Rare Mandarin duck mysteriously appears in New York Central Park

Stunning, rare Mandarin duck mysteriously appears in Central Park

A duck native to East Asia is making a splash in New York City's Central Park, partly because of the bird's stunning colors and also because no one knows how the bird got there...
He has a band on one leg. If they can catch the bird, the band should provide some information about where he has been. My first thought is that he is from the Central Park Zoo, but wouldn't the zoo know that?

Handsome fellow.

jmo

He has a band on one leg. If they can catch the bird, the band should provide some information about where he has been. My first thought is that he is from the Central Park Zoo, but wouldn't the zoo know that?

Handsome fellow.

jmo

In one of the reports I read, Central Park Zoo has been contacted. The duck is not theirs.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I agree: The rare duck is a floating work of art. Exquisite!

In one of the reports I read, Central Park Zoo has been contacted. The duck is not theirs.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I agree: The rare duck is a floating work of art. Exquisite!

Thanks for posting the story Bette. That drake really is beautiful and he knows it—‘strutting’ around the pond in front of all of the ducks.

Nest boxes and females, please!!!

Make Way for Mandarin Crested Ducklings in the Plaza Hotel, all due respect to Robert McCloskey, Boston and The Peabody. :)
Yes! It would be fun to have a family started (provided they are happy living in this climate....I'm assuming they are?)

“While we may never know for sure how the creature arrived, the duck is integrating well with its surrounding wildlife, including mallard ducks — a Central Park staple.

'Ducks have their own community, so this is very important,' he said. Ducks need to work together to protect each other, so we don’t want the others to ostracize it.' But luckily for this duck, 'things are going pretty well. The Mandarin is an aggressive duck and it’s asserting its dominance,' Barrett explained."

https://nypost.com/2018/11/02/central-park-is-now-home-to-rare-colorful-mandarin-duck/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back