Press conference regarding previously undisclosed evidence scheduled for a January 16th at 1 p.m.

True, but that's an awfully fancy font to use for an institutional situation.

My impression is that the letters are hand-drawn. Perhaps based on an existing font/typeface, but done "freeehand." And, the way in which the grain of the substrate (leather?) is visible within the lettering, it suggests (to me) some sort of embossing was done, or maybe "bleaching" as the by-product of another technique. I think I can rule out "painting" the letters onto the belt, based on what I can see.

Did they mention that this was specifically a person's belt? I had a random thought that maybe it was a dog collar. IMO

I think it belonged to the killer instead of a victim.

I remember when embossed leather belts and bracelets were everywhere. In the early nineties/early grunge and Lollapalooza days, almost every guy my age (I’m almost 54) had one and used their initials as a conversation starter (“can you guess my name...”). Maybe the killer hung on to the belt long after it was trendy because it was useful.

Those are just my current thoughts but I’m with you, who knows?

I'm going on the assumption that this belt was the ligature found still attached to one of the victims. If that's the case, it doesn't seem likely to me that LISK would use a belt with his initials embossed on it and then leave it behind on the victim. I don't know who the belt belongs to, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it didn't belong to him. JMO

Just a thought, but could the initials be in that particular font style to create the illusion of a third letter like O in the center? Not sure if what i mean is clear or not.
HOM?
beltnew___16140616469.jpg

(Suffolk County Police Department.)

I think it belonged to the killer instead of a victim.

I remember when embossed leather belts and bracelets were everywhere. In the early nineties/early grunge and Lollapalooza days, almost every guy my age (I’m almost 54) had one and used their initials as a conversation starter (“can you guess my name...”). Maybe the killer hung on to the belt long after it was trendy because it was useful.

Those are just my current thoughts but I’m with you, who knows?

I'm going on the assumption that this belt was the ligature found still attached to one of the victims. If that's the case, it doesn't seem likely to me that LISK would use a belt with his initials embossed on it and then leave it behind on the victim. I don't know who the belt belongs to, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it didn't belong to him. JMO
The initials on the belt may not be a person's. It could reflect a boat name, township, sport fishing team, motor sports, equestrian team, etc. Trying to think outside the box.

Harbor Marina ?

The initials on the belt may not be a person's. It could reflect a boat name, township, sport fishing team, motor sports, equestrian team, etc. Trying to think outside the box.

I get that. I wonder if the letters are for a spouse, children, hometown, school, what? I think they’re HM; they seem to sit/work better as HM when I view them.

I hope it doesn’t take nine more years for another clue to be released to the public. Law enforcement says it wants to leverage social media so they need to keep the ball rolling. Of course there’ll be an influx of tips-good, bad and ugly-but the families of the victims and the community deserve information and involvement rather than being kept in the dark. Just thinking about the wasted time in this case is maddening. First Burke blocked FBI participation and now law enforcement refuses to release Shannan Gilbert’s 911 call; it’s all nuts and I know I’m preaching to the choir.

Harbor Marina ?
That seems plausible..
Men's Belts | West Marine
For visual and sizing purposes..
Black Belts

So, there’s 4 unidentified victims (if my research was correct). Time to be searching all the missing persons databases for names that match the initials.

To me it looks more like HM.

I think the belt belonged to the victim because if it belonged to the killer there would probably be a lot of DNA on it vs only a small amount if it was used to strangle the person to whom it belonged.

What makes me wonder is why that piece was left. This killer is pretty smart and has done an excellent job of not leaving evidence. So how did he screw up and leave this behind? To me it seems as though he was interrupted.

Which victim was found with the item on their neck? And where were they found?

The lettering of the HM /WH is unusual, it appears to be the work of a New York Yankees fan

Hello All ! I am new to the boards however I will act like I have been here since the start lol. Anyways the LISK case has always had my attention and last night I just started to watch the A & E show The Killing Season. I have been following case however not as close as some of you. Something that Drew my attention was the Burlap and LISK's use of it. Did you notice that the other victims not on Long Island were also dismembered and I believe that Burlap was also used which lead to me believe that there was and or is only 1 LISK. Something that also caught my attention was the guy who operated the nursery on Long Island that had the Burlap I believe his last name was Bisset? Anyways it was brought to light that he committed suicide and I find that very interesting as it was brought to light that the Suffolk D.A. was about to charge him. What are your thoughts?

Welcome OBOBS and DOMAN8R :)

Last edited:
That seems plausible..
Men's Belts | West Marine
For visual and sizing purposes..
Black Belts

I was being a little snarky. But in all sincerity, I think it's pointless for any of us to try to narrow down the meaning of " HM ". If it is the initials of a name, we don't know it. If it's something random, we won't guess it. Maybe it means Ham Mondays, in which case we should be researching local diners. ;)

Seeing the above post by @OBOBS , I’m wondering if the Yankees logo was what I was thinking of earlier, when I said the font looks similar, but it seems that I may have also across that site on some logo creation sites.

Possible reasons for initials:
It could be a belt purchased at a surplus store.
It could also be part of a uniform.
I hope they release the measurements and photo of the entire belt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back