*~* Questions for our locals *~*

Not sure what you are suggesting here. Either way, it seems a body would be discovered.

Oh no not suggesting Anything at all, :blowkiss:

I just thought it looked like it had been reroofed.

:hug:

Never even thought of that, it's just something I saw, Sorry. :blushing:

Well, it has probably been re-roofed at least a few times, but I am sure not this summer.

Well, they are all on private property, and it seems logical to me that residents of SI would have all searched their property thoroughly in light of the searches all summer long. But hey, you never know!

If a landowner lived out of State or out of the area - their property might not be searched over the summer. IDK if the searchers are allowed to search on private property or not - just a thought

SI is mostly farmland or wildlife refuge, with some picnic/recreation areas along the beach. There is a school and a church, and a couple stores that sell farm fresh produce and some convenience foods. There is at least one small restaurant, maybe another. Otherwise, it is pretty much farm houses, and outbuildings--stables, barns, sheds, etc.

But NO gas stations! That is so weird! :(

Hi locals! Another question - how important are the fall months to Sauvie in terms of revenue and tourism? Do the locals rely on their pumpkins/pumpkin patches, etc. quite a bit for income? Are there a lot of school tours to the island in the fall?

Hi Surfie - The fall months are pretty important. The winter months also are. The schools take tours there quite often during the Fall. Yes, they rely on those few months for their income. SI is pretty busy during the summer months also because of the beaches of the Columbia. Except for the farmland and few homes it is pretty desolate there.

Hi locals! Another question - how important are the fall months to Sauvie in terms of revenue and tourism? Do the locals rely on their pumpkins/pumpkin patches, etc. quite a bit for income? Are there a lot of school tours to the island in the fall?

I'll just add my opinion to this..

I agree that the pumpkin patches are a big draw..

When I visited one of the small stores there, I was looking for an ice cream bar =) and the store keeper commented that what I saw was all they had, as they scale back on all inventory during the winter months.

I know hunting season is going on, but I think the fees for permits go to ODFW.

By taking pictures as much as I have and exploring the island a bit more than I normally have, I have noticed there are a LOT more homes out there than I thought..

And some VERY beautiful large homes!!
Along with the mix of everything else you see in any rual area..

I've seen comments somewhere (maybe not even on WS) about the condition of the homes, let me tell you, there are some awesome homes out there!

It's a big island, so yes there are many desolate areas (I'd say more so in the wildlife refuge areas) but I am curious as if there is a population listed for that area( just the island)??

It's a big island, so yes there are many desolate areas (I'd say more so in the wildlife refuge areas) but I am curious as if there is a population listed for that area( just the island)??

Your friend google called me; they asked me to pass this on. ;)

Today …

The island is approximately 24,000 acres—about 15 miles long and about four miles wide, almost the same size and shape as Manhattan. The northern 12,000 acres are owned by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and managed as the Sauvie Island Wildlife Area. The lakes and natural areas are a major stop on the Pacific Flyway and a bird-watching mecca. The southern half of the island is graced by farmland, including Century Farms (some that still bear the names of the early pioneers), farmers’ markets, an organic CSA (community-supported agriculture) and many U-picks. In 2008, a new bridge was dedicated by Multnomah County, its main span floated downriver in a memorable spectacle. With flat roadways, the island is popular with bicyclists and joggers.

Sandy beaches on the Columbia draw warm-weather crowds, and the island is also renowned for hiking, hunting, fishing, and boating. There are not many places on earth where at sunrise you can go on a bald eagle watch and count a dozen bald eagles, paddle midday on a lake whose shores brim with wapato steeped in history, and at sunset travel a half hour into town to an elegant theater and watch Baryshnikov dance. The island’s population: about 445 households and 312 species of wildlife. Sauvie Island is a unique place, indeed.
http://sauvieisland.org/visitor-information/history/

But NO gas stations! That is so weird! :(

Not really. About a mile or so down Hwy 30 (with significant vehicle traffic) is the neighborhood of Linnton. You can fuel up there. Ironically, there are fuel storage tanks all along the river there... bring your siphon hose! :D
There's no 'support' businesses on the island at all.. simply not enough population. The 'store' is like a convenience store. But it is handy if you haven't purchased your parking permit before going out.

.... I know hunting season is going on...
I guess this raises an interesting question in terms of additional people out wandering wooded areas who may stumble upon something: How many of the areas that have been of interest to searchers are open to hunters and actively hunted?

[EDIT: Oops, sorry. "Wandering" and "stumble" were poor choices of words with respect to our hunting bretheren. The whole genesis of my question was the thought that good hunters are methodical about searching for tracks, droppings, rut marks, etc. and would therefore be good at spotting other things that might be in the area.]

I guess this raises an interesting question in terms of additional people out wandering wooded areas who may stumble upon something: How many of the areas that have been of interest to searchers are open to hunters and actively hunted?

[EDIT: Oops, sorry. "Wandering" and "stumble" were poor choices of words with respect to our hunting bretheren. The whole genesis of my question was the thought that good hunters are methodical about searching for tracks, droppings, rut marks, etc. and would therefore be good at spotting other things that might be in the area.]

The last two publicly known searches (10/2, 10/3 & 10/9 & 10/10) I did see SAR's in areas that can now only be accessed with a hunting permit (that would have been open to access "without" one in June).

You are allowed to drive down Rentenaar Rd, but you cannot enter any of the side roads that go off of that road without a hunting permit. Searchers were seen down these roads.

But again, they were all along the road to the Willow Bar which is a public access area to the beach..

Below is a map I did of "SOME" areas searchers were seen the above referenced weekends..

ATV's were seen looking along the ditch of Reeder Rd (west side of rd)
and SAR's w/horses were also seen going down along Reeder Rd headed south from the county line. (west side of rd)

PLEASE NOTE, this is only where I saw them and does not represent all areas searched..

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/ubrmel/Misc stuff/?action=view&current=simappp.jpg

Thanks for posting that link Kimster. Some of the bad press of this case has cast Portland in a bad light. It really is a great place to live.

Do we know exactly which 24-Hour Gym location Terri belonged to? TIA!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back