she would tell the nurse that someone was hurting her.

I remember reading somewhere that she had evidence of prior vaginal trauma suggesting that it wasn't the first time she was abused. I've contemplated (and it makes me sad to think about much less type out) that she was possibly sexually abused twice that night: once before she died and once during or after death.

As far fetched as it might sound, I think you could very well be on to something there, and maybe getting neared to the puzzle! Horrible though it is, there are people who are involved in all sorts of weird things that could include sacrifices- who knows, but it can't be ruled out? That would explain the significance of Christmas Day, and possibly why the Ramsey's put that date on JB's headstone?

It's all just my own opinion, of course, but I've always had a nagging sense that there's something darker to this whole case than there appears on the surface- just purely an instinct... Sometimes the truth can be stranger than fiction- who knows?

This may be really reaching, but could they have set up their vacation for the early hours of the next morning, involving unwitting family members, to give themselves a seemingly innocent reason for flying out of there, and fleeing the scene afterwards? Could this be why the family members ended up needing their own lawyers, too?

Or maybe maybe my imagination has now gone completely overboard?!!

I've covered this ground before, with the variation that the Ramsey's allowed someone else to kill their daughter. Now I have basically ruled out the someone else, which leaves only the Ramsey's. I know exactly what you mean by this hints of something much darker. A part of me suspects the truth lies there, since conventional explanations seem to fail so miserably. Is it insane to suggest that JB may have been sacrificed by her parents?

I’m almost afraid to ask for the basis of your claim that the “deep ligature furrow was formed postmortem.”
~sigh~

AK
No need to be afraid to ask, AK. If I state something without saying or implying that it’s my opinion, I do so based on other information, which I will gladly share with anyone. The more we know and understand, the better it is for all of us.

From http://www.markwynn.com/wp-content/uploads/death-by-strangulation.pdf:
External injury including the dramatic “rope burns” or ligature abrasion only occurs after the body has been suspended for several hours after death. If the ligature is released at the moment of death, there will be no mark in the skin. Leave the body hang suspended by the ligature for a few hours, and a very dramatic furrow and ligature abrasion will develop post-mortem.
From http://medind.nic.in/jal/t05/i1/jalt05i1p10.pdf:
Both, in hanging and ligature strangulation, a ligature mark may be produced by local damage to the skin of the neck due to pressure that may be associated with an additional lateral rubbing action resulting into associated abrasion. This ligature mark on the neck is of crucial diagnostic importance and requires detailed inspection with regard to its course, depth and width. Sometimes the groove retains the pattern of the ligature material (as for example, a spiral weave of the rope). Vice versa, the examination of the ligature material is an indispensable part of the autopsy.

The ligature mark appears as a furrow on the skin whose direction is determined by the point of suspension (knot). Depending upon the duration of suspension, the furrow is initially pale or yellow parchment like area with a rim that is congested or with slight punctiform haematomas. With time, the furrow dries & becomes brownish. The narrower the ligature and the harder its material, and also, the longer the suspension time, the more detectable is the ligature mark on the skin. However, for record purposes, the contrast between the reddish and paler bands of skin can be accentuated in a properly taken photograph.
Also:
Occasionally, when the ligature is still in position when the body is examined, it may appear to be deeply embedded in the skin, sometimes almost out of sight, and on its removal a deep groove may be seen in the skin. This embedding may be accentuated by edema of the tissues, especially above the ligature. Presumably, some passive transudation of tissue fluid continues even after the circulation has stopped, and as such, edema may continue to develop to some extent even after death, accentuating the depth of the groove.
And:
Furthermore, the furrow being mainly a postmortem phenomenon, any inner neck structure injury indicating ligature mark intravitality is to be identified to establish the antemortem hanging.
The above referenced works have additional references at the end for additional study.

There is also more information in the chapter on “Death by Asphyxia” in the book Text-book of forensic medicine and toxicology, Volume 1, by Arthur Pearson Luff. This book was first published in 1895, but it still has a lot of good information in it (nothing about DNA though). Incidentally, for anyone interested, this book is available for free Ebook download at:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Text_book_of_forensic_medicine_and_toxic.html?id=DiO7qn-FQ3UC

~sigh~

AK

me too. :)
Im sure some of it was from swelling but that was tightly pulled around her neck. She was strangled and her air supply cut off. It was not for show.

I've covered this ground before, with the variation that the Ramsey's allowed someone else to kill their daughter. Now I have basically ruled out the someone else, which leaves only the Ramsey's. I know exactly what you mean by this hints of something much darker. A part of me suspects the truth lies there, since conventional explanations seem to fail so miserably. Is it insane to suggest that JB may have been sacrificed by her parents?

I think it's an insane idea to any of us "ordinary" people, who would never contemplate being involved in such things, and it's a difficult thing to wrap your head around. But, I don't think it's insane to realise that, unfortunately there really are people who are involved in such things, and who may even almost lead double lives. It would be naive to deny that this happens. Just because a family might appear to be "conventional", wealthy, successful or glamorous doesn't necessarily mean that they might not be what they seem to be on the surface...

I've no idea, but who knows? Gut instincts are usually right, and I don't think that possibility can be ruled out. What a sinister and unpleasant thought, though!

JMO

I thought it had been established that JB was not hung or suspended in anyway, the ligature furrow being circumferential? In addition, the reddish color (Not yellow or parchment-like) is an indication that she was alive when it was applied as a ligature tied postmortem would look white since livor mortis was fixed at that point (and the blood would not seep back into the skin under the pressure of the ligature).

Could JBR have been strangled "just enough" to render her unconscious, then the head blow was delivered? When she didn't die from the head blow, the ligature was applied?

Sorry if that sounds silly.

I thought it had been established that JB was not hung or suspended in anyway, the ligature furrow being circumferential? In addition, the reddish color (Not yellow or parchment-like) is an indication that she was alive when it was applied as a ligature tied postmortem would look white since livor mortis was fixed at that point (and the blood would not seep back into the skin under the pressure of the ligature).
The quotes I supplied about the medical aspects of the furrow caused by ligature strangulation (except for some variances) are the same whether they were caused by a person tightening it or by suspension. That is what I was addressing in my post about the cause of the furrow.

As for it being "established" that there was no suspension, where has it been "established", and by whom? I've never seen anything but opinions on it, which is all I've ever expressed -- my opinion. I know I'll never get you to see the possibility, DD, because you've tried to dispute it every time it was brought up. (I wasn't bringing it up now.) But there is nothing in the evidence that contradicts it other than misinterpretations of things that have been written and quoted. I won't try to convince you otherwise, and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me either. But that doesn't change what I see as the most likely set of circumstances to have caused all the injuries we know about and that we can see in the leaked autopsy photos.

The quotes I supplied about the medical aspects of the furrow caused by ligature strangulation (except for some variances) are the same whether they were caused by a person tightening it or by suspension. That is what I was addressing in my post about the cause of the furrow.

As for it being "established" that there was no suspension, where has it been "established", and by whom? I've never seen anything but opinions on it, which is all I've ever expressed -- my opinion. I know I'll never get you to see the possibility, DD, because you've tried to dispute it every time it was brought up. (I wasn't bringing it up now.) But there is nothing in the evidence that contradicts it other than misinterpretations of things that have been written and quoted. I won't try to convince you otherwise, and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me either. But that doesn't change what I see as the most likely set of circumstances to have caused all the injuries we know about and that we can see in the leaked autopsy photos.

Although the coroner never stated it, I was under the impression that hanging or suspension was indicated by a "gap" in the furrow- a space where the ligature was pulled away from the skin by the weight of the body. In JB's case there was no gap- nothing to indicate her body weight pulled the ligature away from her. When I see the few photos we have, all I see is a perfectly even furrow, which seems to indicate that she was lying down when it was made and tightened. You know I have nothing but the greatest respect for you and all the work you do on behalf of this case. I agree with nearly every thing you say. But there will always be things we see differently, as will be the case as long as no one knows the whole truth. And that is what keeps this case going- all our different theories. Even among us RDI there are many different theories. I see that as a positive thing- our wheels are turning. And whatever it finally is revealed to be, I will be happy to know that some of us were right- and it need not be ME.

If she was suspended, wouldn't the livor mortis marks not be as if she was lying on her back? Livor mortis starts 20 minutes to 3 hours after death with the maximum at 6-12 hours after death. Would she have been un-suspended (can't think of a better term) within 20 minutes to start the staging?

me too. :)
Im sure some of it was from swelling but that was tightly pulled around her neck. She was strangled and her air supply cut off. It was not for show.

I think you posted about the same time as this:

No need to be afraid to ask, AK. If I state something without saying or implying that it’s my opinion, I do so based on other information, which I will gladly share with anyone. The more we know and understand, the better it is for all of us.

External injury including the dramatic “rope burns” or ligature abrasion only occurs after the body has been suspended for several hours after death. If the ligature is released at the moment of death, there will be no mark in the skin. Leave the body hang suspended by the ligature for a few hours, and a very dramatic furrow and ligature abrasion will develop post-mortem.
Both, in hanging and ligature strangulation, a ligature mark may be produced by local damage to the skin of the neck due to pressure that may be associated with an additional lateral rubbing action resulting into associated abrasion. This ligature mark on the neck is of crucial diagnostic importance and requires detailed inspection with regard to its course, depth and width. Sometimes the groove retains the pattern of the ligature material (as for example, a spiral weave of the rope). Vice versa, the examination of the ligature material is an indispensable part of the autopsy.

The ligature mark appears as a furrow on the skin whose direction is determined by the point of suspension (knot). Depending upon the duration of suspension, the furrow is initially pale or yellow parchment like area with a rim that is congested or with slight punctiform haematomas. With time, the furrow dries & becomes brownish. The narrower the ligature and the harder its material, and also, the longer the suspension time, the more detectable is the ligature mark on the skin. However, for record purposes, the contrast between the reddish and paler bands of skin can be accentuated in a properly taken photograph.
Also:
Occasionally, when the ligature is still in position when the body is examined, it may appear to be deeply embedded in the skin, sometimes almost out of sight, and on its removal a deep groove may be seen in the skin. This embedding may be accentuated by edema of the tissues, especially above the ligature. Presumably, some passive transudation of tissue fluid continues even after the circulation has stopped, and as such, edema may continue to develop to some extent even after death, accentuating the depth of the groove.
And:
Furthermore, the furrow being mainly a postmortem phenomenon, any inner neck structure injury indicating ligature mark intravitality is to be identified to establish the antemortem hanging.
The above referenced works have additional references at the end for additional study.

There is also more information in the chapter on “Death by Asphyxia” in the book Text-book of forensic medicine and toxicology, Volume 1, by Arthur Pearson Luff. This book was first published in 1895, but it still has a lot of good information in it (nothing about DNA though). Incidentally, for anyone interested, this book is available for free Ebook download at:

http://books.google.com/books/about/Text_book_of_forensic_medicine_and_toxic.html?id=DiO7qn-FQ3UC

Hope that helps! :seeya:

Also:
And:

While the furrow formation is essentially an after death phenomena I don’t think it is correct to say that it is “a result of the body’s swelling.” Also, swelling cannot account for the ecchymosis, petechia, abrasion, etc.

If the ligature had been immediately removed, than a mark may have remained around the neck, but there would be no furrow. The furrow formed because the ligature remained around the neck after death. So, the ligature was tight enough to cause the furrow. It was tight enough to cause the furrow, ecchymosis, petechia and death.

Things “settle” around the ligature: the flesh will “move around” to equilibriate the pressure around the neck, there could be transudation and accumulation of fluid etc., this all contributes to formation of the furrow, but I don’t think these processes are necessarily swelling, at least not what one usually thinks of when contemplating “the body’s swelling.”

AK

Although the coroner never stated it, I was under the impression that hanging or suspension was indicated by a "gap" in the furrow- a space where the ligature was pulled away from the skin by the weight of the body.
That’s correct. And I remember trying to explain that in a post a long time ago [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5730738#post5730738"]here[/ame]. But there are two linear marks on her neck. The one (the furrow) is where the ligature was left in place after she was dead. She was obviously not suspended by it because it formed around the cord while it was attached to the paintbrush. But the other linear mark below it is white, which you know is that color because it was formed during the blanching phase. This type of ligature mark is common enough that forensic examiners have a term for it -- an “argent line”. It is the line that is left behind when a ligature is removed from the victim before it can form a furrow. If you look at where that argent line is found on JonBenet’s neck, it is in an upward direction toward the back of her neck -- typical of a suspension. It disappears toward the back, possibly because of the inverted “V”, or possibly because it cannot be seen since it coincides with where the furrow is in the back.

In JB's case there was no gap- nothing to indicate her body weight pulled the ligature away from her. When I see the few photos we have, all I see is a perfectly even furrow, which seems to indicate that she was lying down when it was made and tightened.
That is as would be expected if the ligature was left in place without suspension to pull it away from her body. It would equalize pressure around her neck and become circumferential. Then postmortem swelling (along with the pressure from the ligature) would cause the furrow to form, and the continued pressure on the surface of her skin would cause the distinctive coloration found when the ligature was removed. The amount of time it was in place would be indicated by the exact color underneath (which is explained in one of the links I provided above).

You know I have nothing but the greatest respect for you and all the work you do on behalf of this case. I agree with nearly every thing you say. But there will always be things we see differently, as will be the case as long as no one knows the whole truth. And that is what keeps this case going- all our different theories. Even among us RDI there are many different theories. I see that as a positive thing- our wheels are turning. And whatever it finally is revealed to be, I will be happy to know that some of us were right- and it need not be ME.
Oh, DD. I think you know (I certainly hope you do) that I feel the same way about you. There is no one who knows more about the details of this case than you. I can only try to remember half as much as you know. And what constantly amazes me is that you do it from memory, where I have to bookmark everything, copy things before they disappear, and then look things up that I don’t remember. I’m sure we will continue to disagree on certain points of exactly how this terrible thing happened. And I’m fine with that. Even the so-called “experts” can’t agree on things that you would think are medically clear-cut answers. So if I ever disagree with you (or anyone else, for that matter), you know it’s only to try and find the right (possible) answers. And I have to add that it’s not very often that I do disagree with you.

If she was suspended, wouldn't the livor mortis marks not be as if she was lying on her back? Livor mortis starts 20 minutes to 3 hours after death with the maximum at 6-12 hours after death. Would she have been un-suspended (can't think of a better term) within 20 minutes to start the staging?
Yes, Venom. If my post to DeeDee didn’t explain it well enough, and if you don’t remember what I have theorized happened, I’ll try to briefly explain it. I believe she was restrained with the cord around her neck tied to something else (no paintbrush). When she was struck over the head, she collapsed causing the cord to tighten and strangle her. Shortly after she was dead (which would be within five minutes), the cord slipped upwards over her Adam’s apple (maybe while someone was attempting to lift her) which caused the grouping of petechial hemorrhages on her neck below the furrow. Once she was “un-suspended” (not a bad word for it, I suppose) and laid out on the blanket, the livor mortis would begin. Every piece of COD evidence found by the medical examiner fits (IMO) within the timeframe for what would occur under these circumstances.

Yes, Venom. If my post to DeeDee didn’t explain it well enough, and if you don’t remember what I have theorized happened, I’ll try to briefly explain it. I believe she was restrained with the cord around her neck tied to something else (no paintbrush). When she was struck over the head, she collapsed causing the cord to tighten and strangle her. Shortly after she was dead (which would be within five minutes), the cord slipped upwards over her Adam’s apple (maybe while someone was attempting to lift her) which caused the grouping of petechial hemorrhages on her neck below the furrow. Once she was “un-suspended” (not a bad word for it, I suppose) and laid out on the blanket, the livor mortis would begin. Every piece of COD evidence found by the medical examiner fits (IMO) within the timeframe for what would occur under these circumstances.
Intriguing summarization, otg. I am very interested in reading your full analysis. Where might I find it?

Although the coroner never stated it, I was under the impression that hanging or suspension was indicated by a "gap" in the furrow- a space where the ligature was pulled away from the skin by the weight of the body. In JB's case there was no gap- nothing to indicate her body weight pulled the ligature away from her. When I see the few photos we have, all I see is a perfectly even furrow, which seems to indicate that she was lying down when it was made and tightened. You know I have nothing but the greatest respect for you and all the work you do on behalf of this case. I agree with nearly every thing you say. But there will always be things we see differently, as will be the case as long as no one knows the whole truth. And that is what keeps this case going- all our different theories. Even among us RDI there are many different theories. I see that as a positive thing- our wheels are turning. And whatever it finally is revealed to be, I will be happy to know that some of us were right- and it need not be ME.

DeeDee249,
I tend to agree with your analysis. Also any suspension usually leaves a V mark at the front, and a mark at the back of the neck at a higher point.

IMO the ligature and accompanying circumferential furrow were intended as staging, either to offer an explanation for her death or/and to mask and obscure prior injury to JonBenet's neck.

Although I favor something like an arm-lock or a hand to achieve this, it could well have been some kind of suspension, even one that was forced upon JonBenet by gravity, e.g. she may have been pulled upwards by her neck and left suspended for long enough to lose consciousness, with most of the pressure on the side of her neck, resulting in the mark lying beneath the circumferential furrow?

I reckon whomever initially assaulted JonBenet was fighting with her, there was a struggle, hence the documented injuries on her body. Its this assumption that allows me to come down on the side of a hand or arm-lock causing prior injury to her neck. Since if the suspension comes first, then unconciousness, how do we explain away her injuries?

p.s. With regard to a suspension by gravity, an example might be if during the struggle JonBenet's assailant grabbed her shirt/nightdress in an attempt to prevent her leaving which rode up to her neck, along with JonBenet's momentum and her assailants upward lift, this might result in stasis, leaving JonBenet momentarily suspended?

Intriguing summarization, otg. I am very interested in reading your full analysis. Where might I find it?
I've never written out everything in one single post. But not too long ago, I posted what I think happened to cause the injuries [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9981961#post9981961"]here[/ame]. Everything else is scattered throughout my posts from here to who-knows-where :giggle: .

<snip BBM>
That is as would be expected if the ligature was left in place without suspension to pull it away from her body. It would equalize pressure around her neck and become circumferential. Then postmortem swelling (along with the pressure from the ligature) would cause the furrow to form, and the continued pressure on the surface of her skin would cause the distinctive coloration found when the ligature was removed. The amount of time it was in place would be indicated by the exact color underneath (which is explained in one of the links I provided above).
<snip>

The ligature appears embedded because of how tight it is around the victim’s neck. Not because of post mortem swelling. If the ligature were not embedded, there would be no furrow.

I know, I know, I read your sources. But, your sources don’t say what I think you think they say. Let me show you – everyone – something. This is a video; it’s me, and my garrote – I’m just going to call it a ligature. I made this a few years ago, for some other purpose but I think we can use it here.

Just have a quick look, and then come back here. Stop play at the 30 second mark.

http://tinyurl.com/mg4vvhr

What you see is the ligature embedded in my flesh. Let it play through, but stop every cpl seconds for a good look. See the furrow around my arm when the ligature is tight? Now, watch as it disappears almost instantly when the ligature is loosened.

Go back to that 30 second mark. What if I died right at that moment, with the ligature embedded in my flesh? The furrow – which is already there – would form such that it would remain even after the ligature is loosened. This is what is meant by “the furrow being mainly a postmortem phenomenon.” If I’m alive, and the ligature is removed - no furrow. If I’m dead and the ligature is removed – furrow.

The furrow is not formed because of post mortem swelling. The furrow is initially formed by the compression of the flesh by the ligature. The flesh springs back when the pressure is removed, but if I’m dead, it doesn’t. The furrow is a post mortem phenomenon.

Is there post mortem swelling in such cases? Not necessarily, but there can be. As your own source states, “embedding may be accentuated by edema of the tissues.” http://medind.nic.in/jal/t05/i1/jalt05i1p10.pdf:

Accentuated. Not causes, accentuates. Sometimes, maybe.

The furrow is caused by the compression of flesh as the ligature is tightened, and it remains after death because – well, because you’re dead.

Is there swelling in the Jonbenet case? Is the furrow we see accentuated by that swelling? I don’t think so. It doesn’t look like it to me, but I wouldn’t want to be the judge of that. However, I don’t remember that Meyer made any note of post mortem swelling. Perhaps, I’m wrong about that.

Regardless, the ligature as we see it embedded around Jonbenet’s neck is essentially as it would have appeared at death. It appears embedded because of how tight it is around the victim’s neck, because of how tight her killer pulled it, and, not because of anything that occurred after death.

AK

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back