RC to Plead Guilty

Hi all

Septc ... I *so* agree with every heartbeat that rose in every passionate word you wrote. He's another sexual predator - a killer - and he got off way too lightly, IMO. Had he not been caught, indeed I agree - he'd have done it again, IMOO. He hid and covered up for way too long. To be "proud" your child did ... *that* ... is just too much for my mind [ETA I meant ... by *that* being "took responsibility". Not, JMHO]. The evidence was overwhelming - the DNA all his ... his and his alone; RC 3rd knows it too well; his family also know it ... his legal team ... and everybody .... knows.

It's June 3 2011 ... will the killer be sentenced today?

"You took away my only daughter," Annie's mother, Vivian Le said in the courtroom. "I will never see any of her dreams come true."

Clark killed Le in September 2009, days before she was to get married, and stuffed her body into a wall at a Yale University research center.

Le, 24, was a graduate student who worked at the lab and Clark cared for the lab mice and cleaned the floors.

Le's family traveled from California for the sentencing.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Ray-Clark-to-Be-Sentenced-Today-123090243.html

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/06/03/1691423/yale-lab-tech-faces-sentencing.html

"Clark pleaded guilty in March to murder and attempted sexual assault under an agreement with prosecutors. The sexual assault plea was entered under Connecticut's Alford doctrine, where the defendant doesn't agree to the facts but agrees the state has enough evidence to get a conviction."

Clark's less than complete admission seems implausible from the evidence already released, but it might have something to the continued loyalty of his fiancee. To outsiders, it would seem ridiculous to quietly dispute the sex charge while freely admitting the murder, but a workplace argument is much easier to rationalize to one's family circle than a violent sexual assault that ended as a killing.

I have not heard yet what Clark said at the sentencing.

P.S. This is the first report I have read of Clark's apparently very general statement:

Clark spoke publicly for the first time at Friday’s sentencing. He did not offer a motive or explanation for his actions.

“I’m sorry I lied. I’m sorry I ruined lives. And I’m truly, truly sorry I took Annie’s life,” Clark told the court. He said she was a good person, better than he’ll ever be. Then he formally received his sentence of 44 years behind bars for murder. He also received a concurrent 20-year sentence for attempted sexual assault.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/annie_le_raymond_clark/id_37107

Thank you, Chanler ... I've been counting down the days!

Sometimes ... "sorry" ... is just not good enough. Don't know about ayone else, but I *cringed* reading his description of Annie Le. To me that was adding an absolute and diabolical insult to another lifelong injury he caused: the permanent pain within Annie's family. I could go on, of course ...

Also saw this:

Clark pleaded guilty in March to murder and attempted sexual assault under an agreement with prosecutors. The sexual assault plea was entered under Connecticut's Alford doctrine, where the defendant doesn't agree to the facts but agrees the state has enough evidence to get a conviction.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APc0269307cff24c9b9d0e6772066e7865.html

Thank you, Chanler ... I've been counting down the days!

Sometimes ... "sorry" ... is just not good enough. Don't know about ayone else, but I *cringed* reading his description of Annie Le. To me that was adding an absolute and diabolical insult to another lifelong injury he caused: the permanent pain within Annie's family. I could go on, of course ...

Also saw this:

Clark pleaded guilty in March to murder and attempted sexual assault under an agreement with prosecutors. The sexual assault plea was entered under Connecticut's Alford doctrine, where the defendant doesn't agree to the facts but agrees the state has enough evidence to get a conviction.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APc0269307cff24c9b9d0e6772066e7865.html

Hi, PokrSaladAnnie; yes, like you, I have been waiting for this day. One thing that always struck is that Annie wasn't just a good, well-liked person; she had already turned herself into a scientist whose good works would benefit many others.

"Le was a doctoral pharmacology student who worked on a team that experimented on mice as part of research into enzymes that could have implications for treatment of cancer, diabetes and muscular dystrophy."

The other thing I keep thinking about is the physical disproportion between killer and victim:

Prosecutor David Strollo said Le had a broken collar bone and jaw, injuries suffered while she was alive, and that her underwear had been disarranged. He noted that the victim was 4 feet nine inches and 89 pounds, while Clark was 5 feet 9 inches and 190 pounds

As feisty as she was, this brave young woman didn't have a chance.

Oh, Chanler ... I couldn't resist coming back in here ... because ... I wrote in my post above "I could go on...". In fact, I'd chopped off my next lambasting ... which followed just the lines you wrote... tho brimming with anger and resent - here's what I was going to add:

"This beast of a man (a floor cleaner and rat carer) was probably double the size of (the very gifted, talented and promising) Annie Le and .... Clark snapped her bones before killing her in what had to have been a most torturous manner for all those injuries."

Chanler, I trust in karma - I believe he'll probably suffer a few broken bones in prison - when fending off a sex-hungry convict... I don't wish it - I just expect it to happen.

Anyway - if this is justice - he's toast. The father's "pride" Clark's "Annie" speech ..... was just too much for me. On that note, I bid you a great day; may Annie's soul rest in peace (and I've always enjoyed your posts: grounded, wise, caring, deep, genuine. I do wish some of your 'rays' would always shine through my lap top ... and into my life, LOL).

Go well,

Polk :seeya:

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/06/03/news/doc4de93321289c3964710848.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Raymond Clark's father specifically acknowledges the crime: “I say this to underscore how shocked we were to hear that Ray committed this horrible, senseless offense. ... This is not the Ray we know and raised; we can’t explain or make sense of this.”

Clark would not acknowledge the sexual aspect of the crime, but to me, the evidence sounds completely compelling: "Prosecutors said Clark’s semen was found on Lee’s pantyliner. When her body was found, they said, her bra was pushed up and her panties pulled down."

Yale lab technician sentenced in killing of graduate student

"“She was about to start her life as a young bride,’’ said Le’s mother, Vivian. “She told me many times how happy she was to start her family. I will never see her walking down the aisle. I will never hold my grandchildren. I will never see Annie’s dreams come true.’’

“I only see my Annie in my dreams,’’ she added."

more at http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2011/06/04/yale_lab_technician_sentenced_in_killing_of_graduate_student/

How very sad for Annie's family. My prayers for them to somehow find peace.

:rose:

Just watching the few moments of her brother's statement at the press conference was absolutely heart-wrenching. Far too much pain inflicted on these good people. At least the family is satisfied with the legal outcome, not having to go through the ordeal of a trial. I understand that some think the sentence should be more severe but 44 years in prison without the possibility of parole is a long time.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/annie-le-family-files-lawsuit-yale/story?id=14464186

Nearly two years to the day that she was murdered, the family of Yale graduate student Annie Le has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the university. The suit, filed Tuesday in Connecticut Superior Court in New Haven, claims Yale failed to adequately protect women for years, accusing the college of insufficiently addressing incidents of sexual harassment and sexual assault on campus.
The university took "inadequate steps to ensure the safety and security of women on its campus" in the years before Le's murder, the suit claims. The court action also asserts that Yale botched the search for Le after she went missing in September of 2009.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back