Re: Obsession with movies

RN author obsessed with movies?

• Yes, obsessed with movies

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, not obsessed with movies

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
You can actually create your own experiment.

Have a person write a three page ransom note and analyze it.
See if there are not any visible movie an literal references in it.

Oh, I see. You make an empty claim (people who write ransom notes use visible movie an literal references) and I'm supposed to prove/disprove it.

Thanks but no thanks.

But, you've given me an idea...that the ransom note is devoid of vernacular. The ransom note is a generic.

Oh, I see. You make an empty claim (people who write ransom notes use visible movie an literal references) and I'm supposed to prove/disprove it.

You seem to be openly hostile, for some bizarre reason. Why?

This hostility is making it near-impossible to have an open dialogue with you.

You seem to be openly hostile, for some bizarre reason. Why?

This hostility is making it near-impossible to have an open dialogue with you.

We've gone from the unsupported argument to the ad hominem argument.

When you're ready for a real argument let me know...

Get used to it.

Hi Mastermind

In my short time on this forum, I've come to realise that just having an 'opinion' on something is fine, but if you want to 'voice' it here, you'd better be able to back it up with some evidence.

Unfortunately, you get a lot of 'well, I think the sky is green and I don't care what anyone else thinks' from casual observers. When some of us here actually think we are working quite hard to find a solution to this, what's become known as the 'hit and run' posters get pretty short shrift.

If you've got something to contribute, great, join in, but get ready to defend your position.

Hi Mastermind

In my short time on this forum, I've come to realise that just having an 'opinion' on something is fine, but if you want to 'voice' it here, you'd better be able to back it up with some evidence.

Unfortunately, you get a lot of 'well, I think the sky is green and I don't care what anyone else thinks' from casual observers. When some of us here actually think we are working quite hard to find a solution to this, what's become known as the 'hit and run' posters get pretty short shrift.

If you've got something to contribute, great, join in, but get ready to defend your position.

Everything MurriFlower says here goes for everybody.

If this ransom note is fake, it stands to reason that like any piece of fiction, it would contain references to movies and literature. The author would be trying to pull every reference to a ransom note from his memory.

If it was genuine, the author would have written and used language that were necessary to the success of the caper.

I easily disagree.

If the ransom note is fake, its authors would want the ransom note to be as convincing as possible--to make LE believe it was a real kidnap for ransom. Why, then, would the fake ransom note authors use obvious lines from movies? I mean, everybody recognizes these lines. The reader would then naturally doubt its credibility, take it even less seriously, believing the ransom note to be simply bogus copied material.

If the ransom note is fake, its authors would want the ransom note to be as convincing as possible--to make LE believe it was a real kidnap for ransom

1.If Jonbenet's body was never found,the ransom note would have been taken very seriously.The FBI would have gone through the standard procedure in a kidnapping case.

The biggest reason why the ransom note wasn;t taken seriously....was because the killer left Jonbenet's body in the basement. How seriously could this ransom note be if the killer didn;t even follow through with it?

2. How many middle case husbands and wives know how to compose a proper ransom note? I would think like most of us, we would use every cliche done in movies and books.

3. The time factor is important here. If the ransom note was written in the home, the writer probably didn't have a lot of time to proofread or notice the mistakes. This letter may have been written in a frenzied rush.

4. If an attacker wrote it before the killing, the letter is not going to be all that accurate to begin with. He's writing about an incident that hasn't even happened yet.

HOTYH,

Am i correct in saying that you believe the ransom note is genuine?

1.If Jonbenet's body was never found,the ransom note would have been taken very seriously.The FBI would have gone through the standard procedure in a kidnapping case.

The biggest reason why the ransom note wasn;t taken seriously....was because the killer left Jonbenet's body in the basement. How seriously could this ransom note be if the killer didn;t even follow through with it?

2. How many middle case husbands and wives know how to compose a proper ransom note? I would think like most of us, we would use every cliche done in movies and books.

3. The time factor is important here. If the ransom note was written in the home, the writer probably didn't have a lot of time to proofread or notice the mistakes. This letter may have been written in a frenzied rush.

4. If an attacker wrote it before the killing, the letter is not going to be all that accurate to begin with. He's writing about an incident that hasn't even happened yet.

HOTYH,

1. Yes, leaving the kidnapee's body is a very silly thing to do if you want to get ransom.
2. How many kidnappers do you know?
3. If time was a factor, then just write - "We have your daughter. Don't tell anyone or she will die. We want $ X for her safe return, will contact you with instructions." That'd take a few minutes.
4. If it was written before the killing (and I think it was) then the killing wasn't meant to happen.

1.If Jonbenet's body was never found,the ransom note would have been taken very seriously.The FBI would have gone through the standard procedure in a kidnapping case. The detective on-scene asked JR to search the house for anything unusual, after the phone call didn't come. The detective didn't know JBR was in the basement. Up until then, it WAS being handled as if it were a kidnap for ransom.

The biggest reason why the ransom note wasn;t taken seriously....was because the killer left Jonbenet's body in the basement. How seriously could this ransom note be if the killer didn;t even follow through with it? This is a question best left for after the killer is known. I suggest reading about some other cases like Leopold and Loeb or the Lindbergh baby, to see HOW MANY DETAILS WERE DISCOVERED ONLY AFTER APPREHENSION AND QUESTIONING.

2. How many middle case husbands and wives know how to compose a proper ransom note? I would think like most of us, we would use every cliche done in movies and books. This ransom note would've worked on LE, FBI, and parents with only about 25 or 30 words. You'll be needing a reason why this ransom note author went ON and ON and ON and ON. Was it to conceal their handwriting (lol)?

3. The time factor is important here. If the ransom note was written in the home, the writer probably didn't have a lot of time to proofread or notice the mistakes. This letter may have been written in a frenzied rush. Wrong. This intruder had hours and hours while the R's were at the Whites.

4. If an attacker wrote it before the killing, the letter is not going to be all that accurate to begin with. He's writing about an incident that hasn't even happened yet. "At this time we have your daughter..." Here you go believing the ransom note AGAIN. Why would the RN author write 'at this time'. Isn't that a given?

HOTYH,

From the Member Theories thread:

"(vii) What pieces of evidence are for real and what are red herrings"

Apply this to the ransom note, consider its 14 years later, and know that some may be truth and some may be lies. The SFF not only hasn't been ruled out but evidence is starting to indicate exactly that.

Bottom line: You don't have a DNA owner, a handwriting match, or anyone coming forward (e.g. Unabomber), despite 14 years of throwing people under the bus.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back