PTSD sufferers - please post here

Hugs to everyone who has shared their story of PTSD. It is amazing that we have a place to share and support each other. I was once told if you tell your story ten times out loud it will be less traumatic. It didn't work for me but it may work for others. This is a hard case for me to follow cause what happened to Travis is what I thought was gonna happen to me. I don't drink but right after this happened I would eat a one pound box of Whitman's Samplers. It didn't help. I do not believe JA has PTSD. I have been fighting to get my life back for over 20 years and still in therapy. Below is just a brief overview as to what I have gone through for the last 20 years.

After surviving my brutal kidnapping and rape by a man who escaped from a work release center and broke into my house on a Friday in November. As I returned home from work, I entered hell.
On November a man escaped from a work release in Bradenton, FL where he was serving a shortened eighty year sentence. He escaped from a work release program where he was the cook, he took an 18" butcher knife and broke into our house while my then husband and I were at work. He shot our dog in the head, who was a small Lassa Apso, and a member of our family with our gun that he found hidden in our master bedroom headboard. He waited for us to return from work while going through all of our things, took paperwork to assume my husbands identity, went through my pictures when I did photo shoot for a goldwing calander during college and made himself stuffed shells and sauce that I had made and put in the freezer. My husband returned first and was tied up in our office. I came home and with a gun to my head and a knife to my throat, was taken to our bedroom. I was blind folded, tied to our poster waterbed, my clothes were cut off of me using the knife that he stole from the work release, when he cut my shoes off I was stabbed under each middle toe and it hurt soooo bad I feel so bad for Travis, after being brutally raped multiple times he used the gun and knife inside of me leaving a knife wound on my left thigh and the inner private parts, he gagged me again cause he took it off so he could kiss me and stabbed the water bed repeatedly and I was left suspended in air held up by my restraints for hours. He informed me that he would kill me if I called the police and afterward found lighter fluid and gas soaked rags in a bag placed iin every room. I could not break free from my restraints, my husband eventually broke free and found me naked, tied to our bed and bloody. This person stole our car, our money, jewelery, my husbands identity and went on a 10 day crime spree. We were newly married and had done everything the right way. We built our house while planning our wedding and moved into together after our marriage in August. After the attack we had to sell our house because I couldn't go back , our insurance covered some of our losses but we were never made whole. Once captured, this man escaped from the county jail while awaiting trial using bedsheets tied together to scale down the building, I left the state for fear he had my new address and I was the only one to identify him as requested by the Sheriff's office. He was eventually captured later that night. I was only 22 years old at the time that this crime was committed against me.

I started working when I was 15 years old, worked during college and lived a responsible life. After this happened the counselors told us to try to move on and we did but this crime has haunted me. My husband left me when our daughter was 6 weeks old because every time he looked at me all he could see was finding me naked, bloodied and tied to our bed with duct tape. I eventually remarried a man I met at work who was a patient. He has been the sole provider for the last 21years. I have tried to work but have flash backs, anxiety, and post traumatic stress. Our health insurance doesn't cover psychiatric care and when I go to see a doctor and explain what I went through they tell me," it is what it is." We participated in the FL pre paid college program and have been homeowners in the state of Florida for over 20 years. While I try to be a good example to my children there are things that I just can not do because of the crimes committed against me such as, I have never taken my kids to the movie theater because of my fear of dark places, I rarely go to restaurants because of my fear of public places, when my daughter has choir or dance performances, I will attend but have to sit in the back near an exit because I have a feeling that I just can't get over if I feel trapped. This is just a few examples to show you just a little insight from a person through no fault of there own was forced into a life that is limited because of a choice that a prison official made in placing this convict into a work release program. Also at www.flsenate.gov/data/publications/2004/senate/reports/interim_reports/pdf/2004-127cj.pdf my case was at the forefront in changing the laws of work release to what they are today. I can't afford treatment for the mental problems that this has caused me, I can't work to help send my children to college, I couldn't return to school because I am claustrophobic after being tied up and raped, and I was recently told that I could apply for Social Security Disability but I don't know if I can do that because I would have to go to court and as an update I did apply and was denied. Having said this, why should people who broke the law have access to these things and the survivors are once again victimized. This perp was able to go back to school while in prison and become a dental tech.

Most people believe that something like this could never happen to them; it always happens to someone else because of where they live or what they do. I can testify to the fact that home invasion, violent crime and rape can happen to anyone; rich or poor, married or single, man or woman, black or white, this type of crime does not discriminate and neither do the criminals.

I would also like to share that when this happens it is not like in the movies. Your brain does protect you so that you aren't freaking out when bad things are happening to you. It is afterwards if you survive is when your brain brings back the trauma. I did not have a chance to experience the fight or flight because I was immediately stopped and because what Travis went through being held at gun point by strangers I don't think with JA he went into fight or flight until she stabbed or shot him. Your brain just doesn't allow you to think about it while its happening. Sorry for the long post. Justice for Travis and bless you all.

");

sdavidson: So sorry to hear of your problems. On the Social Security Disability, do NOT give up on that. File and appeal. If the time for appeal has passed, go ahead and make a new application - and you can do that online.

Here's the thing, if you are under 50 you are likely to be turned down at least twice before you ever get it. So you file, get turned down, appeal, get turned down again, file another appeal. Then you get to go before a judge - finally! And this is where you usually get approved.

If part of your condition would make it difficult for you to make a court appearance, your lawyer can let the court know that. You don't need to hire a lawyer until you get the notice of the second turn down. And when you get a lawyer, they will take your case for a percentage, so you don't have to pay them anything out of pocket.

I have a family member who sustained permanent injuries from an automobile accident at age 30. It took her over two years to get turned down twice and then finally go before a judge, who approved it. Then they paid her the whole way back to when she first applied in a lump sum (which the lawyer got 20% of) and after that her monthly checks were her own.

Fuze: I hope you are in treatment? Good luck. I recognize the symptoms you describe when in a car. That's why I had to take Xanax for almost a year. Mine did go away eventually. It took about 5 years total until it was fully gone. But that first year was the most intensive due to medication and counseling.

I just want to hug and thanks all who have posted here. :rocker:

It takes courage to speak out against the odds.

For that I personally applaud all of you.

I'm an old lady now,(60) and been involved with a few emotional abusers.
I consider myself smart, aware and a free spirit.

Some of us are affected by charming, well accomplished men. I fell for it, I admit it. Once I found out, I ran like hell. I wanted only to protect myself and my son. I called the police for protection, with good results. Sarasota County.

These psychopaths have no conscious. They only want to bolster themselves at others expense. It's a Power game to them. Power over another to bolster themselves. JMHO.

These freaks have ruined my life. I lived in fear. Lost financial position etc.
They are like energy vampires. They suck your life force, strength and courage.

If not for my very strong women friends who stood beside me, I don't know what I would have done.

Here's to all the strong women out there that have the courage to stand up, protect their children, come together, and make a difference.

Hugs to everyone who has shared their story of PTSD. It is amazing that we have a place to share and support each other. I was once told if you tell your story ten times out loud it will be less traumatic. It didn't work for me but it may work for others. This is a hard case for me to follow cause what happened to Travis is what I thought was gonna happen to me. I don't drink but right after this happened I would eat a one pound box of Whitman's Samplers. It didn't help. I do not believe JA has PTSD. I have been fighting to get my life back for over 20 years and still in therapy. Below is just a brief overview as to what I have gone through for the last 20 years.

After surviving my brutal kidnapping and rape by a man who escaped from a work release center and broke into my house on a Friday in November. As I returned home from work, I entered hell.
On November a man escaped from a work release in Bradenton, FL where he was serving a shortened eighty year sentence. He escaped from a work release program where he was the cook, he took an 18" butcher knife and broke into our house while my then husband and I were at work. He shot our dog in the head, who was a small Lassa Apso, and a member of our family with our gun that he found hidden in our master bedroom headboard. He waited for us to return from work while going through all of our things, took paperwork to assume my husbands identity, went through my pictures when I did photo shoot for a goldwing calander during college and made himself stuffed shells and sauce that I had made and put in the freezer. My husband returned first and was tied up in our office. I came home and with a gun to my head and a knife to my throat, was taken to our bedroom. I was blind folded, tied to our poster waterbed, my clothes were cut off of me using the knife that he stole from the work release, when he cut my shoes off I was stabbed under each middle toe and it hurt soooo bad I feel so bad for Travis, after being brutally raped multiple times he used the gun and knife inside of me leaving a knife wound on my left thigh and the inner private parts, he gagged me again cause he took it off so he could kiss me and stabbed the water bed repeatedly and I was left suspended in air held up by my restraints for hours. He informed me that he would kill me if I called the police and afterward found lighter fluid and gas soaked rags in a bag placed iin every room. I could not break free from my restraints, my husband eventually broke free and found me naked, tied to our bed and bloody. This person stole our car, our money, jewelery, my husbands identity and went on a 10 day crime spree. We were newly married and had done everything the right way. We built our house while planning our wedding and moved into together after our marriage in August. After the attack we had to sell our house because I couldn't go back , our insurance covered some of our losses but we were never made whole. Once captured, this man escaped from the county jail while awaiting trial using bedsheets tied together to scale down the building, I left the state for fear he had my new address and I was the only one to identify him as requested by the Sheriff's office. He was eventually captured later that night. I was only 22 years old at the time that this crime was committed against me.

I started working when I was 15 years old, worked during college and lived a responsible life. After this happened the counselors told us to try to move on and we did but this crime has haunted me. My husband left me when our daughter was 6 weeks old because every time he looked at me all he could see was finding me naked, bloodied and tied to our bed with duct tape. I eventually remarried a man I met at work who was a patient. He has been the sole provider for the last 21years. I have tried to work but have flash backs, anxiety, and post traumatic stress. Our health insurance doesn't cover psychiatric care and when I go to see a doctor and explain what I went through they tell me," it is what it is." We participated in the FL pre paid college program and have been homeowners in the state of Florida for over 20 years. While I try to be a good example to my children there are things that I just can not do because of the crimes committed against me such as, I have never taken my kids to the movie theater because of my fear of dark places, I rarely go to restaurants because of my fear of public places, when my daughter has choir or dance performances, I will attend but have to sit in the back near an exit because I have a feeling that I just can't get over if I feel trapped. This is just a few examples to show you just a little insight from a person through no fault of there own was forced into a life that is limited because of a choice that a prison official made in placing this convict into a work release program. Also at www.flsenate.gov/data/publications/2004/senate/reports/interim_reports/pdf/2004-127cj.pdf my case was at the forefront in changing the laws of work release to what they are today. I can't afford treatment for the mental problems that this has caused me, I can't work to help send my children to college, I couldn't return to school because I am claustrophobic after being tied up and raped, and I was recently told that I could apply for Social Security Disability but I don't know if I can do that because I would have to go to court and as an update I did apply and was denied. Having said this, why should people who broke the law have access to these things and the survivors are once again victimized. This perp was able to go back to school while in prison and become a dental tech.

Most people believe that something like this could never happen to them; it always happens to someone else because of where they live or what they do. I can testify to the fact that home invasion, violent crime and rape can happen to anyone; rich or poor, married or single, man or woman, black or white, this type of crime does not discriminate and neither do the criminals.

I would also like to share that when this happens it is not like in the movies. Your brain does protect you so that you aren't freaking out when bad things are happening to you. It is afterwards if you survive is when your brain brings back the trauma. I did not have a chance to experience the fight or flight because I was immediately stopped and because what Travis went through being held at gun point by strangers I don't think with JA he went into fight or flight until she stabbed or shot him. Your brain just doesn't allow you to think about it while its happening. Sorry for the long post. Justice for Travis and bless you all.

");

Hugs sweetie.

I want to add something. I went to court last night.
My "Boss" an abuser, charged me with pettit larceny.
This has been going on for 6 months.
Long story short. I ran his business for 2 1/2 years.

He is clearly an abuser, his wife tried suicide twice.
She has in the past confided in me, I saw her wounds.

He is trying to accuse me of stealing $$$.
This freak, skipped out on his lease. Landlord brought him to court.
He didn't show up. Strike one.

My "court appointed" attorney is hard to reach.
I am no dope.
Last night, I was not on the docket, but I was.

Everyone makes mistakes, I was told. The secretary was embarrassed.
Yeah, well, here I was yet again. Present and accounted for.

Now adjourned till next month.

This freak wants to bring me down.

Suggestions?

:fence:

My only advice is that you surely do need an attorney whom you CAN get ahold of. So you are going to need to do whatever it takes to accomplish this. If I had to borrow money to hire a competent attorney to represent me in this type of a situation I would.

I look at it this way. Sometimes in life you need a plumber. Other times in life you need a dentist. And there are times you need a lawyer. This is one of them.

Bunnyhop please make sure you document everything, if you can voice record so you can remember your state of mind and tiny details. I also agree with always "GET AN ATTORNEY" good luck to you.

Sha, I started drinking and doing drugs at 14. I finally got sober at 36. I am going to be 9 years sober in 14 days.

I'm married to the man of my dreams. I met him when I was still using. As a drunk and addict, I was also very sexual and a sexual deviant. When I finally got sober, within 2 weeks of stopping I could no longer have sex. We continued to try for a few years but it got worse instead of easier. I lay there screaming in my head to get off me, don't touch me and feel like I'm being raped all over again. I haven't had a pap smear in 9 years because the last one I had, when that chair spreads you and puts your bottom in the air, I freaked out, started crying, screaming, begging her to get the speculum out and not touch me. I hadn't told her about my abuse. that was the last one I ever had. If you give me the choice of cancer treatment if I develop it and don't know from no pap smears vs just dying of the cancer, i WILL pick dying. I don't even like washing myself because I have to touch it. In every other aspect of my life I have done well of letting go and letting God. I feel as if I truly live the 12 steps. unless you want me to be sexual. I am so very lucky to be married to my sweetie. He doesn't even try to touch me and pleasures himself in other ways. I have even told him he can "see" other women for that but he refuses. I am truly blessed by God. I wish it didn't rule my life in that way but it does.

As long as I was drinking my mantra was "get drunk and *uck". That was how I felt good about myself. I literally drank so I could have sex with random men for years. I didn't realize I had to be drunk to be with my husband (as my boyfriend) until I got sober. He married me anyway on my one year sober birthday. He's been sober 13 years now.

I've been a "reader" of this site for years, and finally decided to register. I had been following the "Armchair Psych Disc." thread on the Arias trial, I guess to just see how Arias fit into her alleged "Mental Condition".
I have PTSD, Chronic Depression, and Panic Disorder, categorized as SMI, CMI, don't know which abbreviation is currently used, been so long since my diagnosis, I really don't care..... Native Arizonan, spent my 1st 29 years in Scottsdale and 23 years in Yavapai county, Az., where I reside.:desert:
So, for some reason, I ended up on this thread, read all the posts, and was hit with the realization that the only reason I have followed this trial is Arias' claim of PTSD. I had read the news of Travis' murder in June of 2008, saw the 48 Hours program soon after, wasn't following it, it was just there. And, that was it for me....or so I thought.
It wasn't until the trial started, which I didn't pay any attention to, that I was at the feed store and the clerks were talking about it. It got my curiosity. "PTSD and Memory Loss", whoa, now that was novel, I had never heard of that kind of situation.:what:
I was sexually abused by my grandfather until I was 12 years old. My family being Mormon and my grandfather being up there in the hierarchy of the church, the obvious thing was to sweep it under the carpet. Surely no problem there since my father (a closet homosexual and sociopath) was physically abusive and that just seemed "normal". When I went to school soon after, with a broken nose courtesy of dad, I decided that something had to be better than having the person who was supposed to love you, beat you, so I started self medicating. It somehow gave me the option to see the father who loved me and the monster who hurt me. I also became a "cutter". Nothing made me feel more in control of my life or "real" than self inflicted pain. I was before my time, no one had ever heard of "cutters" or even had a name for it. School was my escape, and though comfortably stoned, I kept an A/B average (not that anyone in our now highly dysfunctional family recognized it). For some reason I became the "Fixer", the child who cares and protects their siblings, which in turn, became the family "Fixer". Have a problem, lay it on me. Never mind my issues and problems, I took it upon myself to make things better for all those around me but myself......
Fast forward to 1st marriage, but of course I would marry an abuser, that WAS normal. He espoused the same religious views and actually got me to clean up my act, win, win. NOT. 6 years of paradise and hell, drama, picking up the pieces, he being incarcerated twice during that time, his drugs, his drinking, my broken collar bone, cracked ankle, busted ribs, etc., etc. The last time he was incarcerated, I knew if I didn't leave then, I WOULD DIE. AT his hands, no less. I took my 2 year old daughter and filed for divorce. Life would be good!
But it get's better, folks! As I'm picking up what's left of my life to begin anew, mom files divorce from dad, and dad needs help running the house with my 2 younger siblings at home..."Fixer" to the rescue! Of course, this was at a price, my life went on hold, dad now verbally abused me, and of course everything was about him, sociopath and all. It was "not a good thing", said in my best Martha Stewart voice.
2 years later, I am remarried to a Born again Christian, yeah! Yeah right. Seems some men think they can duplicate what your previous husband did and it's ok, because you put up with it before. Add into the mix that he had un-diagnosed Bipolar, Paranoid Schizophrenia with psychotic episodes and the fun has just begun. We had recently moved up to Central Arizona. He went into a full blown psychosis (not alcohol or drug induced) 6 years into the marriage, and remained in the psych ward for 3 weeks. I had just taken my 4 year old son to be tested for Kindergarten and they found him to be ADD. Boy, I was just "fixing" all over the place!
And, that's when the panic attacks started, full blown, I'm dying, call 911, Godwhyletmedienow, I can't breath, WTH.:please:
Over a years time I was in the emergency room 3 times, hooked up to all kinds of monitors, and the only thing I got was "Eat more bananas". Seriously, BANANAS. The 4th time I was wheeled in, and all the nurses, interns and techs are doing their thing and I'm convinced death is far better than this, a neurologist happened to walk by. "You're having a Panic Attack". Sure, doc, panic attack, not me, I'm a strong woman who isn't afraid of anything and makes everything work! Oh, how little did I know....That was the night of Christmas 1990, the best gift I ever received. And all my personal demons re-appeared. Divorce #2....la de da.
I have spent the last 23 years learning about myself, learning coping skills, confronting my fears (florescent lights, loud voices, crowds, the BATHROOM for cripes sake, driving, time schedules, et al), being a card carrying member of the "Medication of the Month Club", setting up boundaries, pushing myself to complete tasks, heck, getting out of bed, suffering through med side effects, eliminating "drama", and the people who thrive on it, while being a single parent.
Life is good. I still have panic attacks, but it's cool because I know they won't kill me. I'm on meds that have worked pretty well for the last 4 years, no side effects. I still jump if someone touches me and I am not aware they are going to. I still have issues with people talking loud and florescent lights (sorry, Costco, shopping with you is still traumatic). I do get my rounds of depression, but I can catch them when I start crashing and take it easy on myself.
Although this is a VERY abbreviated tale of my journey, I should come to my point. PTSD is debilitating, frustrating, painful, life altering, and life long. It doesn't get better, it gets DIFFERENT. You NEVER forget the things that you experienced, you just hopefully learn to put them in perspective.:eek:kay:
Arias does NOT have PTSD. Her behavior in the court is proof of that, and I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say that. Being cross examined by PA Martinez would have put most of us in major panic mod and the bulk of us would have definitely been shaking uncontrollably, hyperventilating, and wheeled out by paramedics.:panic:
Here I must say something about Mr. Martinez. What you see in the court is him doing his job. I watched him years ago in the "Sleep Walker" trial, he was just as aggressive as he is now. But don't judge his character by what you see on the television. He is a very private, humble man, who for over 25 years, has dedicated himself to the justice of victims and their family's. He has always been there for the families, to keep them informed, answer their questions, and even comfort them. He has always been honorable and a true asset to Arizona. He did not ask for HLN to televise this trial and he has avoided the press and cameras as much as humanly possible. Personally, I wish HLN would pack up their circus and get out of Arizona.:desert:
So now I realize what the pull was in this trial is for me, "PTSD". I had questioned whether I had become obsessed, now that was scary, but now I find I have found the answer. It was my question of how someone could forget the trauma of the cause of their PTSD. And the answer was......Arias didn't because she doesn't have PTSD.:what:
I was hoping there was a way to forget, oh well, I have lived another day, major kudos to myself, and it was a good one!:great:

Bernina

:Welcome1:

Sorry for what you had to go through. But thank you for posting! Your insight is very valuable to our members.

Sincerely,
fran
:rose:

Thanks, Fran!
Nothing to feel sorry about, I look at it this way: I am the person I am now, because of everything, good or bad, that I've been through, and I might not have become the person I am if I had not!
I am a survivor. The irony is, I have been with my boyfriend of over 8 years, who has bipolar and PTSD from Viet Nam. We make a great pair because we can see when one of us is on the trail to "crashing and burning". It's like the "buddy system", he has my back and I have his.
I have 26 years of sobriety (of God's knows just about everything) and he has 20 years. I notice there was a few posts of peeps who were self medicating......oh man, get to a doc and get out of the "fog", no pun intended, but being sober, getting the right medication and being able to deal with your issues is like having a whole new life! Seriously! I am having my first "childhood" as an adult, well I still have to pay bills, but everything I lost, I have found....It is AWESOME!!!! It is nothing religious, heck I dropped that in my early 20's. I get up in the morning and am glad to great the sun, I am alive for another day. I could have lost that opportunity if I had not, by shear luck or stupidity, been found when I had tried to kill my self SEVERAL times in the distant past.
(BTW: People who commit suicide don't tell people, they just DO IT.)
I am in no way saying it's easy, it's a *advertiser censored*. It rips you up one side and down the other, but it is soooooo worth it! I can now count the bad days because they are so infrequent, where I used to count the good days because they were so few. It's been an incredibly long, rough haul, and I know I'll have my good and bad days. But damn if it isn't good to be alive.:skip:

You all are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your stories. I wish you all healing.

Do any of you PTSD sufferers drink like I do??

I drink very rarely. My father, who was my abuser, was a fifth of Old Granddad a night drinker. 3 weeks after my 21st birthday I found myself walking into the bar not because I wanted to be social, but because I felt a physical need to drink. It scared the bleep out of me. So I stopped drinking. Oddly enough I do have drinker habits. If getting my own pepsi or whatever, I will almost always grab a high ball without even thinking, I will find myself twirling my drink, be it soda, oj, water, milk, whatever, the exact same way my father did. Thank God, that dispite what ALV said on the stand, that seems to be the only trait of his I went i9nto adulthood with.
I do smoke. I would like to quit, but.......

I had a semi-similar childhood to Travis', however it was confined behind appearances of a good "suburban" life. My dad was a functioning alcoholic with a high paying job who used drugs occassionally (drug abuse came after my parents divorce) although he was non-violent he was emotionally empty, and my mom was party girl who refused to grow up. They sent me to my grandparents home, which was bittersweet, every weekend. My grandfather was an abusive monster, and my grandmother was my "savior" and the only person there for me. My grandfather emotionally/physically abused us-- as he did my dad. It ended when my grandmother died when I was 12. Which coincidentally happened at the exact time my parents divorced. My dad got into drugs and would show up in rages. My mom would leave us to fend for ourselves as she partied, and got angry once when there was no food and I went to a neighbor to get some to feed myself and my little sister.

I was in therapy for 5 years in my early adulthood. Never diagnosed with PTSD, but I was diagnosed with a severe social anxiety disorder. Since then, I suffer isolated panic attacks, but have overcome most of the social anxiety symptoms. Extreme stress can though, throw me back into it where it is hard to function normally. Stress management is the hardest aspect of my SAD. I still cannot figure out how it can make me "relapse" in a sense back to social anxiety.

Partying, drinking, and narcissitic defenses is what led me into therapy in my late teens and early twenties. It was extremely easy to mock my mother and fathers behaviors, but was very morally conflicting inside. I had destructive alcoholic/addictive qualities, and very narcissistic defense mechanisms. I'm thankful for my therapist who I'm sure thinks I'm a nutjob, but I'm completely aware and avoidant from the above mentioned vices.Its always scary to know that to the core, those kind of things can lurk and resurface if you aren't extremely aware of what is going on with you. I think thats one of the hardest things of childhood abuse. Is a thin line between being who you were meant to be, and the you you could potentially be if your not careful.

I was diagnosed with PTSD 14 years ago, stemming from multiple traumas in my life going as far back as birth. They now call it C-PTSD (Complex PTSD). My symptoms include (but are not limited) to the folowing.

I cry very easily and can't stop.

I startle (exaggerated) and become very anxious at loud noises (crashes, sirens, glass breaking ) I also startle when someone comes up behind me. I panic and start fighting to get away if I am held down to long (as in play wrestling or intimacy).

I have to rip the neckline of my hoodies and sweatshirts ) if they are even a little tight on my neck it sends me into a panic) My current Sig. other of 6 years, (who has never physically abused me) once playfully put his hands around my neck and I reacted by biting, scratching and screaming.

Most of My symptoms have subsided since having years of therapy and being in a "safe" relationship for 6 yrs now.

I spent alot of time "going away" in my head, lost time, and have amnesia for events. I have experiened the feeling of "shrinking" where I physically felt myself becoming very small and imagined myself invisible. I felt as if I was not in the forefront of conversations and functions, but that another "part" of me was and I was in the background observing.

I would cut myself at times when the inner pain was too much. I could handle physical pain better than emotional pain. I have learned new coping skills and haven't cut myself for over 12 years.

I suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety. low self-esteem and alcohol abuse.

I am for the most part "in remission" but extreme stress and/or fear can trigger any/or all of these very unpleasant symptoms.

PTSD is a very real, very painful disorder that more people should be aware of. IMHO

I am glad there is a thread here for that reason.

I don't think I really have PTSD anymore, although I do think it changed my personality. Well, I do still have some general trust and feelings of safety issues that are on the far side of normal still, I'm sure.

It has been over 20 years now since I got it, and it was primarily due to 2 events that happened less than two years apart at a bad time in my life anyway. I'll tell it straight and devoid of emotion except perhaps bitterness. I swear I just don't open up about this in front of people. It's always been easier to disconnect and not really feel it when talking about it to strangers. That doesn't mean it doesn't still tear me up. It's very difficult to 'go there', isn't it? I'll cry for two days and who needs that ;) ?

So, I was only 15 and out with a bunch of older teenagers at night on vacation with no adult supervision. Long story short, a man tried to hack us to death. He was insane, truly, so I don't even know how I feel about him. But it turned my world absolutely upside down. It was just such a horrible night, and I had always believed that you don't have to worry about someone trying to attack you with an enormous knife! WTF? Excuse my language, but I still can't totally reconcile that these things happen :( Surreal, literally.

So then before I was fully over all the problems that caused -- unharmed physically, mind you -- my relationship with my dodgy but very entertaining best friend was getting a bit testy. She was just a peach about the knife-man incident, btw. I know she'd say she was just lightening the mood, but if I skip ahead and tell y'all that she's a psychopath, you'll understand that she was not a good choice for a support system.

One night I tried to beg off going to a party she really wanted to go to because I was so tired from work, and the party was with a questionable crowd. I insulted her cousin and her taste by saying that. I was blunt about it, too, but I just used the language she and I usually used. I didn't realize that she and her cousin were now very close and 'had so much in common' and that I made her really angry.

There are other reasons, too, but they get complicated. Suffice it to say that she and her cousin were now angry with me/wanted to use me as a cat toy (for the psychopath).

So they said just come over to the cousin's house and we'd have a sleepover, just the three of us. That's what I did.

It's not what they did. I ended up drugged, carted around in cars and houses and raped, with my best friend whispering in my ear right before the worst part (with the cousin's boyfriend). An attempt was made for it to be a gang-rape, and I have to give props to all the guys there but one. I was actually very relieved, because that had been a building issue for at least an hour, where I was wondering who all it would be.

I'm not going to talk about the actual PTSD much at all now, I don't think. It's just too much all together. Mine was the kind with memories that got clarified over time in sick ways. Before the clarity, though, I still had symptoms and flashbacks. The flashbacks were foul and psychotic-seeming and I thought I was losing my mind. I lived with her then. She was the trigger, or sex with my boyfriend was. I didn't realize her full role in that night until after I kicked her out. I think my brain was waiting on me being away from her for that part to be very clear.

My shrink figured it out before I did but didn't tell me until my mind let me in on the secret.

If any of y'all remember the last episode of MASH with Hawkeye and the bus, that's how I'd describe the kind of PTSD amnesia I had, except my symptoms looked more like traditional PTSD psychotic episodes (reliving, not just telling the story). Mine were strange, mostly symbolic episodes, though, much like Hawkeye's chicken-becomes-baby.

One of the worst ones started out with me being convinced I had been drugged by my restaurant dinner, for instance, and ended in me thinking someone was going to come in the bedroom window and kill me and my boyfriend, while we were already covered in blood.

Many of y'all say you wish you didn't remember, but unfortunately then you might have strange nights imaging boogeymen in the window and blood all over you and you don't know why! I seriously thought I was losing my mind. I did MUCH better in therapy once all of my memory came back. I'm not saying not remembering yet is worse at all, but it's no picnic for sure ;)

It helps tremendously to read your stories. Thank you for sharing. I have had years of therapy but have never communicated with others who suffered severe trauma and now suffer the after effects of it. It makes me realize that I am not a piriah. I am not alone, and neither are you!

You_are_not_alone.jpg

I would like to know what treatment to relive symptoms others have used and which were most effective.

At This point, journaling, meditation and prayer, humor, and positive thinking, help keep me sane.

When my symptoms were really severe, inpatient treatment, bi weekly talk therapy, Wellbutrin and Clonazapam were helpful.

Self medicating with alcohol has only ever been a band aid, never very effective

Mine's "Chronic, Clinical, or Severe", I don't know what they call it, SMI/CMI, it doesn't matter anymore. PTSD, Chronic Depression, Panic Disorder.

Medication is so unpredictable. You have to factor in weight, height, metabolism, age,...that's where you become a card carrying member of the "Drug of the Month Club". I fall in that 5% that has nasty adverse reactions, oh joy! Because I am small, 5'1 and 105 lbs., extended release meds build up in my system and after about a week, I feel TOXIC. I feel the effects of any new med within 48 hours....no kidding!
I tell each new doc I get, "If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it!" I know my body, I know when it's reacting to a medication, I know when I feel as normal as I can be.

I was on Cymbalta for a year, the stuff was pure rat poison for me and my idiot doc had me on 3x the recommended dose. I quit cold turkey. She deleted her prescription files on me and changed it to the regular dosage. When I went back, I had my most current bottle of Cymbalta, with the triple dose instructions on it, and my case manager to back me up. (she was the one who found the doc had deleted the med info) Before I could get a word out of my mouth, the doc informed me she was transferring my case to another doc because I have issues working with her!!!!!! Whatever, lady, sounds good to me!

Then I get a really cool doc for a few years and she reads an article that benzodiazepenes cause memory loss in rats...rats, mind you, so she wants to decrease my Alprazolam (Xanax). WHAT?!?!?! Doc, I'm 49 (at the time) who cares if I forget something, I WANT to forget a LOT of things, looks like a "win, win" situation there! So she drops my evening dose .5. Marvelous. Now, at 52, do I still care about rats loosing their memory? Noooooo! If this stuff chills me out so I'm as normal as possible, why would I care? My panic attacks are severe, I can't live or function that way and I certainly DON'T want to end up in the hell I was living in mentally 23 years ago.

Currently, I'm also on Effexor, 75 mg 2x@ day (+ Alprazolom .5mg @4x day). It's not bad.....just throw in the old menopause factor and it can get a bit dicey. This is the lowest number and dosage of meds I have ever been on, WOOT, WOOT! 3 month case manager face to face and 6 month med check w/the doc.
Therapy was years ago and helped a lot. Had numerous "break throughs" that connected the dots for me.

Am totally straight and sober, have been for 24 years. Not an issue for me. But, for those of you who "partake" and use meds, you're negating the effects of your meds, so you might as well just throw them out. That's not me saying that, it's a medical fact. I just quit smoking in January, so I'm still coming to grips with bad habits. Fortunately, this was the last one off my list.

You know you getting somewhere when you can count the bad days, instead of the good days. That WAS me, the good days were so far and few between that I was marking the calendar. Now I don't even bother with the bad days. If I have a problem, I go back and "look" for the trigger and face it.

Having this particular Mental Illness is NOT our fault. It was caused by something or someone totally out of our control or mental capacity. Yes, PTSD has a "Social Stigma". Well, I say scr*w the social stigma. It is what it is and I don't have a problem saying I have it. Sounds like "They" are the ones with the issue. Maybe if they really were concerned, they'd educate themselves. I'm not going to let ANYONE make me live under this "PTSD Life Sentence", on the contrary, Life is that more precious, more fascinating, and every minute is important, whether I'm just chilling out, or doing manual labor outside.

It took me 23 years to get here, there is no quick fix, you have to eat and sleep regularly, have your boundaries, watch for the signs when you start to snowball downhill, take your meds!

Just don't crawl under a rock.......Life can be different if you give yourself the chance!
MOO:rocker:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back